PDA

View Full Version : Is this worth giving up 3 Summers???

Big Bear
02-01-2006, 06:50 PM
I was really looking forward to boating season, hoping to get out more than I have in previous years, wanting to meet more forum members and just have a blast!!! I just got a phone call from a friend of mine offering me a job for the next 3 seasons, starting April or so and working thru Sept. or Oct. Heres the kicker!!! The job is on an island, north of Japan off the coast of RUSSIA!! They will be boring 3 tunnels under a river (1 tunnel each season) and want me as their crane operator. 7 days a week, 14-16 hours a day from the time we get there til we come home in the fall. They are dangling $30-35,000 a MONTH at me along with all my union bennies!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: How can I possibly turn that down. Well, there goes life as I know it. Guess I'll have to get in all my boating at Spring Break, then put the boat away again! What would you do?? My friggin head is spinning!

Garrddogg
02-01-2006, 06:52 PM
I was really looking forward to boating season, hoping to get out more than I have in previous years, wanting to meet more forum members and just have a blast!!! I just got a phone call from a friend of mine offering me a job for the next 3 seasons, starting April or so and working thru Sept. or Oct. Heres the kicker!!! The job is on an island, north of Japan off the coast of RUSSIA!! They will be boring 3 tunnels under a river (1 tunnel each season) and want me as their crane operator. 7 days a week, 14-16 hours a day from the time we get there til we come home in the fall. They are dangling $30-35,000 a MONTH at me along with all my union bennies!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: How can I possibly turn that down. Well, there goes life as I know it. Guess I'll have to get in all my boating at Spring Break, then put the boat away again! What would you do?? My friggin head is spinning!
BYE!

Big Bear
02-01-2006, 06:53 PM
BYE!
Send a postcard, right???

slink
02-01-2006, 06:57 PM
Hope you like raw fish :)

tgotch
02-01-2006, 06:59 PM
If you don't go, I will. Email me some crane operating instructions
http://www.cranetraining.ca/Crane%20Colour.jpg

JetBoatRich
02-01-2006, 06:59 PM
No Brainer :rolleyes: go have fun on the island.
You live in in Simi, So.Cal boat all year here :rolleyes:

Garrddogg
02-01-2006, 07:00 PM
Send a postcard, right???
TOUGH CALL BUT 30G's A MONTH IS A GANG O $$$$
but then again a summer on the water is PRICLESS!! :D

TCHB
02-01-2006, 07:04 PM
Is it taxable under US Terms>>>

Phat Matt
02-01-2006, 07:10 PM
You can boat every other month all month long. Get out of here!

Big Bear
02-01-2006, 07:11 PM
Hope you like raw fish :)
F#CK that!! You mean there wont be any steak houses there??

Big Bear
02-01-2006, 07:12 PM
And the constant company of sweaty men. :D
How about Russian women with hairy legs and armpits?? :D :D :D

mike37
02-01-2006, 07:13 PM
hell I will go for that kinda money

Big Bear
02-01-2006, 07:14 PM
I'm pretty sure, if you're a US Citizen, you're responsible for paying taxes on every cent you make, regardless of where you make it. If, in fact, you're referring to Federal Income Tax.
I'll have lots of questions for my tax man!!

Phat Matt
02-01-2006, 07:14 PM
Bring a razor.
Next objection. :)

ECeptor
02-01-2006, 07:17 PM
If you don't want the job, email me info on it. I've never ran a crane, but have ran almost every other piece of contruction equipment. If they don't want me I know they'd take my bro who has +20yrs, including crane experience!
$30k a month is worth giving up a few summers.

LUVNLIFE
02-01-2006, 07:19 PM
If you don't have a family I would def do it. That isn't that long to be away with that kind of money. Def check with your tax man. Remember though, as many of us are in the same business, it could easily turn out a longer stay, because that's the way it is and shit happens. Go Local 12. :cool:

Jbb
02-01-2006, 07:19 PM
When I was in the Airline business,there were constant offers to go work in the Middle East for similar money....You had to live in an American compound,you had to stay for the entire duration of your contract ,or take a hefty penalty....Only a few guys I knew took it....and none stayed the duration.....the money simply was'nt worth it...

h2oski2fast
02-01-2006, 07:29 PM
Ugly Russian chicks huhh?
What about this one?
http://www.askmen.com/specials/2005_top_99/celebs/52_anna_kournikova.jpg

Ivan Dan
02-01-2006, 07:34 PM
I'll have lots of questions for my tax man!!
This would be my first call!!! That $30k a month turns into $15-20k (still not too bad) real quick if you have to pay taxes on it.

YeLLowBoaT
02-01-2006, 07:56 PM
If that money is tax free or close too it you really should think very hard about it.
Also see what you get for housing...would suck to lose lots of your cash on housing.

Big Bear
02-01-2006, 07:57 PM
If you don't want the job, email me info on it. I've never ran a crane, but have ran almost every other piece of contruction equipment. If they don't want me I know they'd take my bro who has +20yrs, including crane experience!
$30k a month is worth giving up a few summers.
My buddy is the Super for this job. I worked with him most of last year. He has handpicked his crew and said he has to have me. I have my 25 yr old son living with me trying to get him straightened out (long story) I told Danny the only way I would consider it is if he gave my son a job so he can go with me. He told me if that is what it takes to get me there, my son has a job. I guess he wants me pretty bad. If everything he says is true and I dont doubt it is, I'm there!!

Big Bear
02-01-2006, 07:59 PM
Ugly Russian chicks huhh?
What about this one?
http://www.askmen.com/specials/2005_top_99/celebs/52_anna_kournikova.jpg
Hey, I never said anything about ugly, I was just talking about an over-abundance of hair!! I could live with that!!

Big Bear
02-01-2006, 08:05 PM
If you don't have a family I would def do it. That isn't that long to be away with that kind of money. Def check with your tax man. Remember though, as many of us are in the same business, it could easily turn out a longer stay, because that's the way it is and shit happens. Go Local 12. :cool:
The stay is cut and dried, too friggin cold to work during the winter months, spring to fall, 3 seasons thats it. I'm thinking I work 6-7 months and take the rest of the year off til spring when its time to go back. Wish it was in the southern hemisphere so their summer was our winter!! :D Local 12 huh, I guess that makes us union brothers. Might have even run into each other at some time. Been doin this for 18 years.

Big Bear
02-01-2006, 08:07 PM
If that money is tax free or close too it you really should think very hard about it.
Also see what you get for housing...would suck to lose lots of your cash on housing.
Company pays $200 a week plus $45 a day for expenses. Theres another $500 a week!!

ECeptor
02-01-2006, 08:17 PM
My buddy is the Super for this job. I worked with him most of last year. He has handpicked his crew and said he has to have me. I have my 25 yr old son living with me trying to get him straightened out (long story) I told Danny the only way I would consider it is if he gave my son a job so he can go with me. He told me if that is what it takes to get me there, my son has a job. I guess he wants me pretty bad. If everything he says is true and I dont doubt it is, I'm there!!
Smart move. Like I said, for that kind of jack I could line up one helluva crew to go...including myself!
Good luck!!!!

SummitKarl
02-01-2006, 08:27 PM
If your not leaving a wife or children behind, it's a no brainer, if you don't like it don't go back next year. go for the adventure and check it out :)

Havasu Luvr
Damm Robey, give me your email address, I can always email you pics of the river.. good luck..... I could use a job...maybe your "Crane Biatch"?

Big Bear
I'm definately going to be looking into wireless internet access over there!! That will be my only form of entertainment.

Big Bear
02-01-2006, 08:29 PM
Damm Robey, give me your email address, I can always email you pics of the river.. good luck..... I could use a job...maybe your "Crane Biatch"?
Hey Dave!! I have already demanded that they take my son Chris to be my crane biatch. :frown: I hope to have internet access (last post) so I will be able to keep in touch. Hope to see you at spring break!!!

SummerBreeze
02-01-2006, 09:16 PM
Is it all about the MONEY $$$$$ it does sound good
I don't like to be told what to do or where to live. No one is yanking my chain.
PRISONERS... in prison are always thinking of ways to get out.
SLAVES... let the master provide them with what they need on the plantation.
are you a SLAVE or A PRISONER ????

dicudmore
02-01-2006, 10:16 PM
Robey see ya in the spring time and enjoy the $$$ :cool:

shueman
02-01-2006, 10:55 PM
Do it....we'll still be here when ya git back... :rolleyes:

MagicMtnDan
02-01-2006, 11:07 PM
Keep your clothes on while operating heavy equipment! Have a good time!
http://markus.nolf.org/2005/08/18/DSC01823-2.jpg

YeLLowBoaT
02-01-2006, 11:08 PM
Company pays $200 a week plus $45 a day for expenses. Theres another $500 a week!!
Thats not alot.. You may want to look in to the cost of liveing where you "would" be living.

Hardly Satisfied
02-02-2006, 02:17 AM
Can't pass that up

a catered life
02-02-2006, 07:22 AM
BYE!
$30,000 a month :sqeyes: see you in three years boating will be here for years to come but the chance to make that kind of money dont come along to often good luck and be safe

Red Horse
02-02-2006, 07:42 AM
GO MAN GO.
ANd if you can get a break, go to Okinawa. You can get some boat and beach in there!!!

ROZ
02-02-2006, 09:25 AM
Think of it this way.. You don't have to look online to pick your mailorder bride. You get to pick her right out of the lineup :)

al cole'holic
02-02-2006, 10:00 AM
..if they pay you in Russia, open a Russian bank account and put all your money there...when you get back open a new Amex account and use that for everything, when the bill is due have the funds wired to Amex for payment ;)

Biglue
02-02-2006, 10:05 AM
For that kinda money, what is there to consider?
You need any other workers? :D

phebus
02-02-2006, 10:10 AM
How much money could you make here woking 17 hours a day, 7 days a week? Doesn't sound like such a good gig to me. Good jack, but too high a price to pay.

WaTchTheGelCoat
02-02-2006, 10:57 AM
Dude, I would leave town for a decade for that kinda of dough

burtandnancy
02-02-2006, 11:05 AM
Not gonna work if you got a (long story) around your neck...