PDA

View Full Version : Performance boat class

H20 Toie
02-02-2006, 09:25 PM
Tres Martin has a performance boat class that is in florida. Since he has raced all kinds of boats for over 20 yrs and has won a lot of races and championships he seems like a guy who would know a lot about boats.
He did a class in Huntington Beach this week so i signed up, I have been boating my whole life but what the heck maybe i could learn something.
Boy did i, in just one day of classroom the amount of things he goes over is impressive. Anyone who has a twin step or cat should seriously consider taking the class. i had no idea how much difference there is between the regular v bottom and ts or cat.
We went out today in Long Beach in a 47' Outerlimits which was way cool (it made my Cigarette look like a dingy)
If he can get 4 people together he will do another class out here.
Just the saftey part is worth the class but he spends a lot of time explaining how to set up your boat for both performance and saftey and yes i was doing things wrong i can't wait to try out what i learned.
Also depending on your insurance you can get a discount after taking the class.

BADASS38CHEVY
02-02-2006, 09:49 PM
How much was the classes.

INSman
02-02-2006, 10:15 PM
What were you doing wrong so I can keep this in mind next time I'm in your boat ??? :D

H20 Toie
02-02-2006, 10:25 PM
How much was the classes.
$2500.

H20 Toie
02-02-2006, 10:27 PM
What were you doing wrong so I can keep this in mind next time I'm in your boat ??? :D
The biggest thing was that i had the bow to high we would have a smoother ride with the bow down even though you think it will make you stuff the boat it won't.

maxwedge
02-03-2006, 12:28 AM
$2500.
Ouch! I've paid less for entire semesters of college tuition! But then again, we never took any field trips in a 47' Outerlimits either. I'm guessing the gas bill on that puppy is kinda pricey. :)

H20 Toie
02-03-2006, 06:51 AM
Ouch! I've paid less for entire semesters of college tuition! But then again, we never took any field trips in a 47' Outerlimits either. I'm guessing the gas bill on that puppy is kinda pricey. :)
Well what is your life worth or your passengers, maybe you know everything there is to know about boating and what to look for from other boats as well as your own. but i did not and yes 2500 is a lot of money but compared to what the boat cost it isn't. and there are a lot of people out there that can afford to buy a boat that will do 80+ and not realize the dangers until it is to late. if you notice insurance is getting more and more expensive but worse there are getting to be fewer companys insuring boats what do you think will happen if you can't get insurance. right now it is almost impossible to get insurance for a boat that can go over 120mph.

INSman
02-03-2006, 07:09 AM
Who's Outerlimits were you using and how did that thing run ??!!?? :)

chub
02-03-2006, 07:10 AM
So the class is geared mainly to bigger cats and such?

H20 Toie
02-03-2006, 07:14 AM
So the class is geared mainly to bigger cats and such?
Cats and Twin Step boats no matter there size.

chub
02-03-2006, 07:18 AM
Cool, sounds like a very informative class. How did you find out about it and how can others participate?

LHC30Victory
02-03-2006, 07:43 AM
I'm in! I tried to get him to Havasu last year but it didn't work out too well.

INSman
02-03-2006, 08:11 AM
I'm in! I tried to get him to Havasu last year but it didn't work out too well.
Let's put it together Ted, I'm in with you :cool:

LHC30Victory
02-03-2006, 08:20 AM
Blane, Sounds good. Will you have that AT by then? Hows the SW moving? all the gremlins exorcised?

INSman
02-03-2006, 08:47 AM
Blane, Sounds good. Will you have that AT by then? Hows the SW moving? all the gremlins exorcised?
Luckily for me the AT will not fit in my garage, so I am SW for at least another year, although I am going to Miami in (2) weeks to see the new 33' AT at their factory. The SW is running VERY well right now, and Brian is going to throw on some 2" shortie lowers next week to see what else we get :cool:

H20 Toie
02-03-2006, 09:17 AM
Cool, sounds like a very informative class. How did you find out about it and how can others participate?
Here is his site.
http://www.performanceboatschool.com/about.php
For him to come to a location i believe you need 4 people (he will not do more than 4 at a time) Castaic would be a great lake except for the 35mph speed limit ( i wonder if you can get a waiver) and you have to have lifeline vests. there may be other things. he got a good response from people wanting to do it here on the west coast so he is going to try and set up more.

H20 Toie
02-03-2006, 09:18 AM
Luckily for me the AT will not fit in my garage, so I am SW for at least another year, although I am going to Miami in (2) weeks to see the new 33' AT at their factory. The SW is running VERY well right now, and Brian is going to throw on some 2" shortie lowers next week to see what else we get :cool:
What you didn't get the 35' cig?

Tres
02-06-2006, 05:08 PM
Here is his site.
http://www.performanceboatschool.com/about.php
For him to come to a location i believe you need 4 people (he will not do more than 4 at a time) Castaic would be a great lake except for the 35mph speed limit ( i wonder if you can get a waiver) and you have to have lifeline vests. there may be other things. he got a good response from people wanting to do it here on the west coast so he is going to try and set up more.
Thanks for the support! I will be getting back very soon to help others , H20 Toie thanks again and practice safe boating!If some of you can get together on another date I will try to get another class going out there!

OGShocker
02-06-2006, 05:11 PM
The biggest thing was that i had the bow to high we would have a smoother ride with the bow down even though you think it will make you stuff the boat it won't.
Thank you for the tip.... and saving me the $2500.00.. :crossx: :D

Phat Matt
02-06-2006, 05:13 PM
$2500.
Unless my insurance company gives me a 110% discount it's going to take a while to get my money back. :)
I know that is not the point of the course and remember my birthday is coming up.

Tres
02-06-2006, 05:13 PM
I'm in! I tried to get him to Havasu last year but it didn't work out too well. I will go to Havasu.Just let me know well in advance, since we have many dates spoken for . :cool:

LHC30Victory
02-06-2006, 05:18 PM
I will go to Havasu.Just let me know well in advance, since we have many dates spoken for . :cool:
Just for the record, it was me who didn't follow up - not Tres!
Is 4 the class max? I will be happy to make the arrangements this time.....

Tres
02-06-2006, 05:45 PM
Just for the record, it was me who didn't follow up - not Tres!
Is 4 the class max? I will be happy to make the arrangements this time.....
4 is the max, or we have a 2nd class for more. Glad to help if you need it. You can reach me on my cell 352 266-1457 eastern time.

H20 Toie
02-07-2006, 09:06 AM
Since i got to use the boat this weekend i was real happy on the way i setup the boat compared to how i had before, the ride was much better,
Tres goes over how the boat should be driven as well as saftey since if you have more control you are safer.

Tres
02-07-2006, 03:48 PM
Since i got to use the boat this weekend i was real happy on the way i setup the boat compared to how i had before, the ride was much better,
Tres goes over how the boat should be driven as well as saftey since if you have more control you are safer.
Happy! Set up is everything! Keep on top of it! :)

Tres
02-13-2006, 06:31 AM
4 is the max, or we have a 2nd class for more. Glad to help if you need it. You can reach me on my cell 352 266-1457 eastern time.TTT

Tres
02-16-2006, 06:26 AM
Performance boat school in Austin Texas on Feb 26th and 27th ,,, One spot left!!!!!! www.performanceboatschool.com

Dusty Times
02-17-2006, 06:40 AM
I may be interested if there was a Lake Havasu class available.

Tres
02-19-2006, 06:16 AM
Oh there will be a Class there, dont you worry. But you may want to schedule a time when you may get to go since we have many bookings in advance.