PDA

View Full Version : Towing in Overdrive?

GRUNION
03-31-2007, 07:26 AM
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=27783&stc=1&d=1175354727Anyone do it? I have a 96 crewcab 1ton It has the 4L80. I pull my boat in OD but am a little scared to pull my 32ft show trailer in OD. It is real heavy when loaded with product. Actually it is even heavy without.

wsuwrhr
03-31-2007, 07:33 AM
My wife has a GMC Sierra C1500 we tow the boat and bikes with when we don't use the motorhome.
I take it out of overdrive when we climb hills or grades. Otherwise I use overdrive at highway speeds on flat ground.
We are talking about a few thousand pounds at best though. Nothing near what you are towing.

Havasu Hangin'
03-31-2007, 07:35 AM
I have the 4L80E, and I tow in 12,000lbs overdrive only on the flats. I put one of those big-ass (24K GVCW) B&M tranny coolers on, but I can still see the temp climb if the tranny is shifting often.
No shifts, and the tranny stays cooler.

phebus
03-31-2007, 07:35 AM
Something heavy like that, I'd rather run the rpm's and burn more gas, then load the motor.

V-DRIVE VIDEO
03-31-2007, 07:37 AM
My last truck was a 96. I allways towed in overdrive. It came factory equipped with the 4:56 rear end gears so the rpms were like a truck with a 3 speed. Had I dropped it down a gear for towing, it would have been reving way too high. The upside was it rarely needed to downshift.:messedup:
I used to flush the trans annually and sold it trouble free after 8 years.
http://www.v-drivevideo.com/jerrysgallery/albums/userpics/10001/normal_DSCF0970.JPG

HCS
03-31-2007, 07:40 AM
Some techs will tell you not to tow in overdrive. I fried the trany in my Suburban, one tech told me it was from towing in overdrive. I don't know that I believe that though. I still tow in overdrive anyway.

GRUNION
03-31-2007, 07:42 AM
I was thinking of changing the gearing My wheels are 19s but I run a low pro tire so its actually has a lot smaller tire on it than stock. so at 60 mph in third im really revin the motor somewhere around 3g seems a bit too high. I wanna shift but I was told horror stories of how bad it was on the motor to load it in overdrive.

Havasu Hangin'
03-31-2007, 08:01 AM
I was thinking of changing the gearing My wheels are 19s but I run a low pro tire so its actually has a lot smaller tire on it than stock. so at 60 mph in third im really revin the motor somewhere around 3g seems a bit too high. I wanna shift but I was told horror stories of how bad it was on the motor to load it in overdrive.
I would think the tranny would be the weak link...the motor should be fine.
I keep my revs around 2,600-3,000 on my 8.1, and it has been OK to date. For me, the key is just to take my time...if I get in a hurry, things heat up.

98 Vector 21
03-31-2007, 08:02 AM
I would not try O.D. the 4L80E is a strong trans but when it comes apart theres is usally no saving it! And at 3000rpm you about right, a tad high but not destructive.

little rowe boat
03-31-2007, 08:09 AM
If you are pulling a hill with the OD on and the truck starts hunting for a gear, then take it out of OD.

GRUNION
03-31-2007, 09:18 AM
What do you guys think about changing the gears?

Moneypitt
03-31-2007, 09:40 AM
The problem with towing in OD is the converter. It un locks, and locks, and un locks.....An un locked converter is where the tranny heat comes from. If you keep the load, (flat ground) to a level where the converter will stay locked you should be OK. Without the trailer, drive down the road in OD at towing speed. Note the RPMs exactly. Now, lightly touch the brake pedal, and the Rs will go up a couple of hundred. This is the signal that the converter has un locked. Now with that as a baseline while towing at a given speed is the converter locked? This, and the tranny temp gauge will keep you informed as to what is happening while towing. If the converter un locks it is time to downshift out of OD until back to a less demanding cruise mode.......MP

Tahiti350
03-31-2007, 11:19 AM
Had a '96 like yours, but in black and not quite as low, but towed a 9k 5th wheel from Washington to Yellowstone and back. Left in in OD on all but the steepest climbs, and no problems. Got about 11 MPG (after I pulled the tailgate off) average on the trip. Owners manual said towing in overdrive up to the GVW was fine....
That was a great trip right up to the point the asshole in the van in front of me decided to slam on the brakes and cut across traffic in front of me... I couldn't get it stopped in the distance he left me. His bumper, my headlights fender hood and core support, including the tranny cooler. Made a hell of a mess out of my firts high $$ rig, and the Sh!t head kept going, didn't even stop to see if everyone was okay, probably a tweaker with no insurance....

GRUNION
03-31-2007, 12:24 PM
just looked at the tag on the front of my trailer it say 15,000 I asume thats empty

ViB
03-31-2007, 12:29 PM
that's a beautiful truck/ trailer combo!!

BajaMike
03-31-2007, 12:32 PM
What do you guys think about changing the gears?
You don't need to change gears....it looks like the RPMs are right, leave it alone, take it out of overdrive when needed.
:idea:

finsfan4life
03-31-2007, 07:48 PM
I stopped using the tow/haul feature in my 2004 Tahoe when I noticed it was burning more gas while crossing the I40. After about a year, my rear differential (spelling) took a dump.
When I took it in the Chevy dealer for repair, I was asked two questions because it was still under warranty. "Was I towing somthing" if so, "Was I using the Tow/Haul" feature. Of course, I said "yes, of course." My boat weighed no more than 4000 lbs.
I later learned, that my diff. fried up because I "was not" using the tow/haul feature, which would have saved my diff... A little food for thought...

Moneypitt
03-31-2007, 08:32 PM
I later learned, that my diff. fried up because I "was not" using the tow/haul feature, which would have saved my diff... A little food for thought...
OK, I'll bite, How did a trans selection affect the rear end???.....MP

wsuwrhr
04-01-2007, 06:52 AM
OK, I'll bite, How did a trans selection affect the rear end???.....MP
I've got to agree with that.

GRUNION
04-01-2007, 07:34 AM
You don't need to change gears....it looks like the RPMs are right, leave it alone, take it out of overdrive when needed.
:idea:
at 3000 rpm my truck sounds like it crying to shift I dont think it was built to run at 3g for long periods of time.When the truck runs around town it is never more than 2500 when im in the gas hard.

AZJD
04-01-2007, 07:45 AM
Time for a diesel my friend! You hitting Pleasant today?

Baja Big Dog
04-01-2007, 07:49 AM
just looked at the tag on the front of my trailer it say 15,000 I asume thats empty
Wrong assumption, 15K is the max weight.

billet racing 1
04-01-2007, 08:52 AM
I'd guess your empty weight about 6,000, and the max weight 15,000.
Suggestion. when completely loaded, run her over a truck scale, making sure to get each axle weighed. Whith this info you can check the balance, make sure you are not overloaded. Also check the ratings on the tires. If the trailer weighs in at 15,000 loaded, you better have 4 tires rated at 3,750 lbs or higher. Had to run through a hwy inspection station once. The CHP actually checked the rating on the truck, and even the tires. All was OK.
Another suggestion. With that trailer and weight, get a diesel.
I have an 04 Ford 350 w/ the 6.0. four door, dually, 4X4. Pull a 44' goooseneck trailer. Fully loaded weighed at 24,000+. trailer is a 3 axle. With 12 wheels on the ground, it spreads the load pretty well.
As for towing in tow/haul. I do it all the time. Only downshift when it starts to lug the motor. 132,000 miles, and still going strong. (But I am listening for strange noises now. Getting spooked)
Jerry

Beer-30
04-01-2007, 09:22 AM
Like Phebus said, just go by load. If on a flat road with a tailwind, the trans (ECM) should pick what gear the engine wants. Mine tows the 8500-9000lb boat and trailer with almost no load on flat roads. As I feel or hear a load increase on the motor, I just gently push throttle in until it downshifts. Then, I just drop the selector out of OD and let it pull with no load in third. Either on the cruise or not. After the load is done, I just flick it back into OD and it runs just fine.
Just feel what the motor is doing and adjust accordingly. Common sense, really.

dumbandyoung
04-01-2007, 01:14 PM
Like Phebus said, just go by load. If on a flat road with a tailwind, the trans (ECM) should pick what gear the engine wants. Mine tows the 8500-9000lb boat and trailer with almost no load on flat roads. As I feel or hear a load increase on the motor, I just gently push throttle in until it downshifts. Then, I just drop the selector out of OD and let it pull with no load in third. Either on the cruise or not. After the load is done, I just flick it back into OD and it runs just fine.
Just feel what the motor is doing and adjust accordingly. Common sense, really.
Hey beer-30... I saw a old t-bird with a license plate with beer30 on it last night! was that you?:confused:

CBadDad
04-01-2007, 02:11 PM
I'm not sure how the O.D. works or why. All I know is that I leave it on unless I'm pulling a large hill and then I'll click it off. I've often wondered about this, but my 7.3 PSD Excursion actually drives better when I'm towing. Go figure.

GRUNION
04-02-2007, 05:57 AM
Time for a diesel my friend! You hitting Pleasant today?
No lake until desert storm. I worked on my boat all day yesterday though. I was glassing in another bulkhead. Hopefully I will have a new fuel pump by Desert storm and finally be able to open it up.