PDA

View Full Version : Now I see how they pay for the expensive homes in the OC and LA

bigq
04-09-2007, 09:19 AM
it's the buds dude!
California is in the midst of a major boom in large-scale marijuana cultivation operations run from inside homes, with authorities confiscating more than $100 million worth of pot in the last year alone, including in a series of recent raids in the suburbs of Los Angeles.
Officials with the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration say the number of indoor marijuana plants seized by federal, state and local authorities in California has quadrupled in just the last three years, from at least 54,000 plants to nearly 200,000 in 2006.
Many of those seizures have occurred in middle-class and upscale suburbs, where the pot growers took advantage of cheap home financing — and minimal credit checks — to purchase homes and remodel them into sophisticated farms, authorities said.
Using equipment that can cost as much as $75,000, the homes were transformed into illicit greenhouses complete with blacked-out windows, sophisticated irrigation, high-powered and timed lighting and ventilation devices to hide the smell of the plants.
"They have cropped up in neighborhoods like never before," said Gordon Taylor, who heads the DEA office in Sacramento. "I am not talking about the Cheech and Chong marijuana cultivation of two plants in someone's closet. I am talking about organized crime groups who are purchasing homes in our communities and creating marijuana factories."
Local authorities have discovered at least six indoor suburban pot farms in just the last month — including two this week in Rowland Heights.
The homes have been clustered throughout upscale suburbs with large Asian populations, including Diamond Bar and Chino Hills.
The Los Angeles and San Bernardino County sheriff's departments have arrested half a dozen people and expect more arrests as the investigations continue.
Since last August, officials in Northern California have arrested 16 people and seized 50 suburban pot homes and 24,000 pounds of marijuana linked to an Asian organized crime syndicate operating in Canada and the U.S.
DEA officials estimate there are 21,000 residential marijuana operations, primarily on the west coasts of Canada and the U.S., and authorities have reported cases in Florida, Georgia and parts of the East Coast.
The boom has occurred as law enforcement has cracked down on marijuana cultivation in forests and canyon parklands.
A recent series of busts in the hillsides and canyons of Orange County culminated last fall with the discovery of up to 20,000 plants flourishing in a hilly park alongside million-dollar homes in a gated Mission Viejo neighborhood. Authorities said they discovered the crop — which was the largest in the county's history, with a potential retail value of $12.5 million — by following an irrigation system that sprang from the local homeowners association's water supply.
Authorities said the field was hidden beneath brush and other vegetation in an attempt to thwart the county's regular patrols by foot and air.
"More and more, law enforcement is out there in the wilderness, and that pushes these growers to stay one step ahead of us," said Orange County Sheriff's Department spokesman Jim Amormino. "It's really a pain to search for these grows by foot, to be honest with you, because they hide them so well."
The suburban homes make sense for criminals because authorities say they can operate with little scrutiny.
Indoor pot plants are smaller than their outdoor counterparts, which are harvested once a year and produce about a pound of the drug. But the advantage of growing indoors, authorities say, is that a new crop is produced every three months or so, which over a year would equal the outdoor harvest.
Also, the indoor plants are shielded from airborne surveillance or interlopers who inadvertently find the plants or try to steal them. Between 2001 and 2005, the DEA reported that the number of outdoor plants seized nationwide rose from 3 million to nearly 5 million. The number of seizures of indoor marijuana plants jumped from about 236,000 in 2001 to 401,000 last year.
Authorities worry that home farms can attract drug violence to normally peaceful neighborhoods.
"Don't expect them to invite you inside for cookies, because they are trying to protect their indoor grow," the DEA's Taylor said.
Assistant Chief Kent Shaw with the California Bureau of Narcotics Enforcement agreed, adding that state officials already have been receiving more reports of crimes connected to the indoor marijuana operations.
"It's like a pot of gold sitting in those houses, and people are going to do whatever it takes to get their hands on it," Shaw said. "There's already been some takeover robberies of indoor grows, some that gets reported, some that does not."
Also complicating matters for police is the fact that the gangs try to conceal their operations by using layers of growers, dealers and homeowners.
"When you do catch people, you catch the lower-end people, the gardeners and caretakers," Amormino said. "The kingpins are rarely caught. They may be in another country, you never really know."
In Southern California, officials are perplexed by the sudden surge in marijuana seizures. In March, officials found an estimated $20 million in pot inside an abandoned truck in San Bernardino County.
On Wednesday, narcotics detectives served a search warrant at the homes in Rowland Heights, said Sheriff's Lt. Jim Whitten. Homes with similar growing systems have been uncovered in Diamond Bar, Pomona and Chino Hills. Investigators do not know if they are related. More than $40 million in pot has been recovered.
"The two homes in Rowland Heights are connected with the same person on the utilities," Whitten said.
Officials don't encourage anyone to take the law into their own hands, but they say neighbors can keep their eyes open for suspicious signs: Homes where trash cans are never taken to the street, where overgrown plants are never trimmed or where the gardener or pool caretaker never comes.
Smith said some pot dealers in Northern California have caught on and now hire gardeners to bring out the trash and trim the grass. Some growers now make several visits to the homes to make it appear that they are home while checking on their crops.
Gang members operating out of San Francisco set up operations in the Stockton, Modesto and Sacramento suburbs.

Coded-Dude
04-09-2007, 09:31 AM
Yeah, I just watched a news story last night discussing the possibility California imposing a state sales tax for all medical marijuana shops. Of course I'm sure our over-protective and un-wavering federal government will come on in and happily put their boots on the throats of voters and say: No Sir-E Bob!

Baja Big Dog
04-09-2007, 09:55 AM
These guys are real smart.
A bro lived down the street from the Diamond Bar bust. The dumb ass's buy a 900,000 house, dont move any furinture in, dont come home with any type of normal hours, sometimes dont show for days,no food ever taken in, and like they said, no trash ever picked up!!!
Dumb asss.:jawdrop:

2Driver
04-09-2007, 10:51 AM
These guys are real smart.
A bro lived down the street from the Diamond Bar bust. The dumb ass's buy a 900,000 house, dont move any furinture in, dont come home with any type of normal hours, sometimes dont show for days,no food ever taken in, and like they said, no trash ever picked up!!!
Dumb asss.:jawdrop:
and the $2000 a month electric and water bills, not to mention the heat signiture from the air.

SHOTKALLIN
04-09-2007, 10:57 AM
If these guys were smart they would have tried this in Ludlow or Wonder Valley. :D

Boozer
04-09-2007, 11:32 AM
More taxpayer money wasted.
If pot were to be legalized there would no longer be organized crime growing it. This would eliminate robbery takeovers and billions of dollars spent surveilling homes, obtaining warrants, and executing warrants.
Not to mention the government could tax the sh*t out of it.
Good weed costs about $100 a 1/4 oz. A corporate company can probably produce that weed for $10 an oz. They sale it for $45 a 1/4 oz and the government adds another $15 per 1/4 oz. tax. Now the pot heads are saving money by buying the legal stuff and the home growers go out of business. Not to mention the tax benefits to the state and country.

Coded-Dude
04-09-2007, 11:37 AM
^ couldn't have said it better myself.

PBOCOP
04-09-2007, 11:52 AM
I was involved in the Pomona bust that was on the news. It was the most complex and hi tech operation I have ever seen. The house was bought about 5 months ago with nothing down. Neighbors just thought they were doing some remodeling prior to moving in. The inside of the house was insane. 2500 sq ft house in a gated community above the fairgrounds. Every room was a grow, bathrooms, all bedrooms, living room, 850 gallon water tank, hi tech lighting, crazy ass electrical work that was done so good. The house was 120 degrees on entry, however, they had also installed 2 huge industrial air conditioners in the living room. Insane. Amazing someone this smart, so much time and effort, they could be a productive and wealthy member of society if they put all that effort into something else. Keep an eye on your neighbors. If you think it is, it probably is these days.
PBO

dumbandyoung
04-09-2007, 12:10 PM
If pot were to be legalized there would no longer be organized crime growing it. This would eliminate robbery takeovers and billions of dollars spent surveilling homes, obtaining warrants, and executing warrants.
Good weed costs about $100 a 1/4 oz. A corporate company can probably produce that weed for $10 an oz. They sale it for $45 a 1/4 oz and the government adds another $15 per 1/4 oz. tax. Now the pot heads are saving money by buying the legal stuff and the home growers go out of business. Not to mention the tax benefits to the state and country.
Agreed. They should just legalize pot. Its so easy to get a club card now anyways to buy it.
Oh and if they legalized it, it would force many growers to get real jobs and pay taxes.

79Challenger
04-09-2007, 12:21 PM
Here here.
BTW... 45$ a quad? Gotta get that guys number.

Baja Big Dog
04-09-2007, 12:27 PM
and the $2000 a month electric and water bills, not to mention the heat signiture from the air.
Again smart guys....they tap the incomming line from the power company, no power used by the meter, it take balls, but the risk is worth the results!!!!:eek:

Baja Big Dog
04-09-2007, 12:28 PM
Here here.
BTW... 45$ a quad? Gotta get that guys number.
This is the medical prices......think hte government isnt making money at that price....christ its a weed.:mad:

dumbandyoung
04-09-2007, 12:35 PM
Again smart guys....they tap the incomming line from the power company, no power used by the meter, it take balls, but the risk is worth the results!!!!:eek:
;)

OKIE-JET
04-09-2007, 12:42 PM
This is the medical prices......think hte government isnt making money at that price....christ its a weed.:mad:
Yeah...:2purples: I was gonna say, feel for ya bro!:cool:

CARLSON-JET
04-09-2007, 12:51 PM
I was involved in the Pomona bust that was on the news. It was the most complex and hi tech operation I have ever seen. The house was bought about 5 months ago with nothing down. Neighbors just thought they were doing some remodeling prior to moving in. The inside of the house was insane. 2500 sq ft house in a gated community above the fairgrounds. Every room was a grow, bathrooms, all bedrooms, living room, 850 gallon water tank, hi tech lighting, crazy ass electrical work that was done so good. The house was 120 degrees on entry, however, they had also installed 2 huge industrial air conditioners in the living room. Insane. Amazing someone this smart, so much time and effort, they could be a productive and wealthy member of society if they put all that effort into something else. Keep an eye on your neighbors. If you think it is, it probably is these days.
PBO
Just wondering here. As a floor covering installer I have witnessed a few rooms in houses used for this. (usually tenants) The problem was that the walls, floors and ceilings ect would be covered in mold. Almost a total loss in some instances.
So my question is, were the A.C. units preventing this ? was there any signs of mold? just wondering as it sounds like these guys knew what they were doing.
AFA legalizing drugs go. I believe the war on terror and the war on drugs go hand in hand. The U.S. policy to police the worlds drug trafficking is costing us far more then alot of folks think IMO.

uvindex
04-09-2007, 12:56 PM
Again smart guys....they tap the incomming line from the power company, no power used by the meter, it take balls, but the risk is worth the results!!!!:eek:They're not as smart as they think. If the total number of watts used by a certain group of power customers is greater than an "upstream" total the power company knows somebody's stealing power and will start poking around to find the energy thief. :)

HTRDLNCN
04-09-2007, 01:13 PM
This guy had it going on..
"The world is yours"
http://www.ebaumsworld.com/tags/pot-bust/

Baja Big Dog
04-09-2007, 01:23 PM
PBO
Im an alcholic, recovered 27 years, and I gotta tell ya I dont share your enthuiasiam in this bust, being a professional drinker I say I would much rather see the youth of today smoking pot than drinking. When was the last time you heard of guy driving the wrong way on the freeway and killing a family of 5 in an accident? Dont think you can remember that. How many times do you hear of an accident when the person involved was stoned????
How much money does the pot industry give to the crooked, lying, cheating politicians to get them elected? Oh thats right, pot is illeagel.

Coded-Dude
04-09-2007, 01:39 PM
How many times do you hear of an accident when the person involved was stoned????
Well, thats a loaded statistic.
Many alcohol related DUI's also report Marijuana drug use as being involved.
However, while they can test for current B.A.C., they CAN'T test for current T.H.C levels.
You could have smoked a day or two before, and still tested positive for weed(during the alcohol related DUI).

ROZ
04-09-2007, 09:37 PM
They're not as smart as they think. If the total number of watts used by a certain group of power customers is greater than an "upstream" total the power company knows somebody's stealing power and will start poking around to find the energy thief. :)
I heard that the wiring can be configured to run the entire operation using half the power....

C-2
04-09-2007, 10:02 PM
I had a meter lady show up, wondering if I was stealing power. Nope, turns out they just read it wrong three months in a row.
What prompted the visist? A software program flagged the abnormal change in use.
I too wondered about two things; - If the home was bought fraudulently (yeppers), and - would the power fluctuation get them.

YeLLowBoaT
04-09-2007, 10:20 PM
hey I like those guys...I've repaired 6 of those houses... they averaged 8k to repair all the damage they did...

EAZYKILLER2006
04-09-2007, 10:54 PM
exactly!

lawbreaker2
04-10-2007, 05:39 AM
A few years ago, the farm acrossed the road from my mom was a pot farm, they had a 40x 120 barn filled with pot, they had all the lights and tanks and crap you need to grow it, even the house was gutted and was filled, the farm sat back away from the road in the woods, Mom said she never smelled anything, and she never felt any body pains.:D Oh she said they were realy nice folks.:idea:

BiggusJimbus
04-10-2007, 06:31 AM
Better than having a big ass meth lab next door.

SB
04-10-2007, 10:49 AM
If legal, I don't see why it would cost anymore than carrots or broccoli. A couple bucks a pound. Plus a zillion % tax.