PDA

View Full Version : Hey ***boat Geek Squad.......Computer Question.

FryJet
03-14-2007, 05:54 PM
I figure there are a few hundred rocket scientist types on here so...........I have a SATA h/d in my pc right now. My brothers P/C crashed so he bought a new rig and sent me his old h/d to see if I can retrieve any of his his files. Question is the hook up. Since my SATA drive is on its own cable set as master and this drive will be on its own IDE ribbon not shared with any other drive do I still set it as the slave? And just for the peanut gallery, just because I used the terms "master" and "slave" does not necessarily mean i'm a member of the clan.
F.J.

Wheeler
03-14-2007, 06:00 PM
And just for the peanut gallery, just because I used the terms "master" and "slave" does not necessarily mean i'm a member of the clan.
F.J.
You say, "does not necessarily mean I'm a member of the clan"
What exactly, do you mean?

FryJet
03-14-2007, 06:03 PM
You say, "does not necessarily mean I'm a member of the clan"
What exactly, do you mean?
Oh fock, here we go. Do I really need to edit it?
F.J.

CARLSON-JET
03-15-2007, 03:15 PM
Did you ever figure this out? A USB encloser might be the ticket or a pci adapter card. Do you know what MOBO you have. I'm not really understanding what setup you have.

Ryphraph
03-15-2007, 03:30 PM
Set it to master, unplug your CD ROM and plug the new HDD where the CD was (or use your empty channel). Start the computer...
Ryph

78Eliminator
03-15-2007, 03:32 PM
Set it to master, unplug your CD ROM and plug the new HDD where the CD was (or use your empty channel). Start the computer...
Ryph
What he said. You could also set it CS or pull out the jumper completely and that would probably work.

robk
03-15-2007, 03:43 PM
With most modern drives, you don't even need the jumper installed, but if in doubt set it to master. As long as it's on its own channel (not sharing the IDE cable with the CDROM) it won't affect the SATA drive.
Rob

FryJet
03-15-2007, 05:10 PM
Did you ever figure this out? A USB encloser might be the ticket or a pci adapter card. Do you know what MOBO you have. I'm not really understanding what setup you have.
The Mobo is a ASUS P4C800E-Deluxe. I can run SATA or IDE and I still have a empty IDE channel so I figured I could just hook it up to that channel and the PC would pick it up as just another storage drive and still boot off the SATA. Am I right? Im going to dick with it on Sunday.
F.J.

bigq
03-15-2007, 06:02 PM
The Mobo is a ASUS P4C800E-Deluxe. I can run SATA or IDE and I still have a empty IDE channel so I figured I could just hook it up to that channel and the PC would pick it up as just another storage drive and still boot off the SATA. Am I right? Im going to dick with it on Sunday.
F.J.
yes
to double CMOS on boot to make sure IDE channels are enabled. I have the same board in an SE and run both also.