PDA

View Full Version : Garage Floor EPOXY...

slingingsmoke
03-07-2007, 10:29 AM
Well, I'm just waiting for the ambient air temp to hit around 70* and its ON!
I got the Rust-Oleum 2-Part Garage floor epoxt w/ color paint chips. It looks like a complete kit and so far the concrete etch works great. Gonna start rolling it on about 1-2pm or so...
What kind of products have the do-it-yourselfers used??? Post it if you got it....I'm gonna take some "Before" pics...

Dan Lorenze
03-07-2007, 10:38 AM
Well, I'm just waiting for the ambient air temp to hit around 70* and its ON!
I got the Rust-Oleum 2-Part Garage floor epoxt w/ color paint chips. It looks like a complete kit and so far the concrete etch works great. Gonna start rolling it on about 1-2pm or so...
What kind of products have the do-it-yourselfers used??? Post it if you got it....I'm gonna take some "Before" pics...
I used the Behr 2-part epoxy product from Home Depot... I prepped it to the highest standards, degreasing, etching, bonding primer and top coats... The epoxy pulled up after the first rain when my wifes tires sat on it over night.. If I could do it all over again I would have a pro come out and have it stained... Just my opinion...

Stingray69
03-07-2007, 10:42 AM
She wants it in the garage cause it's the party central for pool, Halloween, Christmas, Sex Toy, etc. parties; I just want it in the barn... :idea:

slingingsmoke
03-07-2007, 10:44 AM
I didn't go w/ Behr because one of my buddies did....'nuff said. Although, I only found Behr's 1-part enamel, not the 2-part.
Nevertheless, My folks had a pro come out and do their 4-car. It also lifted and peeled under the tires, and yes...we did wait 7 days before moving the cars in. (Atleast its lifetime warranty)
There's alot of emphasis on ground temperature, Rust-oleum states concrete temp must be no less than 55* and must be completely dry to cure and bond correctly....

Stingray69
03-07-2007, 10:49 AM
I used the Behr 2-part epoxy product from Home Depot... I prepped it to the highest standards, degreasing, etching, bonding primer and top coats... The epoxy pulled up after the first rain when my wifes tires sat on it over night.. If I could do it all over again I would have a pro come out and have it stained... Just my opinion...
Ohhh, she's been pushing me to do Their's, THANKS, Bud sorry for your hassle! Had a a NIGHTMARE with a Behr red interior, and they KNEW there was an issue with it not ever covering properly, (when I called to request a refund)got the refund, but after 9! COATS ('oh, just keep putting on top coats') AND THEIR PRIMER, wouldn't cover. F Behr!

YeLLowBoaT
03-07-2007, 10:51 AM
For the most part, the coatings you get at the home store suck. They work, but don't expect them to last forever. Like every thing else in painting, prep is key.
If it took you less then 3 days to prep it, you did something wrong.

probablecause
03-07-2007, 10:51 AM
Don't waste your time doing it yourself. The chemicals will give you a headache and you will leave "thin" spots in your floor. This was one of those things that was not worth my time and I am the king of the do-it-yourself stuff. Plus, my wife got it for me as a birthday gift.
http://www.aflacracing.com/images/albums/userpics/10001/garagefloor.jpg

slingingsmoke
03-07-2007, 10:54 AM
For the most part, the coatings you get at the home store suck. They work, but don't expect them to last forever. Like every thing else in painting, prep is key.
If it took you less then 3 days to prep it, you did something wrong.
2 days and counting.....:)

Dan Lorenze
03-07-2007, 10:56 AM
Don't waste your time doing it yourself. The chemicals will give you a headache and you will leave "thin" spots in your floor. This was one of those things that was not worth my time and I am the king of the do-it-yourself stuff.
I totally agree....

slingingsmoke
[QUOTE=probablecause;2429883]Don't waste your time doing it yourself. The chemicals will give you a headache and you will leave "thin" spots in your floor. This was one of those things that was not worth my time and I am the king of the do-it-yourself stuff. [QUOTE]
Paul...what did it cost you to have someone else do it.

Stingray69
LOOKS easy on 2 Guys Garage....:rolleyes:

slingingsmoke
03-07-2007, 10:57 AM
Ohhh, she's been pushing me to do Their's, THANKS, Bud sorry for your hassle! Had a a NIGHTMARE with a Behr red interior, and they KNEW there was an issue with it not ever covering properly, (when I called to request a refund)got the refund, but after 9! COATS ('oh, just keep putting on top coats') AND THEIR PRIMER, wouldn't cover. F Behr!
Never use anything other than Dunn-Edwards for interior!

jojoshow
03-07-2007, 11:18 AM
Hey don't waste your time and $$$$$$. you'll just pay later to remove it. only last appx. 1 year or so. I have friends that own a co. if your in the local area. PM for info

probablecause
03-07-2007, 11:27 AM
[QUOTE=slingingsmoke]Paul...what did it cost you to have someone else do it.[QUOTE]
I think it was about 1200-1400 for our 22x20 about two years ago

XTRM22
03-07-2007, 11:29 AM
I've used the Rustoleum on both of my homes, and several homes for friends & customers of mine. I've never had a problem with it, but the prep work is key, and I don't like to use the plastic chips. It's definitely not the same as having a specialty pro do your epoxy floor, They use better chemicals and charge alot of money. If you do the rustoleum epoxy and follow their directions you'll get a good product for the price. I figure 1-1.25 per sq ft for the rustoleum, including prep and labor, my painter gets 2-3.00 per ft for his product. It wouldn't be worth an extra 1000.00 to me on a 1000 sqft garage, but everybody has their own priorities.
Chuck

shippingguy
03-07-2007, 11:32 AM
I used the Rust-O-Leum on my river house garge floor 5 years ago and it has been great. No peeling etc. I move the boat on it all the time and have never had a problem. Cleans up very easy.

YeLLowBoaT
03-07-2007, 11:33 AM
Depending on the job I charage anywhere from about 3.75-5.00 a foot( depends on the product and cond of the floor... if its fooked the sky is the limit). lots in the 4-4.25 range. Normal garage there is about 20 hours of labor and alot of waiting. Its not hard to do, but it does eat up alot of time.

slingingsmoke
03-07-2007, 11:34 AM
about 600sq. ft garage and about $180.00 invested so far.

YeLLowBoaT
03-07-2007, 11:37 AM
I've used the Rustoleum on both of my homes, and several homes for friends & customers of mine. I've never had a problem with it, but the prep work is key, and I don't like to use the plastic chips. It's definitely not the same as having a specialty pro do your epoxy floor, They use better chemicals and charge alot of money. If you do the rustoleum epoxy and follow their directions you'll get a good product for the price. I figure 1-1.25 per sq ft for the rustoleum, including prep and labor, my painter gets 2-3.00 per ft for his product. It wouldn't be worth an extra 1000.00 to me on a 1000 sqft garage, but everybody has their own priorities.
Chuck
2-3 a foot? how is he making any money? Some of the better products cost about that a foot.

Waist Deep
03-07-2007, 11:38 AM
If that's all the epoxy cost you, I guarantee theres alot of water in it. curious, did they sell you a clear for the top?

slingingsmoke
03-07-2007, 11:43 AM
If that's all the epoxy cost you, I guarantee theres alot of water in it. curious, did they sell you a clear for the top?
no, I just got what came in the kit...
http://www.rustoleum.com/product.asp?frm_product_id=56&SBL=1
Yeah, it is water based. I couldn't find the solvent based nearby.

YeLLowBoaT
03-07-2007, 11:45 AM
no, I just got what came in the kit...
http://www.rustoleum.com/product.asp?frm_product_id=56&SBL=1
Yeah, it is water based. I couldn't find the solvent based nearby.
Should have posted on HB... I would have let you buy some on my account...
:)

Waist Deep
03-07-2007, 11:45 AM
Uh, how are you supposed to encapsulate the chips without a clear?

slingingsmoke
03-07-2007, 11:50 AM
Should have posted on HB... I would have let you buy some on my account...
:)
PM it to me anyway.... I'm prolly gonna get this too...
http://www.rustoleum.com/product.asp?frm_product_id=677&SBL=1

Waist Deep
03-07-2007, 11:55 AM
I'm not trying to pick it apart, but I do it as a living. FYI. most clear epoxies yellow over time. Just be sure before you install it.

YeLLowBoaT
03-07-2007, 11:55 AM
Who has it? I really don't know what paint store does, its not something I ever plan on using so...

Waist Deep
03-07-2007, 11:57 AM
We use a clear two part chemical resitant urethane for or top coat.

Havasu1986
03-07-2007, 12:07 PM
We went thru Home Depot and had the rustoleum people do the 3 part. No problems and going on 3 years.:)

slingingsmoke
03-07-2007, 02:58 PM
..a little over 1/3rd of the way done...so far it looks great! Between the paint she (my beautiful wife) picked for the walls and the epoxy floor, its gonna look sweet! I took some "before" pics and will definitely take some "after" pics soon!
..now I just gotta pull some OT to buy the cabinets and workbench.:(

slingingsmoke
03-07-2007, 02:59 PM
post #300...

slingingsmoke
03-07-2007, 04:27 PM
125sq. ft to go.....

havasu5150
03-07-2007, 07:11 PM
did my garage last year. It was a new concrete floor so I did not have any grease or dirt to contend with. Came out nice. Still holding up after 14 months with no problems at all. Spills clean up easily.

3 daytona`s
03-07-2007, 07:28 PM
Don't waste your time doing it yourself. The chemicals will give you a headache and you will leave "thin" spots in your floor. This was one of those things that was not worth my time and I am the king of the do-it-yourself stuff.
http://www.aflacracing.com/images/albums/userpics/10001/garagefloor.jpg
That`s perfect good job.

probablecause
03-07-2007, 07:39 PM
The company that came out and did our floor used two boxes of chips and another box which contained a bucket of the resin/epoxy. You don't get that from Home Depot. It filled every crack also. Prep is the key. Also, I don't know about the home depot kit but I have dropped lots of stuff on the floor and never had a problem. The salt and pepper look is great for hiding any spills also.
http://www.aflacracing.com/images/albums/userpics/garagefl.jpg

probablecause
03-07-2007, 08:11 PM
You see, I am a firm believe in putting her to work...
http://www.aflacracing.com/images/albums/userpics/HPIM2948.JPG