PDA

View Full Version : Need some ideas . . . (potluck lunch)

My Man's Sportin' Wood
03-06-2007, 03:22 PM
So, I'm supposed to bring a main dish to a potluck tomorrow for lunch. What can I bring that does not need to be heated up (unless it's a quickie in a microwave)? We have no sink, no oven, but refrigerators. I'm thinking fried chicken? I don't know. Help a sister out folks. Any ideas?? :D

hoolign
03-06-2007, 03:23 PM
So, I'm supposed to bring a main dish to a potluck tomorrow for lunch. What can I bring that does not need to be heated up (unless it's a quickie in a microwave)? We have no sink, no oven. I'm thinking fried chicken? I don't know. Help a sister out folks. Any ideas?? :D
I'm pretty sure BigDoug can get you a good deal on fish?? :confused:
I say hand out two for one Big Mac coupons..they are always a big hit!

DILLIGAF
03-06-2007, 03:24 PM
Do somwthing in the crock pot over night. It will be done when you get up, you can take the entire pot with you and make sure it is something that would be good cold.

YeLLowBoaT
03-06-2007, 03:24 PM
fried chicken is always a good choice...In the past I have made french dips for a main corse... had 3 thermoses full of au jux and used that to heat up the meat on pretoasted roles. Made every one happy.

My Man's Sportin' Wood
03-06-2007, 03:38 PM
Oooooohhhh! I forgot about the crock pot! French dips are a good idea, but the roast beef is pretty expensive (5-6 bucks a pound).

AZKC
03-06-2007, 03:48 PM
One of those 4 foot deli sandwiches from Frys or who ever. I'm not a big fan:rolleyes: but people seem to eat them.:D

CBadDad
03-06-2007, 03:49 PM
Buy some meatballs and a sauce (so many choices). Fill the crockpot and plug it in in the morning. It'll be ready by lunch. A box of toothpicks and you're all set.

phebus
03-06-2007, 03:49 PM
Meadow Muffins- Take the loaf size Kings Hawaiian bread, slice it in half, and just make a big old sandwich out of it with mayo, lettuce, lunch meats, and whatever, and then just cut it up into small pieces. Really good, really easy, and who can resist Hawaiian bread?

AZKC
03-06-2007, 03:54 PM
Meadow Muffins- Take the loaf size Kings Hawaiian bread, slice it in half, and just make a big old sandwich out of it with mayo, lettuce, lunch meats, and whatever, and then just cut it up into small pieces. Really good, really easy, and who can resist Hawaiian bread?
Are they called Meadow Muffins:confused: Or are you calling MMSW "Meadow Muffins" :devil: :D

Mrs. Bordsmnj
03-06-2007, 03:58 PM
You could also get those giant tortillas, some flavored low fat cream cheese, lunch meat, lettuce, bell peppers, etc. Spread everything on the tortillas and then roll them and then cut them into little pinwheels.
:) Piece of cake!

phebus
03-06-2007, 04:02 PM
Are they called Meadow Muffins:confused: Or are you calling MMSW "Meadow Muffins" :devil: :D
That's funny. :D We used to call the sandwiches Meadow Muffins at the firehouse.

YeLLowBoaT
03-06-2007, 04:05 PM
Oooooohhhh! I forgot about the crock pot! French dips are a good idea, but the roast beef is pretty expensive (5-6 bucks a pound).
so is chicken... and you have to cook it.

CBadDad
03-06-2007, 04:07 PM
I think you can get 50 pieces of fried chicken at Albertsons for less than $25. Better call ahead of time.

Screaming Pete
03-06-2007, 04:09 PM
stop by costco, grab some pizza's or something from the deli cases...........done

mrs.rvrluvr
03-06-2007, 04:21 PM
You could also get those giant tortillas, some flavored low fat cream cheese, lunch meat, lettuce, bell peppers, etc. Spread everything on the tortillas and then roll them and then cut them into little pinwheels.
:) Piece of cake!
That is another good suggestion, everyone seems to love those too. I vote pinwheels.

phebus
03-06-2007, 04:22 PM
Way to complicated. Call in sick, and go to the lake. :D

riverracerx
03-06-2007, 04:32 PM
1 bag Costco meatballs
1 giant bottle Costco BBQ sauce
2 boxes of toothpicks
1 Crock Pot - Heat before you leave for the event. It will stay plenty warm.

My Man's Sportin' Wood
03-06-2007, 05:14 PM
F-that!! I was going to go to Stater's and buy it pre-made! LOL

My Man's Sportin' Wood
03-06-2007, 05:17 PM
1 bag Costco meatballs
1 giant bottle Costco BBQ sauce
2 boxes of toothpicks
1 Crock Pot - Heat before you leave for the event. It will stay plenty warm.
http://www.***boat.com/ubb/graemlins/idea_2.gif I already have a pile of those smoky links that I need to get rid of . . .
not really a main dish, but it's hot. hmmmm

RiverToysJas
03-06-2007, 05:20 PM
Do somwthing in the crock pot over night. It will be done when you get up, you can take the entire pot with you and make sure it is something that would be good cold.
I'd definately listen to this guy, he knows his way around a kitchen!
...to me the kitchen is just the room I have to pass through on my way to the backyard, so can't help ya. ;)
RTJas :D

Havasu Doug
03-06-2007, 05:22 PM
Are the kiddies going to be eating this too? If not, take our favorite river food - JELLO. :)

Mrs.Killer
03-06-2007, 05:26 PM
Buy some meatballs and a sauce (so many choices). Fill the crockpot and plug it in in the morning. It'll be ready by lunch. A box of toothpicks and you're all set.
This would be my choice....easy and yummy

My Man's Sportin' Wood
03-06-2007, 05:47 PM
Are the kiddies going to be eating this too? If not, take our favorite river food - JELLO. :)
LOL, no. It's a minimum day and they wanted a potluck. Social Studies got elected a main dish :rolleyes: However, I should just bring JELLO . . . Mrs. Knucklehead style :D It would be a hit with the handful of cool teachers, and give the fogies something to "tut-tut" over.

hoolign
03-06-2007, 06:01 PM
I'm running out of suggestions here!
Ok one more! .. your gonna need 4 bags of pop corn twists.
2 carrots and 2 lbs of limberger cheese, a dozen tins of kippers, 2 cups of Wasabi! .. mix it all together and dip the popcorn twists in ...:jawdrop:

Debbolas
03-06-2007, 06:59 PM
Cesar Salad :D

My Man's Sportin' Wood
03-07-2007, 08:16 AM
I'm running out of suggestions here!
Ok one more! .. your gonna need 4 bags of pop corn twists.
2 carrots and 2 lbs of limberger cheese, a dozen tins of kippers, 2 cups of Wasabi! .. mix it all together and dip the popcorn twists in ...:jawdrop:
That is it!!! Thanks Hooli! I'm leaving right now, so I'll stop by the market on my way in. (Hope they have kippers . . . if not, I'll have to settle for anchovies). 2 cups of Wasabi LMAO I'll never have to bring anything again. :D

CBadDad
03-07-2007, 09:33 AM
This would be my choice....easy and yummy
I'll have to remember that. ;)

DILLIGAF
03-07-2007, 09:37 AM
I'd definately listen to this guy, he knows his way around a kitchen!
...to me the kitchen is just the room I have to pass through on my way to the backyard, so can't help ya. ;)
RTJas :D
Thanks Jason :)