PDA

View Full Version : my ford 6.0 update

riverroyal
03-22-2007, 08:37 PM
turbo went out again monday.I left the next day with a 07 crewcab 4x4 lariat diesel.Basically a straight swap.The dealer really stepped up:D

RiverRatMike
03-22-2007, 08:47 PM
what's up with all these diesel problems? Glad I don't have one!

Riverkid
03-22-2007, 08:48 PM
turbo went out again monday.I left the next day with a 07 crewcab 4x4 lariat diesel.Basically a straight swap.The dealer really stepped up:D
Thatta boy. Love those Lariats...
Get running boards? :D

caroftheweek
03-22-2007, 09:00 PM
Another Ford?!?!?!? :jawdrop: :jawdrop:
are you a gluten for punishment or what?:devil:

JB in so cal
03-23-2007, 04:37 AM
...almost got it right!:idea:

Liberator TJ1984
03-23-2007, 05:33 AM
what's up with all these diesel problems? Glad I don't have one!
No proof ,but I've been told by one of the Mech's at where I bought my '05 Ford 6.0 is that the "New Cleaner Diesel" fuel with super low Sulpher content is the cause. The sulpher in the fuel acts as a lubricant he said,lubing the turbo,inj.& pump...now it's dropped from what something like .5ppm to .005ppm in the last year or so ?very little lube quality...
Taking his advise from when the truck was new I have either added Lucas Fuel add. or 1 gal. hyd.oil to every tank when I fill up to add more lube to the fuel ,maybe I'm just lucky or he's right , 60k and not a hint of trouble, & yea it's chipped to 150hp+

Run_em_Hard
03-23-2007, 06:07 AM
No proof ,but I've been told by one of the Mech's at where I bought my '05 Ford 6.0 is that the "New Cleaner Diesel" fuel with super low Sulpher content is the cause. The sulpher in the fuel acts as a lubricant he said,lubing the turbo,inj.& pump...now it's dropped from what something like .5ppm to .005ppm in the last year or so ?very little lube quality...
Taking his advise from when the truck was new I have either added Lucas Fuel add. or 1 gal. hyd.oil to every tank when I fill up to add more lube to the fuel ,maybe I'm just lucky or he's right , 60k and not a hint of trouble, & yea it's chipped to 150hp+
The main thing that is false about this is that the 6.0 liter has been having problems long before the Low Sulfer came out...also how does the fuel lube the turbo;)
The new low sulfer can cause problems due to it not lubricating as well. For most people you will only see lower fuel milage but for some you will have problems. A good fuel additive is a definite help. I would not use Hyd. fluid. Right now adding two stroke oil is becoming very popular, especially stacked with a good additive. The main fact is that the 6.0 has had alot of problems and as we have see recently so has the 6.4:idea:

shadow
03-23-2007, 06:14 AM
The main thing that is false about this is that the 6.0 liter has been having problems long before the Low Sulfer came out...also how does the fuel lube the turbo;)
The new low sulfer can cause problems due to it not lubricating as well. For most people you will only see lower fuel milage but for some you will have problems. A good fuel additive is a definite help. I would not use Hyd. fluid. Right now adding two stroke oil is becoming very popular, especially stacked with a good additive. The main fact is that the 6.0 has had alot of problems and as we have see recently so has the 6.4:idea:
6.0 has had some problems,But compared to the amount of them out there they have been relatively low.Belive it or not.
So far i have only seen (1) 6.4 in our dealer with any problems. Oil leak,but then again i see all types of gas engines with oil leaks daily.
I don't care for the idea of the cab having to be removed for repairs on the 6.4 but other than that time will tell how well they do.
All new vehicles have recalls,TSB's & SSM's for one reason or another.

AZJD
03-23-2007, 07:20 AM
The fuel can lube the turbo because the turbo runs off of the exhaust. If they are lowering sulfer for emmissions, then they are reducing the amount expelled through your exhaust which runs through your turbo.............yada yada yada

Jordy
03-23-2007, 07:22 AM
The fuel can lube the turbo because the turbo runs off of the exhaust. If they are lowering sulfer for emmissions, then they are reducing the amount expelled through your exhaust which runs through your turbo.............yada yada yada
Come by my shop some time and I'll give you turbo 101. What goes though the exhaust side of your turbo has nothing to do with the bearings in the turbo cartridge that are lubed by engine oil, and if anything it needing lubing in the exhaust housing due to contact, you need a new turbo anyway. ;)
If your exhaust is lubing your turbo bearings, you've got some bigger problems. Dumbass (thanks again JBB ;) ) :D

Run_em_Hard
03-23-2007, 07:23 AM
Na...they are oil lubed.
And even if what you are saying is true than you would be seeing others fail than just Ford 6.0's:rolleyes:

AZJD
03-23-2007, 07:29 AM
Come by my shop some time and I'll give you turbo 101. What goes though the exhaust side of your turbo has nothing to do with the bearings in the turbo cartridge that are lubed by engine oil, and if anything it needing lubing in the exhaust housing due to contact, you need a new turbo anyway. ;)
If your exhaust is lubing your turbo bearings, you've got some bigger problems. Dumbass (thanks again JBB ;) ) :D
Maybe it's lubrication doesn't come from the fuel additives but this isn't the first time I have heard of the same problem based on the new fuel.
Don't you have some Heartless stalking to do Jordy?

Jordy
03-23-2007, 07:35 AM
Maybe it's lubrication doesn't come from the fuel additives but this isn't the first time I have heard of the same problem based on the new fuel.
Don't you have some Heartless stalking to do Jordy?
Yeah, the one guy who is a friend of someone I used to know back in college who had a cousin who said that the new fuel is really hard on the muffler bearings too!!! :jawdrop: :eek: :D
As far as stalking, I'm just trying to keep it lively around here now that the wheels fell off the RD/BNB train, no pun intended. :notam:

AZJD
03-23-2007, 07:39 AM
Yeah, the one guy who is a friend of someone I used to know back in college who had a cousin who said that the new fuel is really hard on the muffler bearings too!!! :jawdrop: :eek: :D
As far as stalking, I'm just trying to keep it lively around here now that the wheels fell off the RD/BNB train, no pun intended. :notam:
I just removed those useless muffler bearings. They were slowing me down. I gained 2-3mph and it only took me 30 minutes to do it!:eek: :devil:
P.S. I sold them to 460 after I painted them chrome and told him they would make his truck faster than yours!:D :D :D

Jordy
03-23-2007, 07:48 AM
P.S. I sold them to 460 after I painted them chrome and told him they would make his truck faster than yours!:D :D :D
Did you use the RACING Mexi-chrome, or just the regular??? :D :D :D

AZJD
03-23-2007, 07:50 AM
Did you use the RACING Mexi-chrome, or just the regular??? :D :D :D
Just regular................he's not full mexican, he'll never know the difference.:D
BTW thanks for lunch yesterday 460.:)

blown65
03-23-2007, 07:55 AM
We just got our 08 6.4 and so far its a great truck. Love the lack of turbo lag with those twins. Not many miles but I will say this, the F450 rides AWESOME. I cant believe they got it to ride so nice for such a heavy hauling truck.