PDA

View Full Version : Havasu Parking On Streets 4 Sale

SummerBreeze
04-02-2007, 07:04 AM
I heard last night that you can't park your car or boat or anything for sale 170 feet from the main highway. IS THIS TRUE??

phebus
04-02-2007, 07:19 AM
Yes, there is a new city ordinance that was voted in regarding parking vehicles for sale along the highway, but I don't have the exact details.

CityGuy
04-02-2007, 07:34 AM
Here you go:
ORDINANCE NO. 07-868
AN ORDINANCE OF LAKE HAVASU CITY, ARIZONA, AMENDING “THE CODE OF LAKE HAVASU CITY” BY CREATING ARTICLE III IN CHAPTER 10.16 ENTITLED VEHICLES FOR SALE ON PUBLIC PROPERTY
BE IT ORDAINED, by the Mayor and City Council of Lake Havasu City, Mohave County, Arizona, that the following be added to Chapter 10.16 of the Lake Havasu City Code:
Article III. Vehicles for Sale on Public Property
Section 10.16.100 Vehicles Parked for Sale – Hwy 95 Corridor
No person shall park or permit to be parked a motor vehicle, pickup truck, van, watercraft, ATV, motorcycle, RV, campers, mobile homes, boats, contractor’s equipment, farm equipment, trailer, or similar unit (herein vehicles) for the purpose of displaying such vehicle for sale upon any right-of-way or publicly owned property within the Hwy 95 Corridor. The Hwy 95 Corridor is defined as an area extending 170 feet perpendicular from the centerline of Hwy 95 for its entire length within the corporate boundaries of Lake Havasu City.
This section shall not apply to:
1. The display of vehicles for sale on property owned by a state licensed vehicle sales business operating in conformance with local zoning and business license requirements.
2. The display of vehicles on public property under authority of a special event permit or other agreement approved by the Lake Havasu City Council.
3. The display of vehicles on residential zoned areas within the Hwy 95 Corridor provided:
a. The display of a vehicle shall be limited to the area immediately in front of and adjoining the property owned by the owner of the vehicle
b. The vehicle must not be displayed for sale except from dawn to dusk
c. No more than one vehicle may be displayed for sale at any time
4. Where the display of vehicles is allowed by this section, the parking of vehicles must comply with all requirements of Chapter 10.14 (Parking) of the Code of Lake Havasu City.
5. The display of any signs or other markings indicating that a vehicle is for sale shall be prima facie evidence that the vehicle has been parked for the purpose of sale.
Section 10.16.110 Authority to Erect Signs and Expand Enforcement
Area
The City Manager is authorized to expand the area to which this section applies based on hazardous and/or unlawful conditions, including, but not limited to: double parking of vehicles, parking on a corner blocking sight distance, blocking of lake/mountain views of adjoining residential development, slowing of traffic, unnecessary congestion, erratic/conflicting vehicle moments, and preservation of the appearance and character of a neighborhood as associated with the parking of vehicles for sale.
The Public Works Director shall be authorized to place and maintain traffic control devices, signs, and signals as required under the traffic regulations of the City to make effective the provisions of this section and may place additional traffic control measures as he may deem necessary to regulate, guide, or warn the public.
Section 10.16.120 Administration
Administration of this section shall be carried out as provided in Sections 10.04.010 to 10.04.100 of this chapter.
PASSED AND ADOPTED by the Mayor and City Council of Lake Havasu City, Arizona, this 27th day of February, 2007.
Charlie

phebus
04-02-2007, 07:40 AM
When does the ordinance go into effect?

SummitKarl
04-02-2007, 07:51 AM
When does the ordinance go into effect?
I believe that was Saturday....3-31-07--I have never taken anything down there for sale but was planning on it soon ...soooooo of course the city comes up with a ordinance against it just as I plan to do the same as everyone else in town has been doing for years:mad: :rolleyes:
it's good and bad in my book.....I am sure it contributes to a few accidents along that part of H-95, but it's always been a good place to find things for private sales all in one spot without running all over town. and I know the Ford dealer didn't want the "shit for sale" parked there but...I think he may be slitting his own throat a bit...being as I am sure he has got more than a few sales from the looky Lou's;)

CityGuy
04-02-2007, 08:09 AM
Karl is correct. The ordinance went into effect this weekend.
CC

phebus
04-02-2007, 08:12 AM
Is there now signage posted along the highway and frontage roads?

Jordy
04-02-2007, 08:13 AM
The Hwy 95 Corridor is defined as an area extending 170 feet perpendicular from the centerline of Hwy 95 for its entire length within the corporate boundaries of Lake Havasu City.
Hey Charlie, they don't think it's going to create more problems with a bunch of people with tape measures playing out in the middle of the highway to measure off the 170' from the centerline??? :jawdrop: :idea: :eek: :D :D :D

SummitKarl
04-02-2007, 08:25 AM
the real problem will be for those measuring the distance off in "cubits":D

Ziggy
04-02-2007, 08:51 AM
Sounds like a decent idea to me........

CityGuy
04-02-2007, 09:08 AM
Signs are posted.
Obviously, this ordinance is intended for the frontage roads along the highway, particularly Countryshire and Fremont. The problem isn't so much the vehicles parked on the street for sale. It's the accidents and the near-misses on the side streets caused by drivers suddenly stopping, backing, or turning around to get a phone number or a better look at something that catches their eye. Pedestrians not looking out for traffic are another issue.
It's a matter of public safety for the City (but could present an entrepreneurial opportunity for some enterprizing individual).
Charlie

SHOTKALLIN
04-02-2007, 09:22 AM
Signs are posted.
Obviously, this ordinance is intended for the frontage roads along the highway, particularly Countryshire and Fremont. The problem isn't so much the vehicles parked on the street for sale. It's the accidents and the near-misses on the side streets caused by drivers suddenly stopping, backing, or turning around to get a phone number or a better look at something that catches their eye. Pedestrians not looking out for traffic are another issue.
It's a matter of public safety for the City (but could present an entrepreneurial opportunity for some enterprizing individual).
Charlie
hey CITYGUY how come you don't post in some of the more important threads where people would actually be really appreciative for a response from the city point of view. It seems that you lurk alot but are afraid to chime in. Example; there have been threads regarding the parking in the channel due to the seawall construction.

CityGuy
04-02-2007, 10:21 AM
hey CITYGUY how come you don't post in some of the more important threads where people would actually be really appreciative for a response from the city point of view. It seems that you lurk alot but are afraid to chime in. Example; there have been threads regarding the parking in the channel due to the seawall construction.
If you left-click on my screen name, you can read my previous posts which I try to keep pertinent to City issues (including the Channel wall). I'm happy to answer any questions you have that haven't already been covered. I have provided my personal contact information here and in previous posts because I cannot spend much time on this forum.
Regards -
Charlie Cassens
cassensc@lhcaz.gov
928-854-4212

SummitKarl
04-02-2007, 11:05 AM
Signs are posted.
Charlie
:idea: Summit does own the lot next to Indigo Joes:D

IDRPSTF
04-02-2007, 11:35 AM
Its about time. I feel for the owner of Bradley Ford and all of the rest of the dealers on that road. And for the homeowners near South Acoma. Paying for Hwy frontage, dealing with zoning laws as a dealer, and then dealing with Havasu City's Signage laws... only to have someone park a 40 motorhome blocking the view of 10,000 cars per day because its a public street???? I have seen Fords in from of Ford and Mitsu's in front of Luzzi. That to me takes some stones to make your sale a biproduct of someone elses hard work and money to set up ligitimatly.
With this new law in effect, whomever organizes a weekend "For sale by owner" lot stands to make a grip of money! Any takers?

Baja Big Dog
04-02-2007, 03:10 PM
Its about time. I feel for the owner of Bradley Ford and all of the rest of the dealers on that road. And for the homeowners near South Acoma. Paying for Hwy frontage, dealing with zoning laws as a dealer, and then dealing with Havasu City's Signage laws... only to have someone park a 40 motorhome blocking the view of 10,000 cars per day because its a public street???? I have seen Fords in from of Ford and Mitsu's in front of Luzzi. That to me takes some stones to make your sale a biproduct of someone elses hard work and money to set up ligitimatly.
With this new law in effect, whomever organizes a weekend "For sale by owner" lot stands to make a grip of money! Any takers?
WOW, and to those of us that have been in Havasu since the days when they made chainsaws, (newbies remember that?), this is just another nail in the "Newport Beach East" coffin.
For those of us that pay taxes that support the public streets that we like to use to sell cars, boats, and yes even RHINO"S on this is of no surprise.

shueman
04-02-2007, 03:29 PM
Well, you could go out north on 95, past the city limit sign, and park anything you want for sale. Might turn into a weekly event...:D

Ziggy
04-02-2007, 04:14 PM
Well, you could go out north on 95, past the city limit sign, and park anything you want for sale. Might turn into a weekly event...:D
Or down by SARA park

jammin
04-02-2007, 05:09 PM
COME ON FELLOW CITIZENS DO YOU THINK THAT IS REALLY WHAT THIS IS ABOUT.
I am really flattered to know that the City is so concerned about my safety while looking at cars along the highway! I'm also sure Bradley Ford had a lot to do with this, I hope their employees don't get hit by the traffic when they park their cars there now. If Bradley doesn't have room for their employees to park on site maybe they need a larger facility but of course that would have a higher tax base also I'm sure it is aggravating losing sales of their overpriced stock to citizens resales.
Also, since the city is so concerned about our welfare maybe they should consider all the trucks and misc equipment parked all over the streets of Lake Havasu ie semi trucks, motor homes being serviced by shops with no room to park them on site, UPS, semi trailers not connected to the tractor, shipping containers off the truck and on the road etc. etc. Take a look behind Wall mart any day or Acoma West of the highway any day.
Anyone could dash out from between these and be hit buy a car or a car could hit one of these vehicles because they are not completely of the driving surface but our City Council did nothing about this when considering our welfare on our streets.
If you haven't noticed yet this City is driven by the business owners and to hell with the citizens.

Rvr Swpr
04-02-2007, 05:11 PM
If you left-click on my screen name, you can read my previous posts which I try to keep pertinent to City issues (including the Channel wall). I'm happy to answer any questions you have that haven't already been covered. I have provided my personal contact information here and in previous posts because I cannot spend much time on this forum.
Regards -
Charlie Cassens
cassensc@lhcaz.gov
928-854-4212
Your posts are appreciated.

bigkyle
04-02-2007, 08:39 PM
From what I have read in the newspaper, it seems that the local car dealers are upset with all the private sales. I don't blame them. Interestingly though, we tried to accomplish the same thing in the city I work for, but our attorney indicated that the Supreme Court found the sale of vehicles on a public highway to be a free speech issue, thus it can not be enforced. I'm sure it was the Federal court, but maybe it was the Cali court, I don't recall. :sleeping:
We'll have to wait and see.

phebus
04-02-2007, 08:45 PM
From what I have read in the newspaper, it seems that the local car dealers are upset with all the private sales. I don't blame them. Interestingly though, we tried to accomplish the same thing in the city I work for, but our attorney indicated that the Supreme Court found the sale of vehicles on a public highway to be a free speech issue, thus it can not be enforced. I'm sure it was the Federal court, but maybe it was the Cali court, I don't recall. :sleeping:
We'll have to wait and see.
The way the issue was presented in Havasu was that it was a safety issue, as there were people stopping in the roadway to look at vehicles and read signs, and there were pedestrians darting out in traffic.
Yes, there is no doubt the issue was also business driven, but that was not the way the city council went about passing the ordinance.
There's more then one way to skin a cat, and I think the ordinance is a good one.

BadKachina
04-02-2007, 08:46 PM
Signs are posted.
Charlie
Do you have data from a study showing the increase of accidents caused by vehicles for sale on the side of the highway?

bigkyle
04-02-2007, 08:51 PM
The way the issue was presented in Havasu was that it was a safety issue, as there were people stopping in the roadway to look at vehicles and read signs, and there were pedestrians darting out in traffic.
Yes, there is no doubt the issue was also business driven, but that was not the way the city council went about passing the ordinance.
There's more then one way to skin a cat, and I think the ordinance is a good one.
I'm not suggesting it's a bad ordinance, in fact, I used the same safety argument in attempting to draft a similar ordinance. Attorneys wouldn't buy it, free speech tends to dominate other concerns. We eliminated the problem by instituting no parking.

shadow
04-02-2007, 09:13 PM
COME ON FELLOW CITIZENS DO YOU THINK THAT IS REALLY WHAT THIS IS ABOUT.
I am really flattered to know that the City is so concerned about my safety while looking at cars along the highway! I'm also sure Bradley Ford had a lot to do with this, I hope their employees don't get hit by the traffic when they park their cars there now. If Bradley doesn't have room for their employees to park on site maybe they need a larger facility but of course that would have a higher tax base also I'm sure it is aggravating losing sales of their overpriced stock to citizens resales.
Also, since the city is so concerned about our welfare maybe they should consider all the trucks and misc equipment parked all over the streets of Lake Havasu ie semi trucks, motor homes being serviced by shops with no room to park them on site, UPS, semi trailers not connected to the tractor, shipping containers off the truck and on the road etc. etc. Take a look behind Wall mart any day or Acoma West of the highway any day.
Anyone could dash out from between these and be hit buy a car or a car could hit one of these vehicles because they are not completely of the driving surface but our City Council did nothing about this when considering our welfare on our streets.
If you haven't noticed yet this City is driven by the business owners and to hell with the citizens.
Bradley employee here,i've never had a parking issue yet but thanks for your concern if we do decide to park on that part of the road.;)
Actually theres plenty of parking for the employees out back.On a side note
i can vouch for the saftey,traffic hazzard issue cause i drive that stretch several times a day and it can be a cluster **** with people parking thier stuff for sale,slowing for numbers and making U turns in the middle of the Rd.Not defending The Dealership or Tire store but i would imagine if you spend Big $$ for prime frontage along the HWY and big $$ for signage to advertise your bussiness then someone pulls up and parks some pile of shit in front of your $$ investment,signage i can see the frustration.Sure people pay taxes and should be able to park vehicles for sale on the street but how about in front of thier own bussiness or house?How would people respond with a used car lot in front of thier own buss or home?
Personally i think the line of crap for sale along the HWY looks Ghetto and i'll be happy to see it all gone.Whats wrong with paying a few bucks and using the Auto/boat/RV/Rhino/Dunebuggy/cycle,etc,etc Trader?

Kilrtoy
04-02-2007, 09:51 PM
I think its all about BUY OUTS.....or is it called pay offs