PDA

View Full Version : Quick ?, trailer hitch/ ball height

4day!!
03-29-2007, 06:07 PM
Just had the truck lifted and curious what is the rule of thumb for the height of the top of the ball?

talbert450r
03-29-2007, 06:09 PM
Depends on your trailer but mine is about knee high

YeLLowBoaT
03-29-2007, 06:11 PM
you want to be trailer to as close to level as you can get it,( when its hooked to the back of the truck. )

raff
03-29-2007, 06:13 PM
Rule of thumb 18" off the ground

4day!!
03-29-2007, 06:14 PM
Depends on your trailer but mine is about knee high
That i know from experience, (as i'm sure many others do to):cry: :mad: I'm just trying to figure if i need a 6" or 8" drop. Instead of buying and returning them.

4day!!
To the top of the ball?

blown dough
Where ever your sure someone will bust their knees when they come running around the back of the truck

raff
03-29-2007, 06:16 PM
To the top of the ball?
Yes.

raff
03-29-2007, 06:20 PM
Just run out side to measure, 18" to the top of the ball, f250 4" lift on 33,
The boat is level when it's hooked op.

Southwest47
03-29-2007, 06:31 PM
I just had my truck lifted too, so I subsequently bought a Rapid Hitch so I could adjust the height as needed. However, I noticed during tow that my truck surges back-and-forth as if the trailer is pushing-and-pulling the truck. I'm sure this action is not good on the Allison, so I am a bit worried about the long hauls to Havasu. More importantly though, the Domestic Commander (wife) says the motion makes her sick!
Any suggestions on a fix?:confused:

essexjet
03-29-2007, 06:34 PM
I have an 04 F-250 4x4 with a 6" lift and 35" tires. My hitch is a 8" drop and works fine and level.

voodoomedman
03-29-2007, 06:38 PM
I just had my truck lifted too, so I subsequently bought a Rapid Hitch so I could adjust the height as needed. However, I noticed during tow that my truck surges back-and-forth as if the trailer is pushing-and-pulling the truck. I'm sure this action is not good on the Allison, so I am a bit worried about the long hauls to Havasu. More importantly though, the Domestic Commander (wife) says the motion makes her sick!
Your trailer probably has surge brakes but that should only be when stopping or starting that you feel the slack. Could it have to do with the suspension? I am lifted so while the boat was being built I had air bag load levelers put on the truck. Maybe that would help.

HMF'er
03-29-2007, 06:41 PM
The length of the drop could be leveraging the weight of the trailer and therefore increasing the motion. A non adjustable drop hitch may not be so bad, but that's just a guess on my part. I suppose you can always store the boat in Havasu!

dumbandyoung
03-29-2007, 06:48 PM
Where ever your sure someone will bust their knees when they come running around the back of the truck
I remember me and some friends toilet papering a friends house when where 10 or 11 years old. Well we got caught and I ran around a truck parked out front as he chased after me around the back of the truck all I heard was BAM! and then a him crying.... My buddy ripped open his knee and had 15 stiches. The other 3 of us were grounded. Damn trailer balls!:D

Havasu Hangin'
03-29-2007, 07:04 PM
That i know from experience, (as i'm sure many others do to):cry: :mad: I'm just trying to figure if i need a 6" or 8" drop. Instead of buying and returning them.
It's gonna depend on the tongue weight, and how much the truck squatted before the lift vs how much it squats after the lift.
The only way to do it for sure is to load it and hook it up.

finsfan4life
03-29-2007, 07:05 PM
Just had the truck lifted and curious what is the rule of thumb for the height of the top of the ball?
2 inch ball, 18 inches off the ground (usually)...

wolfie
03-29-2007, 07:08 PM
I remember me and some friends toilet papering a friends house when where 10 or 11 years old. Well we got caught and I ran around a truck parked out front as he chased after me around the back of the truck all I heard was BAM! and then a him crying.... My buddy ripped open his knee and had 15 stiches. The other 3 of us were grounded. Damn trailer balls!:D
The poor guy doing the safety/emmisions check on mine must have wacked his knee on the hitch four times walking around my truck.

LHC30Victory
03-29-2007, 08:16 PM
Perhaps if you knew that the trailer sat right before the lift and you add the lift to that hitch, you may be in the ballpark for the new hitch...:idea:

a catered life
03-29-2007, 08:23 PM
that guy raff is always full of info..:D ball height:confused:

Deano
03-29-2007, 08:28 PM
man that sounds strange. Might want to check your ubolts on the truck axle. I had a loose one once. The truck felt like a boat when you get on and off the gas. Just a suggestion.

Ziggy
03-29-2007, 08:30 PM
I'm surprised so few people didn't knew the actual 1 1/2 foot number, I assummed it was pretty common knowledge.

Ultracrazy
03-29-2007, 08:30 PM
Ditto

xs ultra
03-29-2007, 08:34 PM
you want to be trailer to as close to level as you can get it,( when its hooked to the back of the truck. )
and use a tape measure to check ,if anything 1" or 2" lower at the hitch.
Single axle 2" lower in front works good

raff
03-29-2007, 08:38 PM
I'm surprised so few people didn't knew the actual 1 1/2 foot number, I assummed it was pretty common knowledge.
you would think so with every one that tows..:jawdrop:

a catered life
03-29-2007, 08:40 PM
you would think so with every one that tows..:jawdrop:
hey you go to bed

raff
03-29-2007, 08:42 PM
hey you go to bed
I'm see you Saturday:sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping:

Sangerdude
03-29-2007, 08:44 PM
check out this sites drop hitch calculator...
http://www.rynomfg.com/

RitcheyRch
03-30-2007, 04:51 AM
Thats what I was told by the trailer repair company that added brakes to my trailer last year.
2 inch ball, 18 inches off the ground (usually)...

UHHH SUCKA
03-30-2007, 07:02 AM
The easiest way to figure this out is Make sure the trailer is level, measure from the the bottom of the frame to the floor at the front and back of the trailer. Once you go it level, measure the from the floor to the top of the coupler. Thats were the ball height needs to be with the weight of the trailer on the hitch. Depending on tongue weight and vehicle your towing with the rear end will drop a little. Make sure you keep this in mind when purchasing the hitch. If you cant have it perfectly level it is always better to have it an inch or so on the higher side at the tongue of the trailer. If you go lower it lessens the tongue weight and on some trailers it will make a diference in the way it tows, especially if it has torsion axles. Just my past experience and $0.02.

V-DRIVE VIDEO
03-30-2007, 08:03 AM
The easiest way to figure this out is Make sure the trailer is level, measure from the the bottom of the frame to the floor at the front and back of the trailer. Once you go it level, measure the from the floor to the top of the coupler. Thats were the ball height needs to be with the weight of the trailer on the hitch. Depending on tongue weight and vehicle your towing with the rear end will drop a little. Make sure you keep this in mind when purchasing the hitch. If you cant have it perfectly level it is always better to have it an inch or so on the higher side at the tongue of the trailer. If you go lower it lessens the tongue weight and on some trailers it will make a diference in the way it tows, especially if it has torsion axles. Just my past experience and $0.02.
This is the right way.