PDA

View Full Version : Thank you cards. WTF, people don't write them anymore?

beaverretriever
03-13-2007, 08:28 AM
To start off, my wife will write a thank you card to people who had us over for dinner, or to thank a co-worker for helping her out. I write thankyou cards to all my customers and help my wife write ones for our wedding, or Christmas gifts, etc. We had our wedding thank yous out within 2 weeks of our wedding!!!
In the last 8 months we have had two family members get married. One on my wifes side and one on my side. Niether couple wrote us thank you cards for the wedding gifts that we got them. Both got married over 3 months ago, and still no thank you cards, not even a fricken e-mail. Its not like the gifts were crap either, but that doesn't matter.
No matter what, people should write more thank you cards. They don't need to say much, just a simple "thank you" or somthing like that.
Do you send thank you cards?

DILLIGAF
03-13-2007, 08:30 AM
It is especially appropriate to send one after a wedding or baby gifts for the newborn. Some people just don't seem to have basic social skills these days.

welk2party
03-13-2007, 08:34 AM
To start off, my wife will write a thank you card to people who had us over for dinner, or to thank a co-worker for helping her out. I write thankyou cards to all my customers and help my wife write ones for our wedding, or Christmas gifts, etc. We had our wedding thank yous out within 2 weeks of our wedding!!!
In the last 8 months we have had two family members get married. One on my wifes side and one on my side. Niether couple wrote us thank you cards for the wedding gifts that we got them. Both got married over 3 months ago, and still no thank you cards, not even a fricken e-mail. Its not like the gifts were crap either, but that doesn't matter.
No matter what, people should write more thank you cards. They don't need to say much, just a simple "thank you" or somthing like that.
I agree with you 100% but the wife says they have up to 6 months for a wedding thank you...according to ediquette.

thumbs
03-13-2007, 08:34 AM
Did you give the gift because you wanted a thank you card? Probably not so I would not let it bother me if I were you. It's nice that your wife is thoughtful enought to write thank you cards for even the little things but you can't expect everyone to do the same. I believe the you have 6 months to write thank you cards for wedding gifts.
Do you write a thank you card for getting a thank you cards?:idea:

pixilatedpussy
03-13-2007, 08:36 AM
I agree...people are not as nearly as considerate as they used to be. I always send a thankyou.:)

Mr. C
03-13-2007, 08:39 AM
I am really bad about writing thank you letters, but i almost always pick up the phone and thank them. Don't know if its right or not but seems to be a little more personel to me.
Now my kids have been threatened with no more gifts if they can't take the time to either write or call (Grandma & Grandpa). I try to tell my kids if someone has the time to go and shop for a gift the least you can do is take the time to say thank you. If that is to much trouble then they will stop sending gifts.

mrs.rvrluvr
03-13-2007, 08:43 AM
Some people are just clueless when it comes to saying "thank you". I have a friend that sends thank you cards out, but they are like a year later. At that point I'm just like why bother.

MR.rvrluvr
03-13-2007, 08:44 AM
NO
THANK YOU :D :D

uvindex
03-13-2007, 08:48 AM
Do you send thank you cards?Yes. :) Not receiving a thank you card for a wedding gift warrants a note from you to ensure that they actually did receive the gift (screw-ups do happen). Imagine if the card got knocked off the box or something -- they might think that you guys stiffed them on the gift (now if you gave them a check that was deposited, never mind). Either way, you'll verify that they got your gift, and also give them a little reminder about basic manners. :)

yopengo
03-13-2007, 08:48 AM
Thank God for my wife. She sends them all the time and makes sure our kids send them as well. I suck at sending thank you cards…I’m too dam busy farting around on Hot Boat to be bothered with cards. :D

Havasu1986
03-13-2007, 08:56 AM
These days you need to wait 6 months to make sure the marriage lasts that long.:D

ratso
03-13-2007, 08:59 AM
These days you need to wait 6 months to make sure the marriage lasts that long.:D
LMAO... ain't that the truth...:D
I don't send any out, and I expect none in return...;)

beaverretriever
03-13-2007, 09:04 AM
Funny you say that, one was 8 months ago, and no card and now they are divorced. LOL
My family member actually got married about 4.5 months ago if I remember correctly and no card. I think the 6 month thing is a joke. If they are not going to write them within 2 months, they never will IMHO.

ratso
03-13-2007, 09:05 AM
Funny you say that, one was 8 months ago, and no card and now they are divorced. LOL
My family member actually got married about 4.5 months ago if I remember correctly and no card. I think the 6 month thing is a joke. If they are not going to write them within 2 months, they never will IMHO.
I'd like to send you a Thank You card for the pics you post of your hot wife...:D

Baja Big Dog
03-13-2007, 09:08 AM
Dear Beaverretriver,
Thank you so much for the lovley post. I found it to be very informitive and insightful.
It also brought to attention my lack of sending thank you cards.
Again thank you for this post, I will always remember it will attempt to practice the subject every day!
Love
The Dog

mrs.rvrluvr
03-13-2007, 09:10 AM
Dear Beaverretriver,
Thank you so much for the lovley post. I found it to be very informitive and insightful.
Again thank you for this post, I will always remember it will attempt to practice the subject every day!
Love
The Dog
LMAO :D :D :D

yopengo
Dear Beaverretriver,
Love
The Dog
LMAO!!!

Kilrtoy
When people do something out of the ordinary for me I wil always get a nice card and leave it for them....

beaverretriever
03-13-2007, 10:16 AM
Dear Beaverretriver,
Love
The Dog
Dog,
Thank you for your thank you card. I appreciate all the thought you put in to it.
Your friend,
Beaver

mrs.rvrluvr
03-13-2007, 10:18 AM
Dog,
Thank you for your thank you card. I appreciate all the thought you put in to it.
Your friend,
Beaver
Dear Beaver,
Thanks for making me laugh.
Sincerely,
Mrs. Rvrluvr :) :)

Mrs.Racer277
03-13-2007, 10:21 AM
I always send thank yous :)

Baja Big Dog
03-13-2007, 10:46 AM
Dog,
Your friend,
Beaver
Dear Beaver,
Thank you so much for the thank you of my thank you!!!!
Dog

OCMerrill
03-13-2007, 04:48 PM
Thanks for this great thread!:D
Your the Best!

THATJEFFGUY
03-13-2007, 04:50 PM
I guess I should probably start getting my thank you cards out soon....I got married in 2000 :D

Kilrtoy
03-13-2007, 07:10 PM
Dear Beaver,
Thanks for making me laugh.
Sincerely,
Mrs. Rvrluvr :) :)
Beavers dont usually make me laugh, just put a big smile on my face with my tongue hanging out

Kim Hanson
03-13-2007, 07:19 PM
It is especially appropriate to send one after a wedding or baby gifts for the newborn. Some people just don't seem to have basic social skills these days.
I send cards to my daughters every couple days and text message daily with the added phone calls every couple days..example..got back to Canada and called one and it was shitty service and was cancelled..lost call..she called me back 3 times :rolleyes: Then the oldest found out and phoned 5 times cause she texted me last :rolleyes: Women for ya :D :D
Cards are an easy way to just say " I Love You " and it's fast with no can't connect shit.............( . )( . )..............:idea:

Boatcop
03-13-2007, 07:46 PM
Thank you so much for the beaver. It was a very thoughtful gift and I shall have lots of exciting moments shaving it.
Regards
BC
:D

Mandelon
03-13-2007, 07:48 PM
You know what makes a great gift.........a box of Thank You cards... LOL :D
I have a box in my desk at work and send them out as warranted, not daily, but a couple a month. It needs to be something exceptional though.

beaverretriever
03-13-2007, 07:48 PM
Thank you so much for the beaver. It was a very thoughtful gift and I shall have lots of exciting moments shaving it.
Regards
BC
The only beav I retrieve is already shaven...:D

98 Vector 21
03-13-2007, 07:53 PM
I said Thank You on the way out the door! what do you want? :)

beaverretriever
03-13-2007, 07:54 PM
I said Thank You on the way out the door! what do you want? :)
I told you, a damn card; and I don't want it 6 months from now either:devil:

MR.rvrluvr
03-13-2007, 08:05 PM
Regards
BC
I prefer to stuff the beaver myself:D :D

Ultrafied
03-13-2007, 09:28 PM
By half of the replies, it is apparent that normal social skills is getting to be a lost act of civility. A thank you card shows the same respect as giving the gift..... :D

lewiville
03-13-2007, 09:45 PM
I wanted to say thank you for reminding me that I have to send out "thank you" cards to my new clients. Thank you thank you

dicudmore
03-13-2007, 10:03 PM
John if I were in your position I'd be leaving a thank you card for the Mrs EVERY DAY :D

SHOTKALLIN
03-13-2007, 11:11 PM
We send thank you cards for my daughter's birthday parties even. It's proper etiquette. The peeps that don't are the same focks that dont RSVP when you invite them.

HighRoller
03-13-2007, 11:23 PM
Yeah. They're almost as obnoxious as people who get all hurt in the butt about not getting a thank you card. Did you forget that the wedding/birth/etc was not about YOU or your gift? Was being invited to a special event not enough for you?? You needed to be officially thanked for providing your presence to others? Were you expecting them to kiss your ring too?
Damn. Talk about arrogance....

Kilrtoy
03-13-2007, 11:32 PM
Yeah. They're almost as obnoxious as people who get all hurt in the butt about not getting a thank you card. Did you forget that the wedding/birth/etc was not about YOU or your gift? Was being invited to a special event not enough for you?? You needed to be officially thanked for providing your presence to others? Were you expecting them to kiss your ring too?
HE'S BACKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK:eek:

HighRoller
03-14-2007, 12:06 AM
Damn right. What's up KT? We'll be at Shasta in June. You want me to get you guys a spot? We could use another boat, another set of tig ol' bitties and some more kids to make the trip complete....

Ultrafied
03-14-2007, 05:09 AM
Wow, I thought attending was in respect of the invitation that was offered..... or maybe they just heard about the "special event" through the grapevine. I believe the point is about social etiquette (i.e. common sense in social gatherings), not about "being about you".... :D

beaverretriever
03-14-2007, 07:47 AM
Talk about being butt hurt. You are the same person that puts down men and their spouses just because they are good looking and like to share a photo or two on here. I will never forget the time you wrote "and no I won't be posting pictures of my wife, she has a clue when it comes to dignity and self respect". I'm sure we all know why you won't post a pic of your wife....LOL
This post has nothing to do with my self importance or my own arrogance. Do you think I really give a crap if I get a thank you card or not? The point of this thread was to show that many people have lost the need to express gratitude. I don't understand why people like you feel they don't have to give thanks for gifts or benefaction of any kind. That right there, shows the arrogance you speak of. You are too important, too busy and just too lazy to write a short note of acknowledgment.
BTW, Ultrafied couldn't have said it better.

Mrs. 20
03-14-2007, 08:07 AM
We always send Thank you cards. And our kids have sent them too for every birthday.

beaverretriever
03-14-2007, 07:21 PM
Damn right. What's up KT? We'll be at Shasta in June. You want me to get you guys a spot? We could use another boat, another set of tig ol' bitties and some more kids to make the trip complete....
I hope you are not serious? I don't know why anyone like Kilr or his wife would give you the time of day when all you do is talk shit about guys like him. You have no class.