PDA

View Full Version : This boat bad idea for Havasu?

bigq
04-01-2007, 07:51 AM
22 daytona to shallow, the older version not the new one. It looks like they are deeper then say a DCB 22.
http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/5/1/88131551.htm

SurfOnH20
04-01-2007, 08:37 AM
What a clean setup !! Dang that is a MILF of an older boat..:sqeyes:

Not So Fast
04-01-2007, 08:55 AM
Yes its deeper than a DCB, my son has one and to say it handles Havasu on a Saturday is a stretch, you can do it but ???? Other than that a fun boat. His is very clean with a 454 and runs about 70. The one your looking at has some very nice and expensive add-ons, little high $$ but it sure looks nice to me. You get what you pay for. NSF

TCHB
04-01-2007, 09:24 AM
On the weekends (bumpy water) this boat will get beat up due to the size. During the week days no problem with the smaller boat.

bigq
04-01-2007, 09:28 AM
Is the blackhawk drive the one that is a cross between a Bravo and a surface drive? Looks like a fun boat.;)

hava life
04-01-2007, 09:28 AM
Nice looking boat. It may be a little small but you can always get around the lake closer to the shore or go up river. I have seen smaller at the sandbar:D

Daytona100
04-01-2007, 10:39 AM
Is the blackhawk drive the one that is a cross between a Bravo and a surface drive? Looks like a fun boat.;)
Thats the one. Should haul ass hardly any drive hanging in the water. Not to sure about part availability if it breaks. Might want to call around.

beaverretriever
04-01-2007, 10:55 AM
Blackhawk drives are cool, but parts are far and few between and don't handle a lot of HP. I have a buddy running that drive with a little over 450hp and has torn some stuff up time to time.
That boat is definitely a looker for the yr. The tripple axle trailer is total baller style.:D

whiteworks
04-01-2007, 11:15 AM
looks righteous to me. good colors, sweet trailer. Ten years ago a 22 daytona was a good size boat on havi. just a matter of perspective I guess. not sure about the maintenence issues with that drive.

HocusPocus
04-01-2007, 11:30 AM
i still run around the lake with a friend in his 21' daytona, i wouldn't have to think twice about buying a 22' if i was in the market for a daytona.

Lavey29
04-01-2007, 11:48 AM
22 daytona to shallow, the older version not the new one. It looks like they are deeper then say a DCB 22.
http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/5/1/88131551.htm
I had that exact same set up in a 1995 22' Daytona. The blackhawk drives take a long time to plane and I used to have to have everyone stand up near the front of the cabin area to get it to roll over. I had the second one that Eliminator made and it was Bob's boat. What is nice about the motor drive combo though is how efficient it is. It will run over 90mph with a stock 502 and 31" props. I used the 29" and would run 85mph all day on good water. It gets great fuel economy also. I would go 3 days and not fill up. Does not handle the really rough water well though and you will get beat up and have to stay under 60mph. There is zero steering torque due to the counter rotation of the props. I had the boat for 3 years and liked the set up.

Lavey29
04-01-2007, 11:52 AM
Yes Big, the Blackhawk is a cross between but more of a surface drive. There is only 60lbs of drag in the water with the Blackhawk. They run a little fast at idle speed though due to 2 props counter spinning. It is a little tricky around the docks and channel but nothing you can't get used to.

dumbandyoung
04-01-2007, 01:18 PM
very clean. Nace to see a 22 with a different gel scheme.
http://images.traderonline.com/EMedia/tarchive2/6/14400176453000019_1.jpg

Sherpa
04-01-2007, 02:12 PM
that boat shows the owner took god care of it....... looks really nice.
all the talk of too small for havi........ I guess small is in the eye of the beholder, and not everybody needs to do 95mph during 3 foot chop on a
busy weekend.......
--Sherpa

Sherpa
04-01-2007, 02:12 PM
that boat shows the owner took good care of it....... looks really nice.
all the talk of too small for havi........ I guess small is in the eye of the beholder, and not everybody needs to do 95mph during 3 foot chop on a
busy weekend.......
--Sherpa

Sigus
04-01-2007, 03:23 PM
Big
If this is Rod's boat I know the boat and owner well. Rod is a freak about keeping his stuff up. The trailer has some neat mod's as well.
I had a 22 Daytona at Havasu for many years. It's a great boat when the water is not confused, when you add a lot of boats and wind you have to pay attention.
surface drive is not to quick out of the hole but once it's out it is one hell of a ride. I spoke with Jerry at Eliminator about this setup and he said it was the only way to rig a 22.
Concerning parts for the drive they are sparse but not imposable to find.
If you are serious about this boat you have to a ask yourself what you are going to use it for. Skiing not so good. Top end the best.
good luck and have fun

STVBOY
04-01-2007, 04:20 PM
With tunnel tabs on that boat it can handle every weekend on Havasu.The boat is a totally different boat with them on.Without them it could seem a little bumpy at times.With tabs you can run with the 25's out there.

dschifan
04-01-2007, 10:31 PM
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b102/buffguy22/bbbbb.jpg
mine is 1996, i love the boat, it can handle havasu on a bad day once you learn the boat and are able to play with the trim well. forget about running 60 plus through the real nasty havasu stuff but even with a 25 you can't do that very well. parker or anywhere up river towards topak, you can run it wide open.

bigq
04-02-2007, 07:22 AM
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b102/buffguy22/bbbbb.jpg
mine is 1996, i love the boat, it can handle havasu on a bad day once you learn the boat and are able to play with the trim well. forget about running 60 plus through the real nasty havasu stuff but even with a 25 you can't do that very well. parker or anywhere up river towards topak, you can run it wide open.
Looks like it has some nice freeboard when sitting in water, or is that just from the outboard?
Thanks for all the replies I will look into the drive more. I am conerned about the parts issue...
I have also seen a few 24' in this price range so I might wait and see if one comes up later. The blackhawk would be cool though, little different.;)

EliminatorXP
04-02-2007, 07:43 AM
Im pretty sure I looked at this boat about a year ago out in Havasu, it was a clean boat just seemed the price was a bit high. I think he was asking closer to 40K when I looked at it but I could be mistaken.

desertbird
04-02-2007, 08:35 AM
hmm.....32K for an 11 year old boat? I think he's probably making some money, but it sure looks nice!
I test drove a few of the 22+ foot Daytona's before I bought the Lavey you see in the sig. The blackhawk drive is neat, but I was scared about "polishing" the prop at the sandbar.....
One more thing to consider is insurance.....it's a cat, and most companies will charge the $hit out of you for it. That alone was my deciding factor when I chose the Mod-Vee. She's just as fast as the Daytona, but much cheaper to insure! :jawdrop:

dschifan
04-02-2007, 01:06 PM
hmm.....32K for an 11 year old boat? I think he's probably making some money, but it sure looks nice!
I test drove a few of the 22+ foot Daytona's before I bought the Lavey you see in the sig. The blackhawk drive is neat, but I was scared about "polishing" the prop at the sandbar.....
One more thing to consider is insurance.....it's a cat, and most companies will charge the $hit out of you for it. That alone was my deciding factor when I chose the Mod-Vee. She's just as fast as the Daytona, but much cheaper to insure! :jawdrop:
32k for that boat is well worth it depending on condition, especially since a new 22 daytona is over 85k. as far as insurance goes, i pay 285 a year to insure my daytona. i use to have a sebring just like yours the 20.8 mod vp with an outboard, nice boat, just terrible ride and not as fast as the daytona.

dschifan
04-02-2007, 01:09 PM
Looks like it has some nice freeboard when sitting in water, or is that just from the outboard?
Thanks for all the replies I will look into the drive more. I am conerned about the parts issue...
I have also seen a few 24' in this price range so I might wait and see if one comes up later. The blackhawk would be cool though, little different.;)
it actually sits really high, almost like the 25. i have yet to take a roller over the transom, everyone stays real dry.
here is a pic on the water
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b102/buffguy22/bb2.jpg

Deano
04-02-2007, 01:37 PM
Those drives are pretty cool. I have seen one cut in half and the guy installed a max machine gear set with a carrier. He also kept blowing lowers until he vented the props.
I have heard/read that those drives are an average of 10mph faster than a bravo. They are great for boats that don't need positive trim to fly.