PDA

View Full Version : Hippies attack Ocotillo Wells

dumbandyoung
04-09-2007, 12:01 PM
ARE YOU WILLING TO GIVE UP 14,731 ACRES OF OFF-ROAD RIDING AREAS FOR GEOTHERMAL POWER DEVELOPMENT?
The San Diego Off-Road Coalition needs all off-roaders to act now. There is grave danger to one of our favorite riding areas.
The Federal Bureau of Land Management wants to lease 14,731 acres of prime off-road land to companies to build geothermal energy plants. Over 80% of the land is inside the Ocotillo Wells SVRA. The remaining acres are just east of Pole Line road and have traditionally been enjoyed for off-roading.
It is critical that off-road enthusiasts send their WRITTEN COMMENTS to the BLM to oppose this project.
If you value OCOTILLO WELLS you need to take the time to mail a comment and get ALL YOUR FRIENDS to do the same.
DO IT NOW - DON'T WAIT UNTIL THE LAST MINUTE! The San Diego Off-Road Magazine has excellent guidelines for action. Go to their Web site at for instructions. Written comments mailed have the most effect, so sit down, write and send your comments today. Written comments are being taken until April 30.
Bureau of Land Management
California Desert District Office
Attn: John Dalton
22835 Calle San Juan De Los Lagos
woinfo@blm.gov

CARLSON-JET
04-09-2007, 01:00 PM
Hippies go out to the desert to cook brain cells, not develope GEOTHERMAL POWER. :hammer2: :sleeping:

RiverToysJas
04-09-2007, 01:02 PM
I'm sure my position on this subject won't be liked but here it goes anyway.......I don't know about the rest of you, but my home electric bill has nearly doubled over the last few months. For no other reason than it costs more now. I don't even want to think about summer, when my A/C is running! IMO, We need new power generation and new power plants bad. We are pushing the edge of what the current grid can handle.
I love off-roading, and I love riding my bikes in the desert....but I use home electricity 24/7, and it's getting harder to write the check every month. IF they don't build it there, then where? Is there ever a good place to put a power plant of any kind? We need to the bite the bullet and just do it somewhere.
I'm not a hippie, I'm definately not a tree hugger....and I do think we need more power being generated in California, or we're going to be in for big problems down the road - and soon. I hope I'm wrong, and I hope they keep the riding areas open while still building new power generating plants. If they pass on this one and move it somewhere else, people who go where ever that is and do what ever it is they do will be upset. All I know is we have an energy problem and need to deal with it.
RTJas

RiverToysJas
04-09-2007, 01:05 PM
Oh, and just to be clear.......if they were closing it for owls, birds, turtles, mice, or flowers....I'd be the first one writing a letter. ;)
RTJas :D

riverbound
04-09-2007, 01:06 PM
I'm sure my position on this subject won't be liked but here it goes anyway.......I don't know about the rest of you, but my home electric bill has nearly doubled over the last few months. For no other reason than it costs more now. I don't even want to think about summer, when my A/C is running! IMO, We need new power generation and new power plants bad. We are pushing the edge of what the current grid can handle.
I love off-roading, and I love riding my bikes in the desert....but I use home electricity 24/7, and it's getting harder to write the check every month. IF they don't build it there, then where? Is there ever a good place to put a power plant of any kind? We need to the bite the bullet and just do it somewhere.
I'm not a hippie, I'm definately not a tree hugger....and I do think we need more power being generated in California, or we're going to be in for big problems down the road - and soon. I hope I'm wrong, and I hope they keep the riding areas open while still building new power generating plants. If they pass on this one and move it somewhere else, people who go where ever that is and do what ever it is they do will be upset. All I know is we have an energy problem and need to deal with it.
RTJas
What about putting them in all the areas of Glamis that have been closed down to OHVs?? ;) There are plenty of places that we as riders are NOT allowed to acces that they could place it, why not utilize those spaces and not the limited places we have to use for recreation??

dumbandyoung
04-09-2007, 01:09 PM
Or they can put in along the 40. There is miles of unused desert there. :)
I think they should start having multi uses for land rather than close it all off.
I like riverboud's idea;)

RiverToysJas
04-09-2007, 01:09 PM
What about putting them in all the areas of Glamis that have been closed down to OHVs?? ;) There are plenty of places that we as riders are NOT allowed to acces that they could place it, why not utilize those spaces and not the limited places we have to use for recreation??
Fine with me, I don't care where they put it. They can build it in my backyard for all I care. I just know we need it. I'm sure those areas of Glamis are already closed because of some owls, birds, turtles, mice, or flowers anyway. ;)
Don't GEOTHERMAL POWER plants have to be placed in areas of Geothermal Activity? :confused:

dumbandyoung
04-09-2007, 01:12 PM
that would be a great question for this guy
http://www.avonworth.k12.pa.us/spointek/images/BILL%20NYE.jpg

riverbound
04-09-2007, 01:22 PM
Fine with me, I don't care where they put it. They can build it in my backyard for all I care. I just know we need it. I'm sure those areas of Glamis are already closed because of some owls, birds, turtles, mice, or flowers anyway. ;)
Don't GEOTHERMAL POWER plants have to be placed in areas of Geothermal Activity? :confused:
they could also put it anywhere on the way to the river...tons of unused desert out there....could give everyone something to look at on the drive out there.

THOR
04-09-2007, 01:25 PM
Or they can put in along the 40. There is miles of unused desert there. :)
I think they should start having multi uses for land rather than close it all off.
I like riverboud's idea;)
A geothermal plant goes wherever there is a geothermal pocket. A plant is located above a thermal pocket, they drill about 2000-4000' deep, charge the hole by putting gas in the hole and it activates the molten brine that is used to in turn make energy. That is why there are many plants on the east side of the Salton Sea. Ocotillo is obviously on top of a therma pocket.

Captain Dan
04-09-2007, 01:25 PM
they could also put it anywhere on the way to the river...tons of unused desert out there....could give everyone something to look at on the drive out there.
and they can put windmills in the non windy areas too, but that probably wouldn't do much good.

dumbandyoung
04-09-2007, 01:31 PM
A geothermal plant goes wherever there is a geothermal pocket. A plant is located above a thermal pocket, they drill about 2000-4000' deep, charge the hole by putting gas in the hole and it activates the molten brine that is used to in turn make energy. That is why there are many plants on the east side of the Salton Sea. Ocotillo is obviously on top of a therma pocket.
oh thanks for the info!...its good to know theres a guy with facts around here. :D
maybe they can drill int0 the salton sea ;)

RiverToysJas
04-09-2007, 01:32 PM
I think there are some forms of power generating that have to be done fairly close to the point of use also, because the cost of ramping the power up for transmission is too great and makes the generation no longer viable or cost effective. I'm sure my 7yo can explain it better, but that's what understand. :D

PunkAssBitch
04-09-2007, 01:41 PM
RTJas
I completely agree with you on your position....that's why I think this is gonna be tough to fight. We all know that we NEED new sources of power, but man....there has got to be other locations that they could do this, like the 50k acres in Glamis that is shut down to OHVer's for a freakin WEED.

Dezertrider
04-09-2007, 01:50 PM
RTJas
Ocotillo is a OHV park funded by our green sticker fees. I would GUESS there are fewer then 10 OHV parks in southern California THAT WE ALL PAY FOR. If they close one area they need to open another.

Dezertrider
04-09-2007, 01:52 PM
I completely agree with you on your position....that's why I think this is gonna be tough to fight. We all know that we NEED new sources of power, but man....there has got to be other locations that they could do this, like the 50k acres in Glamis that is shut down to OHVer's for a freakin WEED.
I say we all work to get Anza Borrego state park open for more then just on road vehicles. That place has the best riding and it borders Ocotillo

edog_103
04-09-2007, 02:01 PM
I don't really see that happening. The environmentalist were able to get that part of Glamis closed due to a weed. I would think those same environmentalist would be able to stop construction of a power plant, that would completely destroy the weed. Personally I think we are facing a loosing battle. Last year Arnold signed a bill to not allow energy companies in Ca. to buy electricity from coal burning power plants. We are running out of options.

Dezertrider
04-09-2007, 02:21 PM
I don't really see that happening. The environmentalist were able to get that part of Glamis closed due to a weed. I would think those same environmentalist would be able to stop construction of a power plant, that would completely destroy the weed. Personally I think we are facing a loosing battle. Last year Arnold signed a bill to not allow energy companies in Ca. to buy electricity from coal burning power plants. We are running out of options.
We do have a few options left. Edison and San Diego Gas and Electric have new rebate programs paying Air Conditioning contractors to energy audit air conditioning systems and make repairs needed. We are working to take as much KW of the power grids without building new power plants.
To make a long story short. If your car all the sudden got 5MPG you would take it to a mechanic for repairs. There is a new tool for diagnosing AC systems and there are thousands of commercial AC units getting horrible MPG. We are improving the efficiency of existing AC units as much as 60% in some cases. This is all with out changing out the equipment and making your existing system run better with out major changes.
The best part is the power companies are paying you to save money

PunkAssBitch
04-09-2007, 02:41 PM
but think about it...why would they want to stop this? they WANT to close down the OHV area's because OHV activities are destructive to the environment & we're all a bunch of wasteful destructive selfish azzholes in their eyes. Geothermal power is considered a CLEAN energy source....and a badly needed one at that.
The thing about all of this that bothers me the most is that this has been kept quiet & not much attention has been put towards it. Alot of the locals in that area didn't know about it & this WILL literally be going on in their backyards!
Just another example of bureaucratic underhanded & manipulative con jobs, IMO....The City of San Diego pulled some crap like this a few years ago & tried to declare a substantial part of the city as "blighted". No ONE knew about it & a few of us luckily found out before it was too late. Our home was all we had (like most people) & we came very close to having property values frozen for 40 years, property taxes raised, and even risked losing our house if the developers would've gotten their way. I fought it as much as I could & did my best to put the word out. I was able to push for them to do a survey of the entire area but I sold & got the hell out of there.

andy01
04-09-2007, 03:53 PM
I think the Geothermal Power Develoment is a great idea. It will likly take years before being built and put to use. But even if it takes 5 years, it is better for the Ca. residents that use that power, it gives more people jobs, it is better for the enviorment to not have to send that power for thousands of miles from Oregan or other states. We need other ways to get power mor then people needing to go to the desert to dump oil, gas, exhaust from their old clunker dirt bikes that burn more gas then a car in a hour, dump their beer cans and tear the desert up. Yes I off road in Parker, Az not here, I have been there and it seems like a cool place. But there is only going to be more and more people in Ca. looking for power and there is only one planet earth, we need to learn how to take care of it and not just abuse it. I want my kids, kids to have a good place to live to. Best of luck in your fight, don't worry I am not a tree loving hippie. I just think some things are needed more then others.
Andy

RiverToysJas
04-09-2007, 03:57 PM
I want my kids, kids to have a good place to live to.
:eek: really, or is that just in theory? LOL

Wake Havasu
04-09-2007, 04:26 PM
As twenty plus year green sticker payer, I'd like to know in advance my return on investment.
How much will our electric or energy bill be reduced?
Put his in writing just as the need to pay OHV user fess is.
Will the monies be used to purchase other land for HV use?

3 daytona`s
04-09-2007, 04:30 PM
Hippies go out to the desert to cook brain cells, not develope GEOTHERMAL POWER. :hammer2: :sleeping:
That is too funny:)

Wheeler
04-09-2007, 04:37 PM
Put it in, before we run out of electricity!
I recently upgraded (2,880 watts) the ranch house. I now produce more power than I am using.

andy01
04-09-2007, 04:40 PM
Put it in, before we run out of electricity!
I recently upgraded (2,880 watts) the ranch house. I now produce more power than I am using.
I knew somebody that did that a while back. On a new home. He recieved so much state and federal money he would have been crazy not to. He also didn't use the power he produced all summer, but durring the winter he didn't produce enough. He used to get credit from edison when his meter was running backwards durring the summer. I think it was like 40K to do.
Andy

Wheeler
04-09-2007, 04:54 PM
I knew somebody that did that a while back. On a new home. He recieved so much state and federal money he would have been crazy not to. He also didn't use the power he produced all summer, but durring the winter he didn't produce enough. He used to get credit from edison when his meter was running backwards durring the summer. I think it was like 40K to do.
Andy
Last week, it was cloudy and I still had, 30 amps of power coming in.
I am off grid (no power co.) so I rely on the solar, or I could attach a generator, but have not needed it.
A good sized system, should cost about 25k after rebates.