PDA

View Full Version : Why text message

gramps
03-29-2007, 01:34 PM
What is the big deal about using a text message on your cell phone instead of just calling the person and talking? If I want/need to talk with someone I want a voice............not a reply on the screen. What am i missing here?

Some Kind Of Monster
03-29-2007, 01:37 PM
I'm at work or school and I am not allowed to "talk" on the phone.. It is very annoying when someone is talking on their phone 24/7 365.. I just prefer send a quick message instead of engaging in an hour phone call.

Jordy
03-29-2007, 01:38 PM
I like it because I can deal with a text message when I get around to it, whereas, when the phone is ringing I feel obligated to answer it, even if I'm in the middle of something. No real pressure with the text, plus, if I don't answer the phone, often I'll end up with a voicemail, so then I have to call that to listen to someone tell me to call them, like I didn't get the hint that they wanted to talk to me when they called, not to mention, all my phones have caller ID so I know they called without hearing a voicemail. :)

HavaSkank
03-29-2007, 01:39 PM
Im a commitment-phobe, so texting works for me

Some Kind Of Monster
03-29-2007, 01:39 PM
I like it because I can deal with a text message when I get around to it, whereas, when the phone is ringing I feel obligated to answer it, even if I'm in the middle of something. No real pressure with the text, plus, if I don't answer the phone, often I'll end up with a voicemail, so then I have to call that to listen to someone tell me to call them, like I didn't get the hint that they wanted to talk to me when they called, not to mention, all my phones have caller ID so I know they called without hearing a voicemail. :)
Exactly.. Freaking anoying.

Infomaniac
03-29-2007, 01:43 PM
Because you can answer at your convenience.
But we are so bad that we text from one end of the house to the other.
And you can flirt in the presence of others and no one knows.

gramps
03-29-2007, 01:43 PM
I like it because I can deal with a text message when I get around to it, whereas, when the phone is ringing I feel obligated to answer it, even if I'm in the middle of something.
I guess when you get as old as dirt (me) you don't feel obligated, or at least I don't. I'll look at the caller ID and go from there (if I can find my reading glasses).

Windy
03-29-2007, 01:46 PM
Its perfect for sending your other half a quick but sweet message in the monring. ;)

dumbandyoung
03-29-2007, 01:46 PM
True!! I hate listening to voicemail!
One thing I found out.. If you text someone that has Verizon and You also have Verizon...the sender can see if the message has been opened and read by the recipient. On my Treo the test message would highlight read if someone read it, and on my chocolate there will be a check mark next to the message in the outbox if it was read..

Racey
03-29-2007, 02:46 PM
I hate checking my voicemail as well, i dont need to hear that i have a new message 5 times in a row before they even play it, just play the damn message, i know i have a new message that's why i'm calling You B!tch.
Texts are great for quick and simple questions or announcements, plus you can send one text message to all or any group of contacts in your phone book at one time.

Do F150's Float?
03-29-2007, 02:56 PM
I can't believe the boys forgot the obvious...
You can picture message boobs :D
Can't do that by talking...

Jordy
03-29-2007, 03:02 PM
Prove it. :notam:

Do F150's Float?
03-29-2007, 03:14 PM
Prove it. :notam:
Sure! Show me your boobs and i will text them right back to you. :D

dumbandyoung
03-29-2007, 03:18 PM
umm get the pic ready and ill give you my #:D :D

DILLIGAF
03-29-2007, 03:24 PM
Hey Gramps...I am with you...F the text messaging on the phone. I have email for that shit. I refuse and will not use the friggin' text message on my phone. Just the way it is!
If someone doesn't like it DILLIGAF!

Jordy
03-29-2007, 03:26 PM
:D :D :D

V-DRIVE VIDEO
03-29-2007, 03:28 PM
I have a few friends that are "long talkers". When I need to comunicate but don't want to get stuck in a long call I use text messaging.

dmontzsta
03-29-2007, 03:29 PM
I have a few friends that are "long talkers". When I need to comunicate but don't want to get stuck in a long call I use text messaging.
:D

burtandnancy2
03-29-2007, 03:30 PM
Also, I haven't taken or sent any pictures or videos. I hope I can buy my next phone without all those extra's...

Angry Inch
03-29-2007, 03:32 PM
You can divorce your wife with a text in the UAE. True story.

BajaMike
03-29-2007, 03:33 PM
...I am with you...F the text messaging on the phone. I have email for that shit. I refuse and will not use the friggin' text message on my phone. Just the way it is!
Take it easy "gramps"......:D

ChumpChange
03-29-2007, 03:37 PM
True!! I hate listening to voicemail!
One thing I found out.. If you text someone that has Verizon and You also have Verizon...the sender can see if the message has been opened and read by the recipient. On my Treo the test message would highlight read if someone read it, and on my chocolate there will be a check mark next to the message in the outbox if it was read..
It's not necessarily that they read the message but that their phone received the message. As soon as their phone gets it, it checks it off. So it is really only telling you if their phone is off or on, if it's within reception or not.

DILLIGAF
03-29-2007, 03:42 PM
:D :D :D
What's up Mr Jordy................

Jordy
03-29-2007, 03:43 PM
What's up Mr Jordy................
You didn't get my text??? :D :D :D
Mr. Jordy??? You sound like someone who used to post on here once upon a time. :notam:

Phat Matt
03-29-2007, 03:44 PM
What is the big deal about using a text message on your cell phone instead of just calling the person and talking? If I want/need to talk with someone I want a voice............not a reply on the screen. What am i missing here?
You know posting is real similar to texting. :)

BajaMike
03-29-2007, 03:46 PM
One nice thing is you can blast out a text message to a group of people.....:idea:
Like "hey, everyone, lets meet at Tom's house for some free beer"!
:D :eek: :) :sqeyes:

DILLIGAF
03-29-2007, 03:48 PM
You didn't get my text??? :D :D :D
Mr. Jordy??? You sound like someone who used to post on here once upon a time. :notam:
No I didn't.....
I just got into AZ, drinking some BL's, listening to some good blues and things are well in life. Of course that could change a little later if I break into that Goose....and shit :)

DILLIGAF
03-29-2007, 03:49 PM
One nice thing is you can blast out a text message to a group of people.....:idea:
Like "hey, everyone, lets meet at Tom's house for some free beer"!
:D :eek: :) :sqeyes:
Very funny Mr Mike. Ya, everybody is Mr. Whatever tonight....lol
A swarm at my house.....first one thru the door gets blasted :)

DILLIGAF
03-29-2007, 03:50 PM
lol....X2

Jordy
03-29-2007, 03:57 PM
No I didn't.....
I just got into AZ, drinking some BL's, listening to some good blues and things are well in life. Of course that could change a little later if I break into that Goose....and shit :)
Maybe it will show up later then. I did send you one, just because I know how much you like them!!! :D :D :D

soupersonic
03-29-2007, 05:12 PM
Sure! Show me your boobs and i will text them right back to you. :D
That made me cough beer on the screen, Jordy got owned and didnt respond,thats a first :D

al cole'holic
03-29-2007, 05:20 PM
...I get asked this all the time, my reply "cuz I don't want to drag on a stupid conversation with you if all I need is someone's number, or a simple question answered" :D

riverbound
03-29-2007, 05:43 PM
BINGO!!!!
Plus you can line up the next nights activities while the previous night is still laying in bed with you ;)

Ziggy
03-29-2007, 06:03 PM
Texting now and then for a servicable purpose=OK
But just to chat about nothing= Hell no
I was sitting in a meeting and this lady next to me was texting on her CrackBerry...annoyed the shit out of me listening to her little tap,tap,tap,tap,tap,tap,tap, then she'd giggle. So I say, I hear those are addicting and annoying. She says yup and goes right back to tapping away. :mad: :devil: Rather than being a complete dick I gave her the major stinkeye and moved over to the next open seat.
She looked over at me a few times with a puzzled look........fricken people are oblivious to their surroundings:rolleyes:

ratso
03-29-2007, 06:39 PM
I text all the time. Cut to the chase and be done with it. I have 2 people that NEVER TEXT, but these sumbitches call just to shoot the shit all the damn time, and usually when I'm busy. If I don't answer, they let it go to voice mail and it's always "Hey, this is so and so... Call me"....... DUH mutha fukka!!! I see your fukkin' number... I know!!! http://***boat.com/ubb/graemlins/yuk.gif
Pisses me off every time they leave me a stupid message like that and I have to check my voicemail!http://***boat.com/ubb/mad.gif

Rexone
03-29-2007, 06:44 PM
I have 2 people that NEVER TEXT, but these sumbitches call just to shoot the shit all the damn time, and usually when I'm busy. If I don't answer, they let it go to voice mail and it's always "Hey, this is so and so... Call me"....... DUH mutha fukka!!! I see your fukkin' number... I know!!! http://***boat.com/ubb/graemlins/yuk.gif
Pisses me off every time they leave me a stupid message like that and I have to check my voicemail!http://***boat.com/ubb/mad.gif
Ok I get the picture. I won't call you any more. Next time you need me just call 1-800-eatshitratso.

ratso
03-29-2007, 07:01 PM
Ok I get the picture. I won't call you any more. Next time you need me just call 1-800-eatshitratso.
...could I just email or send a PM?:D

Devil's Advocate
03-29-2007, 07:55 PM
Hey Gramps...I am with you...F the text messaging on the phone. I have email for that shit. I refuse and will not use the friggin' text message on my phone. Just the way it is!
I felt the same way about it until I finally gave in and got the stupid text messaging because I was getting texts from everyone else and it was pissing me off.:D It's convenient and annoying at the same time.

98 Vector 21
03-29-2007, 08:05 PM
Sometimes I dont want to talk! Just shout Whats up Fockr......

DILLIGAF
03-29-2007, 08:21 PM
I felt the same way about it until I finally gave in and got the stupid text messaging because I was getting texts from everyone else and it was pissing me off.:D It's convenient and annoying at the same time.
I like the convinience but try to eliminate as much annoying stuff out of my life as possible.
Annoying over rides the convinience :)

a catered life
03-29-2007, 08:25 PM
dam it jordy i must agre with you:D

SB
03-30-2007, 12:41 PM
I don't text, and I don't get it. Before we had phones, we had telegraph and had to tap out a message. Then we got rid of telegraph. Now we are texting, which is a step backwards. You can speak 150 words/min., you can only text a few words a min.
The only possible thing I can think of I might text would be after a first date, I don't want to call the girl too soon, but I might send, "Had a nice time."

ratso
03-30-2007, 01:02 PM