PDA

View Full Version : Online Resume????

blackcloud75
04-03-2007, 04:09 PM
Anybody ever send a resume via email? Or even created one online? Need to send one out and can't figure how to send it so it is presentable.

Ziggy
04-03-2007, 04:15 PM
Anybody ever send a resume via email? Or even created one online? Need to send one out and can't figure how to send it so it is presentable.
As an employer I tend not to appreciate those as I would the person who puts together a fine printed and mailed or hand delivered version.
Different if I search for one on Monster or other sites but the blanket emails that are addressed to 6000 recipients get little attention from me.

blackcloud75
04-03-2007, 04:19 PM
As an employer I tend not to appreciate those as I would the person who puts together a fine printed and mailed or hand delivered version.
Different if I search for one on Monster or other sites but the blanket emails that are addressed to 6000 recipients get little attention from me.
In my current field, resumes are hand delivered so I have never had to use the internet.
Ziggy, what catches your eye when reading these via the web????

riverracerx
04-03-2007, 04:20 PM
I have sent them via email only if I have a reference, (friend works there..got your name, etc..) but never as a cold email. Just make sure you make it a PDF before you send so it is compatible with all systems. Otherwise a funky font will make it look like a 3 year old sent it out.

AZKC
04-03-2007, 04:37 PM
That explains why you never got back to me;)

shueman
04-03-2007, 06:15 PM
Going through this right now. Best approach is direct mail to the hiring manager, once you have them identified. Unsolicited resumes' get little, if any, response.
Posting on company websites to job openings is somewhat effective. Internet Boards usually get you more spam than job leads, unless you respond to a specific posting.
Good suggestion from Chris on the PDF file if it has to be delivered electronically.

Cole Sanger
04-03-2007, 11:19 PM
Best way is to write it in Word and attach it to an e-mail.

TCN
04-04-2007, 05:20 AM
What are you up to Cory?? Windows Vista has several resume options that you can save/send/print whatever.

a catered life
04-04-2007, 06:40 AM
yes i have and if the company states that they accept emailed resumes then it fine but make sure you have a cover letter with the name of the contact person with a brief summary of what you are applying for and what your sending them............
many forward thinking companies accept them now because many people move for a better job or commute to work....if a company is looking for a worthy person to add to their staff how they got your resume shouldnt be a issue what your resume says is
good luck

AZKC
04-04-2007, 07:12 AM
What are you up to Cory?? Windows Vista has several resume options that you can save/send/print whatever.
I've had some trouble with this method, usually I'll send it to myself to double ck it and sometimes the format gets screwed up upon reciept.:confused:

riverracerx
04-04-2007, 08:11 AM
That is why you need a PDF. It won't jack your formatting when sent to another computer. The font Ariel is not the same on every computer either so your spacing, indentations, bullet points etc. can blow your whole document out.
Convert to a PDF!

charlyox
04-04-2007, 08:44 AM
A job that I am interested in, that is all they will take is an on-line resume.
Go figure. It is a gov. job.

Kilrtoy
04-04-2007, 08:47 AM
The wife applied for a job a few weeks ago. She walked in and was told they only accept online. So she went home filled it out on line and sent it off with a no thank you response sent back to her in less than five mintues.
That was short and sweet

AZKC
04-04-2007, 09:07 AM
The font Ariel is not the same on every computer either so your spacing, indentations, bullet points etc. can blow your whole document out.
Thats exactly what was happening, thanks for the tip.

boatnam2
04-04-2007, 10:24 AM
i whipped up a quick one for the kid the other day on yahoo jobs and e mailed it.got a call back in 2 minutes(temp agency)funny he has been handing out resumes for 3 weeks and not one call,yea right!i got a call in all of 5 minutes and a interveiw the next day for him.