PDA

View Full Version : Receiver Lock Help...

Havasu_Dreamin
04-03-2007, 07:09 PM
I noticed that the keyed portion of my receiver lock somehow fell out of the lock. So, uhhhh, any ideas on what I can do to get what remains of the lock out so I can then get a new lock and actually use my receiver?
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/6143DSC02954.JPG
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/6143DSC02956.JPG

Boatcop
04-03-2007, 07:11 PM
A plasma cutter comes to mind.

racecar.hotshoe
04-03-2007, 07:12 PM
A big hammer...:D

Mandelon
04-03-2007, 07:15 PM
Youse gonna havta cut that sumbitch offa dere.;)

Biglue
04-03-2007, 07:15 PM
Is that a retention clip we see? If so try removing it and see if you can remove some of the internal stuff. Hopefull that would release it. If not plan on dulling our a few nice drills getting that puppy out of there. Good luck.

finsfan4life
04-03-2007, 07:21 PM
Happen to me with my Tahoe. My buddy was able to Zaw Saw it off. It will cost you a Zaw Saw blade though, It smoked his...

LUVNLIFE
04-03-2007, 07:25 PM
Use a sawzall, it worked for me like a hot knife on butter:)

OCMerrill
04-03-2007, 07:30 PM
Maybe try and drill it out first. Center punch that head down in the collar and drill with a bit just the same size.
Maybe you can get the "guts" off the pin and take the thing apart once the head is drilled off. Might need to hold it from spinning.
A cut-off wheel on an angle grinder works wonders for this but that purdy bow tie will get all hurt and shit.

MR.rvrluvr
04-03-2007, 07:32 PM
take it to chevy and trade it in on a new one (truck).....DONE!!!:D :D

Tom Brown
04-03-2007, 07:36 PM
I recommend backing into something, preferably concrete, at a high rate of speed.
... then let insurance take care of it.

RaceFace
04-03-2007, 07:36 PM
Slide 3' piece of gas pipe over that thing and snap that side off. It worked for me..BUT the pipe has to be snug. The weak link is that flattened lock side that latches (what we see inside). I was afraid of messing up the hitch with a sawzall....then again, its nothing a little flat black paint won't cure.

RiverDave
04-03-2007, 07:47 PM
Looks to me like you could stick a screw driver in there to hold the black peace (female threaded) still and unscrew the internal peace (male threaded).
Unless I'm missing something? If you really want to cut it off, a dremel and a box of those cut off wheels.. It'll take a little while and require a steady hand, but you might have it around the house.. Should take about 20 - 25 minutes to cut it off that way.
RD

racecar.hotshoe
04-03-2007, 07:53 PM
Looks to me like you could stick a screw driver in there to hold the black peace (female threaded) still and unscrew the internal peace (male threaded).
Unless I'm missing something? If you really want to cut it off, a dremel and a box of those cut off wheels.. It'll take a little while and require a steady hand, but you might have it around the house.. Should take about 20 - 25 minutes to cut it off that way.
RD
Dam RD all mechanically inclined .........and shit :D

Havasu_Dreamin
04-03-2007, 07:54 PM
Thanks for the replies and suggestions...looks like I've got some work to do this weekend...

rrrr
04-03-2007, 07:58 PM
I couldn't help but notice most of the replies were variations of "cut it off".....
What other advice were you expecting? Maybe thinking someone knew a magic spell or something? :)

Havasu_Dreamin
04-03-2007, 08:00 PM
I couldn't help but notice most of the replies were variations of "cut it off".....
What other advice were you expecting? Maybe thinking someone knew a magic spell or something? :)
Thinking maybe someone else experienced this and was looking to hear various suggestions...why reinvent the wheel...so to speak...

rrrr
04-03-2007, 08:19 PM
:D Just funnin' ya...
Try a cutting torch......accidentally start the taillight harness on fire....
The gas tank is close by......a new truck could be in your future.:jawdrop:

mikefd024
04-03-2007, 09:45 PM
Know any fireman, Amkus Cutters come mind, worked for me when I lost my key, popped off before they even closed all the way....Or maybe just a Sawzall....

Jordy
04-03-2007, 09:50 PM
Seems to me that if the tumbler portion of the lock is gone, you should be able to grab ahold of the squared off part in there with a pair of needle nose pliers and just un-do the thing like the key was in there. I can't see anywhere that a key would have gone any further, so chances are, if it's anything like any of the screw type tumblers I've seen, where you unlock it with the key while the outside remains stationary, that you should be able to do the same with the pliers. ;)
Other than that, please refer to any of the burn, bang, or crash it off ideas that appear above this one. :D

BajaMike
04-03-2007, 09:52 PM
How about taking it to a locksmith???:confused:
:idea:

BajaMike
04-03-2007, 09:54 PM
Seems to me that if the tumbler portion of the lock is gone, you should be able to grab ahold of the squared off part in there with a pair of needle nose pliers and just un-do the thing like the key was in there. I can't see anywhere that a key would have gone any further, so chances are, if it's anything like any of the screw type tumblers I've seen, where you unlock it with the key while the outside remains stationary, that you should be able to do the same with the pliers. ;)
Other than that, please refer to any of the burn, bang, or crash it off ideas that appear above this one. :D
I'm liking Jordy's new moving boat at the bottom of his sig......
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s112/Woodenedsel/Jordy.gif
:D :D

Hal
04-04-2007, 12:52 AM
I think what Jordy said should work being that the tumbler is gone.

Tom Brown
04-04-2007, 05:39 AM
See if there is a gynecologist who makes house calls.

Havasu_Dreamin
04-04-2007, 07:56 AM
This is going to bethe first, and hopefully last, suggestion I try...

Donttreadonme
04-04-2007, 07:59 AM
Just ask any illegal alien, they will have sucker off in seconds. If you can't find one just look next door, they are probably your neighbors.

Jetaholic
04-04-2007, 08:09 AM
A die grinder and about 2 mins will get that sumbitch offa 'der.
I lost the key to mine awhile back and that's what we used to cut it off. Worked like a charm.

dumbandyoung
04-04-2007, 10:50 AM
there was just one of these threads not t0o long ago where the guy lost his key.