PDA

View Full Version : Hand held GPS accuracy

Kachina26
04-02-2007, 09:53 PM
My hand held GPS always shows about 3 MPH slow when compared to vehicle speedos. I just chalked it up to the vehicle speedo showing fast, maybe some conspiracy to make us drive slower than we think we are. As a result, I was a little disappointed with my boat's top end GPS speed. Anyway, curiosity finally got the best of my and I timed my truck over a measured mile and found the speedo to be dead nuts on! I did not have my hand held with me, but it brings about the question, can a handheld GPS be wrong? I know it takes a few moments of constant speed to get an accurate reading. I have a Garmin handheld, the blue one.

dicudmore
04-02-2007, 09:57 PM
My hand held GPS always shows about 3 MPH slow when compared to vehicle speedos. I just chalked it up to the vehicle speedo showing fast, maybe some conspiracy to make us drive slower than we think we are. As a result, I was a little disappointed with my boat's top end GPS speed. Anyway, curiosity finally got the best of my and I timed my truck over a measured mile and found the speedo to be dead nuts on! I did not have my hand held with me, but it brings about the question, can a handheld GPS be wrong? I know it takes a few moments of constant speed to get an accurate reading. I have a Garmin handheld, the blue one.
lol all I know is they can't be error-proof--either that or ONE time my boat saw 168.7 MPH :D

Kilrtoy
04-02-2007, 09:59 PM
lol all I know is they can't be error-proof--either that or ONE time my boat saw 18.7 MPH :D
Why did you think it actually went faster.:D :D

dicudmore
04-02-2007, 10:03 PM
Why did you think it actually went faster.:D :D
it might--behind the suburban :D

Kachina26
04-02-2007, 10:07 PM
Hey Mig, I just came up with one I know you haven't heard. Dick Compensation Boat. :D

dicudmore
04-02-2007, 10:10 PM
Hey Mig, I just came up with one I know you haven't heard. Dick Compensation Boat. :D
hmm that is a new one...

Kilrtoy
04-02-2007, 11:09 PM
I haved actually heard that one before., Not common, but not new
I actually prefer
Dusting
Cool
Boats
its a litlte more fitting

Kachina26
04-03-2007, 04:42 AM
I haved actually heard that one before., Not common, but not new
I actually prefer
Dusting
Cool
Boats
its a litlte more fitting
How about Dusty Cool Boats? You know, because of the winter layup. :D

Garrddogg
04-03-2007, 05:37 AM
I bought a cheap GPS unit and it was off by a few(5 to 6) mph, I took it back and spent a few more $ on a better one..

Wild Horses
04-03-2007, 06:48 AM
I bought a cheap GPS unit and it was off by a few(5 to 6) mph, I took it back and spent a few more $ on a better one..
Gary, how many time are you going to change your name. Its tough keeping up in here.:D :D
Clint

phebus
04-03-2007, 06:53 AM
Hey Kilr, Cudmore told me that when he is on the lake, it stands for Dan Cudmores Bitch. :) Something about owning you?

h2oski2fast
04-03-2007, 07:46 AM
GPS readings can vary a bit from one to another. They are sometimes off do to processing time. Borrow a friends GPS and use them both. The most accurate GPSs are the military designed ones, but they are very expensive. The processing time and sample rate are much faster.

clownpuncher
04-03-2007, 04:35 PM
GPS readings can vary a bit from one to another. They are sometimes off do to processing time. Borrow a friends GPS and use them both. The most accurate GPSs are the military designed ones, but they are very expensive. The processing time and sample rate are much faster.
LOL. Only took 12 posts to get an answer that actually pertains to the original question:D :D

Kachina26
04-03-2007, 04:40 PM
LOL. Only took 12 posts to get an answer that actually pertains to the original question:D :D
Post #11 made it all worthwhile :D I'm kinda surprised at the answer though. Kinda relieved too.

ChumpChange
04-03-2007, 04:44 PM
It all depends on if you are traveling with the rotation of the earth or against it. Sometimes your hand-held will pick up Polish satelite frequencies which can be inaccurate.
Post #11 is good, isn't it. :D

vmjtc3
04-03-2007, 05:00 PM
Hey Kilr, Cudmore told me that when he is on the lake, it stands for Dan Cudmores Bitch. :) Something about owning you?
That is some funny shit right there I dont care who you are thats just f'n funny :D

infotraker
04-03-2007, 05:06 PM
I was checking the altitude from the bottom of a canyon to the top. At the top the numbers were jumping around almost 200 hundred feet as I looked at it. Its a new garmin etrex legend cx.

AZJD
04-03-2007, 05:07 PM
So what your saying is my boat is 3mph faster! Alright! :D :D :D