PDA

View Full Version : HDMI & Digital Audio

Wet Dream
03-31-2007, 09:42 AM
I just installed the HDMI cable from the HD Satellite receiver, but I'm not getting any sound of of the TV. I had to go back to the RCA jacks. There is a Digital audio outpt, but its OUTPUT on both the TV and the Sat rec. Why am I not getting sound? I changed the "Input" on the TV to HDMI, and getting pic, but thats it.

hoolign
03-31-2007, 09:46 AM
I'm having the same problem. :mad: I'll be damned if I'm looking through the instructions!

racecar.hotshoe
03-31-2007, 10:02 AM
Hdmi is only video I ran digital cable for sound

hoolign
03-31-2007, 10:05 AM
So I should be able to just run the Audio cables from the HDMI Sat reciever to the TV?

racecar.hotshoe
03-31-2007, 10:07 AM
So I should be able to just run the Audio cables from the HDMI Sat reciever to the TV?
Yes sir

racecar.hotshoe
03-31-2007, 10:10 AM
I have rca to the tv and the digital ran to the surround system

hoolign
03-31-2007, 10:15 AM
I have rca to the tv and the digital ran to the surround system
No cable TV out here in the sticks! Just Sat.

racecar.hotshoe
03-31-2007, 10:17 AM
No cable TV out here in the sticks! Just Sat.
I have Direct TV sat

gramps
03-31-2007, 10:24 AM
Not if you have Dish Network. Their latest software download (L4.01) for the vip622 receiver uses the HDMI for both audio, DD 5.1 and video.

racecar.hotshoe
03-31-2007, 10:27 AM
Not is you have Dish Network. Their latest software download (L4.01) for the vip622 receiver uses the HDMI for both audio, DD 5.1 and video.
Didnt you read hes in the sticks.............:D

gramps
03-31-2007, 10:34 AM
Didnt you read hes in the sticks.............:D
Hell, I'd bet I'm futher out in the sticks than him............Dish Network is sat. not cable.

Wet Dream
04-01-2007, 07:35 AM
Thanks for the the replies guys. Stupid me, I read the HDMI package and it has "SUPERIOR VIDEO, SUPERIOR SOUND" printed on the package, so I figured it did both. Who knew? I have DirecTv also, I'll run RCA's to the Tv like it is, and check out the digital to the surround.

phebus
04-01-2007, 07:40 AM
Okay, I'm lost. Isn't HDMI audio and visual, and DVI just video?
JY, where are you?

Wet Dream
04-01-2007, 07:43 AM
Okay, I'm lost. Isn't HDMI audio and visual, and DVI just video?
Thats what I thought, but it appears I'm to look like an idiot. :D

phebus
04-01-2007, 07:55 AM
Thats what I thought, but it appears I'm to look like an idiot. :D
Nope, I'm running a HDMI cable from my Dish reciever and getting audio and video. With my old cable box, you could run DVI, but needed seperate audio cable. Something is not set up right, or there is a compatibiliy issue between your set and box with the HDMI cable

blown65
04-01-2007, 07:57 AM
ya, HDMI does both audio and video. Probably a compatibility issue somewhere.

BobbyB
04-01-2007, 07:58 AM
Are you using the RCA cables to feed the video to the TV?
I too have DirecTV. I just had the HD dish and DVR installed a couple of weeks ago. Gotta love that DiscoveryHD channel:D I have the HDMI cables feeding the video to the TV, and then I used the RCA cables to feed audio to the TV. It's the same as using the S-Video cable on; you still need to feed the audio from a seperate set of cables. I don't have the surround hooked up yet, so I can't say how to hook that up yet. I too thought that the HDMI jack fed video and audio, until I hooked it up:messedup: It sounds like there are a couple of different ways to hook it up, depending on what components you have taking feed. I just have it the simple way for now. Hopfully I will get the cables in the walls for the surround soon, then I can come back here and figure out how to hook it up.

shueman
04-01-2007, 08:02 AM
Nope, I'm running a HDMI cable from my Dish reciever and getting audio and video. With my old cable box, you could run DVI, but needed seperate audio cable. Something is not set up right, or there is a compatibiliy issue between your set and box with the HDMI cable
Yep...maybe the TV audio setup has to be changed in the correct input source..:idea:

photo chick
04-01-2007, 08:10 AM
Dial 1-800-comeinstallthisthingforme
It worked for me :D :D

Parker Dreamin
04-01-2007, 09:24 AM
i use HDMI for video and fiber optics for audio....

Fire Angler
04-01-2007, 09:28 AM
Exactly. :)

racecar.hotshoe
04-01-2007, 10:22 AM
Me to!

One Particular Harbor
04-01-2007, 10:34 AM
Previous poster was correct, principle difference between HDMI and DVI is that DVI is video-only. HDMI will carrier a digital audio signal between the receiver and the monitor/television.
You should not have to run a separate audio cable.
OPH

Wet Dream
04-01-2007, 11:50 AM
Gotta love that DiscoveryHD channel:D
How awesome is Planet Earth on HD Discovery? I can't get enough.

racecar.hotshoe
04-01-2007, 12:23 PM
Previous poster was correct, principle difference between HDMI and DVI is that DVI is video-only. HDMI will carrier a digital audio signal between the receiver and the monitor/television.
OPH
This maybe true put it doesnt work on my 50in Panasonic Vista with Direct tv or with my Playststion 3........

ROZ
04-01-2007, 12:40 PM
Sometimes there are still compatibility issues, but most of the time it works. Not all receivers switch HDMI smoothly as well... HDMI is a/v... DVI is video only. I still use component cables since I sometimes wire for long in wall runs; However, I do use HDMI if I'm only going really short distances(dvd to tv within 10ft).
I would not run an analog(RCA) cable if I didn't have to. Digital coax or optical for audio, and either really good component cables or HDMI for video...

BobbyB
04-01-2007, 12:41 PM
fiber optics is for the surround sound receiver?
How awesome is Planet Earth on HD Discovery? I can't get enough.
You ain't joke'n. I've watched the Pole to Pole, and the Oceans, but havent had time for the rest. Got'em set to Tivo.
OPH I was unaware of this, but it makes sense. I'll give it another try when I get home.
This maybe true put it doesnt work on my 50in Panasonic Vista with Direct tv or with my Playststion 3........
Me too. I will have to get back to this thread after I do an experiment or two.

blown65
04-01-2007, 03:23 PM
You ain't joke'n. I've watched the Pole to Pole, and the Oceans, but havent had time for the rest. Got'em set to Tivo.
I was unaware of this, but it makes sense. I'll give it another try when I get home.
Me too. I will have to get back to this thread after I do an experiment or two.
Also you will get better sound with the HDMI vs Fiber Optic depending on the source. Like with HD-DVD for example, there are some audio modes that aren't available thru the optical output.

BobbyB
04-01-2007, 09:50 PM
Also you will get better sound with the HDMI vs Fiber Optic depending on the source. Like with HD-DVD for example, there are some audio modes that aren't available thru the optical output.
10-4, thanks for the info.
As soon as the wife is done watching the Amazing Race, I will commence switching wires

ROZ
04-01-2007, 10:49 PM
Also you will get better sound with the HDMI vs Fiber Optic depending on the source.
Better sound, as in better quality of sound? Really? I thought the saying was glass kicks ass... :confused: You should see what they're doing with fiber optics these days....

blown65
04-02-2007, 07:46 AM
Better sound, as in better quality of sound? Really? I thought the saying was glass kicks ass... :confused: You should see what they're doing with fiber optics these days....
Just depends I guess. I'm not an expert on it, but with my hddvd player it wont do lossless audio thru optical. It will however thru hdmi.

thmper321
04-02-2007, 06:45 PM
Glass is good as long as the run isn't too long then you need a repeater. I have seen no noticeable difference in coax vs. optic in my case. Also I just wired a home theater for a friend and the HDMI cable worked for audio as well as video. I read somewhere that there is a new spec of HDMI that does allow audio but the equipment has to be new enough to accept it.

Parker Dreamin
04-02-2007, 07:46 PM
I have the HDMI running from my HD-DVR Directv box to my Sony SXRD 50" LCD for video and audio. I then run Fiber optics from the DVR to my Bose surround sound. Both runs are less then 6 feet.