PDA

View Full Version : Boat Tax Question

BADBLOWN572
04-09-2007, 02:30 PM
What is the legalities of sales tax of buying a new boat and then registering it in AZ? You do not have to pay California tax correct? There is no sales tax in the state of AZ correct?
The buyer of my Carrera (which has never been registered in AZ or CA) wants to register it in AZ. Will he get hit with sales tax?

dirtracer
04-09-2007, 02:34 PM
i bought a used boat from a dealer and they were trying to get me to pay sales tax on it in az. I believe if you go private party you can avoid the sales tax. You might be screwed on a new boat....

riverbound
From what I remember he can register it in AZ, but eventually CA will catch on and come after him for the taxes owed. I think regardless he is going to have to pay SAles tax.

h2oski2fast
As long as he takes delivery of the boat in CA he has to pay CA sales tax. If the boat was shipped to AZ, and he took possession there, then he would not have to pay CA sales tax. A bill of lading would be required.

jbone
04-09-2007, 02:37 PM
As long as he takes delivery of the boat in CA he has to pay CA sales tax. If the boat was shipped to AZ, and he took possession there, then he would not have to pay CA sales tax. A bill of lading would be required.
I think there is a requirment for the boat to remain in AZ for a period of time. 3 months comes to mind.
Storage receipts or other documentation to prove it was delivered there may be necessary.
J

BADBLOWN572
04-09-2007, 02:37 PM
Could I deliver it to him in Parker this weekend? How would I show that on a bill of lading?

h2oski2fast
04-09-2007, 02:41 PM
You would have to have it noterized (sp?). Let me make a quick phone call and get the details, then I'll ring ya.

riverbound
04-09-2007, 02:44 PM
You would have to have it noterized (sp?). Let me make a quick phone call and get the details, then I'll ring ya.
I even know of a certain notary that will be out there this weekend ;)

Cole Trickle
04-09-2007, 02:47 PM
Pretty sure when I bought my AZ delivered boat I still had to pay AZ sales tax. I was able to avoid CA luxary tax by registering in AZ.
I think you can avoid paying taxes on used boats reg in AZ.

Beer-30
04-09-2007, 03:03 PM
I think pretty much every state has some sort of tax on NEW vehicles/vessels. I know CA and AZ do.
NEW boat in AZ, you pay sales tax. City and County taxes are slightly different. Cheetah had told me it is cheaper to buy a boat from a MFG that is in the County - as they are - since County taxes were like 1% less than in the City. Not sure on the difference.
NEW boat in CA, you pay sales tax.
USED boat in AZ, no sales tax.
USED boat in CA, you pay sales tax PLUS luxury (property) tax.

andy01
04-09-2007, 03:34 PM
Sales tax on all new boats reg. in AZ, Sales tax on all used boats sold in AZ through a dealer. No sales tax in AZ on used stuff sold/bought private party. All items delivered to AZ, gas reciepts, paid shipping what ever if the guy gets the boat from you in AZ then he pays AZ new boat sales tax and may need a certificate of origan from the builder. The boat will need to stay out of the state of Ca. for 12 months, the 90 day test was changed to 12 months last year.
Andy

socalmofo
04-09-2007, 04:05 PM
Is the luxury tax in effect if you buy a new boat in California and register it in california? I have had mine for a year and no property tax bill Yet.

Phat Matt
04-09-2007, 04:13 PM
Is the luxury tax in effect if you buy a new boat in California and register it in california? I have had mine for a year and no property tax bill Yet.
You will. :)

phebus
04-09-2007, 04:31 PM
Nah, probably just a lien. :)

Chipster27
04-09-2007, 04:45 PM
I hate taxes :mad:
So if I live in CA, do not own property in AZ (or have a property hook up like some of you ;) ) and buy a used boat, private party that is currently registered in AZ, stored in AZ and will probably remain in AZ, what taxes do I have to pay?
State sales tax for AZ? Doesn't sound like it. CA sales tax? What about CA luxury tax? What if I transfer title to CA (and re-register in CA) but permanently store it in AZ?
Have I mentioned how much I hate taxes...:mad:

boatnam2
04-09-2007, 04:50 PM
Sales tax on all new boats reg. in AZ, Sales tax on all used boats sold in AZ through a dealer. No sales tax in AZ on used stuff sold/bought private party. All items delivered to AZ, gas reciepts, paid shipping what ever if the guy gets the boat from you in AZ then he pays AZ new boat sales tax and may need a certificate of origan from the builder. The boat will need to stay out of the state of Ca. for 12 months, the 90 day test was changed to 12 months last year.
Andy
yep what he said!

andy01
04-09-2007, 05:00 PM
I hate taxes :mad:
So if I live in CA, do not own property in AZ (or have a property hook up like some of you ;) ) and buy a used boat, private party that is currently registered in AZ, stored in AZ and will probably remain in AZ, what taxes do I have to pay?
State sales tax for AZ? Doesn't sound like it. CA sales tax? What about CA luxury tax? What if I transfer title to CA (and re-register in CA) but permanently store it in AZ?
Have I mentioned how much I hate taxes...:mad:
You buy the boat, loan, cash, chickens how ever you pay for it. Then you go to the AZ fish and game and pay a transfer fee. No tax on purchase price. If you change it to Ca. then you will pay sales tax on the purchase price or the value of the chickens or goats you traded him for the boat. Then you will pay personel property tax every year on the boats value to Ca. if you reg. it here. Also the Coast Gaurd states the vesel has to be registered where it is used 51 percent of the time. if you are using it in AZ then Az it is. Leave it in Az. and forget about it.
Andy

Havasu1
04-09-2007, 05:02 PM
My experience has been no sales tax on used boat through private party

phebus
04-09-2007, 05:08 PM
If I remember correctly Danny, your boat had never been registered, and was still a "dealers" boat. If so, tax would have to be paid, as it was never paid in any state, and the boat would still be considered a new boat sale.
It's true that there is no tax on a private party sale of a used vehicle in the state of Az, but that is on a vehicle (boat) that had the tax paid on it when it was sold new.

Havasu1
04-09-2007, 05:19 PM
If I remember correctly Danny, your boat had never been registered, and was still a "dealers" boat. If so, tax would have to be paid, as it was never paid in any state, and the boat would still be considered a new boat sale.
It's true that there is no tax on a private party sale of a used vehicle in the state of Az, but that is on a vehicle (boat) that had the tax paid on it when it was sold new.
Very true very true. Someone had to pay the first round of taxes.

Wheeler
04-09-2007, 05:23 PM
Andy
Exactly, as I understand it.

Beer-30
04-09-2007, 05:27 PM
Very true very true. Someone had to pay the first round of taxes.
That's the real big boner of CA. EVERY TIME a vehicle/vessel is sold again, sale tax is applied. So, sales tax could be paid an infinite number of times on any given vehicle/vessel.
So if I live in CA, do not own property in AZ (or have a property hook up like some of you ) and buy a used boat, private party that is currently registered in AZ, stored in AZ and will probably remain in AZ, what taxes do I have to pay?
Put more simply, I bought my Sleek from a pp in Scottsdale, AZ. I do not have a house or any property in AZ. I registered NON-RESIDENT in AZ for the boat. It is like $230 or so /year (now). So, the reg comes to the house, here in CA, but it is AZ reg. I pay/paid no sales or luxury tax(es). The trailer is reg'd in CA, since it touches the ground (highways). I believe this to be the happy-medium.
I have been boating on CA lakes when I am not in Havasu or other states. No patrol has given a second look. They don't care, as long as you're current.