Congrats, what did you get?

Biglue
03-13-2007, 10:02 AM
A new lap top. :D

yopengo
03-13-2007, 10:05 AM
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=26353&stc=1&d=1173809208
:D

DILLIGAF
03-13-2007, 10:06 AM
Well...the technical mumbo jumbo is:
Dell Inspiron 9400, Intel Core 2, 17" screen, 4MB/2GHz, 2GB, DDR2, 256MB Mobility, 160GB 5400RMP SATA Hard Drive, Windows Vista, Wireless
and a bunch of other shiznit :)

DILLIGAF
03-13-2007, 10:07 AM
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=26353&stc=1&d=1173809208
:D
Ahhhh, a much simpler time in all of our lives :)

djunkie
03-13-2007, 10:09 AM
Dell Inspiron 9400, Intel Core 2, 17" screen, 4MB/2GHz, 2GB, DDR2, 256MB Mobility, 160GB 5400RMP SATA Hard Drive, Windows Vista, Wireless
Let me know what you think of it cause I may be ordering the same thing from Dell here soon. My desktop computer is ready to die!!!!!!!

DILLIGAF
03-13-2007, 10:11 AM
Let me know what you think of it cause I may be ordering the same thing from Dell here soon. My desktop computer is ready to die!!!!!!!
Will do. My computer guy will be trying to retrieve all of my pics/music from my desk top that took a dump on me. He is pretty sure he can save all of that for me.

Jyruiz
03-13-2007, 10:11 AM
With a screen that big, you might as well gotten a desktop.:D I like easy portability, so I stick to the 14" screens. Guess I am tired of carrying them since I have been doing it because of my job since 1996. Good luck and enjoy.

DILLIGAF
03-13-2007, 10:13 AM
With a screen that big, you might as well gotten a desktop.:D I like easy portability, so I stick to the 14" screens. Guess I am tired of carrying them since I have been doing it because of my job since 1996. Good luck and enjoy.
I am old Juan so I need the big screen :)

DILLIGAF
03-13-2007, 10:16 AM
Just opened the box up. That is one big ass display for a lap top :)

Jyruiz
03-13-2007, 10:17 AM
I am currently evaluating a Dell D620 and D820 for our company, we might be moving away from IBM. I like the D620 because it is smaller and lighter and seems like a pretty stout laptop for the size. The D820 is just to big, our sales guys will hate carrying it. I really miss the Fujitsus we use to carry, they have nice light laptops and hardly ever broke down, must have been because they are made in Japan.

dmontzsta
03-13-2007, 10:36 AM
Congrats Thomas, that sounds like it is very capable of getting the job done. :)
Jy, I would suggest getting a MacBook, I just bought one and love it. I am not a Mac fan at all and I run Windows XP 90% of the time on it, but it is nice to be able to switch to the Mac OS when you need to do something, it is like the best of both worlds. Plus you have the built in web cam/camera, mic, wireless bluetooth, wireless networking, damn thing has it all.

djunkie
03-13-2007, 10:47 AM
I'll probably get the smaller screen since I'm gonna use a docking station at home home and use my current monitor. Laptop will be nice though since I can take it with me. Never owned one so hopefully it will perform as good as a desktop.

dumbandyoung
03-13-2007, 10:48 AM
let me know how you like it, i was thinking of getting another one and giving the one i have to my brother. Its only a year old, i just want something new. I was thinking of going mac.

Jyruiz
03-13-2007, 10:48 AM
Congrats Thomas, that sounds like it is very capable of getting the job done. :)
Jy, I would suggest getting a MacBook, I just bought one and love it. I am not a Mac fan at all and I run Windows XP 90% of the time on it, but it is nice to be able to switch to the Mac OS when you need to do something, it is like the best of both worlds. Plus you have the built in web cam/camera, mic, wireless bluetooth, wireless networking, damn thing has it all.
Macs are nice, but not for our environment.

Jyruiz
03-13-2007, 10:53 AM
I'll probably get the smaller screen since I'm gonna use a docking station at home home and use my current monitor. Laptop will be nice though since I can take it with me. Never owned one so hopefully it will perform as good as a desktop.
Laptops are nice, specially how you are going to set it up, can't go wrong that way. We have 3 laptops at home and one desktop, the desktop never gets used, and it is more powerful than the laptops.

LAND_LOVER69
03-13-2007, 10:53 AM
That's funny! I just bought the same thing and should be here today or tomorrow! :)

Sleek-Jet
03-13-2007, 10:54 AM
I really miss the Fujitsus we use to carry, they have nice light laptops and hardly ever broke down, must have been because they are made in Japan.
I know I like mine... :D

HBjet
03-13-2007, 11:03 AM
Nobody like HP?
I bought an HP last August and compared to the Dells I have seen, it is a much nicer piece. I have the 15.4" wide screen, dual core, 2GB ram, yada yada yada... but with XP Media Edition. Use it almost everyday.
If you want to be a baller though, Panasonic toughbook is the way to go. We have them for work. Business rugged and we have a few Military spec ones that you can pour water on and let them drop off the table. No problems! The only draw back with a mil spec one is no CD/DVD drive. Only external.
HBjet

Jyruiz
03-13-2007, 11:08 AM
Nobody like HP?
I bought an HP last August and compared to the Dells I have seen, it is a much nicer piece. I have the 15.4" wide screen, dual core, 2GB ram, yada yada yada... but with XP Media Edition. Use it almost everyday.
If you want to be a baller though, Panasonic toughbook is the way to go. We have them for work. Business rugged and we have a few Military spec ones that you can pour water on and let them drop off the table. No problems! The only draw back with a mil spec one is no CD/DVD drive. Only external.
HBjet
I wish we could go with the Toughbook, the sales guys here don't take care of their laptops at all.

dumbandyoung
03-13-2007, 11:11 AM
Nobody like HP?
HBjet
I have the gateway version of what you have. but with the widescreen

dmontzsta
03-13-2007, 11:43 AM
Macs are nice, but not for our environment.
Just run windows on it all the time. :) That is what I do.

DILLIGAF
03-13-2007, 11:47 AM
That's funny! I just bought the same thing and should be here today or tomorrow! :)
Great minds and Laker dislike seem to go together :)

Trailer Park Casanova
03-13-2007, 11:47 AM
MacBook family here.
Da way to go.

lalhc
03-13-2007, 11:54 AM
I have a Dell Inspiron w/the 17" screen and my partner rags the heck out of me for having such a large laptop. It's a great laptop.

DILLIGAF
03-13-2007, 11:55 AM
I have a Dell Inspiron w/the 17" screen and my partner rags the heck out of me for having such a large laptop. It's a great laptop.
He is just mad because he has a little one....lol

HBjet
03-13-2007, 11:56 AM
I have the gateway version of what you have. but with the widescreen
15.4" widescreen here too... love it.
HBjet

HBjet
03-13-2007, 11:58 AM
Just tell him compared to the Acer Aspire 9800 20in Notebook, 17" is nothing.
20.1" actually
http://www.trustedreviews.com/images/article/inline/2999-1.jpg
HBjet

lalhc
03-13-2007, 12:15 PM
He is just mad because he has a little one....lol
lmfao :D
The only problem w/the laptop is that it is not convenient when traveling.

My Man's Sportin' Wood
03-13-2007, 12:18 PM
I love laptops. I got a new one for Christmas and my dear daughter spilled water on the keyboard from a nearby flower vase. It's been in the shop for 3 weeks :mad: That reminds me I need to call them today and find out what the heck is up.
Congrats on the new toy. :D

HBjet
03-13-2007, 01:47 PM
For those of you who didn't know, most computers from brands like Dell, HP, Acer, Mac, etc. are manufactured by the same companies and those companies are all pretty much located all in the same place, like a how car dealerships and furniture stores are. Here is a little list of the companies who make computers and who they make them for. I grabbed this from a Panasonic presentation for selling Panasonic laptops. Still interesting.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/Computers.jpg
HBjet

One Particular Harbor
03-13-2007, 02:59 PM
I am currently evaluating a Dell D620 and D820 for our company, we might be moving away from IBM. I like the D620 because it is smaller and lighter and seems like a pretty stout laptop for the size. The D820 is just to big, our sales guys will hate carrying it. I really miss the Fujitsus we use to carry, they have nice light laptops and hardly ever broke down, must have been because they are made in Japan.
I have been using the Latitude 600 series of laptops for roughly six years now (610s and 620s) and actually cannot say enough good things about them. Before that, I was in IT consulting, and ran the T-series IBM laptop, which really is a great laptop (or, at least, used to be). I thought the Dell's would be a step down from the IBMs, but have been very pleasantly surprised by their performance, durability, and overall bang for the buck.
By the way, the 620 is about as large as I would go for someone who travels regularly. The 820 really is a very large laptop and is unwieldy for frequent travelers.
Good luck in your selection.
OPH

shueman
03-13-2007, 03:07 PM
MacBook family here.
Da way to go.
Almost did that....dammit....it runs all the Win XP apps as well.
Went with a Tosh Satellite from Office Depot, config'd much like Tom's, for a good price... :cool:
The Vista seems OK, but is native to the hardware. Already some of my legacy apps are not compliant....oh well.
Trial version of Office 2007 is jacked....changed all the menus....

INSman
03-13-2007, 03:22 PM
Should have gone with an Apple MacBook Pro :hammer2:

DILLIGAF
03-13-2007, 03:41 PM
Nice system. I have the same laptop and have no complaints.
I guess I'm no baller though, I thought 1 gig of ram and an 80gig drive was good. ;)
How do you like Vista?
Forensic
I haven't used it yet. Just opened it up to check it out. It is now in the hands of a computer guru to transfer all my files and so forth from my old desktop.
I have a lot of music and photos so I made sure to upgrade it based on that. My computer guy told me I needed a minimum of 100Gig so I just added up to the 160. I would have added even more but it would have delayed delivery.

HBjet
03-13-2007, 05:15 PM
I haven't used it yet. Just opened it up to check it out. It is now in the hands of a computer guru to transfer all my files and so forth from my old desktop.
I have a lot of music and photos so I made sure to upgrade it based on that. My computer guy told me I needed a minimum of 100Gig so I just added up to the 160. I would have added even more but it would have delayed delivery.
You might want to invest in an external hard drive to store all of those files. I wouldn't max out your laptop's drive if you do not have to. I use my desktop as a storage computer now and I backup all of the songs I download and photos I take to that computer. There is a cool program that lets me access those files from anywhere as long as the desktop is turned on. It's pretty cool.
Good Luck with the new computer!
HBjet

DILLIGAF
03-13-2007, 06:05 PM
You might want to invest in an external hard drive to store all of those files. I wouldn't max out your laptop's drive if you do not have to. I use my desktop as a storage computer now and I backup all of the songs I download and photos I take to that computer. There is a cool program that lets me access those files from anywhere as long as the desktop is turned on. It's pretty cool.
Good Luck with the new computer!
HBjet
Good advice. My computer guy is taking care of that for me and I will have an external drive for storage/back up. I can't wait till he is done as I need to get some new music and so forth.

HBjet
03-13-2007, 06:44 PM
Do you use itunes for your music downloads? If so I know there have been some problems with itunes on Vista. I haven't looked to see if there is a fix yet. So you might want to check into that before installing itunes.
HBjet

DILLIGAF
03-13-2007, 06:51 PM
Do you use itunes for your music downloads? If so I know there have been some problems with itunes on Vista. I haven't looked to see if there is a fix yet. So you might want to check into that before installing itunes.
HBjet
DAMN! Yes, I do but I am sure he will let me know of any/all problems. I want it to work just like it did before :(

EAZYKILLER2006
03-13-2007, 07:07 PM
Just tell him compared to the Acer Aspire 9800 20in Notebook, 17" is nothing.
20.1" actually
http://www.trustedreviews.com/images/article/inline/2999-1.jpg
HBjet
i have the acer aspire 5580 ...now lay down on your back... and use the laptop as a weight, on your stomach...doing half situps, when you post:idea: ...see if ya dont f up a few posts:) ...i dont want anything heavier than the one i have...its a great way to work out the abs... and have fun:D checking out all this shait up on the boards:devil: yea about 2 hrs every night, will whip ya into shape...:devil:

HBjet
03-13-2007, 07:40 PM
DAMN! Yes, I do but I am sure he will let me know of any/all problems. I want it to work just like it did before :(
Just make sure your guy checks this out
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=305042
I am waiting for a while. We have Vista here at work... its neat. But I will wait to install on my personal pc.
HBjet

DILLIGAF
03-13-2007, 08:37 PM
Just make sure your guy checks this out
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=305042
I am waiting for a while. We have Vista here at work... its neat. But I will wait to install on my personal pc.
HBjet
Thanks Randy. I will make sure to send the link to him.

ROZ
03-13-2007, 08:47 PM
Now you can be like mandelon posting from all over town...and shit :D