PDA

View Full Version : 496 help

FloatTime
03-23-2007, 12:36 PM
I recently had a alarm go off at 3200 rpm, constant alarm and goes into gaurdian mode. Had the code read as low block pressure. A service tech changed the bad impeller and flushed the system and cleared the codes. That didn't fix the alarm problem. Still goes off at 3200 rpm and into gaurdian. Pulled the sensor on the power steering cooler, no gaurdian but 2 alarm beeps intermitintly. Could the sensor be bad or do i have other problems.

UnionJack
03-23-2007, 01:33 PM
poop poop should help out and answer some questions

ChumpChange
03-23-2007, 02:51 PM
I'm not sure if this is a Teague on Tech section but more of a Teague on "buy my engines" section.
UJ: What's up with the Poop Poop?

plaster dave
03-23-2007, 03:59 PM
I recently had a alarm go off at 3200 rpm, constant alarm and goes into gaurdian mode. Had the code read as low block pressure. A service tech changed the bad impeller and flushed the system and cleared the codes. That didn't fix the alarm problem. Still goes off at 3200 rpm and into gaurdian. Pulled the sensor on the power steering cooler, no gaurdian but 2 alarm beeps intermitintly. Could the sensor be bad or do i have other problems.
Check your impeller housing.

ToMorrow44
03-23-2007, 04:08 PM
Could be the impeller housing as stated above if the impeller has carved grooves into the housing it won't produce as much water pressure. Could also be the water pressure sensor in the block. I had a similar problem anytime the boat go beached sand got into the pick-up and went through the motor and screwed up that water press sensor.
-Tom

franky
03-23-2007, 04:32 PM
Could be the impeller housing as stated above if the impeller has carved grooves into the housing it won't produce as much water pressure. Could also be the water pressure sensor in the block. I had a similar problem anytime the boat go beached sand got into the pick-up and went through the motor and screwed up that water press sensor.
-Tom
496 has a closed loop cooling system. Lake (cooling) water only goes through heat exchanger, not motor.

ToMorrow44
03-24-2007, 10:14 AM
496 has a closed loop cooling system. Lake (cooling) water only goes through heat exchanger, not motor.
Good point I forgot about that thanks. I guess the only thing to check is the sensor.
-Tom

Buster
03-25-2007, 11:21 AM
I just went through this same thing. Ate an impeller at the begining of last summer, pulled the pump and just replaced the impeller. The inside of the pump had some grooves from the old impeller coming apart but I did not think much of it, get back out o the lake and anytime I was running above 3500 rpm I would get the beep beep. Cleaned all the choke points on the cooling systems and still no luck until I went back to the sea water pump and replaced it completely. Low and behold, no more beeping or problems. I would have never believed that was it, but it was..
Good luck..

ToMorrow44
03-25-2007, 03:09 PM
If by "low block pressure" it means low water pressure, then the water pressure sensor on the 496s is on the sea water pump housing and therefore could be caused by the housing being screwed up. The water press sensor in my motor is in the block so that's what I was referring to.
-Tom

JB in so cal
03-25-2007, 04:40 PM
Be sure to save the old pump housing. You can machine the brass ends and re-use it a spare.

FloatTime
03-26-2007, 05:50 AM
thanks for the info, I'll check all these out. Hopefully teague will respond?

shadow
03-26-2007, 05:54 AM
thanks for the info, I'll check all these out. Hopefully teague will respond?
Although i don't think this section is a Teague on tech question and answer
section.
But it would be nice to see Teague make an appearance
and atleast throw some spam out so we know this section really exsists.:D

Jyruiz
03-26-2007, 08:22 AM
I had the same problem, but the guardian beep came on at 2k rpms for me. I go the impeller changed and the housing resurfaced. I hope that does it because I have not been able to take the boat out since then.

UnionJack
03-26-2007, 11:57 AM
I'm not sure if this is a Teague on Tech section but more of a Teague on "buy my engines" section.
UJ: What's up with the Poop Poop?
an inside thing

plaster dave
03-26-2007, 12:18 PM
Isn’t it powerboat trials in parker this week?

RiverDave
03-29-2007, 10:03 AM
Isn’t it powerboat trials in parker this week?
No doubt.. LOL The Teague's outta town and these guys are already giving him a hard time.
RD

FastTimmy
05-18-2007, 08:09 AM
Who's This Bob Teague guy? :D

Not So Fast
05-21-2007, 04:34 PM
I had the same problem, but the guardian beep came on at 2k rpms for me. I go the impeller changed and the housing resurfaced. I hope that does it because I have not been able to take the boat out since then.
PM Juan as it is finally fixed, he will tell you about the problem but it took some serious searching :D NSF

UltraBigDaddy
12-07-2007, 03:55 PM
If by "low block pressure" it means low water pressure, then the water pressure sensor on the 496s is on the sea water pump housing and therefore could be caused by the housing being screwed up. The water press sensor in my motor is in the block so that's what I was referring to.
-Tom

ULTRA26 # 1
12-09-2007, 10:10 AM
I had a guardian mode problem with an intermittent safety kill switch.