PDA

View Full Version : BOATCOP doesn't mess around

Kilrtoy
03-30-2007, 08:20 AM
or atleast the LA PAZ S.O. doesn't
State Rep. Trish Groe, R-Lake Havasu City, was arrested Thursday night in Parker after driving under the influence of alcohol, said Lt. Linc Gilbert, spokesman for the La Paz County Sheriff's Department.
A deputy stopped Groe for speeding and driving erratically around 9 p.m. Thursday. Tests revealed she had a blood-alcohol content of .158, nearly twice the legal limit in Arizona, Gilbert said. Groe also had a canceled driver's license.
“I just want to say that I am very thankful that no one else was impacted or hurt. I am deeply ashamed and embarrassed of my behavior,” Groe said from her home Friday evening.
Groe said she had been drinking at her apartment in Phoenix and was driving through Parker.
“I feel very blessed that no one was injured because of my poor judgment,” she said.
She was charged with aggravated DUI for driving with a canceled license and extreme DUI for having a blood-alcohol content of more than .15, Gilbert said.
Groe on Friday disputed the canceled license, saying it was a mix-up with the Motor Vehicle Division that she hopes to resolve as soon as possible.
Officers released Groe to an undisclosed third party Thursday night. No bond was set and Groe did not spend any time in jail, Gilbert said.
“If we can find somebody there to release them to, we often do that,” he said.
Asked whether her position had an impact on avoiding a night in jail, Gilbert said, “No, not necessarily.”
Gilbert later said, “It can make some difference.” He added that Groe was “very, very cooperative” and did not argue with officers.
The case has been turned over to the La Paz County Attorney's Office. No appearance date was available at press time.
Arizona voters re-elected District 3 representatives Groe and Republican Nancy McLain in November. District 3 encompasses most of Mohave County, including Lake Havasu City, and a portion of La Paz County.
Parker is within La Paz County, but is part of district 24 and 3.
In Arizona, a person can be arrested for having a BAC of more than .08. Anything above .15 is considered extreme DUI.

Havasu1986
03-30-2007, 08:25 AM
I read about that last week in the Havasu Herald. Says she started drinking in Phoenix and then started driving.:(

CBadDad
03-30-2007, 08:29 AM
So much for here career...

BoatFloating
03-30-2007, 08:37 AM
Sounds like she got a little special treatment.... No bond??????:idea:

moneypit
03-30-2007, 08:45 AM
Huh??? Sounds like she fits right in to me.. Havasu and all...:)

slink
03-30-2007, 08:47 AM
Huh??? Sounds like she fits right in to me.. Havasu and all...:)
Exactly..."Of the people, for the people". She appologized and will probably be the next Governor of Arizona:) :)

BiggusJimbus
03-30-2007, 08:47 AM
One Marion Barry might disagree with you on that.

Tyson Ross
03-30-2007, 09:37 AM
"Sounds like she got a little special treatment.... No bond??????"
No necessarily true. If convicted, she still will have to spend the minimum 2 nights in Jail if plead to an extreme DUI. I had a buddy get an extreme DUI in a golf cart. He was released to me and still had 2 spend his 2 nights down the road. If I knew that at the time I would have let him spend his 1st night while he was drunk. He probably would have enjoyed jail a little more. :jawdrop:

RiverDave
03-30-2007, 09:38 AM
I didn't have to post a bond and I was released 4 hours after my arrest to a 3rd party.
Incidentally I didn't end up getting a OUI/DUI for the people that are curious.
RD

BajaMike
03-30-2007, 09:55 AM
Driving all the way from Phoenix with a .158.......that's pretty damn stupid and dangerous.
:idea:

rocket98
03-30-2007, 10:02 AM
I wonder what her alky content was when see left Phx?

Boatcop
03-30-2007, 10:27 AM
The Arizona Constitution exempts the arrest (unless for Felony, Treason or Offenses against Public Order) of State Legislators and Representatives while the legislature is in session, or for a period of time before the session begins. This is a throwback to Statehood, where it was feared that Sheriff's of a different political persuasion would jail legislators for minor offenses to keep them from voting in session.
Representative Groe's driving record showed a canceled license, but we couldn't find the exact reason for the cancellation in MVD records. While that could have been a Felony (DUI with a canceled, revoked or suspended License) we didn't want to jeopardize the case, leaving it up to the prosecutor to determine charges, while following the Constitutional provision.

Ziggy
03-30-2007, 10:30 AM
I wonder what her alky content was when see left Phx?
.158 when she was caught, two hours after leaving Phx.......:idea: :eek: