PDA

View Full Version : Dominican Republic... Ever been?

catman-do
02-26-2007, 08:10 AM
We are thinking about going there for our honey moon in July. I was wondering if anyone has ever been and what there is to do there or what to expect... besides the normal stuff like peddlers, humidity, possible rain etc..

x7734x
02-26-2007, 09:31 AM
We are thinking about going there for our honey moon in July. I was wondering if anyone has ever been and what there is to do there or what to expect... besides the normal stuff like peddlers, humidity, possible rain etc..
Just went in January. It was amazing, although I would have rather went down to a Resort in Punta Canta after seeing pics from there. We went to Puerto Plata and we got a really good deal on the trip we went on and I would definitally go again. The humidity is not bad at all, the rain only lasts for a few minuets at a time. Definitally look into the scuba or snorkeling trips lots of good coral reefs. All the activities really depend on where you are at on the island.

cdog
02-26-2007, 09:55 AM
We went over last Thanksgiving. Cool place. Stayed at the Hamaca Coral. Decent diving. We recieved our Padi advanced open water cert. there.

beer truck
02-26-2007, 07:10 PM
Last time I was there was about 20 years ago. The main city was very poverty stricken, with beggers, and armed guards. We were about to leave after the first night,when we found a private resort called Casa De Campa, and that was great. It had it's own golf course, stables, private beaches, and restaurants. My parents still go there for golf every year, and tell me it's amazing how much it has grown.
I have found that if you are looking for culture, stay and mingle with the natives. If you are looking to be pampered, find a private resort, that's designed to do that.

GunninGopher
02-26-2007, 09:06 PM
My wife and I went to Punta Cana in Oct. of 2005 and loved it. We stayed the Occidental Allegro Punta Cana with an RCI swap. We opted for the VIP upgrade and didn't regret it for one second.
It was as if our resort was cut out of the Jungle, as were all in Punta Cana. We did an all day excursion and both felt that was the most fun we had the whole trip. We went to a school, cocoa plantation, cigar factory, went to a local ranch, kicked it at a private beach where we climbed palms to make coco-loco's (or at least tried), and a ton of other stuff.
I would try an RIU resort next time, since we have been really impressed with RIU since, but Punta Cana is awsome if you don't care about the club scene. If you are into that, then you should go to Cancun or a more trendy spot.
We spent our honeymoon on a houseboat on Lake Powell, and then 3 nights in Laughlin. If you like boating and don't mind the work, you just can't beat spending 5 straight days alone and mostly naked with you new wife.

Riomouse911
02-26-2007, 09:34 PM
I went to an Angel game last year, does that count?

catman-do
02-27-2007, 10:03 AM
We were looking into the Puerto Plata at first but the waters looked like they had alot of coral in fairly shallow waters. Dont want to get my feet cut up, then i cant perform any spectacular honeymoon tricks at night! ;) We are now looking at Punta Cana, specifically Grand Palladium Bavaro, or Melia Caribe. We were going to trade in the RCI, but i guess we dont have a week this year since we booked Europe for next year.
Not into the clubs all too much, just want to relax, maybe do some hiking in the rain forest, hit some local spots. Ive also heard that Christopher Columbus is burried their, so i might want to check that out. This place is all inclusive, does anyone know if the dominican beers are good? Maybe a comparison to a known brand over here? Similar to Red Strip? (my favorite!)

x7734x
02-27-2007, 10:54 AM
I'm not a drinker but everyone in my group was raving about EL PRESIDENTE. That's one of the Dominican beers and they said it was dam good.

Ms.Havasu
02-27-2007, 11:04 AM
We stayed at Melia Caribe last year. I wouldn't go back. There is a big difference between a thrid world country and a second world country. The food was not good at all and the acolhol was the cheap rot gut type. We couldn't wait to get home.
If you do go, pay for the VIP upgrade. That's the only thing we don't regret about the trip. Oh, the wedding we went to on the beach was worth it:)
The upgrade will get you reservations at the resturants, otherwise be prepared to only eat at the buffets and they are awefull.
Just my .02 but I would go to Cancun.

Ms.Havasu
02-27-2007, 11:07 AM
I'm not a drinker but everyone in my group was raving about EL PRESIDENTE. That's one of the Dominican beers and they said it was dam good.
El presidente is the only beer you can get at the resorts. S-U-C-K-S !

Panic Button
02-27-2007, 03:04 PM
Definitally look into the scuba or snorkeling trips lots of good coral reefs.
The reef's in DR are by far the POOREST in the Carribean (you want verification look at scubaboard.com & yes I dive (MSDT)). Tons of over fishing and pollution. If you're into sitting on the beach and not venturing off the resort DR can be a good deal. Watch your stuff and use the in room safe, crime is rampant. We've been there 3 times (Punta Canta & Punta Playa), and if were free we'd go back, if not no way. Cozumel, Riveria Maya Mexico, Jamaica, BVI's USVI any place else is better...