PDA

View Full Version : AZ plates on a golf cart or Rhino

Screaming Pete
03-08-2007, 10:26 AM
if you have regestered you golf cart or rhino in california or az. and have plates.
is it leagel to drive them on the road in california, you know if you have them equiped with tail lights. break lights windshield dot tires. i sure wouldn't mind using the golf cart more around the hood. anybody have any insight on this. i know we have a lot of popo's on the site

Cole Trickle
03-08-2007, 10:33 AM
Not legal...
Drive with caution and try and use the you had no idea it wasn't legal in CA argument followed by an appology;):D

HocusPocus
03-08-2007, 10:48 AM
my wifes brother has a quad that is street legal in Az with plates but he knows better then drive on the streets here in Ca.

Tequila-John
03-08-2007, 10:50 AM
my golf cart has a lic and insurance

Cole Trickle
03-08-2007, 10:52 AM
my golf cart has a lic and insurance
In CA?
I know you can street legal carts in golf communities but you have to stay on roads that are 35mph and under.

Tequila-John
03-08-2007, 10:53 AM
In CA?
I know you can street legal carts in golf communities but you have to stay on roads that are 35mph and under.
AZ bud. Everyone here has them and the cops love to F--K with us

stoker
My Rhino has CA plates. I just need to get the insurance squared away.

riverbound
Its only illegal if you get caught ;)

Screaming Pete
03-08-2007, 11:01 AM
In CA?
thanks both my golf cart and rhino have plates and insurance, golf cart has ca. plate and the rhino has az. plates. and with the price of fuel...i'd rather use one of them more going to the store like when i'm at the river, picking the kids up from school (cool factor). ect

AvengerBabe
03-08-2007, 11:03 AM
thanks both my golf cart and rhino have plates and insurance, golf cart has ca. plate and the rhino has az. plates. and with the price of fuel...i'd rather use one of them more going to the store like when i'm at the river, picking the kids up from school (cool factor). ect
Petey, when did you get a rhino?!?:confused:

Boatcop
03-08-2007, 11:19 AM
I'll say it again, more clearly this time.
IT IS ILLEGAL FOR A CALIFORNIA RESIDENT TO OPERATE ANY VEHICLE OWNED BY HIM/HER ON THE ROAD IN CALIFORNIA, IF IT IS REGISTERED IN A STATE OTHER THAN CALIFORNIA!

Screaming Pete
03-08-2007, 11:27 AM
IT IS ILLEGAL FOR A CALIFORNIA RESIDENT TO OPERATE ANY VEHICLE OWNED BY HIM/HER ON THE ROAD IN CALIFORNIA, IF IT IS REGISTERED IN A STATE OTHER THAN CALIFORNIA!
so Alan your saying i shouldn't drive the rhino on the road in ca. i know if i'm in az i'm good right? what about the golf cart with ca plates....driving it in ca?

riverbound
03-08-2007, 11:32 AM
Question....we used to have a truck that stayed in AZ to launch the boats, etc.....but occasionaly came home (1 or 2 times a year) to bring the boat home for service (also registered in AZ, but trailer has Ca plates) What are the legalities in that?

Havasu1986
03-08-2007, 11:32 AM
I bring my AZ liscened golf cart home for the winter and drive it to the store and the park on side streets past the police and they have never stopped me.:)

Screaming Pete
03-08-2007, 12:09 PM
I bring my AZ liscened golf cart home for the winter and drive it to the store and the park on side streets past the police and they have never stopped me.:)
is it a gated community

Havasu1986
03-08-2007, 12:10 PM
is it a gated community
No residential.

SJP
03-08-2007, 12:55 PM
I have AZ plates, mirror, windsheild, on / off road insurance and I have an AZ drivers lic. Additionally I wired led blinkers and a relay on four corners of vehicle. Tires would be the only item I would need to replace and I figure if it comes down to something like that than either the cops having a bad day or I have pulled a jack a$$ move. Have been driving all over HB and there are other cal licenced carts on the road as well.

Screaming Pete
03-08-2007, 03:42 PM
any ca LE or highway patrol on board here for the code on this?

Boatcop
03-08-2007, 03:44 PM
To RB, Pete, et al.
Here's the CA VC statute:
8804. Every person who, while a resident, as defined in Section 516, of this state, with respect to any vehicle owned by him and operated in this state, registers or renews the registration for the vehicle in a foreign jurisdiction, without the payment of appropriate fees and taxes to this state, is guilty of a misdemeanor.
(Foreign means not California)
It doesn't matter if it has an Arizona address. If it's on the road in CA, and is registered or titled to you (as a CA resident), it has to have California registration, or dual registration, with fees and taxes paid to CA.
And definition of "resident":
516. "Resident" means any person who manifests an intent to live or be located in this state on more than a temporary or transient basis. Presence in the state for six months or more in any 12-month period gives rise to a rebuttable presumption of residency.
The following are evidence of residency for purposes of vehicle registration:
(a) Address where registered to vote.
(b) Location of employment or place of business.
(c) Payment of resident tuition at a public institution of higher education.
(d) Attendance of dependents at a primary or secondary school.
(e) Filing a homeowner's property tax exemption.
(f) Renting or leasing a home for use as a residence.
(g) Declaration of residency to obtain a license or any other privilege or benefit not ordinarily extended to a nonresident.
(h) Possession of a California driver's license.
(i) Other acts, occurrences, or events that indicate presence in the state is more than temporary or transient.

Baja Big Dog
03-08-2007, 04:08 PM
Thats because they are too busy busting people for doing 42 in a 40 on YL blvd!!!
Ill bet you couldnt pull it off with a Rhino.

Havasu1986
03-08-2007, 04:48 PM
Thats because they are too busy busting people for doing 42 in a 40 on YL blvd!!!
Ill bet you couldnt pull it off with a Rhino.
I live off of Yorba Linda Blvd and I don't drive my G.C. on main roads. Just back streets to get to the store or park. :)