PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions on locking up the boat trailer ON STREET PARKING

496mag
03-25-2007, 09:47 AM
Well I might end up parking the boat on the street but only if I can make it dang near impossible to steal.
Initial thoughts were parking boot, Kryptonite fahgettaboutit chains, disk locks on the pin holes for the swing tongue etc. Does anyone lese have ideas for locking up the trailer?

CARLSON-JET
03-25-2007, 10:00 AM
I would exhaust all other options before parking any boat I liked on the street. Besides theft there is vandalism. Kids on bikes. (accidents ect.) Somebody flicked a cig butt on my Dads Boat cover once and it about burned the boat up. It did wreck a $3-400 cover. It all depends on the circumstances of your neighbor situation though. I think an alarm would be your best bet though.

Quality Time
03-25-2007, 10:02 AM
If you are going to do it in CA, I believe it is a CVC violation. Anyone in law enforcement can correct me.

shadow
03-25-2007, 10:03 AM
Well I might end up parking the boat on the street but only if I can make it dang near impossible to steal.
Initial thoughts were parking boot, Kryptonite fahgettaboutit chains, disk locks on the pin holes for the swing tongue etc. Does anyone lese have ideas for locking up the trailer?
Beefy cable through the wheels and a tounge lock.
I'd be worried about someone stealing stuff out of the boat while parked on the street.Not to mention the boat being impouned for being parked unattached on the street.Not sure of the laws but i belive there are some that pertain to leaving boats,trailer,etc unattached.

shadow
03-25-2007, 10:04 AM
damm you guys are quick.:)

HatenWinter
03-25-2007, 10:04 AM
Don't do it!!! Find storage somewhere....

a catered life
03-25-2007, 12:10 PM
i believe your right when we bought our's it sat one night on the street and we got a ticket for it...the trailer has to be hooked up to a vechile:(

Parker Dreamin
03-25-2007, 12:23 PM
I had to have it parked in a driveway for a little bit and I used the OnGuard Akita 5038 through the wheels and made sure it went around the trailer as well. If you just do it through the wheel they can take the wheel off. Also used a tounge lock.

beyondhelpin
03-25-2007, 03:06 PM
Parked mine on the street when I lived in SD. I used my boat 2 to 3 times a week. Always getting my tires marked for movement. Boat must be moved every 72 hour (I think). Never got towed, used the boat to much for it to set 72 hours. I had a coupling lock on it. Never had any problems. The boat was a4 year old Scarab. Keep it covered and did not leave toys in it.
I lived on a seldom traveled street past the Costco in Claremont. The lack of traffic may have had something to do with the lack of problems from hoodlums. Besides, as many times as my tires got marked by the cops I felt like she had personal protection!:D :D :D
To be as safe as possible I probally would use coupling lock, alarm, stern lock, wheel lock, prop lock and cover. Probally be cheaper to put in storage.