PDA

View Full Version : Push pin or pop up cleats???

SoCal Builder
04-08-2007, 07:56 AM
I am having a new Howard deckboat built and want to get some advice on what type of cleats to have installed. DCB seems to be using the pin cleats exclusively. I think they look the cleanest and by prerigging your buoys and ropes seem to be the most convenient. I am not sure though if you ever have a situation where you would need a standard cleat and these would be rendered unusable. I have seen boats that have both installed but they look a little busy. Can anyone with experience with the pin cleats shed some light on the subject?
Thanks.

spectras only
04-08-2007, 08:08 AM
I would use the pin cleat for fenders only . The smaller pullup cleats look clean anyway ,and more suitable to tie a rope around it securely .
http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/Pullup%20cleat

Havasu_Dreamin
04-08-2007, 09:27 AM
We went with both on our Howard Sportdeck. One pull up cleat and pin cleat in the same area. We use the pin cleats for the fenders and the pull up cleat for the dock lines.
This is what it looks like when the pin cleat is attached. Obviously when not in use there is just the round receptacle part...
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/6143DSC02714.JPG

plaster dave
04-08-2007, 09:42 AM
I have a 2000 Howard and it only had push pin cleats and I added the pop up ones with it. Congrats on being part of the Howard family.:D

SoCal Builder
04-08-2007, 11:53 AM
Curious why you went with both pins and pop ups in lieu of just pop ups and a prerigged line/clip attached to your buoys?

Havasu_Dreamin
04-08-2007, 12:06 PM
Curious why you went with both pins and pop ups in lieu of just pop ups and a prerigged line/clip attached to your buoys?
We use the lines for the fenders keeping the fenders attached to the pin all the time, what you are referring to, I think, as pre-rigged. This way all we do is slip the pin cleat in and the fender is ready to go. We use the dock lines on the pull up cleats.

SoCal Builder
04-08-2007, 12:48 PM
Sorry for the poorly worded question. let me try it again. As I see it, there are three viable options:
Both pin and pull up cleats (as you have it): entails prerigging the buoys to the pins and using the popup cleats for the dock lines.
Only pin cleats (DCB method): entails prerigging the buoys and dock lines to the pins (using double eye pin).
Only popout cleats (traditional): entails prerigging the buoys (convenient option) to a snap hook to attach to the popup cleats and attaching the dock lines to the popup cleats as well.
Curious as to why you ended up choosing option 1 over the other 2? Hope this made sense.

Havasu_Dreamin
04-08-2007, 12:55 PM
Curious as to why you ended up choosing option 1 over the other 2? Hope this made sense.
Just think it is easier and we don't have to worry about 'too much going on' at one cleat...Got one buddy with just the pin cleats and it seems like a 'chore' getting everything to tie off on one cleat. Got another buddy with 3 pull up cleats down the side and an additional pin cleat at bow and stern next to the pull up cleats and he wishes he would have done what we did and put a pin cleat by every pull up cleat...him saying he wished he would have done it played a part in us doing it...

SoCal Builder
04-08-2007, 01:39 PM
It does sound easier than either of the other options.