PDA

View Full Version : HELP: JB Weld product. Have you used it?

moneypit
03-11-2007, 11:45 AM
I used the JB weld stick stuff to re fill the top of my 496 manifold. I Just need to re tap it so I can re mount my boat bling engine cover. Anyway, the instruction say cures in 60 mins.. then on the box it says full cure is 24 hours..
I don't want to re tap and F it up again.. How long should I wait...? Is this stuff going to work?
Any help is appreciated ..

hoolign
03-11-2007, 11:52 AM
Never had much luck with that crap! If your just re tapping it why not just throw a heli-coil in?? :idea:

moneypit
03-11-2007, 11:56 AM
I looked for a helicoil in the size I needed 1/4 28, but I couldn't find it.. I may just internet order one. I thought I would give this stuff a whirl..

YeLLowBoaT
03-11-2007, 12:16 PM
wait 24 hours

Screemy1
03-11-2007, 12:22 PM
I used it in the case of my DRZ400E dirt bike.... I installed a kick lever to an electric only start bike..... the instructions that come with the kit from suzuki are wrong!!! so after the install.... the first kick made a loud grind.... after splitting it open I found the instructions told me to put a gear in wrong.... it broke the case where I had to mount the kick guide..... I called suzuki and they told me to pound sand.... and I should of had a suzuk mech install it.... I told them they should have an engineer that does not have his head up his ass write the instructions.... that got nowhere..... so I didn't want to pull the engine to have the case repaired.... I went ghetto and jb welded the guide into the case.... Just rough up the metal where you are going to use it..... filled it with oil after 2 days, the first day I had a 60 watt bulb over it to help cure since it was freezing out...... It has worked fine for the past year..... and I ride the hell out of it.....not a putter, it gets thrashed through the mountains and rocks.... it is embarassing to say J B Weld is holding the inside of the engine together..... but it works.......

phebus
03-11-2007, 12:47 PM
I looked for a helicoil in the size I needed 1/4 28, but I couldn't find it.. I may just internet order one. I thought I would give this stuff a whirl..
If your going to helicoil it, you don't have to stay with the size it was. Just helicoil with something close, and buy a new bolt.

Jbb
03-11-2007, 12:53 PM
I have used it on tons of broken off cast parts.....never has let me down...just make sure the parts are clean...

moneypit
03-11-2007, 01:36 PM
cool.. I will wait 24 hours to drill into it.
Thanks Guys!

Racey
03-11-2007, 01:52 PM
I know how to weld!
... JB Weld:rolleyes:

SHOTKALLIN
03-11-2007, 02:01 PM
jb weld works great on pipes

moneypit
03-11-2007, 02:04 PM
I know how to weld!
... JB Weld:rolleyes:
I skipped Adult School and went straight to college.:jawdrop: :jawdrop:
Im sure this will work out fine.

ULTRA26 # 1
03-11-2007, 02:09 PM
If it's not Kwik weld, wait 24 hours. I have had great luck with JB Weld and Kwik Weld
John M

Jyruiz
03-11-2007, 02:53 PM
I used it on the exhaust pipe of my 98 Superjet, worked great.

Biglue
03-11-2007, 05:42 PM
There is also another brand of threaded inserts called EZ-LOCK. Slightly thicker wall of inserts. I use them all the time making fixturing and tooling plates.
Timesert is another reputable company. Just thought I'd throw those 2 names out there in case the JB Weld doesn't hold up for you.

Wheeler
03-11-2007, 05:55 PM
I have had the best results, using "KeenSerts"
http://www.specialty-fasteners.co.uk/pdf/INS-KNS-KNS.pdf