PDA

View Full Version : opinions on home surround sounds

Hotcobra270
03-13-2007, 10:44 AM
Looking to get a good surround sound for my living room. I'm looking for something under 1K and the rear speaker must be wireless (hate wires). Must have good Bass and be clear at high volume.
What do you guys suggest? I like the bose systems but they just seem a bit pricey for the Cash.. Let me know if youre running a good system.
thanks

Chromegorilla
03-13-2007, 10:48 AM
Good luck on the wireless deal.... I have yet to hear one thats even half way decent. And you know they aren't truly wireless. You will still have speaker wire that will run between the rear "power module/reciever" (thats plugged into the wall) and both the left and right rear speaker. So there will be speaker wire going to each rear speaker.

shippingguy
03-13-2007, 10:51 AM
I really like all the BOSE stuff. It is simple to run and hookup. The DVD/CD/Stereo/Surround Receiver is all one slim line unit and the bass and the high volume is absolutely crystal clear. Just my .02

Nord
03-13-2007, 10:52 AM
Good luck on the wireless deal.... I have yet to hear one thats even half way decent. And you know they aren't truly wireless. You will still have speaker wire that will run between the rear "power module/reciever" (thats plugged into the wall) and both the left and right rear speaker. So there will be speaker wire going to each rear speaker.
I too have not found a wireless set that is good. If it is made, then it definately will be over a grand.

Chromegorilla
03-13-2007, 10:59 AM
I really like all the BOSE stuff. It is simple to run and hookup. The DVD/CD/Stereo/Surround Receiver is all one slim line unit and the bass and the high volume is absolutely crystal clear. Just my .02
I know alot of people that like Bose... but save your money...
Wayyyyyyyyyy overpriced for what you get. just do a little research.(ie anything not written by BOSE) and you'll see....

shippingguy
03-13-2007, 11:01 AM
Wayyyyyyyyyy overpriced for what you get. just do a little research.(ie anything not written by BOSE) and you'll see....
Oh definitely pricey, but too late. I have had it for years and actually at the time it was not that expensive. Now at the river house I have something different.

Jyruiz
03-13-2007, 11:02 AM
Amen!

dumbandyoung
03-13-2007, 11:05 AM
i have the bose. Its a comes with 5 speakers(2 rear, one middle, 2 front) and a subwoofer. sounds pretty good. I cant remember how much i paid for it, i think les than 500...sounds great though!

Cole Trickle
03-13-2007, 11:15 AM
I think I spent $1000 in wire;):mad: :idea:

HM
03-13-2007, 11:19 AM
If you like Bose, don't call them direct. My buddy is the exclusive Bose installer for CA, AZ, and NV. When you call them direct, they charge and arm and a leg for installation, and then they keep half of the installation fee and pay the other half to the intallers.
My buddy can get you wholesale direct pricing (well, he marks it up, but it is cheaper than retail) and will do the installation with everything for way cheaper than if you called Bose.
PM me if you are interested.

Jyruiz
03-13-2007, 11:34 AM
I think I spent $1000 in wire;):mad: :idea:
Thats cause you are a BALLER.

boatnam2
03-13-2007, 11:34 AM
we had a guy install our system for 1600 5 lr speakers 2 pool room and 2 outside not wireless but it might as well be cant see no wires.it cranks pretty good came with a yamaha reciever and a thunder or something like that subwoofer.

91nordic29
03-13-2007, 11:38 AM
Klipsch:D

Cole Trickle
03-13-2007, 11:53 AM
Thats cause you are a BALLER.
I was joking I think I only spen't $400.00 in wire;):D
I have a JVC home theatre in a box that rocks my bedroom room pretty good.
I still have some Bostons for the backyard that i have to wire up but there is no great way to get the wire under the patio cover:mad: :) :idea:

H20 Toie
03-13-2007, 12:22 PM
No highs No lows it must be Bose :)
They sound alright unless you compare with other systems out there

Jyruiz
03-13-2007, 12:37 PM
I was joking I think I only spen't $400.00 in wire;):D
I have a JVC home theatre in a box that rocks my bedroom room pretty good.
I still have some Bostons for the backyard that i have to wire up but there is no great way to get the wire under the patio cover:mad: :) :idea:
You are just not trying hard enough.:D

Cole Trickle
03-13-2007, 12:52 PM
You are just not trying hard enough.:D+
There is a 3' gap between the attic space and the patio cover with no ability to get down the outside wall. It's pretty much gonna suck and I don't like being able to see wires.
These wireless speakers sound like a good idea:idea:
What size batteries do they take;):D

shueman
03-13-2007, 12:58 PM
Wireless sucks....tried two different scenarios....finally ran the wires inside the crown molding and baseboards...:)

Jyruiz
03-13-2007, 01:20 PM
+
There is a 3' gap between the attic space and the patio cover with no ability to get down the outside wall. It's pretty much gonna suck and I don't like being able to see wires.
These wireless speakers sound like a good idea:idea:
What size batteries do they take;):D
Damn, you are F'd.

Beer-30
03-13-2007, 01:31 PM
I don't think there are any wireless speakers made that you will be remotely happy with (no pun intended).
Wire the house as nature intended. With wireless you will cuss at it every time the phone rings (bleed-over), or you have a cell phone near them.
Bose is fine if you are not an audiophile and you live in an apartment. There is simply no way that one driver can reproduce the full spectrum of audio (each Bose cube has one driver only).
Slow down and pick things right. Once they're installed, you had better be happy with them, or you are spending double to buy another system. Lots of peeps on here have the full spectrum, so you should hear back on entry-level to top-of-the-line.
I am a bit of an audiophile, so I have to have things sound good and reproduce what I listen to with clarity. This is fairly hard to accomplish with in-wall speakers. I auditioned speakers with an assortment of CD tracks and DVD movie sections that I listen to / watch alot.
I narrowed my search down to Klipsch (previously mentioned) and Paradigm. I am sure there are others that are in the same arena (BA, MBQ, etc). For MY ears, the Klipsch in-walls blew away the BA and MBs that were right next to them. The Paradigms were the last ones listened to, and they were every bit as clear and loud as the Klipsch - for a little less money. All were paintable, so they were all equal in that category.
So, I ended up with 2-pairs of Paradigm AMS-250 in-walls (for Fronts and Rears) and the timbre-matched CC-370 center. One could easily get away with running an additional AMS-250 for the center, instead of the CC-370, if it had to be 100% in-wall.
The AMS-250s were $450/pr. I think the 370 was like $229.
A 500 foot roll of Monster 14ga in-wall THX speaker wire was $270 delivered.
Misc. tools, a hand drywall saw and a fish-tape, $100.
A HarmanKardon AVR525 receiver (was $599 at Costco), handles all the decoding I need and is a 7-channel unit. The other two channels are for the patio, and can be playing the same or different input as the living room. It's like two receivers in one. I put a pair of Paradigm outdoors out there.
I already had my sub, so I would only throw in that $550-900 will get you a good entry-level sub.
So, without pricing the sub or the outdoor speakers, I was around $2099 for equipment.
Here is a picture (obviously from Xmas) that shows the left-rear surround AMS-250. It is painted to match, but it shows lighter since the insides of the holes on the grill are still white.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2433IMG_2904.JPG

Jyruiz
03-13-2007, 01:56 PM
Go out and listen to as many speakers as you can, we all don't have the same ears so no way we can tell you what is going to sound best for that budget. For example, I like Klipsch for about 1/2 and hour, after that the brightness of the horn tweeters start to fatigue my ears and I have to stop listening to them.
In your budget though, you are looking at small bookshelf speakers, maybe something from like BIC, inexpensive but sound good for the money, better than Bose.

Hotcobra270
03-13-2007, 02:58 PM
thanks for the info.. wireless is out the window

Caljamr
03-13-2007, 03:07 PM
Klipsch:D
I went to my dad's house last weekend to help install a complete surround sound system by Klipsch and i have to say it's better than the Bose he replaced.

ROZ
03-13-2007, 09:15 PM
I route a channel :D