PDA

View Full Version : Metal Tire Valve Stems

KahunaJuice
04-01-2007, 11:02 PM
I would like to hear some feedback on metal tire valve stems.
Just like several others, I have also blown 6 to 7 tires on my trailer. A couple of times in the process of checking the air in my tires, I have notice the rubber valve stem leaking and about to break off.
Could that be part of my problem? The valve stems are leaking and breaking off causing my tires to go flat and have me thinking it was a blow out?
Therefore, I am thinking of replacing all seven (7) to metal.

Cole Sanger
04-02-2007, 03:46 AM
From my own experience YES. I am not talking about trailer tires, but I had a Honda Civic with low profile tires. I had 3 flat tires in 6 months. Come to find out, the valve stems were bending at freeway speeds and letting air out. The real problem ended up being two things - 1. The valve stem was bending due to them being rubber. 2. The valve stem holes were oval at the base and Discount Tire was putting in round valve stems.

Havasu Hangin'
04-02-2007, 03:53 AM
I've got metal. Of the seven, two have slow leaks, but are still better than rubber. I check my air pressure before every trip, and can always count on adding to those two.
If your rubber stems are leaking bad enough to cause a pressure drop while towing (and cause tire failure), I would think you would know it before you left- the tires would go flat over one day while stored.

YeLLowBoaT
04-02-2007, 04:07 AM
I've never had a rubber stem go bad on me, but I've had more then one ripped out by Some Jack a$$... thats more then enough reason to go metal...

infotraker
04-02-2007, 06:14 AM
I've not had any trouble on the boat trailer but changing to metal on the RV, Putting valve stem airless extender on the back duals so neet metal stems for the added weight.

THOR
04-02-2007, 06:21 AM
That is all I run now on my trailers. The rubber cracks, creates a slow leak, tires gets low, then the tire gets hot and BAM!

One Particular Harbor
04-02-2007, 07:15 AM
We don't do a lot of trailering. From the locker, to the ramp, and back. However, we went to pull the trailer out of the locker at the beginning of last season and one of the tires was way down. Turns out that the rubber valve stem had dried out and cracked and the other three were in similar, bad shape.
Replaced them with all metal stems and, though it's only been a year, they seem to be holding up well with no leaks. Likely have the replace the tires this year or next, though, and will have them transfer the stems over.
Was an inexpensive fix at Discount Tires by the way.
OPH

BobbyB
04-02-2007, 07:22 AM
I used to slap tires on vehicles at a high volume at a well known warehouse club, and I gotta say that 99% of all tire problems are caused by underinflation. Slow leaks from nails, screws, valve stems, beads can be the worst cuz it leaks so slow that you don't notice it 'til the tire is ruined, or worse blown-out. There are quite a few tire places out there that will just reuse your old stems. A good indicator to watch for, if they are deflating the tires for removal by taking out the core instead of just popping the stem out with a puller. It's good to ask if the installation includes them; the ones that do replace them will usually charge for it. When I first started there, I used to think people were stupid for asking, but after I understood. Metal stems can be just as bad as the rubber if not installed properly (meaning more than finger tight). I guess the only fullproof thing is your tire pressure gauge. This is way more information than you prolly wanted, chalk it up to venting of useless knowledge. I can't wait for the tire balancing thread! Thanks for the outlet:D

Havasu Luvr
04-02-2007, 07:24 AM
Rubber stems usually dry rot (sp?) after a few season so I had the steel stems put on my trailer. looks good but the rubber washer dries out just as fast and developes slow leakers (snail bubbles around the base). I just take a 9/16" deep socket and loosen it and then re-tighten it, this usually does the trick for another season....:D

roostwear
04-02-2007, 07:25 AM
I've had 2 rubber valve stems fail at speed and took out the tire each time. One was less than a week old! I have metal stems on everything now... it's been a couple years now, and no problems

spectratoad
04-02-2007, 07:52 AM
I haven't done it on anyof my stuff but it sounds like a good idea for STREET stuff. I wouldn't do it for anything that goes offroad though. Catch it on wood or rock and it breaks instead of bending.
Haven't had any problems yet though with my rubbers.

KahunaJuice
04-02-2007, 11:17 AM
Thanks, to each and everyone. The information is GREAT.

Baja Big Dog
04-02-2007, 03:13 PM
Metal.....dont rot and wont break when someone steps on the rim at the launch ramp....

trawfish
04-02-2007, 09:05 PM
Worked at Discount Tire for 14 years, I can say your'e damned either way (depending) Yes, rubber valves dry out, they are very easy to break off and unless they are drilled facing directly towards the center (not on an angle or on the bent part of the wheel) they will flex at high speed. Although you have to spin them pretty damn fast to get them to fail. As someone obove pointed out they are usually torn when installed or the hole is oval or reemed.
Metal valves are way more prone to having slow leaks. The rubber seals almost never have a proper surface to seal on and they are very easy to install wrong.
In the case of trailers I would say that metal stems are a better choice, you just have to make sure you start out with good air pressure. Metal stems won't pop out and instantly go flat causing immediate failure, and they won't (usually) break off when something hits them.
Just my .02

KahunaJuice
04-02-2007, 11:55 PM
What is the correct way for installation of the metal valves.

Rexone
04-03-2007, 12:53 AM
Metal is the only way to go. Seen many rotted rubber stems over the years.

trawfish
04-11-2007, 11:03 PM
Metal valves are way more prone to having slow leaks. The rubber seals almost never have a proper surface to seal on and they are very easy to install wrong.
What is the correct way for installation of the metal valves.
By installed wrong, I mean the rubber grommet is sometimes mis-aligned, put on the wrong side, put on backwards, over tightened or under tightened. If the seal surface for the grommet is not flat the valve will hold in the begining, but eventually leak. I would still choose them over rubber though....

cudaz101
04-12-2007, 05:59 AM
Rubber valves are getting a bad rap here IMO....Been in the tire business for many years and I would call it rare for one to fail unless it was abused in some way or simply rotten due to age & exposure.
Although with trailor tires and anything else with high-pressure style brass stem will work great. You don't even have to worry about the dink at X-Tire shop installing it wrong because it installs just like a rubber stem does. They are used in alot of the 3/4 ton and up trucks with steel wheels. The only problem is finding a shop that will even have a clue of what the hell it is.
Good luck with that.
Follow this link and at the bottom of the page you will se an illustration of a High-Pressure valve.
http://www.excaliburwheel.com/carvalves.html
Cheers,
Brad

KahunaJuice
10-31-2007, 03:19 AM
Rubber valves are getting a bad rap here IMO....Been in the tire business for many years and I would call it rare for one to fail unless it was abused in some way or simply rotten due to age & exposure.
Although with trailor tires and anything else with high-pressure style brass stem will work great. You don't even have to worry about the dink at X-Tire shop installing it wrong because it installs just like a rubber stem does. They are used in alot of the 3/4 ton and up trucks with steel wheels. The only problem is finding a shop that will even have a clue of what the hell it is.
Good luck with that.
Follow this link and at the bottom of the page you will se an illustration of a High-Pressure valve.
http://www.excaliburwheel.com/carvalves.html
Cheers,
Brad
:idea: :idea: :idea:

Sun burners
10-31-2007, 09:07 PM
Last month my tow vehicle with metal stems left me stranded in front of my house, cranked down on the nut filled with air and good to go.
I get to Havasu and my Suburban with rubber stems has a flat WTF what are the odds of that. SUPER GLUE was a temp fix to get me to the tire shop.
So they both went south!

BoatPI
11-01-2007, 04:20 AM
Many police cars come with stainless steel valve stems installed from the factory. Stainless is much stronger that the chromed brass stems that many custom wheels have. Experts opinion??