PDA

View Full Version : Boat trailer question

That Guy
03-13-2007, 08:35 AM
Quick question for you guys...haven't had a thing done to my trailer (Zieman pulls our 25' Advantage). I don't think it even has 200 miles on it in the 2 1/2 years we have owned it. We keep the boat in Havi and it is only a 2 mile drive to the ramp. What type of service should I have done on it and where would you take it....We have added grease to the bearing buddy dealio but nothing else. Nothing leaking and no problems just want to do preventative maintenance. Thanks......:)

Havasu Hangin'
03-13-2007, 08:46 AM
If you're only driving a couple miles at a time, I doubt you'll get bearing problems.
I'd just make sure you put WD-40 in between the leafsprings, and on the brakes (if you have drums).

dirty old man
03-13-2007, 08:51 AM
The tires will rot before anything wears out

MR.rvrluvr
03-13-2007, 08:54 AM
If you're only driving a couple miles at a time, I doubt you'll get bearing problems.
I'd just make sure you put WD-40 in between the leafsprings, and on the brakes (if you have drums).
good advise
I drive mine around town about 2 times a year to get the tires warmed up a little and use the brakes. sounds stupid but I heard it does help on the long term effect. Also drive it around the block before storing it long term to make sure all the water is out of the rails and drum brakes (if applies) that way you can prevent rust. Just my .02

Baja Big Dog
03-13-2007, 09:10 AM
WD on the brakes?????:confused:

Havasu_Dreamin
03-13-2007, 09:10 AM
Aaron usually takes a look at our trailer when the boat is in the shop.....Don't quote me but I think it may even be part of their annual service deal.....

Havasu Hangin'
03-13-2007, 09:14 AM
The drum mechanisms can rust- don't put it on the pads or drums.

MR.rvrluvr
03-13-2007, 09:14 AM
springs, adjuster:)

OutCole'd
03-13-2007, 09:16 AM
Might want to change out the wiper blades also, you know how they get all old & cracked up.

That Guy
03-13-2007, 09:17 AM
The tires will rot before anything wears out
Very true....I had one go bad last summer....had all of 150 miles on it....:)

That Guy
03-13-2007, 09:52 AM
Aaron usually takes a look at our trailer when the boat is in the shop.....Don't quote me but I think it may even be part of their annual service deal.....
Hey Scott...I think you are right. I just didn't know if there was a more thorough process that needed to be done. Hadn't really worried about it since we tow the boat such a short distance.
I still want to see that new Howard...:D :D

River918
03-13-2007, 10:29 AM
Grab a bottle of Goose and a chair while Deinse lays on it in a bikini...That should be all I (oops, it) needs...Oh yeah, take alot of pictures...:D :D :D :D

dumbandyoung
03-13-2007, 10:56 AM
i spray silicone spray one the trailer wires to prevent cracking.

Havasu_Dreamin
03-13-2007, 12:21 PM
I still want to see that new Howard...:D :D
We'll be out this weekend.....should be on the water Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.....

Sun burners
03-13-2007, 01:24 PM
Anti-seize? on the lugs, and check the bunks next time the boat is off the trailer!

That Guy
03-13-2007, 01:29 PM
Grab a bottle of Goose and a chair while Deinse lays on it in a bikini...That should be all I (oops, it) needs...Oh yeah, take alot of pictures...:D :D :D :D
Already done....I'll show them to you this weekend.....:D :D

That Guy
03-13-2007, 01:30 PM
We'll be out this weekend.....should be on the water Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.....
Bad timing on our part....not out till the following weekend....:(

Havasu_Dreamin
03-13-2007, 01:31 PM
Bad timing on our part....not out till the following weekend....:(
No worries, there will be plenty of time this summer.....

That Guy
03-13-2007, 01:32 PM
No worries, there will be plenty of time this summer.....
Deal...:)

One Particular Harbor
03-13-2007, 01:34 PM
Was just looking at my last bill from Absolute for annual servicing and it included a line item for servicing and lubing the trailer.
My trailer, too, doesn't see a lot of time on the road and I keep a constant eye on the tires (lots of time sitting under the full weight of the boat). I did have to replace the valve stems (rubber) on the tires last season because one had rotted out and the rest were ready to go. Something to take a look at.
OPH

That Guy
03-13-2007, 01:48 PM
Was just looking at my last bill from Absolute for annual servicing and it included a line item for servicing and lubing the trailer.
My trailer, too, doesn't see a lot of time on the road and I keep a constant eye on the tires (lots of time sitting under the full weight of the boat). I did have to replace the valve stems (rubber) on the tires last season because one had rotted out and the rest were ready to go. Something to take a look at.
OPH
Thanks...nice looking boat in your avitar