PDA

View Full Version : If you were the only one at Site Six.........

HMF'er
03-07-2007, 08:51 PM
would you launch your boat there??
Looking for opinions on the facility itself (ramp condition, water level, etc).
I already know about the people that go there.

Mrs.Racer277
03-07-2007, 08:54 PM
We only have a 21" but have used that ramp at times.

moneypit
03-07-2007, 08:56 PM
huh? eerrr ummm ...yes?

EAZYKILLER2006
03-07-2007, 08:56 PM
well heck...guess its free for a reason...

nodigg
03-07-2007, 08:58 PM
What am I missing out on? I'd use it if Windsor wasn't so close to the house.

HMF'er
03-07-2007, 09:02 PM
Just curious of everyone's opinion based on their experience. We'll be launching mostly during the week, the location is covenient, and I just want to make sure there's no issues like underwater rocks or any other surprises before I get there.
.....and yes I'm cheap and trying to save a few bucks.

Mrs.Racer277
03-07-2007, 09:04 PM
What am I missing out on? I'd use it if Windsor wasn't so close to the house.
I think the fact that it is steep, slimmy, only two lanes, and usually an audience. This is why I drive the boat and he backs the trailer. :) :)

I DIG IT !
03-07-2007, 09:05 PM
Hell no, tried it once but it didnt work out to well. And my boat is only a 27. The trailer high centerd and i barely got i out in 4 wheel drive because the ramp we wet.:mad:

Ziggy
03-07-2007, 09:06 PM
Just curious of everyone's opinion based on their experience. We'll be launching mostly during the week, the location is covenient, and I just want to make sure there's no issues like underwater rocks or any other surprises before I get there.
Biggest thing is its kinda steep so you have to back in deeper and then gets slick if the water level is down but a good driver has no issue generally.
Inexperienced launchers will be exposed :D :D

nodigg
03-07-2007, 09:06 PM
I'll second that notion!
DIA=I think the fact that it is steep, slimmy, only two lanes, and usually an audience. This is why I drive the boat and he backs the trailer.
Shouldn't it be the other way around?
Seriously, I have back off the end of that ramp once. And once at Windsor too. DAMMIT. Know I gotta new trailer with straight fenders!

HMF'er
03-07-2007, 09:07 PM
Hell no, tried it once but it didnt work out to well. And my boat is only a 27. The trailer high centerd and i barely got i out in 4 wheel drive because the ramp we wet.:mad:
That's the kind of shiat that concerns me.

pushnwood
03-07-2007, 09:08 PM
If you have 4WD, it's not too bad.

Ziggy
03-07-2007, 09:16 PM
That's the kind of shiat that concerns me.
Probably low water........
Just go try it at leasure one day and see for yourself, really not any water hazards to be concerned.

phebus
03-07-2007, 09:21 PM
With anything 24' or over, I wouldn't, unless I had four wheel drive, and the water level was up. Why take a chance of ruining a good day of boating for a $10 launch fee somewhere else.

BadKachina
03-07-2007, 09:27 PM
I did it 4th of July, it took over two hours to get out. The croud was in full effect. Wife stabbed it in one shot, 4 wheel drive was already locked in.;) We had our 30'er on the trailer and out of there in the dark in a flash. My son and I were watching Saving Private Ryan in the truck and only had to miss a couple of minutes while the wife put the boat on the trailer.
That being said, 2 1/2 hours is bs, I wouldn't use it again on a busy weekend. I'll drive to Cattail or Havasu Springs.

Hotcobra270
03-07-2007, 09:31 PM
With anything 24' or over, I wouldn't, unless I had four wheel drive, and the water level was up. Why take a chance of ruining a good day of boating for a $10 launch fee somewhere else.
i agree.. i had to get help out since i didnt have a 4x4.. smalls boats are fine, but the rookies scare me out there..

blackcloud75
03-07-2007, 09:45 PM
I launch that bitch for ya'!

Throttle
03-07-2007, 09:53 PM
f - NO

raff
03-07-2007, 10:03 PM
In one word NO:eek:

XtrmWakeborder
03-07-2007, 10:10 PM
We launched and retrieved there this past 4th. It wasn't crowded at all. We must have been lucky. The only problem was the huge ocean bayliner coming in at full steam, and almost running over their truck and shooting chunks of fiberglass at me and into my boat.....other than that no problems:D

bigkyle
03-07-2007, 11:27 PM
Site Six is a fair ramp and an experienced hauler will have no problems with it. The ramp is a bit steep and has a high point when the water is low, maybe causing your spare tire carrier or cross members to drag a bit. When it's up, no issue. I have never spun the tires using my Suburban to yank out my 22' Citation, which is relatively heavy for a 22 footer.
I use the ramp frequently having a place at the Beachcomber, but stay away from busy weekends, two hours to retrieve is not uncommon. The crowds can be unruly then due to the high number of entry level folks on the water.
BTW, the ramp is three lanes, not two.

Kilrtoy
03-08-2007, 12:09 AM
i agree.. i had to get help out since i didnt have a 4x4.. smalls boats are fine, but the rookies scare me out there..
Sounds like you are a rookie,
a 4X2 with a boat:rolleyes:

Kilrtoy
03-08-2007, 12:11 AM
I have launched there several times, I have watched several people with extremely expensive boats(austin powers voice 1 MILLION DOLLARS) launch there. Keep the drives up and the vehicle in 4 wheel drive and you will be fine.
Just watch the curb as you begin to go down the hill

Havasu Hangin'
03-08-2007, 04:35 AM
That was about my experience.
The damn ramp was so slippery, I had all four tires spinning trying to get up the ramp. When I saw it wasn't working and put on the brakes, the damn trailer pulled the truck back down the ramp with all four tires locked up.
Not to mention hitting some underwater rocks and taking out my taillights.
Never again.

Jbb
03-08-2007, 04:40 AM
That was about my experience.
The damn ramp was so slippery, I had all four tires spinning trying to get up the ramp. When I saw it wasn't working and put on the brakes, the damn trailer pulled the truck back down the ramp with all four tires locked up.
Not to mention hitting some underwater rocks and taking out my taillights.
Never again.
Wussie!....:D I'd launch there....:)

Havasu Hangin'
03-08-2007, 04:44 AM
Wussie!....:D I'd launch there....:)
You East coast guys must be tougher than us Cali types...
:messedup:

Jbb
03-08-2007, 04:49 AM
You East coast guys must be tougher than us Cali types...
:messedup:
I heard that you were ten feet tall.....and bullet proof....?:confused:

killerbeez
03-08-2007, 04:55 AM
No problem with my 21'.:D

Havasu Hangin'
03-08-2007, 04:58 AM
I heard that you were ten feet tall.....and bullet proof....?:confused:
Only on the internet, my friend...
:D

Jbb
03-08-2007, 05:00 AM
Only on the internet, my friend...
:D
:jawdrop:
Knights Rule!

GRUNION
03-08-2007, 06:14 AM
If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around hear it. does it make a sound?

Hallett19
03-08-2007, 07:54 AM
This ramp for sure exposes the rookies, I'm sure everyone has at least a handfull of great stories from this ramp. I'm cheap and I have a 20 footer and I tow with an AWD Grand Cherrokee and I'm pretty good at launching/retrieving so I'm good on this ramp. If you are under 24 ft, have 4WD and are fairly experienced its a great ramp, what other ramp can you catch a little post day-trip entertainment? :D

catman-do
03-08-2007, 07:56 AM
If i didnt have a pass to launch as Windsor, then yes i would use site six on a dead day.

Mrs.Racer277
03-08-2007, 07:56 AM
Site Six is a fair ramp and an experienced hauler will have no problems with it. The ramp is a bit steep and has a high point when the water is low, maybe causing your spare tire carrier or cross members to drag a bit. When it's up, no issue. I have never spun the tires using my Suburban to yank out my 22' Citation, which is relatively heavy for a 22 footer.
I use the ramp frequently having a place at the Beachcomber, but stay away from busy weekends, two hours to retrieve is not uncommon. The crowds can be unruly then due to the high number of entry level folks on the water.
BTW, the ramp is three lanes, not two.
Maybe when I back the trailer I make it 2. ;) :D

Debbolas
03-08-2007, 08:02 AM
:mad: I hate site six:mad:

Jordy
03-08-2007, 08:05 AM
I use the ramp frequently having a place at the Beachcomber
Didn't Beachcomber use to have its' own ramp, or what you could call a ramp???

Baja Big Dog
03-08-2007, 08:14 AM
In most situatons unprepared or unskilled people can fock up a wet dream!!!
If you are experienced in landing/launching a boat (unfortunatly no test is given when you write that $100,000 check weather or not you can get that dream machine off and back on the trailer!).
Site six is three lanes, but with above mentioned people its in normally 2 and sometimes 1 lane.
Ive heard the "Launch ramp follies" have been shut down (Those dam Rhino drivein drunk bastards that laugh at the above mentioned people at sunset).

Mrs.Racer277
03-08-2007, 08:17 AM
In most situatons unprepared or unskilled people can fock up a wet dream!!!
If you are experienced in landing/launching a boat (unfortunatly no test is given when you write that $100,000 check weather or not you can get that dream machine off and back on the trailer!).
Site six is three lanes, but with above mentioned people its in normally 2 and sometimes 1 lane.
Ive heard the "Launch ramp follies" have been shut down (Those dam Rhino drivein drunk bastards that laugh at the above mentioned people at sunset).
One of my first times using that ramp the audience mentioned above actually had number cards 1-10. :eek: :eek:

Mrs. casean
03-08-2007, 08:22 AM
One of my first times using that ramp the audience mentioned above actually had number cards 1-10. :eek: :eek:
The cards are the best!!! So much fun and entertainment there!

Captain Dan
03-08-2007, 08:29 AM
Didn't Beachcomber use to have its' own ramp, or what you could call a ramp???
Yes, I launch there and it works fine unless the water level is way low. I have launched and retrieved at Site Six, and if everyone knows what they are doing, it can hanlde 3 lanes, not 2 as everyone mentions.

Jordy
03-08-2007, 08:31 AM
if everyone knows what they are doing, it can hanlde 3 lanes, not 2 as everyone mentions.
Bingo. So you're saying it's pretty much a 2 lane ramp when there is more than one person trying to launch. :D :D :D

BADBLOWN572
03-08-2007, 08:34 AM
I wouldn't do it in a boat 25' or more. The turn to get down to the ramp is a bitch. I have watched several people take out their trailer rims on long trailers. I also would not do it unless I had 4wd. That ramp is definitely slipery and not fun once you get stuck.

Captain Dan
03-08-2007, 08:43 AM
Bingo. So you're saying it's pretty much a 2 lane ramp when there is more than one person trying to launch. :D :D :D
Sad, but true. I stay at the Beachcomber and rely upon Site Six as a source of late afternoon/early evening entertainment. There's some real knuckleheads out there. There are some pro's mixed in, but the inexperienced are a treat. Also the 2WD drivers that require the help of the Dodge motorhome guy that pulls out the stuck people in reverse. Shouts of "Bring down the Dodge" can be heard on a good night......:)

HatenWinter
03-08-2007, 08:47 AM
NO! Site 6 is cursed.:devil: Aside from the fact that it's hard to get your boat out, I had my brand new boat rear ended there while waiting in line. Personally I will never go back. (Except maybe to sit and watch all the fun):D

909punk
03-08-2007, 09:24 AM
Alex, give me your paypal.. I'll cover your launch fee.. :D

HocusPocus
03-08-2007, 10:04 AM
i have been using site six for as long as i can remember, never had a problem. it doesn't even bother me if a crowd is there because im not on the ramp long enough to draw attention. :D

HMF'er
03-08-2007, 05:51 PM
I have heard enough.
Sticking with Windsor. If I ask anyone to borrow a few bucks, you'll know why.

Strippoker
03-08-2007, 05:58 PM
couldnt pay me to launch out of site 6 !!!!! the last time I did the rap was all wet and slimmy, just about had a h2 slide into the side of me when he was pulling out. An to top it off I put a major scrach in my hull due to the trailer being at a 90 to my boat. Along with pushing up mud a few times coming in. NOTE TO SELF when tons of people show up to watch others pull boats out tends to not be a good location.