PDA

View Full Version : 07 Tundra Double Cab Test Drive...#2

HammerDown
04-07-2007, 10:13 AM
Today I had the chance of giving the truck a much longer drive and a more indepth inspection.
I just noticed the inside door handles...they felt like hollow plastic, ya got to be kidding me right?
The ride was quiet and tight but over some Rail Road-XX the rear end felt very light, and like it left the road.
Simply incredible Brakes!
The 6-speed was super smooth and I liked the idea I could lock out any gear if needed. The engine had nice pickup and ran up the hwy and around town without a hiccup or burp, super smooth!
The dealer toped off the tank so I know it was full, but within a easy 65-mph 20 mile hwy drive the needle had already moved off F...this raised an eybrow.
Ohhh, and no pwr rear sliding window, kinda silly on a 4 door...maybe they will add this for 08, if not they should!
The Double Cab offered plenty of room for passengers in the back...thats great!
The assisted tailgate drop was also very nice...kinda neat idea after dealing with my F250 hunk of Iron for so long.
The seats felt firm but that's fine as I know they would give up some in time. However one thing I did not like is right behind my knees it felt like I couldn't get the front of the seat low enough and the seat cut off the circulation in my legs (I'm 5'9").
I have to question the abundance of plastic everywhere in the cab (and I know this is the norm with all manufactures)...when opening little compartments etc it felt kinda cheap.
I also must question the rear of the Frame how it's a open C channel and of a Wishbone configuration, this would worry me for strength.
The Dealer did have the 3 sections of Frame on display...I thought they ALL looked very thin and could actually flex the C-Channel section by hand. I would think in time maybe rust through could also be a issue. I would be curious to see what that Frame would look like in 10/15 years time..
All in all, I may have to reconsider this 07 sitting in my Driveway.

Trailer Park Casanova
04-07-2007, 10:25 AM
Good ops.
It'll probably all change next year.
The smooth, quiet, peppy motor is what sold us,,
But we need a F450 size vech.
Ford chevy and dodge all have nice interiors this year.

Burn504
04-07-2007, 11:35 AM
i dont like how Toyota uses a bunch of parts out of what feels like a camry or corolla like door handles, vents, center consoles. I have to use 2 fingers to pull the inside door handles they are soo small. Thats not a real truck. I want a big lever to pull on. Something i can get my pocket stuck on and it rips my jeans

Oldsquirt
04-07-2007, 11:54 AM
Hammer, the power back window is only available on the CrewMax.
Burn504, on the new Tundra, both the inside and outside door handles were made large enough that could easily be operated by someone wearing work gloves.

HammerDown
04-07-2007, 03:27 PM
Hammer, the power back window is only available on the CrewMax.
Burn504, on the new Tundra, both the inside and outside door handles were made large enough that could easily be operated by someone wearing work gloves.
Work gloves true...but like I mentioned above, the inside door lever felt like hollow plastic handles that could simply snap away if maybe cought on a Jacket pocket etc.
I sure did want to like this Truck but maybe I'm thinking the 08 Tundra may have some boo-boo's fixed. Like adding a pwr rear slider for the Double Cab, and maybe some harder parts inside.
PS. and yes some of the parts in the Tundra felt as if they were taken/used from my 06 Corolla-S.

talkinghead
04-07-2007, 10:29 PM
Is frame flex such a bad thing (referring to the c channel sections)?
Think about an 18-wheeler when they first take off - the frame seems to flex (diagonally) considerably under the torque load of the engine.
If it were to stiff, stuff would start breaking I would think.

bigq
04-08-2007, 06:31 AM
Think about an 18-wheeler when they first take off - the frame seems to flex (diagonally) considerably under the torque load of the engine.
Plus isnt it only a .5 ton truck? Does any manufacture make a tube fram .5 ton? i know my Ford wasn't.
As far as the plastic i think they are all doing it to cut weight. I test drove an HHR once and it was embarressing how cheap it felt.

Wet Dream
04-08-2007, 06:47 AM
You are correct. The frame has to give to avoid breaking stuff. If it were rigid, everything would suffer.

HammerDown
04-08-2007, 07:00 AM
Frame Flex is needed but, I was shocked how (thin) the Frame Metal was...even the double-C section and the fully boxed section.