PDA

View Full Version : Ford Tranny Issues

talkinghead
03-30-2007, 08:42 PM
I have a 2000 Ford Expedition, I notice in high gear, at low RPM's under a load (going up hill, etc..) it sort of hesitates or slips.
I take it in to a Ford dealer and they come back with: your tranny is shot, need a new one @ $2500 bucks.
So they install new tranny, I go and pick it up and it's doing the same thing (hesitation, lurching).
I take it back and then they say, oh it's a COP (coil over plug) that has failed - this was different from the tranny problem, another $300 bucks.
Now the car seems fine - no hesitation, etc...
I'm left wondering, did this dealer just screw me out of $2500 bucks for a transmission I didn't need?
This Expedition has 70k on it, never used for towing - basically a daily driver, well maintained.

YeLLowBoaT
03-30-2007, 08:47 PM
Hard to say... 70k is a little low for a tranny thats not been abused... then again, with the way some people drive SUV its amazing they last 50k miles.( you know hard on gas, hard on the brakes... these are trucks not small cars. you can't drive them like that and expect them to last, and not need repairs.)

shadow
03-30-2007, 08:51 PM
Ignition coils are fairly common.Sounds like a misdiagnosis at your expense E4OD trannys are pretty good.
By the way the ignition coils are about $90 customers cost.I always have a few in my tool box.
By the way there should have been no charge for the diagnosis of the same concern.

CBadDad
03-30-2007, 09:05 PM
I'm left wondering, did this dealer just screw me out of $2500 bucks for a transmission I didn't need?
Yep, sure sounds like it.
Did you take it to any other mechanics? Do any research on the internet?
An expensive lesson.

blown428fe
03-30-2007, 09:10 PM
I think all this bad tranny talk is bullshit, nobody realy knows what is going on. Your tranny shot that will be 2800.00 or 32 give me a god damn break..
My last truck had 225,000 on it when I sold it and still going now with factory tranny (95 F-250 POWER STROKE). Over drive light would flash and truck would shift like it had a major shift kit in it, all I would do is unhook batts. over night and she was fine. This happened 4 times and since the first to the last I put on 80,000. My 97 F-350 Power Stroke has 176,000 on the factory trans with a snow plow and regular trailor towing. I dont know. Im just saying we dont know what to look for anymore and I think its all a big god damn skam, try unhooking batts over night once in a while just for the falk of it.......

shadow
03-30-2007, 09:14 PM
Sounds like it should have been a simple diag.Road test ,verify customers concern.The tech should've been able to tell the difference between a misfire and trans concern.Simple to hook up the WDS check for any DTC's and then do a power balance test. 30 mins worth of diag and 10 minutes to relace the ign coil.
I just recently had the same concern on Wildbills truck picked it up at the boatbrokers and returned it repaired within an Hr.
I'd raise hell if i were you,sounds like you have documentation with the first repair order stating your concern then return with the same concern and the ignition coil fixed the original concern.

talkinghead
03-30-2007, 09:17 PM
I did research the problem - many others (with expeditions, F-150's) had reported similiar issues, but the check engine light did not come on, and I checked for OBD codes and got nothing (no misfires or anything).
It was getting worse, and since I could not determine which cyclinder was misfiring I figured I had no choice but to take it in.
I am a pretty mellow driver and I only drive it to work once a week (I carpool).

CBadDad
03-30-2007, 09:23 PM
I'd raise hell if i were you,sounds like you have documentation with the first repair order stating your concern then return with the same concern and the ignition coil fixed the original concern.
And then what happens? He has a new tranny, so he's not gonna get a refund. Maybe an apology. What recoarse does he really have?

shadow
03-30-2007, 09:25 PM
I did research the problem - many others (with expeditions, F-150's) had reported similiar issues, but the check engine light did not come on, and I checked for OBD codes and got nothing (no misfires or anything).
It was getting worse, and since I could not determine which cyclinder was misfiring I figured I had no choice but to take it in.
I am a pretty mellow driver and I only drive it to work once a week (I carpool).
Random misfires may or may not set a code.Vehicle may run with a slight or random misfire for months until it gets bad enough to set a code such as
po301-po308.WDS will pick it up in a power balance test and pinpoint which cylinder is misfiring.
disconnecting the battery will only temporarily clear the check enginge light
and make you have to reset your clock and radio stations.won't fix anything.

shadow
03-30-2007, 09:34 PM
And then what happens? He has a new tranny, so he's not gonna get a refund. Maybe an apology. What recoarse does he really have?
He may have to fight it but with the repair orders in hand stating the original concern and repair then the same concern and different repair.Customer will win if it's ness to take it to court with proper documentation if he's willing to take it to small claims.
I'd start with the General manager and Service manager of the Dealership.
I'd like to see the story the tech wrote to determine the trans failed.Did he dissasemble it and determine a cause of failure(i doubt it) or just road test it and condem the trans?(most likely)

Kindsvater Flat
03-30-2007, 10:12 PM
E4OD trannys are pretty good.
About 1 in 20 vs the AODE/W. E4OD's are pretty stout transmissions.

talkinghead
03-30-2007, 10:36 PM
The Service Manager did agree that something went wrong with the diagnosis.
At first he was like - do you want me to put your old tranny back in?
He said he will think about it over the weekend what he will do.
The only thing he said was that there were a few metal shavings in the pan of the transmission.
Bottomline though: the coil replacement fixed the problem.
What I really find interesting is that the car barely made it home after the new transmission was installed. I wonder if they even did a road test.

YeLLowBoaT
03-30-2007, 10:38 PM
What I really find interesting is that the car barely made it home after the new transmission was installed. I wonder if they even did a road test.
there is nothing to wonder about... they didn't...

Jordy
03-30-2007, 10:53 PM
Ford? Tranny issues??? Say it isn't so??? :jawdrop:

Kindsvater Flat
03-30-2007, 11:19 PM
Ford? Tranny issues??? Say it isn't so??? :jawdrop:
1/2 ton vs 1/2 ton we lose more 4L60's than AODE/W's. Probably a 6 to 1 ratio. As for motors we can't get a 4.6 or a 5.4 to go more than 180,000 miles.

talkinghead
03-30-2007, 11:26 PM
The motor is a 4.6, this is what the tech wrote:
Roadtest EECTEST TRANS SLIPPING R AND R TRANS PAN FOUND CLUTCH MATERIAL IN PAN.R AND R TRANS FLUSH COOLER LINES
INSTALLED TRANS INLINE FILTER AND ROADTEST AFTER REPAIRS
YL3Z-7V000-HRM TRANSMISSION A 2292.76

shadow
03-31-2007, 06:19 AM
The motor is a 4.6, this is what the tech wrote:
Roadtest EECTEST TRANS SLIPPING R AND R TRANS PAN FOUND CLUTCH MATERIAL IN PAN.R AND R TRANS FLUSH COOLER LINES
INSTALLED TRANS INLINE FILTER AND ROADTEST AFTER REPAIRS
YL3Z-7V000-HRM TRANSMISSION A 2292.76
Sounds like a pretty vauge diag.
The techs story states clutch material in the pan,the service manager says
metal in the pan.
clutch material is not metal,and some metal fuzz(not shavings or chunks) on the magnent in the pan is normal.
What dealership did the work?

little rowe boat
03-31-2007, 08:15 AM
I'd go speak with the service manager and voice your concerns.

CBadDad
04-01-2007, 02:30 PM
The Service Manager did agree that something went wrong with the diagnosis.
At first he was like - do you want me to put your old tranny back in?
He said he will think about it over the weekend what he will do.
The only thing he said was that there were a few metal shavings in the pan of the transmission.
Bottomline though: the coil replacement fixed the problem.
Tell him yes, put my old tranny back in and give me a refund. No way that is gonna happen. Not cost effective. It'll be interesting to see what happens. I guess it all depends on how far you willing to take it.

CBadDad
04-01-2007, 02:30 PM
Oops - double post.

CBadDad
04-03-2007, 10:09 AM
Any update?

SB
04-03-2007, 10:30 AM
1/2 ton vs 1/2 ton we lose more 4L60's than AODE/W's. Probably a 6 to 1 ratio. As for motors we can't get a 4.6 or a 5.4 to go more than 180,000 miles.
Interesting, what is your best motor/tranny?

rivercrazy
04-03-2007, 10:48 AM
FORD = F'er Only Runs Downhill
FORD backwards = Driver Returns On Foot!

little rowe boat
04-03-2007, 11:12 AM
FORD = F'er Only Runs Downhill
FORD backwards = Driver Returns On Foot!
:rolleyes: Stupid.

lewiville
04-03-2007, 12:13 PM
Sounds like it should have been a simple diag.Road test ,verify customers concern.The tech should've been able to tell the difference between a misfire and trans concern.Simple to hook up the WDS check for any DTC's and then do a power balance test. 30 mins worth of diag and 10 minutes to relace the ign coil.
I just recently had the same concern on Wildbills truck picked it up at the boatbrokers and returned it repaired within an Hr.
Shadow,
what kind of recourse do I have since I put my new trans in. I have had it for a year and a couple of months. My situation is happening again and now Im getting pissed. I feel like Capistrano Ford took my money.
P.S. can you send me that Coil you have sitting in your box?

rivercrazy
04-03-2007, 01:09 PM
No FUNNY! :D

blown65
04-03-2007, 02:05 PM
Its funny how ppl put chevy on a pedestal and slam ford, but with our trucks really the fords hold up much better. (about 12 of each) We have a 04 3500hd and a 5500 that have had lots of issues. 3500 only has 76k miles but has seen the deal more than my 99 F450 has.
Dont even get me started with the 5500, we has a suit on that one pending.

little rowe boat
04-03-2007, 02:18 PM
Its funny how ppl put chevy on a pedestal and slam ford, but with our trucks really the fords hold up much better. (about 12 of each) We have a 04 3500hd and a 5500 that have had lots of issues. 3500 only has 76k miles but has seen the deal more than my 99 F450 has.
Dont even get me started with the 5500, we has a suit on that one pending.
I agree. My brother in law has a landscapping business and all his work trucks are Fords, but his everyday driver is a GM. I asked him why and he said that for everyday driving his GM rides better than a ford but his work trucks are all fords because they last 2 to 3 yrs longer than GM.