PDA

View Full Version : Who bought an 08 Super Duty?

FREIND OF AA AND TA
02-26-2007, 02:53 PM
I looked at them and love them! Have we heard of any issues? Are they as awesome as they seem? Killin me!!! I want one!!!!!!!! I am scared to buy the first ones though.

UnionJack
02-26-2007, 03:06 PM
Dodge has a new Motor and transmission in their 2007 2500's. 6.7 liter, and a 6 speed tranny

lake p.a.l.
02-26-2007, 03:08 PM
We saw one at Nautical yesterday morning. Seemed to be much more quiet than the 6.0 motor. Looked really good.

Big Kahunaa
02-26-2007, 03:08 PM
went and looked at them on saturday they are nice one thing that was cool it has a oil cooler for the turbos but the small print in the brochure says the f-450 is detuned buy a few horsepower

Jungle Boy
02-26-2007, 03:12 PM
Never buy the new model year unless you have a job that allows you be without a truck for a while. I've basicly gotten a new truck every 2-3 years for the past 23 years and have always waited for a year. Let the guys that can't wait work out the mechanical / computer issues for you.

dmontzsta
02-26-2007, 03:14 PM
I know they are as quiet as a damn V8, bitchen motors in them, the bi-turbo should do well.

Trailer Park Casanova
02-26-2007, 03:36 PM
Our only gripe is the very hard seats, and brutal ride.

blown65
02-26-2007, 03:46 PM
went and looked at them on saturday they are nice one thing that was cool it has a oil cooler for the turbos but the small print in the brochure says the f-450 is detuned buy a few horsepower
F-450 is detuned if you order with a stick or with an auto and 4:88 gears. If its the 4:30 gears its still full power.
Ours is on order also, just waiting till mid March for arrival.
If you want to compare brutal ride, then compare to the GM 4500/5500 (which tech cant haul as much) That POS rides like a tank.

dumbandyoung
02-26-2007, 03:49 PM
I know they are as quiet as a damn V8, bitchen motors in them, the bi-turbo should do well.
I heard one up close, boy they sure are quiet. I have a family member that works for ford, Im gonna test drive one for shiits and giggles when time permits. I just bought a 06 powerstroke a few months ago. I thought about waiting for the 08 but I had a wild hair up my ass and couldnt wait.
I also didnt want to but the first year. Ford had some bugs to work out with the 6.0 so i figure the 6.4 will have its problems too. Once its all tuned right in a year or so the twin turbo will be bad ass!
Heres a lifted one!

havaduner
02-26-2007, 04:10 PM
If you can, wait a while. A friend of mine has a brother works for Ford. He says everyone that was sent to AZ proving grounds was sent back with blown motor, but Ford going ahead with release anyways. They'll get it worked out, looks like a nice truck. BTW, my 4500 rides great, as long as it has 1500 lbs or more in the bed!:eek:

Big Warlock
02-26-2007, 04:19 PM
Still says FORD on the side! LOL :D

NashvilleBound
02-26-2007, 04:25 PM
I saw my first one in person the other day. Inside is cool just not a huge fan of the exterior..... nice, just not what I thought it was going to be. I am sure it will grow on me. I took posession of my 07 Denali (SUV) for this summers towing requirements. Its amazing. It even has an oral option as I drive...oh, shit....thats the wife, sorry, I thought it was another button I pushed :D :D :D

riverbound
02-26-2007, 04:37 PM
I heard they still had some issues with them, mainly being overheating type issues..... I will stick with my proven 5.9 cummins ;)

rivercrazy
02-26-2007, 04:38 PM
I hope you like pushing that Ford. I hear Navistar stopped shipping the new 6.4L diesel............

HammerDown
02-26-2007, 04:45 PM
I hope you like pushing that Ford. I hear Navistar stopped shipping the new 6.4L diesel............
Due tell, from a friend of a friend whos cousin heard it from a Chevy owner...right?:rolleyes: :D

Jordy
02-26-2007, 04:49 PM
Due tell, from a friend of a friend whos cousin heard it from a Chevy owner...right?:rolleyes: :D
Nope. Some pissing match between Ford and International. No more 6.4 Powerstrokes are being shipped. ;)
Guess that will just be less to recall. :D
http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/chi-070226navistar,0,5622287.story?coll=chi-business-hed

rivercrazy
02-26-2007, 04:58 PM
If I was Navistar and shipping Ford on open credit, I be very nervous........

Jordy
02-26-2007, 05:08 PM
More:
Navistar halts engines for Ford
The truck and engine maker has stopped shipping diesel engines to the automaker over a contract dispute.
February 26 2007: 4:34 PM EST
CHICAGO (Reuters) -- Navistar International Corp. said Monday that it had stopped shipping diesel engines to Ford Motor Co. that power the automaker's key F-Series Super Duty pickup trucks because of a contract dispute.
Navistar builds the 6.4-liter Ford Power Stroke diesel engine for the 2008 Ford F-Series Super Duty, a key launch this year for the automaker in its move to rebound from billions of dollars of losses in recent years.
2008 Ford F250 Super Duty
Video More video
Simple tips will keep you from being take for a ride at the auto shop. CNN's Greg Hunter reports (February 23)
Play video
The truck and engine maker said Ford had stopped honoring terms of its agreement with Navistar and it would halt production for the automaker immediately.
"We shipped the last engines to Ford last week," Navistar spokesman Roy Wiley said.
Make-or-break year for Big Three
Bear Stearns analyst Peter Nesvold said Ford and Navistar are "tied at the hip," with Ford relying on the Navistar diesel engine and Navistar on the Ford production. If the disruption extends for more than a month, it could lead to $11.6 billion in annualized revenue loss for Ford.
"While we don't currently expect an extended outage, 30-plus days would be material to both Navistar and Ford," Nesvold said in a note to clients.
Navistar produces about 400 of the engines per day for Ford, down significantly from about 1,060 per day at peak production, Wiley said.
Navistar plans to shut its Indianapolis facility that only produces engines for Ford temporarily, Wiley said. It has 700 workers at the engine plant and 500 at the foundry.
A Huntsville, Alabama, facility also has suspended production of engines for Ford. It also builds engines for other customers and is expected to remain open, Wiley said.
Super Duty trucks are the most popular vehicles in their class, averaging 50 percent market share in the heavy-duty pickup truck segment during the past five years.
Ford memo calls recovery off track
Ford sued Navistar in January over warranty costs and engine prices. The automaker had delayed the launch of the Super Duty pickup truck after ongoing problems with Navistar.
Warrenville, Illinois-based Navistar has been the exclusive diesel engine supplier for heavy-duty Ford pickup trucks since 1979 through its International Truck and Engine Corp.
Navistar has said it invested more than $100 million in new machinery and other equipment at its manufacturing facilities in Indianapolis and Huntsville to build the new engine.
Navistar (down $1.90 to $42.10, Charts) shares fell 1.4 percent in morning trading on the New York Stock Exchange, while shares of Ford (down $0.04 to $8.26, Charts) were little changed.
The NYSE delisted Navistar shares earlier in February because it had missed a deadline for filing its financial reports.

Trailer Park Casanova
02-26-2007, 05:19 PM
Isn't the real dispute is Ford wants Navistar to pick up a good portion of the costs of the 6.0 problem?

Jordy
02-26-2007, 05:29 PM
Isn't the real dispute is Ford wants Navistar to pick up a good portion of the costs of the 6.0 problem?
Oh, you mean the one where Navistar is building the long blocks and rating them at something like 225HP and Ford is bolting on all the accessories and twisting them up with the fuel curve and lots of boost to over the 300HP mark and then blaming Navistar when they start blowing up??? That's the version I heard from a pretty reliable source anyway. :D

Magic34
02-26-2007, 05:34 PM
I am giving it some time to make sure that motor is good to go. I will probably order a new F450 at the end this year or spring of 2008.
Doesn't look like Chevy will come up with an answer for this truck.
I sat in a new F450 Lariat last weekend and it was NICE. Up until that point, I was never impressed with the exterior or interior of the Ford. It just went past Chevy in my book. I wish it had the Duramax but that is why I am waiting to see how it all plays out with how this motor does.

Riveratz
02-26-2007, 06:25 PM
I have an 07 F350 Lariat that I bought in Sept. of 06. So far 12K miles of no problems. But I did test drive an 08 Superduty F350 this past weekend and wow. They have made a lot of changes. Motor is so quiet, Ride is nicer and the turning radius is much better. Hopefully for ford the 6.4 will be ok. IMHO I would wait just because it is a ford and with there prior issues. Just my .02 worth.

riverroyal
02-26-2007, 06:27 PM
2 ford techs last week,my 6.0 hasnt been so good.So I was asking them about the new 6.4.One tech said wait a year,the other said buy a V10

dumbandyoung
02-26-2007, 06:43 PM
2 ford techs last week,my 6.0 hasnt been so good.So I was asking them about the new 6.4.One tech said wait a year,the other said buy a V10
Umm V10. no way! If I was in your shoes i would just get a kick as deal on a 06 or 07 6.0....wait thats what i did! lol
V10s are gay! get the 6.0 now or wait a year for the 6.4 my .02

riverroyal
02-26-2007, 07:40 PM
Umm V10. no way! If I was in your shoes i would just get a kick as deal on a 06 or 07 6.0....wait thats what i did! lol
V10s are gay! get the 6.0 now or wait a year for the 6.4 my .02
V10 no issues at all,perfect truck.Traded that in on a 05 6.0 diesel,at 30k miles,new turbo,innercooler,rear main seal twice,a/c pump,6,YES 6 oil leakes repaired,theres a few more thing,,,oh yeah,batteries were dead sunday,no reason at all

FREIND OF AA AND TA
02-26-2007, 07:48 PM
Shit glad I asked. I will be happy with my 07 till someone sais we are all good

Trailer Park Casanova
02-26-2007, 07:50 PM
The Canadian F450s have Cat Diesels.
WTF??

BoatFloating
02-26-2007, 08:16 PM
I looked at them and love them! Have we heard of any issues? Are they as awesome as they seem? Killin me!!! I want one!!!!!!!! I am scared to buy the first ones though.
What are you scared of??? All your Fords have been POS's so why ruin the streak....:)

Beer-30
02-26-2007, 08:17 PM
I heard the bi-turbos have been melting down. I heard of a bunch of oriental technicians at the proving grounds were scratching their heads over broken trucks. They added vents in the fenders, and are still trying to prevent molten metal.

dmontzsta
02-26-2007, 08:22 PM
Good job by Ford stepping up and telling them to fix their shit. Ford can always find another company to build their diesels, I am sure they will work something out, no company wants to take a hit.

Jordy
02-26-2007, 08:34 PM
Good job by Ford stepping up and telling them to fix their shit.
I believe you might want to double check who has the problem and who is creating the problem. Lots of Internationals out running around in non-Ford trucks that don't have near the problems that Ford has had ever since they abandoned the old 7.3 and started trying to keep up with the horsepower game. Hmmm... :idea: :jawdrop: :D
You might also try going back to page 1 and re-reading post #20. ;)

dmontzsta
02-26-2007, 08:42 PM
I believe you might want to double check who has the problem and who is creating the problem. Lots of Internationals out running around in non-Ford trucks that don't have near the problems that Ford has had ever since they abandoned the old 7.3 and started trying to keep up with the horsepower game. Hmmm... :idea: :jawdrop: :D
You might also try going back to page 1 and re-reading post #20. ;)
Keep on hating, the road runs both ways. :)

Jordy
02-26-2007, 08:44 PM
Keep on hating, the road runs both ways. :)
Who is hating??? I'm merely offering up my understanding on what's going on with the new Ford diesels to try and save people some trouble down the road. Keep confusing hating with facts. You've been hanging out with Kim and the bench racers for too long. :D :D :D
Oh, and hating would imply that I have something to gain from it. Granted, I do work in the diesel biz, but not for Ford, not for GM, and not for Dodge. ;)

dmontzsta
02-26-2007, 09:06 PM
Who is hating??? I'm merely offering up my understanding on what's going on with the new Ford diesels to try and save people some trouble down the road. Keep confusing hating with facts. You've been hanging out with Kim and the bench racers for too long. :D :D :D
Oh, and hating would imply that I have something to gain from it. Granted, I do work in the diesel biz, but not for Ford, not for GM, and not for Dodge. ;)
You are a hater, you always have something negative to say about Fords, everytime you get a chance. The Kim Hanson crack is old. ;) I havent been in BR in a long time.

dmontzsta
02-26-2007, 09:08 PM
Also, I dont care much for diesels, the fuel is more and I dont have a yuppie boat, so I dont need all that towing power. My new F150 is as smooth as can be and does more than I need. :D

work2play
02-26-2007, 09:35 PM
On the 450 with 488 gears. Yes Ford is detuning the engine. Because with that low of gears it actually adds horsepower and torque. So with the detuned engine and super low gears the hp and torque to the real wheels is the same. They are not having any problems with the turbos. They have spent a ton of money on engineering. They changed the material that they are made out off so they don't corrode. They improved the cooling of the turbos and have a motor that keeps them from ever getting them stuck. The rear springs are 8 inches longer(size matters) that helped improve the ride when empty. A much better ride than the 07's and previous models. The shortened turning radius is incredible. Makes a u turn like a reg cab short bed. The vents in the fenders are for heat dissipation. So is the 33% more cooling capacity and the 50% more air flow. Heat is damaging to diesels. So the heat is gone. Ford has tested this engine for 10 million miles and 600 engines. More money spent on r and r than any other engine period. Ford themselves has said this engine has to be right the first time. So it is. The F150 (quietest of all trucks) is 71 decibels in the cab. The 08 diesel is only 73. No more shutting off the engine at drive up windows. When you see the new super duty, move over to the slow lane, 'cause he's coming by.

Jordy
02-26-2007, 09:53 PM
You are a hater, you always have something negative to say about Fords, everytime you get a chance.
ALWAYS is a very strong word that makes for a very weak argument, especially in a thread where I've stated facts. :notam:
If I wanted to hate, I could, just for example, have posted up in your thread about the shop that put an alarm on your Ford and said "Why put at alarm on it, it's just a Ford, who would want to steal the piece of shit anyway?" That would be hating. You know, for someone who ALWAYS hates, I went right by that opportunity. Hmmm... :D
I have nothing against Fords. However, with all the problems they've had with their diesel engine and transmission packages, I'd never own one. Does that make me a hater, or does that make me well informed??? :idea: :D

wedge44
02-26-2007, 09:59 PM
as usual 18,618 posts from someone without a life, or facts ....a true, sit in front of the computer desk jockey.who knows it ALL or a hater......:D :D :D wedge
couldn't help myself....:D :D :D

Jordy
02-26-2007, 10:05 PM
as usual 18,618 posts from someone without a life, or facts ....a true, sit in front of the computer desk jockey.who knows it ALL or a hater......:D :D :D wedge
couldn't help myself....:D :D :D
Yeppers, you've got it all figured out... no facts, no life, and a desk jockey to boot. Hmm, I think I posted up facts in this thread to get the ball rolling. Guess you must have been to busy with your psycho-analysis to catch that part though. ;)
Construction managment huh??? Ever see any International dump trucks, water trucks, or flat-beds on any of those jobs? They're everywhere and pretty much take tons of abuse in the rental yards fleets and rarely have any trouble, at least not in my experiences, behind a desk of course. Wait, that was almost a fact. Hmmmm.... :notam:

wedge44
02-26-2007, 10:06 PM
No No I'm just helping you get your post count up:D :D

Jordy
02-26-2007, 10:09 PM
No No I'm just helping you get your post count up:D :D
Help more as I don't know if I'm even in the top 10 anymore... :jawdrop:
Scratch that, I just checked and I'm #4. Just need to apply myself more and I can catch up with Kilr and his 28K posts... :D :D :D

boatnam2
02-26-2007, 10:11 PM
i was in hemborg the other day and they had a 08 f-350 not lifted lariat cowboy editon dsl 61k.salesman said it would go down a little when everyone gets the 08's in.damm nice lift and tires and your almost 70k.

spectras only
02-26-2007, 10:49 PM
Just want to throw this in the mix :)
SEVEN THINGS AN F-450 CAN TOW
1. Hubble Space Telescope
2. 2 empty UH-60 Black Hawk Army utility helicopters
3. 5 base-model 2007 Toyota Tundra pickups
4. 7 Volkswagen New Beetles
5. 8 fully grown male bulls
6. 10 Clydesdale horses
7. A 42-foot sailboat
wonder what the Cat powered would tow ?

LAFD
02-26-2007, 10:51 PM
i heard that there gunna have hand warmers built into the tailgates because the owners are gunna have to push them some much. but thats pretty much all fords. hahahahaha.

BoatFloating
02-27-2007, 08:06 AM
Just want to throw this in the mix :)
SEVEN THINGS AN F-450 CAN TOW
1. Hubble Space Telescope
2. 2 empty UH-60 Black Hawk Army utility helicopters
3. 5 base-model 2007 Toyota Tundra pickups
4. 7 Volkswagen New Beetles
5. 8 fully grown male bulls
6. 10 Clydesdale horses
7. A 42-foot sailboat
wonder what the Cat powered would tow ?
That's assuming that the Ford is running???? My Cat powered motor home doesn't seem to have any problems towing...

Big Warlock
02-27-2007, 08:34 AM
I have a bunch of fords and chevys in my fleet (of approximately 26 vehicles?) and 2 dodges. I went truck shopping last year to replace my 05 3/4 ton chevy (with the 496 engine package.)
I knew I wanted a diesel for the towing and torque. My final choice was the chevy 3/4 ton with the allison transmission. Both Ford and Chevy lent me vehicles to test drive for over a week. I found the chevy much more quiet than the Ford. I liked the ammenities and the allison transmission, I am told, is hard to beat on the towing end. I love my truck! Our 150 Fords are good work trucks and generally it is the preference of the foreman (or driver) as a leading factor on what he gets when his truck is ready for auction. And we run our trucks into the ground!

charitycase
02-27-2007, 08:44 AM
I drove one last Friday & really liked it.But,the rumor is they are going to add up to 100hp by years end.So I'll wait.I can't believe how quiet they are.That has always been a problem for me & Diesels.Just my .02

FREIND OF AA AND TA
02-27-2007, 09:05 AM
I drove one last Friday & really liked it.But,the rumor is they are going to add up to 100hp by years end.So I'll wait.I can't believe how quiet they are.That has always been a problem for me & Diesels.Just my .02
Yep I had to shut mine of at Carl's this am. The poor dude could not hear shiat!

Jordy
02-27-2007, 09:06 AM
I love my truck!
I think you need bigger tires on it. :D :D :D

havaduner
02-27-2007, 09:22 AM
I am giving it some time to make sure that motor is good to go. I will probably order a new F450 at the end this year or spring of 2008.
Doesn't look like Chevy will come up with an answer for this truck.
I sat in a new F450 Lariat last weekend and it was NICE. Up until that point, I was never impressed with the exterior or interior of the Ford. It just went past Chevy in my book. I wish it had the Duramax but that is why I am waiting to see how it all plays out with how this motor does.
Rumor in one of the truck mags is that Chevy is working on a 7.4 liter diesel, no replacement for cubic displacement!

Big Warlock
02-27-2007, 09:30 AM
I think you need bigger tires on it. :D :D :D
Some A-Hole gave me wrong info on tire size. Then let my mechanic sawz-all the fenders prior to telling me those were too big as he watched, drinking his soda and laughing inside. HATER!!! :D

Jordy
02-27-2007, 09:36 AM
Some A-Hole gave me wrong info on tire size. Then let my mechanic sawz-all the fenders prior to telling me those were too big as he watched, drinking his soda and laughing inside. HATER!!! :D
I don't think we're thinking of the same scenario here as you ASSumed what size tires I was running, then let your mechanic take a sawzall to your new truck, then called and asked what size tires I was running, and that was way before the 35's. :D :D :D
p.s. I was drinking beer and laughing over the phone and I was laughing out loud at the retelling of the story. In fact, I'm chuckling pretty good right now just thinking about it!!! :D :D :D

Trailer Park Casanova
02-27-2007, 09:49 AM
We looked seriously at the F450.
Driving home from the dealer, the wife started the stories of the warranty problems in the past with her NEW low mileage Fords transmissions and engines,, I had all my stories,, we just started feeling numb.
Galphin Ford stuck it to us, Simi (Beaty) Ford stuck it to us,, Gaudin in Las Vegas stuck it to us.
Tried to charge us for things covered under warranty., and it usually took about a month to get it resolved,, and they were a bunch of F#ckers about it too.
Heated and ugly exchanges.
We're not so sure we want to press the hit me again button once more.
But,, the F450 will be or is the only W#ore in town for those towing numbers, and if GM doesnt respond by September,, then it may be another Ford.
Just our 2 cents.

rivercrazy
02-27-2007, 02:24 PM
Supplier quits making Ford diesel engines
Web Posted: 02/26/2007 07:51 PM CST
Sean M. Wood
Express-News Business Writer
Ford Motor Co. may be losing one of its biggest weapons in the Texas truck war.
Navistar International Corp. has stopped making the 6.4-liter Power Stroke diesel engines that power the Ford F-250, F-350 and F-450 Super Duty pickups. Ford has been counting on these new three-quarter-ton and one-ton pickups to help maintain its overall truck dominance against new half-ton versions of the San Antonio-built Toyota Tundra and General Motors' Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra.
advertisement
Navistar stopped building the engines and claimed Ford has withheld payment. It's a claim Ford denies.
Analysts expect an agreement to be hammered out within a week because each company has too much invested in the new, quieter, more powerful and cleaner-engine technology that powers the latest version of Ford's Super Duty pickups.
"It's a relatively big deal," said Paul Lacy, manager of technical research for Global Insight, a forecasting company. "It all depends on how long Ford can hold out."
Lacy said Ford may have about a week's supply of engines.
On the Web
Ford
Navistar International Corp.
Global Insight
Ford spokeswoman Becky Sanch said, "Ford can support production in the near term." She wouldn't say how long that was.
"We have worked with Navistar for many months to resolve the commercial issues we have," Sanch said. "We have always honored our agreements with them, and we will continue to do so."
Navistar spokesman Roy Wiley said Ford has breached its contract, so his company has gone from making 600 Power Stroke diesel engines a day to none.
The F-series is Ford's most popular product. Last year, it sold nearly 800,000, and 40 percent of those were Super Duty trucks. Seventy percent of those Super Duty trucks had diesel engines, according to Sanch.
"It's just as damaging for Navistar as for Ford," Global Insight's Lacy said. "They put a lot of work into the Power Stroke."
Ford cut its production of heavy-duty pickups late last year, which forced Navistar to lay off nearly 400 workers. Ford is also trying to contain costs as it tries to turn itself around to profitability.
Lacy said he thinks Navistar is pushing back by cutting off the supply of engines.
Ford will not have a new version of its F-150 half-ton pickup until next year. So it has a lot riding on the Super Duties.
GM, its biggest rival in the half-ton segment, has redesigned versions of its half-ton trucks on sale now. The newer, bigger Tundra also puts pressure on Ford, which needs a new offering for the "true trucker," Toyota's target customer.

rivercrazy
02-27-2007, 02:26 PM
TPC - Another thing to consider is Ford's current extreme financial difficulties will put even more pressure on service and warranty claims...........