PDA

View Full Version : Eliminator Whipple Conversion

TPI
03-31-2007, 06:40 AM
A customer brought me this 27 Daytona for a Whipple conversion, and I thought it would be cool to post some pics and data over here in the "boring" Hot Boat area of this site. It's a 2005 27 Daytona with a 1.5 GR Sportmaster 2" lower and a 525 efi. His best speed was a GPS 84 mph with a 28 Bravo 4 blade at havasu(500 ft elevation). Now right there I thought the boat seemed a little slow, but hey, this is the real world, and this customer was as honest as they come. If the boat would only go 84 mph at 5200, then that is all it would do. Here is a pic of the engine:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/Bumstead07_001m.jpg

TPI
03-31-2007, 06:52 AM
For those of you that have never done one of these new 525/Whipple conversions,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,it is a very detailed and tedious job to do right. The complete ignition, fuel system, wiring, sensors, and fuel cooler are removed. The motor looks very bare at that point. That is a great time to clean and polish everything up on the motor, before you start putting the good parts on:D If you do everything perfect and don't rush this installation, plan on a week or so(unless of course you pull a few all nighters:mad: ) You should add a sea strainer and gauges in the dash to monitor your fuel pressure and boost settings. You also have several new hoses to make, clamp and install. Once the install is complete, the timing, fuel pressure and TPS settings are critical. If they are set correctly, you will not believe how nice the motor will run. It's almost unbelievable. The accelleration feels like you added another motor and you should gain somewhere in the neighborhood of 10 mph. I have seen as much as 14 mph. This boat was tested at Lake Elsinore(1200+ft Elevation) and ran 94 mph with a 30 lab at 5800 rpm. I think the boat could go faster with a better prop and maybe a 1" spacer, but that is a whole different story:D . The customer loves it, and here is the end result:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/Bumstead07_008m.jpg

phebus
03-31-2007, 07:30 AM
Gary, if I ever have two cents to rub together, I am bringing them to you to polish. The work you do is incredible, and your attention to detail, second to none. Very nice...............

HavasuDreamin'
03-31-2007, 07:41 AM
Very cool. I am sure the customer was happy. He should be. May I ask what a ballpark figure is on the cost? Kind of a cost per MPH thing.

TPI
03-31-2007, 11:47 AM
Normally that whole $1000 per mph is a good factor if you start with a boat that runs over 80 mph. If you pay for show polish, lab prop, and some billet accessories it can go up to $1500 per mph. This was a $15K+ job with all of the new hoses and fittings he wanted. He also had a full service done on the motor and drive. This boat will probably run between 97-100 mph at Havasu where the 525 stock test was done.:D

MR.rvrluvr
04-01-2007, 06:36 PM
awsome work... someday we will be talking about a motor swap... :) :)

beaverretriever
04-01-2007, 07:04 PM
AWESOME Looking. Absolutely bitchen!!!!!!!!!!
I didn't happen to see what kind of boost this set up was putting out.:idea:
How does the 525 do with some boost and how much can you reliably run? I don't know much about the 525 (I like it though:D ). Did you have to put in a bigger fuel pump, get bigger injectors/better duty cycle? I would assume the 525 already has a higher compression ratio that wouldn't be boost friendly.:confused:
Again, super sweet looking. Your work looks top notch.

TPI
04-02-2007, 04:48 AM
IMO, The mercury 525HP is absolutely the best motor available for the money. It is really nice. The compression ratio is 8.75:1 which is perfect for a single Whipple. The Whipple kit adds 6-7 lbs of boost on 91 octane, and when it is set up right,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,it is phenominal. The new Whipple 525 conversion replaces the entire fuel system and much more. It comes with Aeromotive pump and all new injectors, Throttle body, etc. They REALLY run well when they are done.

sigepmock
04-02-2007, 05:00 PM
For those of you that have never done one of these new 525/Whipple conversions,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,it is a very detailed and tedious job to do right. The complete ignition, fuel system, wiring, sensors, and fuel cooler are removed. The motor looks very bare at that point. That is a great time to clean and polish everything up on the motor, before you start putting the good parts on:D If you do everything perfect and don't rush this installation, plan on a week or so(unless of course you pull a few all nighters:mad: ) You should add a sea strainer and gauges in the dash to monitor your fuel pressure and boost settings. You also have several new hoses to make, clamp and install. Once the install is complete, the timing, fuel pressure and TPS settings are critical. If they are set correctly, you will not believe how nice the motor will run. It's almost unbelievable. The accelleration feels like you added another motor and you should gain somewhere in the neighborhood of 10 mph. I have seen as much as 14 mph. This boat was tested at Lake Elsinore(1200+ft Elevation) and ran 94 mph with a 30 lab at 5800 rpm. I think the boat could go faster with a better prop and maybe a 1" spacer, but that is a whole different story:D . The customer loves it, and here is the end result:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/Bumstead07_008m.jpg
:idea: :idea: :D :D :D

TPI
04-02-2007, 08:21 PM
Doing the same exact kit on a Howard 28 Bullet next week. Should be a nice set up.:D

BLOWN HOWARD
04-02-2007, 09:44 PM
Dont forget the pics!!!!! Gotta have some more pics of your work

TPI
04-03-2007, 05:05 AM
Thanks, I will do my best.:D

brad22
04-03-2007, 06:38 PM
Thanks for posting this project Gary. ***boat could use some more "***boat" material like this. Looks good and sounds like it performed good!! So good job!! :D

TPI
04-04-2007, 05:45 AM
4+ years ago, this kinda thing was pretty common on this site. I think it was just one of the things that made it so popular. Overhauls and installation pics with results good or bad are a great topic for threads IMO.

sigepmock
04-19-2007, 05:56 PM
So........:D

Washed Ashore
05-03-2007, 08:30 PM
TPI,
Whats the inside scoop on the new Whipple 305?have you tried one yet?
Jeff

TPI
05-04-2007, 05:21 AM
I actually ran one last night,,,,,,,,,,,,,all I can say is AWESOME! I cannot believe how nice and tame it sounds down low. It idles like the Whipple 200ax 900 hp motor but it's really a 555ci hydraulic roller BBC with close to 1200HP! This will be the only way to go soon,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,mark my words,,,,,,,These kits are nice! The Whipple 200ax and W305 are the only blowers I will sell. The w305 could be one of the coolest things I have ever had. ..... Guys should be saving their extra money in a sparklet's bottle and preparing their longblocks for the hottest thing available.It is worth every penny, trust me. Here is mine:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/w30507m.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/w305072m.JPG

jet4fun
05-11-2007, 12:19 AM
got any speed numbers yet? what do you think is the approx speed/hp gain over the old setup?:idea:

Beer-30
05-11-2007, 02:16 AM
Is that thing gonna fit in the scoop? Looks LONG.
That friggen air inlet screen is HUGE.

TPI
05-11-2007, 06:04 AM
It fit's perfect.:D

It's Only Money
05-11-2007, 11:02 AM
Doing the same exact kit on a Howard 28 Bullet next week. Should be a nice set up.:D
I would imagine that would need a "hood" ornment - i.e. a scoop to allow the hatch to close - right?

acatitude
05-11-2007, 12:51 PM
with the redone 525 whats the hp and what type of drive is it running??? thanks

TPI
05-15-2007, 04:53 AM
I would imagine that would need a "hood" ornment - i.e. a scoop to allow the hatch to close - right?
No hood orniment on the 25 or 28 BUllet. It fits underneath:D
90+ mph"sleeper"!
As far as the power goes,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,they are making 790+, and I have seen guys running stock XR's CAREFULLY with no problems. Change your drive oil every 10 hrs and watch your drive live much longer:D

I DIG IT !
05-28-2007, 09:48 AM
Wow very nice

acatitude
05-31-2007, 03:37 PM
Have a little question for you Gary. whipple swap on 496 , not sure of terminowledgy (sp) but when you check the brain I guess it is on the motor there are no errors that come up, but when you try and fire it there is no spark to the front 4 cylinders.... Is that a problem from the senser on the harmonic balancer??? or at least a place to start? all power and grounds have been checked.... just trying to get an idea..... Thanks
hope this makes a little sense

TPI
06-01-2007, 03:57 PM
Sounds odd,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Has this motor ever been run with the Whipple? If not, is the "distributor" in the EXACT same place it was removed? There are a lot of variables to your situation.

acatitude
06-02-2007, 02:39 PM
yes it was. blew a head gasket and now when put back together this is the problem. thanks

TPI
06-02-2007, 04:07 PM
If I had to guess, I would say that when it was reassembled, the distributor(sensor) was not placed in the exact location it was before. So the signal is now off. Also, run a little bit of extra fuel pressure to it(3-4lbs) just to keep it safe for the customer,,,,,,,,,,,,,it wont hurt his performance. Timing is also crucial, so double check that it is not WAY too far advanced or the head gaskets will go..........................good luck.

TPI
06-02-2007, 04:13 PM
This is the little guy I am referring to. It has to be on the money. This is a pic I took before a the stock intake was removed on a 525 with a 555ecu(same as yours). This was for the "piggyback system" which was the only thing available when the 525 Whipple kit first came out. I always try to snap digital pics while they are coming apart and going back together. Good luck with it.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/tf4m.JPG

acatitude
06-02-2007, 05:34 PM
thanks for the info