PDA

View Full Version : Rhino registration requirements in AZ

STV_Keith
03-29-2007, 08:54 AM
My boss has a Rhino and is moving to Kingman. Wondering what things need to be added to be able to register it for road use in AZ. Turn signals? Horn? Etc. Thanks.

Outnumbered
03-29-2007, 09:01 AM
My boss has a Rhino and is moving to Kingman. Wondering what things need to be added to be able to register it for road use in AZ. Turn signals? Horn? Etc. Thanks.
He needs to get an MC plate at the MVD (DMV). They will issue it with your promise to install the items but will not check. If you get pulled over and don't have the stuff on it you will get a ticket. He needs: lights, brake lights, rear view mirror, insurance for STREET use, and (the last two are debatable and can vary depending upon the LEO you talk to) a windshield and DOT tires. Most people do not do the last two and seem to be fine. Lots of people say that goggles will pass in lieu of a windshield but it depends on the LEO.

Outnumbered
03-29-2007, 09:05 AM
Oh, one more thing. If he is moving from out of state they will do a VIN inspection in which case it may be a good idea to have the street stuff on and ready to roll. If not he can first register it as an RV plate (off-road) and go back to convert to an MC plate the next day and they will only do the VIN inspection on the first trip. No inspection to convert to MC plate.

STV_Keith
03-29-2007, 11:04 AM
Great! Any suggestions on where to get the parts? Any companies offer an on-road kit or something? I think he has a windshield already, but that's it.

shadow
03-29-2007, 11:10 AM
Took mine to the Havasu MVD and they didn't even go outside to look at it.
Ness requirments are head lights,tail & brake lights,seat belts,(horn?)lighted lisence plate(night),windshield.
I don't use a windshield and have never been stopped and drive mine all over town.Althogh i had to sign a paper styating i was aware i needed a windshield.
They come stock pretty much street legal other than the windshield & lighted plate.Not being brand new they might want to inspect it,but if it is equipped properly should only be one visit to the motor vehicles.

eman1625
03-29-2007, 11:22 AM
Did mine through Sierra Title....all done through the mail. Very easy. their site tells you what you need.
http://www.sierra-title.com/toys.html

selfmade
03-29-2007, 11:34 AM
If the rhino is registered in another state other than arizona he needs to bring in the MSO. If he doesnt have it the dealer that he bought it from should have it. Also it has to be the original.

andy01
03-29-2007, 11:36 AM
I did mine in Parker last Friday, very painless process. They checked the numbers and that was it. I did also sign the form stating I had the equipment needed. Be sure to have title in hand, insurance card for street use (progressive) and that is it.
Andy

Outnumbered
03-29-2007, 12:28 PM
I forgot the horn.
And no MSO is required if you have a title and registration in another state. I brought 3 bikes from CA to AZ with no MSO. Just VIN inspections.

Rod-64
03-29-2007, 12:36 PM
Great! Any suggestions on where to get the parts? Any companies offer an on-road kit or something? I think he has a windshield already, but that's it.
I had my Honda Quad serviced at the dealer and I asked about the street legal deal and he said just to buy the parts at NAPA for around $40 instead of them doing it for $150. This includes a license plateholder w/brake light and horn/push button and rear view mirror. I would suspect the mirror would be different on a Rhino though.

djunkie
03-29-2007, 01:58 PM
Anyone know where the Parker MVD is located? Also will they accept a credit card or is it a cash only deal with them?

2Driver
03-29-2007, 02:13 PM
Do everything by mail with Sierra title in Phx and you will not even need to get it inspected. Call Sierra Title and talk to Robin Best $35 you will ever spend
If you want to be sure you are legal you need.
Brake light
Horn
Rear view mirror
Light over the lic plate
No turns and no windshield. Be sure it is reg as an ATV and not a buggy. Buggy has a whole other cat of requirements. I think that is where people get crossed up. You can have a real buggy reg as a ATV and get passed all the extra stuff as well. I have done my home work on this.

Outnumbered
03-29-2007, 02:32 PM
Do everything by mail with Sierra title in Phx and you will not even need to get it inspected. Call Sierra Title and talk to Robin Best $35 you will ever spend
Brake light
Horn
Rear view mirror
Light over the lic plate
No turns and no windshield. Be sure it is reg as an ATV and not a buggy. Buggy has a whole other cat of requirements. I think that is where people get crossed up. You can have a real buggy reg as a ATV and get passed all the extra stuff as well. I have done my home work on this.
If he is bringing it in from out of state they have to do an inspection regardless of street legal or just off-road RV plated.

djunkie
03-29-2007, 02:45 PM
Brake light
Horn
Rear view mirror
Light over the lic plate
I tried them. Being as my Rhino is already green stickered in Ca. it will need a VIN inspection.

Cole Trickle
03-29-2007, 02:58 PM
Anyone know where the Parker MVD is located? Also will they accept a credit card or is it a cash only deal with them?
It's right behind the Chevy dealership when you come in from Eherenberg.
I wrote them a check when I regestered the Rhino.
I was 8 back in line and it took probably 45 minutes before I was served.The lady was very nice and helpful.(Didn't bother be about horns,mirrors,windshields,insurance to register;))

andy01
03-29-2007, 02:59 PM
Behind the Chevy dealer, don't go on Monday or Friday. It sucks! I was there 2.5 hours on Friday but walked out with a plate. I don't know about CC's I wrote a check no problem. Had Ca. Title/az insurance ready to go, still took 30 minutes at the window after the vin inspection. GOOD LUCK SUCKER! I did the Vette there this year also, on a Wed. day......... it took about an hour total, vin, mileage, plate exchange, paper work, write a check. So if you can go during the week and be there at 8 am you will be in and out!
Andy

djunkie
03-29-2007, 03:03 PM
It's right behind the Chevy dealership when you come in from Eherenberg.
I wrote them a check when I regestered the Rhino.
I was 8 back in line and it took probably 45 minutes before I was served.The lady was very nice and helpful.(Didn't bother be about horns,mirrors,windshields,insurance to register;))
Behind the Chevy dealer, don't go on Monday or Friday. It sucks! I was there 2.5 hours on Friday but walked out with a plate. I don't know about CC's I wrote a check no problem. Had Ca. Title/az insurance ready to go, still took 30 minutes at the window after the vin inspection. GOOD LUCK SUCKER! I did the Vette there this year also, on a Wed. day......... it took about an hour total, vin, mileage, plate exchange, paper work, write a check. So if you can go during the week and be there at 8 am you will be in and out!
Andy
Well I'm leaving at 8am tomorrow so its gonna have to get done. I want this over with. I just got my insurance but I don't have the paperwork yet since I don't have a fax machine so I won't have proof with me. Will that be ok?

Cole Trickle
03-29-2007, 03:06 PM
Well I'm leaving at 8am tomorrow so its gonna have to get done. I want this over with. I just got my insurance but I don't have the paperwork yet since I don't have a fax machine so I won't have proof with me. Will that be ok?
You might get lucky..I know I did.

2Driver
03-29-2007, 03:07 PM
I tried them. Being as my Rhino is already green stickered in Ca. it will need a VIN inspection.
True, a CA vehicle coming in to AZ will require a vin check. Keith didnt mention that. I bought my wifes Yamaha in CA last month and they needed to see it, but my repo 450 Yam had a AZ title ( which I also bought in CA auction) and needed no vin inspect.

andy01
03-29-2007, 03:15 PM
No you will need prof. Have them send it to my fax and I will scan it in and e-mail it to you as a Jpeg and you can print it. You will need it.
PM me if you need my fax.
Andy

OutCole'd
03-29-2007, 03:17 PM
Brake light
Horn
Rear view mirror
Light over the lic plate
Yep, could not have been easier!!

djunkie
03-29-2007, 03:52 PM
No you will need prof. Have them send it to my fax and I will scan it in and e-mail it to you as a Jpeg and you can print it. You will need it.
PM me if you need my fax.
Andy
Thanks for the offer Andy. I just shot up to my grandmothers house and used her fax. So now I got the proof of ins. so I should be good.