PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Tires

LUVNLIFE
03-11-2007, 06:35 PM
Well I lost a Carlisle on the way to the lake today so I know the other three are on there way out. So what is the best? I had Denmans on another trailer that seemed to do alright and but with the season coming on I want some goo tires on the trailer. As always thanks in advance, Cale.:) :)
PS I know this thread has been done before but help a brother out.

curtis73
03-11-2007, 10:51 PM
I've had terrible luck with both Goodyear Marathons and Carlisle. Both have had trouble with recalls and defects, but according to Carlisle they have changed manufacturers and the problems are gone.
Check to see if your Carlisles have a recall, mine did and I got new ones for the cost of mounting. No problems yet.

Outnumbered
03-11-2007, 11:45 PM
Towmaster V (Roman "five") from Greenball Tire

Outnumbered
03-11-2007, 11:46 PM
http://www.greenball.com/tires/towmasterv.htm

STV_Keith
03-12-2007, 07:53 AM
Check to see if your Carlisles have a recall, mine did and I got new ones for the cost of mounting.
Where did you find this information? I have 13 between my two trailers.

curtis73
03-12-2007, 05:17 PM
Where did you find this information? I have 13 between my two trailers.
I grew up in Carlisle, PA, and many of my friends/family have worked for them over the years.... but actually that information came from the customer service person I spoke with about the recall on my tires. It was also very obvious... the Carlisle tire I had that blew was a a completely different look, tread, carcass from the one they used to replace it. They were both Radial Trail 225/75-16, but the new ones were obviously a whole different tire.

curtis73
03-12-2007, 05:19 PM
Towmaster V (Roman "five") from Greenball Tire
Are they still rebadged Marathons, or have they changed suppliers?

Trailer Park Casanova
03-13-2007, 05:08 PM
Greenball Towmaster, and order them in the highest load rating you can.
I have E series on my trailers. You can feel the towing difference with the much higher pressures. Excellent.
Americas has the best prices and best standard warranty.
For a few bux more you can get their no hassle cert warranty and it's a good investment.
Good chance you'll eventually use it.
Big O in Havasu sells them but offers no warranty.
Carlisle is now a div of Goodyear.

4day!!
03-14-2007, 09:41 AM
I've had terrible luck with both Goodyear Marathons and Carlisle. Both have had trouble with recalls and defects, but according to Carlisle they have changed manufacturers and the problems are gone.
Check to see if your Carlisles have a recall, mine did and I got new ones for the cost of mounting. No problems yet.
I lost 3 goodyear marathons within 2 trips last year. They were only 2 years old and i only trailer from needles to havi. I also always check air pressure and bearings every time i pick the boat up from storage. I have never heard a good word about the marathons. I went with all greenball.

STV_Keith
03-14-2007, 10:58 AM
Called Carlisle this morning and the nice woman (NOT) that answered the phone rudely told me they have NEVER had a recall on their tires.

Xlration Marine
03-14-2007, 07:56 PM
Wow. My tires are 14 years old. But now that I say it they will all blow out. 30 hours on the 94 Daycruiser, yea it's been sitting for a while.

Outnumbered
03-14-2007, 10:18 PM
Are they still rebadged Marathons, or have they changed suppliers?
I think you are confusing Goodyear and Carlisle. They are the same. Greenball is its own deal.

cruser
03-14-2007, 11:12 PM
I just made a trip from Portland Ore to Phoenix on 2 of the Carlisles that came with my 2002 Extreme boat trailer. These are the same tires that were on it when i towed the trailer/boat from Eliminator near L. A. to Portland in 2004. I have no idea how many miles are on them since the trailer was used when i bought it from Eliminator. I replaced one tire because I hit some wood on the road and punctured the tire on the edge of the sidewall and the other is now my spare. I have had good luck with these so far but was concerned with all the stories I see on here.

lucky
03-15-2007, 07:01 AM
Well I lost a Carlisle on the way to the lake today so I know the other three are on there way out. So what is the best? I had Denmans on another trailer that seemed to do alright and but with the season coming on I want some goo tires on the trailer. As always thanks in advance, Cale.:) :)
PS I know this thread has been done before but help a brother out.
I hate flat tires - I have found it useful to keep girlfriends around seems they have mechanical abilitys and can fix them in like 2.2 seconds -- :D :devil:

LUVNLIFE
03-16-2007, 01:52 PM
So are these Greenball Towmasters the chit? I don't mind paying for good tires but I want good tires when I pay for them. Thanks:)

RitcheyRch
03-16-2007, 03:55 PM
Go see Rick at RG Brake and Alignment. He is on Creekside near the Post Office.
661-259-7098
So are these Greenball Towmasters the chit? I don't mind paying for good tires but I want good tires when I pay for them. Thanks:)

VDRIVERACING
03-19-2007, 10:27 AM
Looks like Greenball sources tire products from over seas, and domestically from Goodyear since 1993.
From reading their website, it was not clear to me which products, specifically, they manufactured, where they were manufactured, or which products were sourced from other manufacturers. That said, products made to their specs by others may still be of high quality, but I didn't get the warm and fuzzy reading their explanation. Finally, their site did not explain the beneifts of their brand/design; simply a chart of available sizes.
I have Marathons and have towed all over the southwest without incident. I'll keep my eye on them.

Beer-30
03-19-2007, 10:35 AM
Towmasters. Any number will do. The V (five) is the latest tread / carcass.
You will not be sorry.
I've shredded a Marathon or two. Friends have shredded Carlisles.
If the carcass was still inflated when the tire came apart, it was a separation. This is usually due to stacking tire too high in the warehouse and for too long. The bottom ones take the brunt of the load for the longest time.
Towmaster does not do that. From the factory to Greenball, they are stacked no more than 5 high, and are usually transported sideways, on their tread. This keeps the sidewalls and tread from pre-mature side loading.
Much better tire.

LUVNLIFE
03-20-2007, 05:19 PM
Hooked up with my tire guy today and he had the Greenballs in stock. He told me since I was a repeat customer he would help me out. He has some tires that are load range E (10 ply) which is two better than Greenball at 8 ply. I get them for the same price as the Greenballs. I think they were called Mile Meters? They are the ones that the small car carriers use and he has only ever had one come back.

Beer-30
03-20-2007, 05:49 PM
Hooked up with my tire guy today and he had the Greenballs in stock. He told me since I was a repeat customer he would help me out. He has some tires that are load range E (10 ply) which is two better than Greenball at 8 ply. I get them for the same price as the Greenballs. I think they were called Mile Meters? They are the ones that the small car carriers use and he has only ever had one come back.
Never heard of them. What the heck, give'm a try.
Load ratings are as such:
6 ply is LR-C, and the most common. Usually on the trailer(s) when purchased.
8 ply is LR-D, and standard on your heavier trailers (boats included).
10 ply is LR-E. Not all sizes come in this. Usually only the bigger sizes, like 225/75-15 and up.
Drawbacks to higher load ratings (nothing is free) is that the cargo gets a stiffer ride. Less flex in the tire means more bumps get felt by what is suspended by the tires. Also, in the event of a separation, more damage can be sustained. On a 4 or 6 ply tire, if the tread separates but hangs onto the carcass at speed, the flopping will do little - if any - damage.
On an 8 or 10 ply, the tread flopping around can do a tremendous amount of damage. You'll likely lose a fender. I have six 10 ply Towmasters on the boat trailer, so I run the risk of some pretty decent damage in the event of a sep. But, they run cooler than 6 ply. They resist punctures significantly better. And, the more plys on the tread give you some more on the sidewall, too. This helps maintain structure with the inevitable curb-strike.
+'s and -'s either way.

LUVNLIFE
03-20-2007, 06:14 PM
Thanks for the info Paul. Few things there I didn't know. I think I will be the guienny(?) pig and try them. I've been going to this guy for like almost eight years so I don't think he would steer me wrong I hope. For what it's worth they looked like some sturdy tires in the 225/75's.:)

Beer-30
03-20-2007, 06:16 PM
Well, they are relatively cheap in comparison to car/truck tires, so if they don't work out after a few years - it's not an arm and a leg to switch.
Looks like we'll be saying hi again on the 31st, eh?

LUVNLIFE
03-20-2007, 06:34 PM
Yep we will be there. Plus you can check out my new tires:D

LUVNLIFE
03-24-2007, 10:41 AM
Just got four new ProMeters put on. Load range E. :)

BLOWN HOWARD
03-25-2007, 06:22 PM
Run the Denman's 10ply load range e you wont be dissapointed!!!!