PDA

View Full Version : float a Boat

buried in the mud
02-26-2007, 05:25 PM
Is there any device out there that would inflate under the bow of your boat to keep it afloat so that the boat will not sink?. Give me your opion on this. I would like to design something for this reason.

Jordy
02-26-2007, 05:30 PM
I know, how about a big inner-tube??? :D :D :D
Perhaps a bunch of beach balls. ;)

RitcheyRch
02-26-2007, 05:35 PM
Later?

buried in the mud
02-26-2007, 05:36 PM
I know, how about a big inner-tube??? :D :D :D
Perhaps a bunch of beach balls. ;)
I was thinking more in lines of a switch that would activate a co2 mech and then inflate a tube or something under the bow. This would keep the nose up so that the boat can be towed back in rather than sink.

buried in the mud
02-26-2007, 05:37 PM
Later?
Thats what I learned from that episode and his situation. No not later.

Boatcop
02-26-2007, 05:56 PM
Recreational boats are required to be designed with basic and/or level floatation inherent to the hull in all mono hull boats under 20' in length, and is recommended for all boats over 20'. (USCG, NMMA, & ABYC Standards)
This is so they won't sink, except in catastrophic hull failure.
Since it costs more money, boat builders seldom (if ever) put optional floatation where not required. (Boston Whaler excepted) I don't know of any (over 20') boat manufacturers who even offer floatation as a paid option.
Most of the recalls issued on recreational boats are for lack of required floatation. The problem only becomes apparent when a number of boats from the same manufacturer sink, rather than float when they should.
As long as boat makers tout speed, looks and bling over safety there will always be a need for boat salvage operators.

burtandnancy2
02-26-2007, 06:04 PM
Used to stuff a truck inner tube way up in the bow to prevent a sinking of my GN boat...

Nord
02-26-2007, 06:06 PM
Thanks for the great idea..........I've already submitted a pattent. God I love these forums.....:) I hope this is better than my last idea.......
~NORD~

RiverDave
02-26-2007, 06:09 PM
Recreational boats are required to be designed with basic and/or level floatation inherent to the hull in all mono hull boats under 20' in length, and is recommended for all boats over 20'. (USCG, NMMA, & ABYC Standards)
This is so they won't sink, except in catastrophic hull failure.
Since it costs more money, boat builders seldom (if ever) put optional floatation where not required. (Boston Whaler excepted) I don't know of any (over 20') boat manufacturers who even offer floatation as a paid option.
Most of the recalls issued on recreational boats are for lack of required floatation. The problem only becomes apparent when a number of boats from the same manufacturer sink, rather than float when they should.
As long as boat makers tout speed, looks and bling over safety there will always be a need for boat salvage operators.
I wrote you a PM about this, but I thought maybe it'd be better to answer it here so all can see? I've seen the old Spectra adds where there's two guys sitting on the "sunk" boat and it's floating underwater flat and level. If it's a CG regulation then how are new boat builders getting by with building boats that go bow up and then sink to the bottom? What happened to the level floating dealio?
RD

LUVNLIFE
02-26-2007, 06:25 PM
Is there any device out there that would inflate under the bow of your boat to keep it afloat so that the boat will not sink?. Give me your opion on this. I would like to design something for this reason.
You can always blow foam in the front. It is light weight and floats. I did it with a 19' Daytona I had.

Boatcop
02-26-2007, 06:33 PM
I wrote you a PM about this, but I thought maybe it'd be better to answer it here so all can see? I've seen the old Spectra adds where there's two guys sitting on the "sunk" boat and it's floating underwater flat and level. If it's a CG regulation then how are new boat builders getting by with building boats that go bow up and then sink to the bottom? What happened to the level floating dealio?
RD
Foam for floatation adds weight, construction manhours, and has environmental issues. Those equal $$$$$. (Except the weight, which decreases speed)
Boat builders know that the chances of enough of their boats sinking to come to the Coast Guard's is so remote, they won't add the proper floatation to meet standards. This is partly the Coast Guard's fault, since they did away with factory inspections back in the late '70s. Even now, they only have 1 inspector (on contract) in each District. (District 11 covers all of California, Nevada, Arizona, and Utah)
It's only when a significant number of boats of the same make sink and (considering the accident investigator does his job) are reported to the Coast Guard, that they launch an investigation and possible recall.
The Spectra you mention was more than likely an 18', cause I know that our 20's (including the Coast Guard ones we had) didn't have any floatation. But the 18' had foam under the floor boards.

Dream Chaser
02-26-2007, 07:41 PM
Ok for you engineers out there how would you figure out the weight vs. the amount of flotation you would need to keep a boat from ending up on the bottom? assuming that the boat is just swapped and does not have large holes in it.

Nord
02-26-2007, 08:07 PM
Ok for you engineers out there how would you figure out the weight vs. the amount of flotation you would need to keep a boat from ending up on the bottom? assuming that the boat is just swapped and does not have large holes in it.
What if you put the foam in the boat.......then put the boat on a treadmill.......???
~NORD~:):)

Jetaholic
02-26-2007, 08:16 PM
What if you put the foam in the boat.......then put the boat on a treadmill.......???
~NORD~:):)
The treadmill will sink...hopefully.