PDA

View Full Version : Shade Covers in Lake Havasu

H20Advantage
03-15-2007, 06:26 AM
Anyone else having issues with the city on these? I know I am right now. Mine has been up for several years and now some guy who was pissed about his not meeting city requirements turned in over 300 of them.
Unfortunately the older homes out there were not built with boat deep garages so this is some peoples only resource to protect their assets.
I'm not saying that violating city code is right but there seems to be some need for adjustments to their ordanance.
Here is the attached article in todays Havasu News Herald:
http://www.havasunews.com/articles/2007/03/15/news/news02.prt

Havasu_Dreamin
03-15-2007, 06:54 AM
Read that this morning and was wondering how your situation with that was going. seems the City needs to figure out some way to let the current homeowners who have them keep them. Be different if it didn't get to over 100 out there for 4-5 months of the year.
The person that turned in the 300 names better hope no one finds out his name because I'm certain there are many pissed people that might want to tell him a thing or 5.....

H20Advantage
03-15-2007, 06:59 AM
Read that this morning and was wondering how your situation with that was going. seems the City needs to figure out some way to let the current homeowners who have them keep them. Be different if it didn't get to over 100 out there for 4-5 months of the year.
The person that turned in the 300 names better hope no one finds out his name because I'm certain there are many pissed people that might want to tell him a thing or 5.....
It will suck if this cannot be resolved and I have to end up spending a couple hundred extra bucks a month for indoor storage when I could have kept it on my own property.
I know all my neighbors are all ok with it. That should be somthing else they consider as well as it being in the backyars area. There is no fire hazard due to them being made of steel.

Jyruiz
03-15-2007, 07:10 AM
Man, that sucks.

v-drive
03-15-2007, 07:19 AM
Soooo, when did Havasu become a part of the OC.

Jyruiz
03-15-2007, 07:29 AM
Soooo, when did Havasu become a part of the OC.
No shit, I want it to put one up like the one in the article on the side of our house out there so we could leave a tow vehicle, guess that is not going to happen now.

Havasu_Dreamin
03-15-2007, 07:37 AM
No shit, I want it to put one up like the one in the article on the side of our house out there so we could leave a tow vehicle, guess that is not going to happen now.
You can still do it, you just need to get a building permit for it.....

Captain Dan
03-15-2007, 07:39 AM
You can still do it, you just need to get a building permit for it.....
And that'll mean you will have setback requirements that most Havi homes can't meet....

OnlyMoney
03-15-2007, 07:40 AM
Good luck with that Gent. Everyone here seems to agree that their should be some sort of leniance for the existing ones. Hope it goes well. Keep us updated. :)

H20Advantage
03-15-2007, 07:44 AM
As long as it is 5 feet from the property line and 10 feet from the house.
They have a packet at the City now. The guy working on these in planning was getting the engineering for the Panther Creek shade covers sold at home depot so all you have to do as a home owner is fill out the application, draw a site plan and pay whatever fee they want.
Problem for me is I had a driveway slab poured and block wall put up that may not allow me to move mine if they require it. Nobody told me the structure had to be permitted. It is only held down by straps and could be moved easily if need be. But the way I have it anchored a gale force wind could come through and that bay would harldy move.

Hardly Satisfied
03-15-2007, 07:44 AM
If it's not one thing it's another

2Driver
03-15-2007, 08:27 AM
5-10% of the homes in town look like crap IMO. GO down almost any street and you see run a down house, no landscape, multiple vehicles and years of crap in the yards (and dont even get me started with the duplexes). Instead, the town officials screw with people on this stuff?

Baja Big Dog
03-15-2007, 09:07 AM
5-10% of the homes in town look like crap IMO. GO down almost any street and you see run a down house, no landscape, multiple vehicles and years of crap in the yards (and dont even get me started with the duplexes). Instead, the town officials screw with people on this stuff?
5-10%..Ill bet its higher than that!!! I love the color coordinate issue, what a bunch of crap...go after the junk yards, not the people that generate revenue money for the new "ORANGE COUNTY EAST".
Got a junk yard down the street, one with two boats (vintage 1970) that haven't sen water nor will they ever wee water and three junk cars, one of the neighbors complained, the city said that all the crap can be moved (they are on trailers (but the wind is definitely gone and the tires are flat)and they cant do anything about it.

bohica
03-15-2007, 11:34 AM
The guy in the photo lives across the street from me. His shade cover is behind the fence and doesn't look bad at all. Looks like the city is becoming the HOA for all of Havasu.:mad:

jammin
03-15-2007, 12:54 PM
I think you guys need to see both sides of this. I knew at least 2 years ago that there were rules regarding these covers and there are. Many people CHOOSE to ignore them or not research this properly prior to installing one. Now they want to have this accepted by others that either built permitted RV garages or properly permitted the awnings. Isn't this kinda like wanting the airport moved because of the noise when the airport was there before the houses!
You say what does it hurt? I paid more for our property to be in conformance and at best these awnings are less that attractive in our neighborhoods.
For those of you who bought houses with them all ready there you have a claim against the realtor or seller of your property for not properly disclosing that it was not permited with the city.
Some people spoil it for others like the one who said we had 2 and built a third one, come on, do YOU want to live next to this?

H20Advantage
03-15-2007, 01:54 PM
I think you guys need to see both sides of this. I knew at least 2 years ago that there were rules regarding these covers and there are. Many people CHOOSE to ignore them or not research this properly prior to installing one. Now they want to have this accepted by others that either built permitted RV garages or properly permitted the awnings. Isn't this kinda like wanting the airport moved because of the noise when the airport was there before the houses!
You say what does it hurt? I paid more for our property to be in conformance and at best these awnings are less that attractive in our neighborhoods.
For those of you who bought houses with them all ready there you have a claim against the realtor or seller of your property for not properly disclosing that it was not permited with the city.
Some people spoil it for others like the one who said we had 2 and built a third one, come on, do YOU want to live next to this?
Well mine has been up for almost five years and no I did not check permitting issues but it is not a permanent structure it is only semi permanent.
I also spoke with my neighbors before building it and none have a problem with it. The neighbor it affects the most also gained more privacy from the deal as did we.
Have you replaced a water heater or dishwasher since you have been in your home? Did you know that also has to be permitted?
There are lots of rules out there that are not widely advertised. So now alot of people are being victimized because 1 guy got in trouble for somthing that was probably truly and eyesore and possibly dangerous.
I am not saying I or the others are in the right but the city has allowed something to go on for a long period of time (years) and now are enforcing the rules only because one person is making a stink.

CityGuy
03-15-2007, 03:31 PM
I am not saying I or the others are in the right but the city has allowed something to go on for a long period of time (years) and now are enforcing the rules only because one person is making a stink.
Some years ago, Lake Havasu City had code enforcement officers that operated under a pro-active approach, wherein officers could write up any code violation they came across. And they did. A number of citizens at the time felt the active enforcement was overbearing and convinced the city manager to enact a policy to have code enforcement officers only respond when there is a complaint. Under that policy, and the fact that building codes are mostly life-safety issues, our code enforcement officers must respond to every complaint, and the fact that one person filed multiple complaints does not relieve the city of the responsibility to respond.
You would get the same consideration if the complaint were yours.
If you feel that the development code within the city is too restrictive, I suggest you take a look at the character of many neighborhoods outside the city limits (of any city) where zoning is ignored and little code enforcement takes place. You may get an indication of why these codes are in place and why they are being enforced.
Charlie

jammin
03-15-2007, 07:14 PM
So you think we should move the airport!