PDA

View Full Version : Havasu neighbor wants $$$ for wall

Newcastle
04-07-2007, 06:29 AM
Need some opinions. I bought my house a year ago, lots on either side are still unbuilt, just dirt. So I get a phone call from one of the owners (whom I have never met) that plans on building soon, and subsequently ridding me of any lakeview. His lot is about 3 feet lower than mine, so he wants to put a 3-4 retaining wall between the lots. He asks me for a couple grand to help cover the cost of the wall that will divide our lots. I don't think it gives me anymore usable space on the side of my house, but it would him. So do I act neighborly and give him the money or say F-it, I get nothing out of it so you pay for it?
Anybody else have a similar experience?

Pheelin Phroggy
04-07-2007, 06:36 AM
I would not do it, there is no way I would consider paying someone to take my view away.... just my 2 cents worth and perspective. Besides if he was being neighborly... he would just offer to pay it all!

TCHB
04-07-2007, 06:39 AM
I would try to work something out to save some of your view.
If you let him do it all you have no control.

voodoomedman
04-07-2007, 06:41 AM
There is no benefit to you. You can go the easy route and state that you don't have the money. Or you can man up and say that you don't see it necessary. It would be different if there was an existing fence in disrepair on the property line that needed replacing.

gramps
04-07-2007, 07:04 AM
I wouldn't give him a penny. It sounds like he needs the wall to improve his property. Make sure that if he has the wall built it is over the property line.

LHC30Victory
04-07-2007, 07:08 AM
I just went through an opposite scenerio....I wanted a retainer so I can access my back property but in order to get the needed space, the wall had to be on my neighbor's property. I paid completely for the wall, had it textured and colored to match my neighbor's house and took care of their displaced landscaping so I could have my wall...
In your case, if there is no benefit to you, his request is out of line....

Coolstkr
04-07-2007, 07:15 AM
Actually, if his lot is lower than yours, I think he is required to put in a retaining wall, (at his expense), before he builds. He may be trying to recoup some of that money by having you go in halves on a block wall with him. :idea: I know when the people behind me built here in Havasu, they had to put in a retaining wall prior to building, which was spendy!!:sqeyes:

JetBoatRich
04-07-2007, 07:15 AM
It would be different if there was an existing fence in disrepair on the property line that needed replacing.
This would be one good reason:sqeyes: I have a neighbor who still owes me $2,000 for this reason. BITCH

ULTRA28
04-07-2007, 07:17 AM
The only person it is going to benefit is him. Why would you pay for something you don't want or need?
I put 6' blockwalls all the way around my property, I made sure they were on my property, incluing the footings and I didn't ask for any money from my neighbors. Why would I? I'm the one that wanted them.
The tough part for you is to figure out how to tell him you don't think it is your responsiblity to pay for half of a wall that only benefits him. Good luck.

Garrddogg
04-07-2007, 07:23 AM
I would try to work something out to save some of your view.
If you let him do it all you have no control.
I agree with Tony. if theres a way to save some of your view, chip in!
If no way to save some of your view, tell him "eh uh aint gonna do it!":D

catman-do
04-07-2007, 07:25 AM
Seems like he wants the retaining wall in order to level MORE of his property. Since he is 3' in elevation below you the grade would be on his lot. So I say, fock him.

SummitKarl
04-07-2007, 07:26 AM
your neighbors lot prep is his responcibality...not yours
just say "I am sorry I can't afford to help you" = keeps the peace;)

Ms.Havasu
04-07-2007, 07:31 AM
Actually, if his lot is lower than yours, I think he is required to put in a retaining wall, (at his expense), before he builds. He may be trying to recoup some of that money by having you go in halves on a block wall with him. :idea: I know when the people behind me built here in Havasu, they had to put in a retaining wall prior to building, which was spendy!!:sqeyes:
Absolutely! The retaining wall is his responsibility and all part of the building cost he should have considered before buying the lot. Next he will want you to help pay for grading. Tell him politely that it's his project not yours and not in you budget.
Michele

Howie Feltersnatch
04-07-2007, 07:43 AM
What a douchebag. Get ready for trouble with this guy....

2Driver
04-07-2007, 07:59 AM
....not sure how much he is asking for but...
If you ever plan to wall-in your yard it is nice to be able to share the cost with your neighbors to the sides and back assuming you have no set backs and can build on the lot line. This way your wall gets built for ½ price. The other benefit is you have a say on stucco and paint choices to match your house. If you never plan to wall-in your yard and don’t mind looking at grey cinder block then there is no reason to shell out any money.
As far as telling him why? I am not a big supporter of the BS reason ( "I don’t have the money, my cat had puppies" etc). Politely tell him the truth why and be done with it, remember you are going to be living next to this family and good neighbors are invaluable.

TCHB
04-07-2007, 08:53 AM
If the view is important you have one shot at the outcome. If the view is not important he will decide what you have. I would like to involved.

Moneypitt
04-07-2007, 08:57 AM
You said his lot is 3' lower than yours. If he builds a 6' wall, you only get a 3' wall. Unless he builds a 9' wall so you get your 6', I see no advantage, or increase in your property value. Research the building code, have the facts on hand and tell him he has to build the wall to build the house, and since you will only get a 3' wall you might consider paying 1/4 of the actual wall cost, but nothing for the permit/ inspection he is required to have......MP

TCHB
04-07-2007, 09:01 AM
If he builds a 12 ft wall how does it feel on your side of the fence.

slink
04-07-2007, 09:07 AM
What about doing a retaining wall up to your level line and then wrought iron on top of the wall. That way it doesn't take all your view away. Or is he looking for complete privacy? if he is, he is going to pay for it

franky
04-07-2007, 09:14 AM
Not so. All he needs is to maintain a 2 to 1 slope.
If the property line is at the top of the slope already, you have nothing to gain. If the PL is in the middle of the 2 to 1 then pay the extra for the 2-3 more block height, put the wall on the PL and you gain 3 feet of flat area on the side of your lot.

XtrmWakeborder
04-07-2007, 09:14 AM
No way in hell.... Discuss it like a man though, he'd probably respect you for that rather than you making an excuse. If he gets cranky then so be it, it would have come up sooner or later. God i hate new neighbors.

ROZ
04-07-2007, 09:22 AM
If the view is important you have one shot at the outcome. If the view is not important he will decide what you have. I would like to involved.
It's my understanding that unless city code has restrictions about housing height and footprint relative to blocking the view of existing homes, there is nothing he can do.
If your neighbor wants to build a wall and you wish to give him a little something to "keep the peace", offer him half the money it would have cost to put up a wood fence....

HocusPocus
04-07-2007, 09:30 AM
tell him your planning on building an RV garage and would he like to pay for half of it.

phebus
04-07-2007, 09:59 AM
What does his wife look like? :D

YeLLowBoaT
04-07-2007, 10:37 AM
I would not give him a dime...
while your at it.. check your run off rights... if it says you can drain on to his property make sure you let him know about it up front... that way if there is a prob about that latter on you can tell him, "I told you that I have run off rights"... Just to make sure he has the right dranage system installed when he pays for the wall...

boater72
04-07-2007, 10:59 AM
No way in hell.... Discuss it like a man though, he'd probably respect you for that rather than you making an excuse. If he gets cranky then so be it, it would have come up sooner or later. God i hate new neighbors.
Ditto !

Newcastle
04-07-2007, 02:07 PM
Thanks for all the info. I'm heading out tomorrow and I'm sure I'll meet up with him to discuss it. Unfortunately all my lot paperwork is out there so that'll tell me where my prop line is and where he plans on putting the wall. I have no problem being up front, or even pitching in if it benefits me. He mentioned a pool in the future, so I'm sure the wall on my side would have to be at least 6' for safety reasons.
Man I hate new neighbors too...
I do want to keep a decent relationship...since my house is only a vacation pad so a little 'neighborhood watch' would be nice.
Thanks all

gochappy
04-07-2007, 02:08 PM
well I'll be the other side.....if the city requires him to put it in then that is one thing, its going in either way so let him pay for it or not build, however if not, it seems to me like the wall is going to keep your lot from sluffing off into his, there must be some kind of erosion factor at that drop off. as far as the view, you knew that lot was there when you purchased yours and that the day would come that someone would build there.....you could have purchased the lot to save the view.

Newcastle
04-07-2007, 02:17 PM
The only person it is going to benefit is him. Why would you pay for something you don't want or need?
I put 6' blockwalls all the way around my property, I made sure they were on my property, incluing the footings and I didn't ask for any money from my neighbors. Why would I? I'm the one that wanted them.
The tough part for you is to figure out how to tell him you don't think it is your responsiblity to pay for half of a wall that only benefits him. Good luck.
I agree. If it did benefit, I'd help him pay. He says his entire job is about 25k. The dividing wall between us is about 4-5k, so he wanted somewhere in the ballpark of 2k from me. Not a huge deal, but the guy wanted me to commit from 250 miles away based on his 'phone description.' Not gonna happen.

Newcastle
04-07-2007, 02:20 PM
well I'll be the other side.....if the city requires him to put it in then that is one thing, its going in either way so let him pay for it or not build, however if not, it seems to me like the wall is going to keep your lot from sluffing off into his, there must be some kind of erosion factor at that drop off. as far as the view, you knew that lot was there when you purchased yours and that the day would come that someone would build there.....you could have purchased the lot to save the view.
I agree. I don't have a killer view, just a little slice of lake. His RV garage will block the view if anything does. I'm not mad at the loss of view, just frustrated at the phone call 2 days prior to his crew showing up to dig up the ground, then him wanting me to commit over the phone.

Newcastle
04-07-2007, 02:21 PM
Good point...although somehow, based on our phone conversation, I can't imagine his wife is all that hot

Newcastle
04-07-2007, 02:22 PM
tell him your planning on building an RV garage and would he like to pay for half of it.
I like your attitude...:D

franky
04-07-2007, 04:18 PM
Thanks for all the info. I'm heading out tomorrow and I'm sure I'll meet up with him to discuss it. Unfortunately all my lot paperwork is out there so that'll tell me where my prop line is and where he plans on putting the wall. I have no problem being up front, or even pitching in if it benefits me. He mentioned a pool in the future, so I'm sure the wall on my side would have to be at least 6' for safety reasons.
I do want to keep a decent relationship...since my house is only a vacation pad so a little 'neighborhood watch' would be nice.
Thanks all
If he is getting ready to build and/or put up a wall, there better be survey pins identified on all corners. Should be easy to see whats happening.

lewiville
04-07-2007, 04:40 PM
Damit, you always have the good answers!

SummitKarl
04-07-2007, 04:58 PM
Thanks all
no problem PM me your addy out here and I will pull up your lot and send you the plat map, I have plat maps for every lot in Mohave county.....also I have no problem stopping by and telling you what is legal and what is not in the city for your new neighbor to do...but I need to see it first to give you a informed answer;)
SK<<<<<looking out for his fellow hot boaters;)

BIGRRNU
04-07-2007, 07:42 PM
We had a similar situation. However, we were on the lower side and it was OUR responsibility to pay for a retaining wall to maximize our RV garage side yard. Our high side neighbor wanted us to share the expense of a 6 foot wall for him. Not in our plans, not a priority at this time. Just told him sorry no can do.

TrojanDan
04-07-2007, 10:05 PM
I would say this is as accurate a post to what I just went through. Just got my final sign-off this past Tuesday for a blockwall I started three months ago. My house is 3' lower than my neighbors. Their slope has eroded onto my property a couple of times in the last four years in which I always cleaned it up on my dime (trying to be a cool neighbor and not start shit). I finally decided to gain my 5' or so of property back by building a retaining wall because our property line falls in the middle of our adjoing slope. I contacted my neighbor prior to obtaining my building permit and inquired if they would sign a wall covenant agreement that would allow me to build the footing on their property but the wall on my side. I offered to pick up the entire tab of the wall and cost to record the covenant but just wanted to put the footing on their side (saving me about a foot and a half or valuable RV parking space). Long story short, they filed a complaint against me with city then denied filing it, caused nothing but drama and yada, yada, yada..... I ended up building the wall (3' retaining and 6' privacy for a 9' total height) and footing on my property in order to have full control of the wall. I informed the contractor to not cut any of the joints on the back side of the wall facing their side and will be eventually painting the wall red, white, and blue on their side (gotta check with the city about this first though).
Moral of the story, don't be all "Billy Badass" and tell your neighbor to pound sound about the wall. Listen to him and work out some agreement if possible. If you can't afford it, tell him so. Don't make up some lame ass excuse. If it does benefit you also, then help pitch in a few bones. Maybe build the wall higher to maintain some privacy (what the hell, you just lost your temporary lake view that really wasn't yours to begin with).
Now my neighbor faces an ugly ass block wall everytime they step outside in their rear yard. They could of been cool and said no thanks to the covenant and I would have just left the wall grey but the joints cut, but their complaint to the building department has caused a sort of Hatfields and McCoy battle. :D
Sorry for the rant, just trying to save you from drama down the road. When you go to Havasu you always hope to leave the drama at home, not go to it. :cool:

Boa1277
04-07-2007, 10:10 PM
I know he is your new neighbor, and I know it would be nice to make friends with the guy, but the bottom line is, did the guy call you to discuss what type of wall, did the guy call you to discuss any plans he had about improving the property, did he bother to find out if you had any plans on improving your property, that way maybe you could have discussed the future plans of both his and your property. Guess what, the guy called you and hit you up for money to build his wall, the way he wants it, and obviously he is going to do it whether you like it or not, it truly sounds like he could give a shit less about what you want or like, he just gives a shit about your 2 grand. The bottom line is tell him to POUND SAND, you were going to do chain link with bobwire, but since he is building a block wall you guess that will have to do. Oh yeah maybe you should take the 2 grand and put up some video monitoring home security system that way you will be protected on all sides, 2 grand will buy you a very nice security system, that will probably work way better than a greedy neighbor...

Newcastle
04-07-2007, 10:14 PM
no problem PM me your addy out here and I will pull up your lot and send you the plat map, I have plat maps for every lot in Mohave county.....also I have no problem stopping by and telling you what is legal and what is not in the city for your new neighbor to do...but I need to see it first to give you a informed answer;)
SK<<<<<looking out for his fellow hot boaters;)
Thanks SK!! PM sent...Now off to Havasu to see what I get to deal with

Newcastle
04-07-2007, 10:16 PM
I would say this is as accurate a post to what I just went through. Just got my final sign-off this past Tuesday for a blockwall I started three months ago. My house is 3' lower than my neighbors. Their slope has eroded onto my property a couple of times in the last four years in which I always cleaned it up on my dime (trying to be a cool neighbor and not start shit). I finally decided to gain my 5' or so of property back by building a retaining wall because our property line falls in the middle of our adjoing slope. I contacted my neighbor prior to obtaining my building permit and inquired if they would sign a wall covenant agreement that would allow me to build the footing on their property but the wall on my side. I offered to pick up the entire tab of the wall and cost to record the covenant but just wanted to put the footing on their side (saving me about a foot and a half or valuable RV parking space). Long story short, they filed a complaint against me with city then denied filing it, caused nothing but drama and yada, yada, yada..... I ended up building the wall (3' retaining and 6' privacy for a 9' total height) and footing on my property in order to have full control of the wall. I informed the contractor to not cut any of the joints on the back side of the wall facing their side and will be eventually painting the wall red, white, and blue on their side (gotta check with the city about this first though).
Moral of the story, don't be all "Billy Badass" and tell your neighbor to pound sound about the wall. Listen to him and work out some agreement if possible. If you can't afford it, tell him so. Don't make up some lame ass excuse. If it does benefit you also, then help pitch in a few bones. Maybe build the wall higher to maintain some privacy (what the hell, you just lost your temporary lake view that really wasn't yours to begin with).
Now my neighbor faces an ugly ass block wall everytime they step outside in their rear yard. They could of been cool and said no thanks to the covenant and I would have just left the wall grey but the joints cut, but their complaint to the building department has caused a sort of Hatfields and McCoy battle. :D
Sorry for the rant, just trying to save you from drama down the road. When you go to Havasu you always hope to leave the drama at home, not go to it. :cool:
I'd definitely like to work things out. I'm not the guy who goes complaining to the city about chit...
I'll grab a couple pictures while I'm out there to see where the property line is etc...

blackcloud75
04-07-2007, 10:17 PM
lucky phukkerr.............first 24 hours of a 120(first day of 5)
have fun.........working or were you across the street?

Newcastle
04-07-2007, 11:08 PM
lucky phukkerr.............first 24 hours of a 120(first day of 5)
have fun.........working or were you across the street?
Was across the street. Took the night off to watch UFC and get an early jump on Havasu for Easter Sunday. I'll take pics for you. Only 91 tomorrow:D

Sherpa
04-08-2007, 06:12 AM
I had a neighbor send me a letter requesting payment for a common fence
replacement........ they asked for 2,500 bucks...... The work was to begin
in 2 days.......... gee, thanks alot.... when they started, I asked why are
they tearing down and replacing an 8-yr old fence with no problem.?
answer: so the rest of the fence they are doing will all match. (none of the
new fence work was near my backyard)
so I told her with suck short notice, and no involvement asked on my part
there was no way I could participate in their endeavor.....
--not exactly "great" neighbor relations, but not fighting either.
--Sherpa

little rowe boat
04-08-2007, 06:41 AM
When you arrive, just go speak with him and get all of the facts. Then make a decision on what is best for you.

Havasu Carrera
04-08-2007, 07:23 AM
YUP! and it is ALWAYS nice to have happy neighbors.:)

Boa1277
04-08-2007, 02:05 PM
But it is much funner to be Billy Bad Ass, and tell the guy to pound sand! If you have a guy that is going to paint the wall on your side red white and blue just to get back at you because you chose not to help him pay for his wall, you can add Razor Bob Wire across the top of his wall strung between 2 poles right above the stars and stripes that way it looks like he lives in a prison.. I know you really do not want to have a Hatfield and McCoy situation, but I truly doubt he expects you to give him any money on such short notice, I am sure in the future you will do something that improves both properties to make up for the 2 grand...

YeLLowBoaT
04-08-2007, 02:25 PM
But it is much funner to be Billy Bad Ass, and tell the guy to pound sand! If you have a guy that is going to paint the wall on your side red white and blue just to get back at you because you chose not to help him pay for his wall, you can add Razor Bob Wire across the top of his wall strung between 2 poles right above the stars and stripes that way it looks like he lives in a prison.. I know you really do not want to have a Hatfield and McCoy situation, but I truly doubt he expects you to give him any money on such short notice, I am sure in the future you will do something that improves both properties to make up for the 2 grand...
you know its funny you mention the painting wall diffrent colors... My grandparents had a prob over a fence... the lady next door wanted them to pay half of every thing, including the part that inclosed just her yard, not the 4 sections they had joined... of corse they said no, well she turned them in to the county for some BS violations they had... got them fined up the wazu... to get her back, they built a piece of "art" nothing more then 2 4x4s posts and a 2x4 across then, with old paint cans painted the most god owful colors that sit just over the fence and anoying wind chimes... now every time she goes out her back door or opnes a window she hears them and see the uglest POS you can imagine... she s really pissed about it, but the county even came out and said there is nothing she could do and she should have not thrown the hiss fit she had over the fence( same inspector).

Tom Brown
04-08-2007, 02:25 PM
I'd tell him to hurry up and sod his lot so you can give him a lawn job.

Seadog
04-08-2007, 03:27 PM
FWIW, I would tell him that I do not feel a responsibility to help with the wall, but that if he needs to build a fence in the future, that you would consider helping with that if the two of you can agree on what type. There are rules on what a person can and cannot do that affects his neighbors property. If he builds a barrier wall that affects your property values, he can be held liable. If neither of you have nasty habits or are real ugly mud suckers, then a iron bar fence would allow you to keep most of your view and usually makes for better neighbors.

Baja Big Dog
04-08-2007, 03:36 PM
You guys crack my shitt up. This guy posts that his neighbor is requesting half the cost of a wall that will improve his property value and you guys all go towards....,"this guy is gonna be trouble"..."your gonna have problems with this guy".
Holy crap guys, this is the most common request among neighbors. is he gonna take away your view, well join the club, this happens all the time, you cant impact this unless you bought the lot next to you to reserve the view. Almost all of us have had view lost due to neighbors building.
If you dont want to pay for the wall or you dont have the money then dont, but I sure the shitt wouldn't take the advise of some of the grouchy bitches on this fourm and tell the guy to pound sand.

Tom Brown
04-08-2007, 04:00 PM
Look... We've explored the options. We've analyzed all possibilities. It's time for swift and unyielding violence.

SummitKarl
04-08-2007, 04:08 PM
Thanks SK!! PM sent...Now off to Havasu to see what I get to deal with
I left a note tucked in the plug on your porch
I wouldn't worry about it's not your problem, in fact I would go the step further and tell him to make sure not even the footing for the wall encroaches your property line;) and you would expect the landscaping they dug up to be repaired;)
This is typical B.S. I run into all the time...someone trying to get something for free. and yes I can tell by the grade the garage will be left as you face the property and will block your view...knocking about $20k off your current selling value.:(
tell him the truth.....he already took around $20k from you and he ain't getting any more:mad: :mad: :mad:
this guy has some serious balls asking you to chip in IMO:rolleyes:

SummitKarl
04-08-2007, 04:10 PM
Look... We've explored the options. We've analyzed all possibilities. It's time for swift and unyielding violence.
you rang;) :D :D

franky
04-08-2007, 08:03 PM
I left a note tucked in the plug on your porch
I wouldn't worry about it's not your problem, in fact I would go the step further and tell him to make sure not even the footing for the wall encroaches your property line;) and you would expect the landscaping they dug up to be repaired;)
This is typical B.S. I run into all the time...someone trying to get something for free. and yes I can tell by the grade the garage will be left as you face the property and will block your view...knocking about $20k off your current selling value.:(
tell him the truth.....he already took around $20k from you and he ain't getting any more:mad: :mad: :mad:
this guy has some serious balls asking you to chip in IMO:rolleyes:
Oh brother! He has every right to build whatever he wants within the height restrictions. What if it was the other way around? Having the footings on yuo rproperty....you won't even notice as they will be buryed 4' deep!
Get along with your neighbor. In the long run you will be glad.

SummitKarl
04-08-2007, 09:30 PM
Oh brother! He has every right to build whatever he wants within the height restrictions. What if it was the other way around? Having the footings on yuo rproperty....you won't even notice as they will be buryed 4' deep!
Get along with your neighbor. In the long run you will be glad.
wow Franky step away from the bottle:rolleyes::D
and Newcastle has every right not to have him build anything on HIS property;)
actually the footings will be 12" deep x 16" wide;) the wall will be 4' tall x 8"wide keeping the footings on the neighbors property gives Newcastle a extra 8" x 100' of usable property, a some what fair exchange for the loss of view;) and I never said the new neighbor couldn't build what he wants within code, but being as there is no permit posted on the property and grading is being done, I suspect the new neighbor is about to have a much bigger problem than who is paying for the wall;)
everyone seems to be assuming the new neighbor is moving in......anyone consider he is just building a spec to sell:idea: that little tib bit really decides how one should handle the situation;)

Newcastle
04-08-2007, 09:34 PM
Thanks a bunch Karl, you da man! Got the papers. You're right about the garage on the left. So he's only doing the block wall to the ground height on my property, then a 5' chain link on top of that. The more I think about it, the more I want to give the guy nothing. I'm all about helping but I see no benefit.
Thanks for all your opinions. Hopefully I can stay cool with the guy, but give money I won't.

SummitKarl
04-08-2007, 09:40 PM
Thanks a bunch Karl, you da man! Got the papers. You're right about the garage on the left. So he's only doing the block wall to the ground height on my property, then a 5' chain link on top of that. The more I think about it, the more I want to give the guy nothing. I'm all about helping but I see no benefit.
Thanks for all your opinions. Hopefully I can stay cool with the guy, but give money I won't.
that tells me he is putting in a pool....but your right keep it cool and keep your cash....
BTW I built the house to your left the 3078 addy 2 yrs ago ...:D

YeLLowBoaT
04-08-2007, 09:44 PM
Really... hes going to put in a retaining wall with out a permit, then plans on putting in a pool... he better hope he does not get a SOB inspector... :D
( remember this latter on if you have probs with him )

TrojanDan
04-08-2007, 09:57 PM
but being as there is no permit posted on the property and grading is being done, I suspect the new neighbor is about to have a much bigger problem than who is paying for the wall;)
Dude, you sound like my dick neighbor who filed an unfounded complaint against me for not having my grading permit displayed. :mad: My permit was valid but was blown away in the crazy winds we had in January. That complaint is what started a whole chain of events that ended me leaving my joints uncut facing my neighbors property. Before you go and start shit, maybe you should let Newcastle handle his business before this gets out of hand.
Good luck Newcastle. :cool:

SummitKarl
04-08-2007, 09:58 PM
Really... hes going to put in a retaining wall with out a permit, then plans on putting in a pool... he better hope he does not get a SOB inspector... :D
( remember this latter on if you have probs with him )
well there was no permit posted, that doesn't mean one isn't pulled, but it's suppose to be posted before work begins
but I am sure if Newcastle made a call to 453-4148 and asked to speak with the Community Development Department....he would have a answer real fast;) :D :D

franky
04-09-2007, 06:50 AM
Dude, you sound like my dick neighbor who filed an unfounded complaint against me for not having my grading permit displayed. :mad: My permit was valid but was blown away in the crazy winds we had in January. That complaint is what started a whole chain of events that ended me leaving my joints uncut facing my neighbors property. Before you go and start shit, maybe you should let Newcastle handle his business before this gets out of hand.
AMEN!!

Baja Big Dog
04-09-2007, 07:28 AM
Another AMEN...See post #50.
This is getting funny, buy the time this post hits page 5 we are gonna have a another Hatfields and McCoys on our hands.
Christ, the guy asked a simple question, like I said it gets asked a thousand times a day. Now your gonna rape his wife, shoot his dog, burn down his house and the worst........
....Steal his RHINO!!!!!!!:mad:

RaceFace
04-09-2007, 07:37 AM
Another AMEN...See post #50.
This is getting funny, buy the time this post hits page 5 we are gonna have a another Hatfields and McCoys on our hands.
Christ, the guy asked a simple question, like I said it gets asked a thousand times a day. Now your gonna rape his wife, shoot his dog, burn down his house and the worst........
....Steal his RHINO!!!!!!!:mad:
Well, at least it would give me something to read on this slow monday morning!! ;)

Baja Big Dog
04-09-2007, 08:06 AM
Well, at least it would give me something to read on this slow monday morning!! ;)
No shit...I was looking for a mushroom cloud over Havi when I left last night.....:D

wright27
04-09-2007, 08:25 AM
Need some opinions. I bought my house a year ago, lots on either side are still unbuilt, just dirt. So I get a phone call from one of the owners (whom I have never met) that plans on building soon, and subsequently ridding me of any lakeview. His lot is about 3 feet lower than mine, so he wants to put a 3-4 retaining wall between the lots. He asks me for a couple grand to help cover the cost of the wall that will divide our lots. I don't think it gives me anymore usable space on the side of my house, but it would him. So do I act neighborly and give him the money or say F-it, I get nothing out of it so you pay for it?
Anybody else have a similar experience?
I say don't pay a dime. Save the money so you can make the trade with me for the trucks.:D :D

MONEYFURNOTHIN
04-09-2007, 08:48 AM
Keep the 2K and get a big screen! Thanks again Nate, sorry we didnt get to have a beer together this weekend. Maybe on the next trip!

4-B
04-09-2007, 01:59 PM
Hey Newcastle, we might be neighbors. The guy next to me just asked me for $3000 for "my" share of his retaining wall. He just graded the lot and told me he wants as much room he can get for a pool. I am going to decline the offer to help him because it really does not help me at all. My back yard is already fenced in. I have not seen it yet but had my dad send me a couple pics of the graded lot.

SummitKarl
04-09-2007, 02:40 PM
Hey Newcastle, we might be neighbors. The guy next to me just asked me for $3000 for "my" share of his retaining wall. He just graded the lot and told me he wants as much room he can get for a pool. I am going to decline the offer to help him because it really does not help me at all. My back yard is already fenced in. I have not seen it yet but had my dad send me a couple pics of the graded lot.
affirmative rampart........:D

Havasu1986
04-09-2007, 02:40 PM
[QUOTE=lebel409;2491958]I'd make double sure that his wall is on his property. The contractor will put it where the guy holding the checkbook wants it...
Not if he's pulling a permit. When I had my fence done last year I had to pay someone to come out and mark the property lines to show the inspector.:)

sawtooth
04-09-2007, 02:54 PM
My Dad lives in Havi and his neighbor accross the street wanted to put up a property line wall for privicy from their neighbor. They approched them nicely with a landscape plan and the whole works and the neighbor went on the instant defence mode (A-HOLE) and refused to be part of it. The neighbor that wanted the wall let things calm down a few weeks and then reapproched the neighbor about spliting the cost, the guy went off even worse then the first time (this wall was not going to block either sides view, was not a retainer, no big deal, just a 'garden' wall on grade 6' high). So the guy that wanted the wall had the survey crew come back out and set it up all on his property and built it.....with gray block, tan block, pink block, weeping joints the worst because he was stuccoing/color coating his side. The neighbor that wanted nothing to do with it called a stucco company out to get his side colored, they got about 4' before the police and city showed up and stopped him. He was so pissed there was nothing he could do to hide it that 2 weeks later he had a block wall built right alongside it to hide it on his side......so it cost him double, should have just split it with the neighbor. Sad thing is him and his wife are the outcasts fo the street now and no one says hi or waves or invites them to anything on the street.

franky
04-09-2007, 05:32 PM
Yeah Newcastle, listen to Karl. Phuck em then get phucked worse. Be a good neighbor. Do unto others...

al cole'holic
04-09-2007, 07:03 PM
My Dad lives in Havi and his neighbor accross the street wanted to put up a property line wall for privicy from their neighbor. They approched them nicely with a landscape plan and the whole works and the neighbor went on the instant defence mode (A-HOLE) and refused to be part of it. The neighbor that wanted the wall let things calm down a few weeks and then reapproched the neighbor about spliting the cost, the guy went off even worse then the first time (this wall was not going to block either sides view, was not a retainer, no big deal, just a 'garden' wall on grade 6' high). So the guy that wanted the wall had the survey crew come back out and set it up all on his property and built it.....with gray block, tan block, pink block, weeping joints the worst because he was stuccoing/color coating his side. The neighbor that wanted nothing to do with it called a stucco company out to get his side colored, they got about 4' before the police and city showed up and stopped him. He was so pissed there was nothing he could do to hide it that 2 weeks later he had a block wall built right alongside it to hide it on his side......so it cost him double, should have just split it with the neighbor. Sad thing is him and his wife are the outcasts fo the street now and no one says hi or waves or invites them to anything on the street.
...that's a pretty funny f'n story right there!

RaceFace
04-09-2007, 07:29 PM
I'm not much of a "revenge" person....but that ROCKS!!!

Sherpa
04-10-2007, 07:41 AM
I've gotta commend your pops..... that's gotta be one, if not the best F.U.
stories I've ever heard....
Imagine getting real creative with the multi-color blocks and spelling out
something bad on his side of the wall, then plastering your side.......
that's great...
--Sherpa

Newcastle
04-11-2007, 02:24 PM
4-B...so I guess we're neighbors...and just when the wife keeps bitching at me for spending too much time on HB. I almost knocked on your door yesterday to see what your take on the situation was. He says he's owned the land for 10 years. I chuckled when I saw your fence in place and listened to him bitch about you not wanting to pitch in. I thought to myself, why the heck would you give him money when your fence is already in place?
Anyway, his original estimate on just 'our' wall was 4k, then it went to 6k. I finally asked him what I gain on the deal. He told me at least I'd have 5' of chain link up. He gets all the benefit of a 3' retaining wall and 5' chain link yet I pay half? Doesn't add up if you ask me.
Here's a couple pics I took yesterday of what I'm talking about. Thanks again for everybody's input. No Hatfield/Mccoy's here. I'd just assume ignore him if there are any hard feelings. I'm young, but not stupid enough to get get involved in that nonsense.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/IMG_0418.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/IMG_0419.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/IMG_0420.JPG

Newcastle
04-11-2007, 02:33 PM
Yeah, those Havasu vines grow wild in my neighborhood:D
Chain link is okay, so long as you do it right. I wouldn't mind it so long as those vertical plastic slide in pieces block the views

SummitKarl
04-11-2007, 02:37 PM
Yeah, those Havasu vines grow wild in my neighborhood:D
Chain link is okay, so long as you do it right. I wouldn't mind it so long as those vertical plastic slide in pieces block the views
do you think the neighbor will go to that added expense?

Newcastle
04-11-2007, 02:43 PM
do you think the neighbor will go to that added expense?
It's tough to say. He walked over with a Coors Light in hand, so my gut instinct says he'll cheap out and just do bare minimum. Althought, he's like 40, building a brand new, RV garage home [I]with[I] a pool, so I'm gonna have to say he's got a little money (or big loan). I'm gonna just hope he'll do the slats :D

rivercrazy
04-11-2007, 02:55 PM
You guys crack my shitt up. This guy posts that his neighbor is requesting half the cost of a wall that will improve his property value and you guys all go towards....,"this guy is gonna be trouble"..."your gonna have problems with this guy".
Holy crap guys, this is the most common request among neighbors. is he gonna take away your view, well join the club, this happens all the time, you cant impact this unless you bought the lot next to you to reserve the view. Almost all of us have had view lost due to neighbors building.
If you dont want to pay for the wall or you dont have the money then dont, but I sure the shitt wouldn't take the advise of some of the grouchy bitches on this fourm and tell the guy to pound sand.
BINGO!
If you bought a house next to an unbuilt lot and know your view might go by the wayside, that is just the way it is....
And after building a block wall on three sides of my property and not getting a dime from either neighbor, I know the other side of all of this....
They get the financial benefit of a very well constructed and beautiful wall but didn't have to pay one penny for it.

phebus
04-11-2007, 03:50 PM
It's tough to say. He walked over with a Coors Light in hand, so my gut instinct says he'll cheap out and just do bare minimum. Althought, he's like 40, building a brand new, RV garage home [I]with[I] a pool, so I'm gonna have to say he's got a little money (or big loan). I'm gonna just hope he'll do the slats :D
When he see's the people you hang with, he'll put the slats in. :D

JB in so cal
04-11-2007, 04:14 PM
I think I'm gonna call Gloria Allred. What's wrong with being "like 40" and drinking Coors Light:eek:

SummitKarl
04-11-2007, 04:17 PM
When he see's the people you hang with, he'll put the slats in. :D
:jawdrop: :D
see Sig line;)

Mrs. 4-B
04-11-2007, 04:32 PM
I just sent you a PM. We would like to meet with you. Give us a call if you get a chance.

SummitKarl
04-11-2007, 05:20 PM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_39.gif

Mrs. 4-B
04-11-2007, 07:22 PM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_39.gif
Back at ya' baby! How ya' been? We'll be out at the poker run the end of this month. Hope to see you! :)

SummitKarl
04-11-2007, 08:22 PM
Back at ya' baby! How ya' been? We'll be out at the poker run the end of this month. Hope to see you! :)
been good.....working hard and having fun:D (lots of car shows to put on lately) ;)
you got it on the 28th...I will be out there and keep a lookout for you:D
hope all is well with you guys...C'ya soon :D

Newcastle
04-11-2007, 09:02 PM
Mrs. 4-B...sent a PM. Hope to meet you guys next time out.
Phebus...I'm sure those I hang out with are no more crazy than you and your co-workers from back in the day.
Karl...I owe you a beer.
JB...nothin's wrong with 'like 40' and CL in hand. I prefer BL myself, but I don't fault the guy. So long as it wasn't blue label or Milwakee's Beast. Just playing around about the being cheap cuz of it comment.
On a serious note, I knew buying a house with an unbuilt lot could potentially block my lakeview. I don't blame the guy one bit for building the biggest, best house he can. My beef isn't about that.

djunkie
04-11-2007, 09:43 PM
Hey Newcastle, do you still have the same house on the south end or is this a new one? If you'd like I'm sure Ivan Dan, Tottally Incap, and I could do some damage with the Rhinos around there to bug him. :D :D :D

Throttle
04-11-2007, 09:49 PM
[QUOTE=Newcastle;2497034]
Phebus...I'm sure those I hang out with are no more crazy than you and your co-workers from back in the day.
QUOTE]
take it eazy, I didn't do anything...

hava life
04-12-2007, 08:23 AM
A 3' retaining wall should be no more than $65' that is the pricing I got for contracts in BHC. Don't pay any of the retaining wall pricing wait until he tries to sell and I bet you he will come to you to have a wall put in. Not many new homes around with a pool and chain link fence.

Newcastle
04-12-2007, 12:38 PM
Hey Newcastle, do you still have the same house on the south end or is this a new one? If you'd like I'm sure Ivan Dan, Tottally Incap, and I could do some damage with the Rhinos around there to bug him. :D :D :D
This is a different one. I sold that house about a year ago. I couldn't stand being so close to the Kaatz boys, always peeking in my bathroom windows n whatnot. I'm on the northside now

djunkie
04-12-2007, 12:39 PM
I'm on the northside now
Traitor!!!!!!!!!!:D :D :D

Newcastle
04-12-2007, 12:47 PM
Traitor!!!!!!!!!!:D :D :D
Hahaha...I gotta stay true to my WT roots. Now I'm closer to Walmart:D

phebus
04-12-2007, 12:55 PM
This is a different one. I sold that house about a year ago. I couldn't stand being so close to the Kaatz boys, always peeking in my bathroom windows n whatnot. I'm on the northside now
Those are the friends I was referring to. :D

djunkie
04-12-2007, 01:21 PM
Those are the friends I was referring to. :D
Thats it. Rhinos will be plowing through your front yard this summer. :D :D