PDA

View Full Version : Deck boat dual props or single??

Havasu1
04-09-2007, 08:43 AM
I have a friend looking to buy a Chaparral or Four Winns type deck boat. Probably around a 24 ft (not including the swim step). They would like to get one with the 5.7L but would get a 5.0L. Most have the dual props with the Volvo motor. However, some come with the single prop. I assume the dual props are the way to go due to the weight of the boat. What do you guys think? Is it ok to go with the 5.7L with the single or would you go dual prop regardless of the motor?
thanks

Run_em_Hard
04-09-2007, 08:47 AM
I would go dual prop on a boat like that...either that or a #6:D

rrrr
04-09-2007, 09:08 AM
My Chapparal 256 (26.5', 4500 lbs.) has a 496/Bravo III. Previous boat had a 7.4/BI (24.5', 4000 lbs.), so I have a pretty good comparison.....
The BIII gets the boat up on plane and moving much faster. It's easier to dock because the duoprop has no torque steer. I like it much better.
Far as I can determine, I'm giving up less than 3 MPH top end with the BIII.....and if I was concerned about that I would have bought a different kind of boat anyway.
If your friend gets the 5.7, I think the duoprop would be a requirement.....the small block has less torque, so the counterrotating props would make more difference. He'll prolly be towing skiers and tubes, and the duoprop will be better suited to that.

Mandelon
04-09-2007, 09:13 AM
Volvo Penta drive is called the DuoProp. Makes better and faster lift to get a bigger heavier boat out of the water. Slows you down a bit on the top end I would imagine.
If he's only going 24' it may not be necessary. Try to get a water test of the two and make your decision that way. Remember when the boat is loaded up with gear, beer, ice and passengers its going to be heavier.

707dog
04-09-2007, 09:53 AM
i got the 5.7mpi with the bravo III(twin s.s's) it planes out fast even with the big kids back there on 2 tubeswith people in the boat and my top speed isnt bad i have zero complaints... i know it dont spin out when hangin sharp azz turns dodging jet-ski's:mad:

BajaMike
04-09-2007, 10:05 AM
For a 24' boat, I would go with a big block, no matter what drive you go with......a 5.7 would not be enough power for that size boat....:idea:

Deano
04-09-2007, 10:11 AM
bravo III for sure. Just tell him to buy my boat:D

Sotally Tober
04-09-2007, 10:13 AM
With that type of boat I would get a BIII. I can pull out of the hole hard even loaded with 10 people. You rarely open a boat up like that to do full throttle runs. My HO burns 33 gph at 50 mph. It just aint worth it. Its a heavy boat. The manueverabilty is great. As stated above I would seriously look at a big block.

RiverOtter
04-09-2007, 03:01 PM
I have a friend looking to buy a Chaparral or Four Winns type deck boat. Probably around a 24 ft (not including the swim step). They would like to get one with the 5.7L but would get a 5.0L. Most have the dual props with the Volvo motor. However, some come with the single prop. I assume the dual props are the way to go due to the weight of the boat. What do you guys think? Is it ok to go with the 5.7L with the single or would you go dual prop regardless of the motor?
thanks
After this Thursday I will be on my 3rd deck boat. 2 Chaparrals and now a Sea Ray. A 23 and two 24's. Tell your buddy "DO NOT GET THE 5.0!!!!! IT SUX!!!!!" Go with the 350 mag and the duo prop. I have driven a 23' chap and a 24' Sea Ray both owned by friends of mine, both with 5.0's. One had and Alpha, the other a BIII. Both sucked!!! The 5.0 just does not produce enough tourque. Any more questions PM me.