PDA

View Full Version : Boat Problem Need Help

Kiddunot
04-01-2007, 06:17 AM
I was out driving the boat this weekend, went through a shallow area to access a cove, trim up all the way to avoid hitting bottom, accelerate lightly and all of a sudden now my boat is making a crap loud of noise. It does it when it is idling, going forward or backward and really loud when i turn the wheel and accelerate. Does anyone have any ideas as to what it could be? I did happen to notice when i am on plane and trimmed slightly up it is smooth but as soon as i turn the wheel it makes noise also when trimming up and down.
Thanks for any input.

Havasu Hangin'
04-01-2007, 06:18 AM
I was out driving the boat this weekend, went through a shallow area to access a cove, trim up all the way to avoid hitting bottom, accelerate lightly and all of a sudden now my boat is making a crap loud of noise. It does it when it is idling, going forward or backward and really loud when i turn the wheel and accelerate. Does anyone have any ideas as to what it could be? I did happen to notice when i am on plane and trimmed slightly up it is smooth but as soon as i turn the wheel it makes noise also when trimming up and down.
Thanks for any input.
Sounds like the u-joint, to me.

hoolign
04-01-2007, 06:22 AM
You may have sucked up a midget, and by the sounds of things he has a hammer and is quite upset!

Kiddunot
04-01-2007, 06:40 AM
That is what i was thinking as well, now the question is if i have a 6 year outdrive warranty and its a volvo, do you think it will be covered under warranty?Sounds like the u-joint, to me.

phebus
04-01-2007, 06:50 AM
Did you trim it to the top of the normal trim range, or did you trim it to the top in trailer mode? It does sound like u-joints, and it sounds like it was over trimmed.
I would take it to the dealer, and just say it started making noise. I wouldn't mention running it trimmed up.

76ANTHONY
04-01-2007, 06:58 AM
Did you trim it to the top of the normal trim range, or did you trim it to the top in trailer mode? It does sound like u-joints, and it sounds like it was over trimmed.
I would take it to the dealer, and just say it started making noise. I wouldn't mention running it trimmed up.
i hate ta say it, but this is what i would do:D

Havasu Hangin'
04-01-2007, 06:59 AM
That is what i was thinking as well, now the question is if i have a 6 year outdrive warranty and its a volvo, do you think it will be covered under warranty?
I'm not sure if that is covered under warranty, but I would think so? Phebus has the right idea- I'd take it in, and plead ignorance.
BTW, never run the motor with the drive up (in the water or on the hose)...it will shorten the life of the u-joints.

Baja Big Dog
04-01-2007, 07:56 AM
U Jouints,and expensive...they will see wear marks from over trim....

CARLSON-JET
04-01-2007, 12:13 PM
After you have it looked at and repaired post the results and possibly a pic or two. You might save a few others a headache. Sorry about the drive problem. It is early in the season though, so not a loss there if you can take care of it. Again good luck. R.B.

ULTRA26 # 1
04-01-2007, 12:37 PM
U-joints. Years ago when I had my Warlock, I rev'd the motor with the drive up, and was all that it took to break a cap. Pretty sure you broke a u-joint. Probably shouldn't run the boat at all until repaired. Not a big deal to replace, I did my own but I would guess no more than $350 if warranty won't cover Just my .02
John M

Jbb
04-01-2007, 12:45 PM
A permanent solution...:D
http://www.americanturbine.com/images/products/jets/AT309s.jpg

OCMerrill
04-01-2007, 12:51 PM
You may have sucked up a midget, and by the sounds of things he has a hammer and is quite upset!
Speaking of sucking up a midget...That will indeed do a better job than an OD.:D

Havasu Hangin'
04-01-2007, 01:45 PM
How can you not love a drive that can end your day with something as simple as a Hefty bag?
:jawdrop:

Jbb
04-01-2007, 02:14 PM
How can you not love a drive that can end your day with something as simple as a Hefty bag?
:jawdrop:
Jeffy...dont be a hater.....I have been driving jets a long time...never had a bag do any thing to my day.....but I have sure seen it ruin a few stern drive boaters days...:jawdrop: .. no water....= bad day/ ruined motor:jawdrop:
Mybe we dont have as many bags in the water here.....
Maybe you should round up a few hundred thousand of those Illegal pieces of shit sucking you're infrastructure.....and economy dry......and have them patrol the lake .......for hefty bags....:D

Havasu Hangin'
04-01-2007, 02:42 PM
....I have been driving jets a long time...
I think the Sea Doo intakes must be smaller? :jawdrop:
I have had friend's jets get diabled by rocks, Hefty bags, ropes...and yes, bad driveshafts.
If you want to own a boat that uses the same technology as a garden hose...then more power to you (parden the expression...lol)
:D

Jbb
04-01-2007, 02:44 PM
I think the Sea Doo intakes must be smaller? :jawdrop:
I have had friend's jets get diabled by rocks, Hefty bags, ropes...and yes, bad driveshafts.
If you want to own a boat that uses the same technology as a garden hose...then more power to you (parden the expression...lol)
:D
You have friends....? :p

Nord
04-01-2007, 02:46 PM
Sounds like the U-joint like everyone else said. It could be the gimble bearing as well, do you service the outdrive yearly or every other year???
BTW, add my biz to your myspace, I sent the addy from the Corral :)
~NORD~