PDA

View Full Version : Yellow gelcoat

Towndrunk
03-28-2007, 05:38 PM
It seems that yellow gel is on the endangered species list. The all wise government is now shutting down the pigment to mix yellow. JMF luck.
These corrupt bastards need to fall into a pit or volunteer for a duty in Iraq!!

YeLLowBoaT
03-28-2007, 05:43 PM
I heard about this at the paint store a couple weeks back... Yellow ( paint/gel and other coatings) always has crappy "hide" to it... with the new pigments they are going to be using I am sure its only going to get better...:rolleyes:

Towndrunk
03-28-2007, 11:14 PM
I heard about this at the paint store a couple weeks back... Yellow ( paint/gel and other coatings) always has crappy "hide" to it... with the new pigments they are going to be using I am sure its only going to get better...:rolleyes:
I wish they'd hurry up. I have a boat sanded and preped and ready to shoot!

YeLLowBoaT
03-29-2007, 12:53 AM
Just be glad you live in AZ and not CA... each county here has its own VOC rules...The products you can buy litterly changes from county to county...you know its bad when "normal" paint stores have to track the number of gallons of diffrent solvents and can only sell you so much a year( my county for example a cabinet shop is limited to 5 gal of lacquer thiner a year, a home owner on the other hand can buy as much as they want.)... yet the hardware store, plastic stores, automotive paint stores have diffrent rules... most can sell you as much as you want. Just paint stores can't, its like that for other solvents as well... you can actaully get them in stronger concentrations at HD or lowes then you can at the paint store...yeah, give the idoit that has no idea what he is doing the strong stuff :rolleyes: The professional has no idea what they are doing and may hurt themselfs...
I use to make a trip to reno every time I had a large oil base or any lacquer job. The fine use to be like 90 buck per container if you got cuaght, as of the middle of last year is over 9800 per container... does not matter if its a pint or a drum.
I also love how my county can sell lots of diffrent strippers and solvents, yet they won't take them at any county dumbs... you have to go to diffrent county to dumb them... which they charge you $$$$ since your from a diffrent county.
Don't even get me started on what coatings you can and can not apply to diffrent meterails...if you go in some where and tell them what your using it on, they can't sell it too you...
I love CA...

DUCKY
03-29-2007, 07:45 AM
As far as I know, I can get you the pigment, you'll just have to get neutral base from Sticky Stuff, and mix it yourself, or drive up here and get it. I called my supplier to verify, and I'm waiting for a call back. Give me a call if you have any questions

DUCKY
03-29-2007, 01:01 PM
Supplier called me back. No problem on yellow pigments. My opinion is that making your own yellow is the only way to get a good color anyway. I recommend a full pint of light chrome yellow pigment in a gallon of neutral base for a killer, bright yellow that isn't too transparent. Then in your final few coats, mix the yellow 50/50 with tx-2 clear for repairability, and uv protection. Give me a call if you need some.

Marty Gras
04-23-2007, 07:25 PM
You are getting this advise from a guy who worked at Fiberglass Reformations just a few years ago. While there he totally screwed up the gel coat on an old yellow boat. At THAT TIME he said, "it's really hard to match that old yellow color", but in fact he just was unable to do the job correctly at that time! YOU can take your chances, or you can go to other sources for help.

DaveA
04-23-2007, 09:50 PM
Veddy interrresting thread on the color yellow.
My old Raysoncraft was capped and is finished with Ram Chemical's High Hide Yellow gel. They've been sold a couple of times and are now part of Valspar I think, but the old guys are still there and remember that yellow well. The guy I talked to back in August said that High Hide Yellow was no longer available due to pigments (nasty stuff like cadmium, etc) not being available any more. I asked for the formula, but he said they got rid of it, too....which sounded screwy to me. If you mixed that stuff daily thru the Seventies and Eighties, I would think you'd have Some Recollection of the formula...but anyway...
Does anybody know the formula, or if it could be recreated today? I wanna shoot the cap stripe again to repair all the dock damage from years past, and don't really want to do it in automotive 2-stage.
Jump on in here George. I'm sure you remember this stuff.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/176HPIM1298.JPG

Towndrunk
04-30-2007, 09:29 AM
Supplier called me back. No problem on yellow pigments. My opinion is that making your own yellow is the only way to get a good color anyway. I recommend a full pint of light chrome yellow pigment in a gallon of neutral base for a killer, bright yellow that isn't too transparent. Then in your final few coats, mix the yellow 50/50 with tx-2 clear for repairability, and uv protection. Give me a call if you need some.
Thanks Ducky but I found a guy here in Phx that got me what I wanted. As far as Sticky stuff, no way. Too flaky for me. That woman that works there has too much pms also. I was impressed with Marvin at first but soon learned the error of my ways.

FOURQ
05-25-2007, 09:04 AM
You are getting this advise from a guy who worked at Fiberglass Reformations just a few years ago. While there he totally screwed up the gel coat on an old yellow boat. At THAT TIME he said, "it's really hard to match that old yellow color", but in fact he just was unable to do the job correctly at that time! YOU can take your chances, or you can go to other sources for help.
you my friend are a jerk off ... that has nothing to do with the subject..asshole just starting shit!!!

ratso
05-28-2007, 03:49 PM
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/3036DPowell3.JPG
We just started a yellow repair on a 21 Liberator. I can ask my gelcoat guy if he is tinting a yellow gel or if he is starting with a neutral. I haven't had any problems yet getting the tints.

ratso
05-28-2007, 03:52 PM
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/3036IMG_0994.JPG
I skipped the glassing pics, but here he is using the gelcoat putty to float it out. He doesn't do the exact match until he is ready to spray. I should have finished pics next week.;)

DUCKY
05-30-2007, 11:28 AM
The guy spraying your boat will probably use the commercially available yellow gel that was used to spray the boat, and may have to tint it slightly just to get it spot on. My suggestion for making your own was for doing a re-gel, since the commercially available stuff tends to be very transparent, and may contain small amounts of green or red pigment. The Valspar 5L-55 (Canary Yellow) for example has quite a bit of green in it, while the Composites One "40003" yellow has some red in it. Both are really nice colors, but you can make a brighter, less transparent color that is also easier to repair, by making it yourself.
The repaired area looks good, BTW. Should look nice when finished

ratso
06-01-2007, 02:02 PM
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/3036IMG_1013.JPG

ratso
06-01-2007, 02:04 PM
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/3036IMG_1014.JPG

ratso
06-01-2007, 02:05 PM
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/3036IMG_1015.JPG

ratso
06-01-2007, 02:08 PM
We're gonna tint it one more time and take it back to the cleat and up to the tip of the fork. The color is about where we want it now.;)