PDA

View Full Version : US. patents?

robsformula
04-04-2007, 06:41 PM
Has anybody in here applied for a US patent before and how difficult and long does it take for the process? Start to finish. Got a new product for the market place and need to get a patent on it.

Pheelin Phroggy
04-04-2007, 06:53 PM
We did a patent awhile back, tried to do it ourselves and end up having a patent lawyer deal with it. Too many different rules for us dealing with software patents, and if your patent search comes up with something else close, you have to prove differences in detail. I was not smart enough. We screwed around for 2 months, the patent lawyer had it ready to go in two weeks, still took 6 months to get it back.

BrendellaJet
04-04-2007, 07:08 PM
Definitely throw down the cash to have a good attorney handle the paperwork. Its expensive, but if you have faith in the product you should get your money back.

uvindex
04-04-2007, 07:28 PM
Has anybody in here applied for a US patent before and how difficult and long does it take for the process? Start to finish. Got a new product for the market place and need to get a patent on it.I have four patents (my former employer provided the patent attorneys and paid for everything). The quickest took about two years and the slowest took three years (start to finish). I'm not sure if those are typical times, just telling you about my experience. (By the way, you don't need the patent in hand to protect your design, so don't get the idea that it will take 2-3 years before you can ship or disclose your product.) Good luck! :)

LuckyStrike
04-05-2007, 06:28 AM
I have a total of 12 patents, including International. Spend the money on a GOOD Patent Firm. It pays...
I just recently won in a European Patent Court in a contest between a little Company called British Petroleum:D
Your best start is with a patent search to make sure theres not something like it in the market place.
Good luck...

robsformula
04-05-2007, 07:08 AM
Thanks everyone for the advise. I did look into an attorney but because of the cost thought I might be able to do it on my own. I think after reading what all of you had to say it would still be to my best interest to have an attorney take care of the process. Thanks again and everyone have a great and safe Easter.

GUGS102
04-05-2007, 08:12 AM
Be careful how and when you disclose your info. Depending on what the patent is for, you may be shot before you begin.
I.E - If you have a cheap plastic product that has excellent potential market value and you file for the patent and disclose the design, some little chinamen can jump online, view the description and drawings and wham, have your product to any market faster than you can get your info reviewed.
I'm not advocating against the process, but you must give international thought to anything you are protecting, thanks to this thing that Al Gore invented and a global economy.
I used to work with small product development programs and seen more than a few get burned like this.
Just food for thought...