PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here own a franchise?

riverracerx
03-08-2007, 11:59 AM
Like a fast food restaurant? Just curious about the pros and cons.
I was looking at a Quiznos opportunity....
Thoughts?

welk2party
03-08-2007, 12:03 PM
I like their sandwiches a lot. The best sandwich shop that is a chain IMO.

bigq
03-08-2007, 12:05 PM
Their commecials suck ass... food is good. I had a plumbing franchise for a short time (long story), just look at all the fees and restrictions very good.

Havasu1986
03-08-2007, 12:19 PM
Go to www.Quiznos.com they have a link to owning a franchise.

Jbb
03-08-2007, 12:22 PM
Brown has the Kelowna Inflate a Date Franchise......

Ivan Dan
03-08-2007, 12:28 PM
My buddy opened up a Juice It Up in Gilbert, AZ and is losing his ass unfortunately.

LAND_LOVER69
03-08-2007, 12:41 PM
Got a buddy of mine that had a Subway in a small college town in WV. Made money hand over fist but couldn't find good help and had to sell out.

Tequila-John
03-08-2007, 12:46 PM
My buddy opened up a Juice It Up in Gilbert, AZ and is losing his ass unfortunately.
Is the one by the new In and Out burger that is going in? Across the street from Costco?

Brady Bunch
03-08-2007, 12:55 PM
Thoughts?
A buddy of mine has a Quizno's here in San Diego.... Shoot me a PM and I can see about putting you in touch with him!
-Greg

Trailer Park Casanova
03-08-2007, 01:01 PM
Two friends owned 3 Chuys Baja Broilers franchise.
One friend Phil folded his (Woodland Hills) the other friend (Frank) owned 2 in Las Vegas and dropped the franchise name Chuy's and continued on without the fees and BS or company name.
A friend created Chuys (Mark Evanson)West of Texas, owns 41 locations and is doing well financially, but rolled his jeep at a slow speed with no seat belt and is a quadrapalegic.
They tell me with any food franchise:
Watch the fees and really know what you are looking at. Don't kid yourself and think you know what you are looking at.
Never works with a partner,, ever.
You'll have to put in a lot of your own time. A lot.
Have a business plan is the most essential of all.
Labor intensive, big turnover in help, and good help is hard to find.

No Regrets
03-08-2007, 01:04 PM
Thoughts?
Are you thinking about the one for sale at Seco & Copperhill?

TOBTEK
03-08-2007, 01:25 PM
Get ahold of Anothy at Threaded. He would be a good guy to talk with about the do's and dont's...... he has been selling franchises of his business.

TeamGreene
03-08-2007, 02:09 PM
Thoughts?
I have a friend that has two Cold Stone's for sale in palm desert.
760-242-5514 ask for Ralph

throwerb
03-08-2007, 02:53 PM
I owned two Robeks Juices before moving to TN. I also was their VP of Ops before buying the franchises, so I have seen it from both sides. Buying a Coldstone here in TN.

cdog
03-08-2007, 03:00 PM
Google Quizno franchise forums. I found a discussion about the quiznos while looking up info for a Jamba juice and everyone had real negative comments about quiznos franchise.

Ivan Dan
03-08-2007, 04:30 PM
Is the one by the new In and Out burger that is going in? Across the street from Costco?
I don't know anything about the area other than what he's told me. He said it's in a brand new shopping center that has taken WAY longer to complete than originally expected. And the main highway that is being built just finally was completed 4-6 months ago. He opened it in November of 2005 and has lost money every month since then.

RiverToysJas
03-08-2007, 04:43 PM
He opened it in November of 2005 and has lost money every month since then.
That's no shocker......I can't think of a single time I've ever heard anyone say, "Let go out for some juice!"
RTJas :D

Daddy_G
03-08-2007, 04:46 PM
Thoughts?
Here's the straight poop-scoop...
I own two very different businesses (One in SO Cal, One in Phoenix).
Prior to moving (from So Cal to Scottsdale) I looked into many many franchise and private business ops for more than a year.
Here's my consensus - Franchises are great... For the Franchiser.
If you are a true entrepreneur, the rules, regs and fees will eventually drive you out just like most of those referenced in the posts noted here.
Otherwise, you're just buying yourself a (usually low paying) job.
Having said that - here's a couple of great resources for your research:
http://www.franchise-chat.com/
http://www.franchisegator.com/
Keep your eyes wide open and scrutinize everything!
Remember, they are in the business of selling MORE FRANCHISES!:jawdrop:
Best of luck to ya!

bohica
03-08-2007, 04:55 PM
Otherwise, you're just buying yourself a (usually low paying) job.
My feeling on franchises too.;)

Tequila-John
03-08-2007, 05:19 PM
I don't know anything about the area other than what he's told me. He said it's in a brand new shopping center that has taken WAY longer to complete than originally expected. And the main highway that is being built just finally was completed 4-6 months ago. He opened it in November of 2005 and has lost money every month since then.
Thats the place he is a real nice guy

Mandelon
03-08-2007, 05:24 PM
Quiznos sure is pricey. Two sandwiches with drinks is like $16.00....:eek: They're OK, but not THAT good.

Rvr Swpr
03-08-2007, 05:25 PM
starbucks,the right location,sure thing if alot of square footage in store

Burn504
03-08-2007, 05:29 PM
my friend owned a Quiznos.. never made any good money and ended up selling it to somebody else(making nothing).
The biggest complaint he had with Corporate was they demanded he use their napkins, bags, and basically everything else which was waaay overpriced AND there is no actual trade/market area. So they would let another quiznos open right next to you if someone was willing.
I would definitely not do it.
One of the fastest growing Franchises right now is Knockouts for Men. Think of it like Hooters Haircuts.:D

throwerb
03-08-2007, 06:26 PM
That's no shocker......I can't think of a single time I've ever heard anyone say, "Let go out for some juice!"
RTJas :D
Average Jamba Juice does 750k a year 20% or higher to bottom line. Some stores do over 3m, plenty of juice lovers out there.

throwerb
03-08-2007, 06:29 PM
starbucks,the right location,sure thing if alot of square footage in store
They don't franchise, unless your name is Magic Johnson, then they will give you a license deal tp open stores in some challenged areas.

DMOORE
03-08-2007, 06:51 PM
Your right. Starbucks are corporate owned. As for Quizno's, my next door neighbor was the master franchiser for southern CA.He has since sold. It's a tuff biz. I am also in the restaurant business, and it is very hard for 1st timers( 90% fail rate) When you purchase a franchise they will dictate basically everything in the way of purchasing. That's why ,it is a franchise. The only way you are going to make money in a food franchise, is if you own multiple units. Lets take a look of what most of these stores do, numbers wise. If the store does 600k a year in sales and you take 12% to the bottom line(industry average) you just bought yourself a 72k-a-year job. Remember, thats after a large outlay of cash, and liabiliy.
Darrell.

shueman
03-08-2007, 07:19 PM
A lot has to do with location, location, location....SoCal is saturated....:(

beaverretriever
03-08-2007, 07:42 PM
Of course not all franchises are cash cows, but there are plenty that are but they are expensive to get in to. I had a buddy whose parents owned the only Jack in the Box in the town I grew up in and they were rolling in dough. I think most McDonalds owners are doing well.
I would look at somthing else besides a restaurant. They are too much work and you will always require people to work for you. You can get many franchises that you can run yourself or with minimal help.
I know a guy that owns a Sign A Rama and he does really well. Does even more marketing than the franchise recommends and works hard, but it pays off.
There are franchise shows here in Vegas. People I have talked to that seem to know somthing about franchises say go to the shows and find up and coming new franchises that are still cheap start ups. Although they may have a limited track record, you can still look at it to get a good idea if it will be profitable.
Good luck.

throwerb
03-09-2007, 04:51 AM
A lot has to do with location, location, location....SoCal is saturated....:(
Well said. I'd say training and marketing are also at the top. Quizno's does a great job with both, but will let you open anywhere you want, and I have seen some really stupid site selections. My friend owns three Quizno's in downtown LA and you can guess how well he does with them.

HocusPocus
03-09-2007, 08:05 AM
the little town we live in is limited in what is available for food. we looked into a sandwich shop and have the capital to do so. we were told by subway, quiznos many others that if we submitted the location they would offer that to a current franchiser and we may be eligible to get that location if they all turned it down. if we wanted to apply and submit all the necessary info then they would see if they could find us a location somewhere. starbucks may allow someone to buy into them if you are a master concessionaire with a great location such as an airport and your business is good.
good luck to you on whatever you decide to do.

AirtimeLavey
03-09-2007, 11:22 PM
Used to sell TV commercials to a guy that owned 6 or 7 Wendys in OC. He and his wife loved it, but he worked hard and ran a tight ship. He was also very successful. Another client had a Napa auto parts, and he loved it.
I like Quiznos, even though I agree w/Mandelon, they're expensive for a sandwich. Still, we eat there regularly. Look at Starbucks. I would've never thought they'd survive. $5 cup of coffee. Crazy.
Obviously, location is going to be critical. Don't get caught back in a corner, w/no street visiblity. Also, while the franchisor will do national, brand type marketing, you're gonna want to figure out a marketing strategy that capitalizes on that, and also something that localizes it to your specific stores.
If you're new to owning a business, a franchise can be good in that they've already done a lot of the testing, etc. They have a formula that usually works, and that takes a lot of the guess work and trial and error frustrations out of the picture. The other hand is you don't have much control over much of the process, etc. Like others said, depending on which one you choose, in most cases, the money comes from owning multiples. Also, you need some good people working for you. They'll make or break you.
Good luck and post it as you go.

Magic34
03-09-2007, 11:34 PM
I know a little bit about the Cold Stone franchise. We are family friends with the original owners before it was a franchise. He gave up 50% ownership and this other group were the ones who has taken it to where it is today.
One of my employees owns 1 location in Vegas and now they are opening a 2nd one. The first one started doing so well in the first year, that they decided to open the second shop. Basically, they have opened 2 locations in the past 18 months.
I think the recent report I saw was that Subway was the #1 franchise to own right now.

jdogginla
03-12-2007, 06:29 AM
Chris, not trying to discourage you but do yourself a favor and search Bizben. com and see how many Quizno franchise's are for sale. That will tell you something. Franchise's work if done properly........On that note, hit me up if you feel like it. I did a ton of research and have invested on the ground level in a new restaurant that will eventually franchise. Right now there is one location in burbank, with another opening in beverly hills and santa monica. I'm happy to pass along the info if needed.
Hope all is well.