PDA

View Full Version : Boston lead singer Brad Delp dies at 55

RitcheyRch
03-09-2007, 08:23 PM
http://music.yahoo.com/read/news/40689307
Brad Delp, the lead singer for the band Boston, was found dead Friday in his home in southern New Hampshire. He was 55. Atkinson police responded to a call for help at 1:20 p.m. and found Delp dead. Police Lt. William Baldwin said in a statement the death was "untimely" and that there was no indication of foul play.
Delp apparently was alone at the time of his death, Baldwin said.
The cause of his death remained under investigation by the Atkinson police and the New Hampshire Medical Examiner's office. Police said an incident report would not be available until Monday.
Delp sang vocals on Boston's 1976 hits "More than a Feeling" and "Longtime." He also sang on Boston's most recent album, "Corporate America," released in 2002.
He joined the band in the early 1970s after meeting Tom Scholz, an MIT student interested in experimental methods of recording music, according to the group's official Web site. The band enjoyed its greatest success and influence during its first decade.
The band's last appearance was in November 2006 at Boston's Symphony Hall.
On Friday night, the Web site was taken down and replaced with the statement: "We just lost the nicest guy in rock and roll."
A call to the Swampscott, Mass., home of Boston guitarist Barry Goudreau was not immediately returned Friday night.
On the Net:
http://www.bandboston.com

Havasu1986
03-09-2007, 08:26 PM
Bummer..I was in high school in the late 70's and Boston brings back alot of good times.:(

RaceFace
03-09-2007, 08:41 PM
Very sad day in Rock n roll. I didn't see anything about this anywhere today.
I think I will put on my Boston CD on right now as tribute. He was way too young.
Brad was a very talented man and will be missed.

mrs.rvrluvr
03-09-2007, 08:42 PM
Man...that's awful, I love them.

MR.rvrluvr
03-09-2007, 08:48 PM
man that is a big loss in the music world.....That was one great band

f_inscreenname
03-09-2007, 09:10 PM
Brad has brought a lot of joy to my life through his music. He will be sorely missed. :( :(

DaddyMack
03-09-2007, 09:27 PM
Bummer..I was in high school in the late 70's and Boston brings back alot of good times.:(
You and me both!

MR.rvrluvr
03-09-2007, 09:29 PM
You and me both!
I was 6 yrs old in the late 70's:D :D :D :D

73kona455
03-09-2007, 09:45 PM
always one of my favorites.. RIP Brad..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFwIgbyrNhw

moneypit
03-09-2007, 09:52 PM
I'm bummed out..thats sad stuff right there.

Rod-64
03-09-2007, 10:59 PM
WTF????????
From Wikipedia............
Longtime lead singer Brad Delp passed away on March 9th, 2007 at his home in southern New Hampshire.[1] Police responded to a call for help and found Delp dead with his penis caught in a homemade device

grads2112
03-09-2007, 11:06 PM
Damn that sucks...one of the greatest bands ever.

Liberator TJ1984
03-10-2007, 06:35 AM
http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2007/SHOWBIZ/Music/03/09/delp.dead.reut/vert.delp.ap.jpg
and he looked to be in a hellofalot better heath than Eddie does :(

JetBoatRich
03-10-2007, 06:44 AM
Need to break out my old LP's I think I still have a couple 8-tracks from the group.
RIP Brad

73kona455
03-10-2007, 07:16 AM
WTF????????
From Wikipedia............
Longtime lead singer Brad Delp passed away on March 9th, 2007 at his home in southern New Hampshire.[1] Police responded to a call for help and found Delp dead with his penis caught in a homemade device
that is soo wrong...

My Man's Sportin' Wood
03-10-2007, 08:07 AM
This is my favorite song by them. I love the drum beat ( I think that's what they call a back beat, but I'm not sure)
ROCK AND ROLL BAND
Well, we were just another band out of Boston
On the road to try to make ends meet
Playin all the bars, sleepin in our cars
And we practiced right on out in the street
No, we didnt have much money
We barely made enough to survive
But when we got up on stage and got ready to play
People came alive.
Rock and roll band
Everybodys waitin
Gettin crazy
Anticipating love and music
Play, play, play, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah
Dancin in the streets of Hyannis
We were getting pretty good at the game
People stood in line and didnt seem to mind
You know everybody knew our name
Livin on rock-n-roll music
Never worry bout the things we were missing
When we got up on the stage and got ready to play
Everybody'd listen.
Rock and roll band
Everybodys waitin
Gettin crazy
Playin for a week in rhode island
A man came to the stage one night
He smoked a big cigar
Drove a cadillac car
And said, boys, I think this bands outta-sight
Sign a record company contract
You know Ive got great expectations
When I hear you on the car radio
Youre goin to be a sensation!
Rock and roll band
Everybodys waitin
Gettin crazy
(scholz)
Thanks for the great music!!

Flyinbowtie
03-10-2007, 08:35 AM
Delp was a vegetarian for over 30 years. Very much into his health, and improving the lives of those around him. A normal guy in a normal neighborhood who happened to be a huge star.
I am 48. I remember hearing the singles when they broke on KMET and KLOS in the early seventies, and wondering why there was no album.
Finally, the album, "Boston" was released in '76, after they finished recording and mixing it, primarily in Tom Sholz' basement.
According to everything I can find, it remains the largest selling debut album in U.S. History. The vinyl version is on the Technics direct drive right now, just for old times sake.
I've seen them in concert 5 times. Like many of you, Boston's music has been a major part of the soundtrack of my life. Their harmonies touched some very private part of my soul. Rock and Roll Band, Long Time, Don't Look Back, are works of Rock and Roll art, IMHO
Once, around 1999, when my wife was pals with a lady who ran a ticketmaster outlet, she was able to surprise me with center stage 3rd row seats for a summer outdoor show at the Reno Hilton Apmhitheater.We got there early. When The Band came out for a final sound check, I let out a huge holler, and Delp looked right at me, grinned, stepped off the stage and shook my hand.
He said, "Thank you, man. The energy coming from you will power us for hours." He then turned around, went back and did his sound check. I was stunned.
Everyone has music that touches their lives. For me, Boston transcends that, their music is part of my life. There are Boston CD's in my truck, in my boat and in my Bug right now.
I probably sound like a nut, but realizing there will be no summer reunion in 2007, or if their is one Brad won't be there, really sucks.
Godspeed, Brad.

Keith E. Sayre
03-10-2007, 08:49 AM
Countless laps up and down Center Street in Provo Utah
in a 56 Chevy listening to Bostons first album. You couldn't
play that album enough, it never got old. I still listen to it.
One of the best!
Keith Sayre

Cas
03-10-2007, 09:35 AM
Everyone has music that touches their lives. For me, Boston transcends that, their music is part of my life.
Godspeed, Brad.
I'm right there with you on that! Even though I have their vinyls and CD's, I always turn the radio up when their music is played....especially Rock and Roll Band and More than a Feeling. Great stuff!

f_inscreenname
03-10-2007, 09:56 AM
Delp was a vegetarian for over 30 years. Very much into his health, and improving the lives of those around him. A normal guy in a normal neighborhood who happened to be a huge star.
I am 48. I remember hearing the singles when they broke on KMET and KLOS in the early seventies, and wondering why there was no album.
Finally, the album, "Boston" was released in '76, after they finished recording and mixing it, primarily in Tom Sholz' basement.
According to everything I can find, it remains the largest selling debut album in U.S. History. The vinyl version is on the Technics direct drive right now, just for old times sake.
I've seen them in concert 5 times. Like many of you, Boston's music has been a major part of the soundtrack of my life. Their harmonies touched some very private part of my soul. Rock and Roll Band, Long Time, Don't Look Back, are works of Rock and Roll art, IMHO
Once, around 1999, when my wife was pals with a lady who ran a ticketmaster outlet, she was able to surprise me with center stage 3rd row seats for a summer outdoor show at the Reno Hilton Apmhitheater.We got there early. When The Band came out for a final sound check, I let out a huge holler, and Delp looked right at me, grinned, stepped off the stage and shook my hand.
He said, "Thank you, man. The energy coming from you will power us for hours." He then turned around, went back and did his sound check. I was stunned.
Everyone has music that touches their lives. For me, Boston transcends that, their music is part of my life. There are Boston CD's in my truck, in my boat and in my Bug right now.
I probably sound like a nut, but realizing there will be no summer reunion in 2007, or if their is one Brad won't be there, really sucks.
Godspeed, Brad.
You and I are cut from the same cloth. I wrote this on one of my websites a couple months ago.
Whats your best time on the water?
I have a lot of good times on the water (and some bad times to). Just being out there is awesome to me. Especially since I have a boat I am starting to be proud of (most of my past stuff was functional and not real pretty). Now barring when I am out with the wife and kids which is always great or when I was a kid out with my grandmother who taught me everything I know about boats and the main reason I love the water so much. I have to say is it is going to a concert for me.
Being in this area has its perks and one of them is the Baltimore Inner Harbor. It’s a pain to get to. 6mph for 4 or 5 miles with a lumpy motor has its challenges especially when you have to clear it throat so to speak and the water cops are eyeballing you but we make the trip a couples times a year. 4th of July is a must for fireworks from the boat and few other things.
One thing they do have is a concert hall on Pier 6. They say pier I say land jetty. The thing is big. A couple summers ago me and my best friend for the last 25 years had plans on going to see Boston perform. Its really cool. You pull your boat up between a hotel and the hall and there is the show and it sounds like you are inside. He was bringing his 17’ Scottie Craft and I was bringing the Nova19. Well we talk about it for weeks before the event and come the day to go I cant find him anywhere.(I later find out it was the last week of his marriage) and I am bummed. I wasn’t even going to go but I had to. This band is the reason I like music. I remember back in 1976 (I was at my sisters and brother in laws (he was a perfectionist and his bad ass stereo showed it) house in Maine (the band was huge up there). In walks Marc with this new album telling my sister, “he go it.” We weren’t through the first song (More Then a Feeling) and I was hooked and have been ever since.
So like I said the day comes and no Randy. It was the middle of the week so the wife didn’t want to go so off I go alone. I get there, get a perfect spot but cant get my anchor to hook up. Just then a nice WellCraft Nova pulls up and drops this massive anchor, throws out a couple bumpers and says, “hey bud, come on” as he tells a friend to “get this man a beer, we have things to talk about” . He then turns back to me (I’m sure with a “what the ….” look on my face) and says, “nice boat, what is that?” Now being he had a WellCraft Nova and I had its ancestor we had lots to talk about.
The concert happens and it was awesome. Standing on the deck of the Nova seeing them is something I will never forget.
The show is over, we say our good by’s (to the crowed in front of the hotel also who wanted to go for rides) and its time to go. It’s a great night. Nice and cool for mid summer and a full moon is so bright it was like daytime. As I get out past Ft McHenry (end of the 6mph zone) the water has that real nice roll going on where the waves are just prefect. I hit the gas and put a few miles on the boat as it runs perfect (this way all the crazy’s at the ramp will be gone). I come back in a hour or two (maybe more, kind of lost track of time) and the ramp is clear. Right on the trailer it goes and I am home in no time.
Wow just thinking about it makes me want to take a ride and pop in a CD!
And that is just one story. There is also that More Then A Feeling was mine and my all through High school sweetheart's (my first love) song. After we broke up I listened to Dreams from Barry Goudreau's album (Brad did vocals on it also) a million times. And the good times and some bad times go on and on.
I think the next time I hear his voice there will be a tear in my eye for Brad and what he has meant to me over the years.
Now its time for Tom to put the name and band Boston away. No one can replace Brad and it a cheap imitation any other way.

bajabri
03-10-2007, 08:30 PM
My first concert in 78...they are part of the soundtrack of my life...just another indicator of getting older. I would have never thought when I was listening to them in my GTO at a High School party that it would end like this...Foghat, Boston, Allman Bros. April Wine, too many to list. I think I will break out the vinyl and spin a couple.........:cry: :cry: :cry:

Sherpa
03-11-2007, 09:36 AM
their first album (cd version) is in my car at this moment....
and prior to cd's, I can probably say I've worn out at least 6 or more cassette
tapes from just the first album alone.........
--Sherpa

Havasu1986
03-11-2007, 09:41 AM
My buddy had one of the album covers air brushed on the top of his graduation cap in 77. I think it was a spaceship. :)

Rock-A-Bye-Baby
03-11-2007, 04:22 PM
Brad Delp has always been one of my top 5 all time singers. I put him up there with Robert Plant, Paul Rogers, etc. He always seems to be left off the "All Time Greats" lists and I never understand it. He had incredible range and had such a powerful voice.