PDA

View Full Version : Make em pay??

dumbandyoung
04-09-2007, 03:52 PM
Have any of you had a friend damage your boat or even car or truck?
My friends dogs put a few deep scratches in the gel coat and I don't know if I should make him pay. He didnt offer. Have any of you had your friends mess up your stuff?? What was the outcome?

Phat Matt
04-09-2007, 03:57 PM
Buff it out.

dumbandyoung
04-09-2007, 03:58 PM
what should I use??. If I can fix it myself with a little time and expense Id much rather do that.

WYRD
04-09-2007, 03:59 PM
sue the dog:D

79centurion
04-09-2007, 04:00 PM
If he knows and didnt offer, you probably arent going to get anything for it. If he doesnt know, tell him about it and see how he reacts. I have had friends break stuff and some have fixed it, or payed to have it fixed, and some that havent. Sometimes if its not too bad(like if you can buff it out) and is a really good friend not worth loosing a friend over, but its up to you.
Dan

Havasu_Dreamin
04-09-2007, 04:01 PM
When we had seadoos had two friends crash them into each other. They both ponied up the cash to pay without me even asking...

LGCDEVIL
04-09-2007, 04:03 PM
Out at the desert, one of my kids tried to drive his bike through a buddy's truck. I offered to pay for the damage. Didn't think twice about it.

dumbandyoung
04-09-2007, 04:06 PM
When we had seadoos had two friends crash them into each other. They both ponied up the cash to pay without me even asking...
The same thing happened to a buddy's dad...They gave him $250 and said sorry thats all we can give.
Ill try to buff it out. I just dont want to bring it up. Anyone know of a good product to use thats good on gel?

LLGirl
04-09-2007, 04:08 PM
We had the exact same thing happen (dogs scratched boat thru gel). The only difference was they offered to pay, which really made a difference! We didn't take them up on it, but just the fact that they offered was a big deal to us.

3 daytona`s
04-09-2007, 04:11 PM
My friends dogs put a few deep scratches in the gel coat and I don't know if I should make him pay. He didnt offer. Have any of you had your friends mess up your stuff?? What was the outcome?
You need all the friends you can get. Mellow Out.:rolleyes:

707dog
04-09-2007, 04:11 PM
im sure they can be buffed out...its gonna take some effort!! i would let your buddy know what happened and just fix it if he is a good friend he'll buy the materials and beer to do it!! my buddy tied his ski up to my boat without bouys while i was out on someone elses boat skiing:mad: oww ya his azz payed when i got back i was boiling:sqeyes: pulled up untied his chit and let it beat off the shore for about a hr before i told him his ski came loose:D and when we get back you'll be making a trip to get me some compound and bonnet to take the fokin rub marks out my chit...has never happined again and he has never asked too tie up either...

HefeRaton
04-09-2007, 04:17 PM
I've buffed big scratches out before. I used a green ruge bar that the truckers use to buff their chrome. Trick is to get the gel coat hot, so you'll need a high speed buffer and put about 50% pressure into it. Then buff it down with Safety Cleans cream wax.

Chico&Zeus
04-09-2007, 04:23 PM
I am always watching my dogs to make sure they don't screw up other peoples stuff, I trim their nails a couple days before we go on the lake. I do always carry some cash just in case, my big dog Zeus has grabbed more footballs out of the air and popped them than I care to count. I always give the owner $20 and apoligize, but I always try to warn people not to throw the ball to him, he loves to be destructive:D

dumbandyoung
04-09-2007, 04:30 PM
You need all the friends you can get. Mellow Out.:rolleyes:
think I was pretty mellow, if I wasn't I would've gone off on my friend. I have no idea what you are talking about... figures you always have to have one smart ass on a thread. You havnt been around talking shit on my threads lately..thanks for coming back buddy! I really missed ya!
I've buffed big scratches out before. I used a green ruge bar that the truckers use to buff their chrome. Trick is to get the gel coat hot, so you'll need a high speed buffer and put about 50% pressure into it. Then buff it down with Safety Cleans cream wax.
I will try that out. I dont know if the buffer I have is a high speed buffer. Seems to spin pretty fast to me. Thanks for the tip brotha!

blown65
04-09-2007, 04:34 PM
Prob just mention it to ur friend. Personally if they just shrug it off its one less friend to invite on the boat.

ratso
04-09-2007, 04:47 PM
Most scratches like that will come out of gelcoat. We use a gelcoat rubbing compound and then wax over that, all done with a buffer. If that doesn't do it, take it to an expert and have it sanded out and buffed. If the "friend" doesn't even offer to pay, then I wouldn't invite him again. When things like that happen to me, I'll say in a joking way "Oh man, that one is gonna cost you!":jawdrop: A friend of mine blew a motor in one of my boats last year, coulda happened to anyone, wasn't his fault and he felt bad about it... offered to help out but I wouldn't ask that of him. Negligence or total disregard for someone's property though is an entirely different story.;)

dumbandyoung
04-09-2007, 05:08 PM
Most scratches like that will come out of gelcoat. We use a gelcoat rubbing compound and then wax over that, all done with a buffer. If that doesn't do it, take it to an expert and have it sanded out and buffed. If the "friend" doesn't even offer to pay, then I wouldn't invite him again. When things like that happen to me, I'll say in a joking way "Oh man, that one is gonna cost you!":jawdrop: A friend of mine blew a motor in one of my boats last year, coulda happened to anyone, wasn't his fault and he felt bad about it... offered to help out but I wouldn't ask that of him. Negligence or total disregard for someone's property though is an entirely different story.;)
Because he didn't offer, him and his girlfriend wont be back out again. When it happened he gave me a dumbfounded look. The scratches aren't the only reason for that decision. Its really hard to take a bunch of people up to the river that dont want to contribute. Now Im not asking for money. Its just hard to run a 1 man show up there and entertain all your buddys at the same time. Some of them dont understand. I cant enjoy my weekend when I have people that cant even run down to the store to get ice or pick up after themselves at my house. I think Im pretty damn nice to let my friends come up stay at my house for free and sleep in a comfortable bed, Play with my toys, burn up my gas and some of the time drink my beer. I dont mind Ijust like a little help. Im sure most of you know what Im talking about. I think we all have those people that wont be back up ever again. Nothing against those people, but you just cant take them to the river.

3 daytona`s
04-09-2007, 05:55 PM
think I was pretty mellow, if I wasn't I would've gone off on my friend. I have no idea what you are talking about... figures you always have to have one smart ass on a thread. You havnt been around talking shit on my threads lately..thanks for coming back buddy! I really missed ya!
I will try that out. I dont know if the buffer I have is a high speed buffer. Seems to spin pretty fast to me. Thanks for the tip brotha!
Hey,appreciate the response.I guess it is not really fair to call and not define. = = = = Smatass. I don`t mean to talk "shit" on your threads as you say:rolleyes: Well any way I feel the love man and I guess will be involved much more often:)

dumbandyoung
04-09-2007, 06:08 PM
thanks bro!:D feel free its just ***boat!

lewiville
04-09-2007, 06:21 PM
bring it up like this " I was cleaning up the boat the other day and noticed some scratches, do you know anything about them"?

CAHotRodBoy
04-09-2007, 06:35 PM
Because he didn't offer, him and his girlfriend wont be back out again. When it happened he gave me a dumbfounded look. The scratches aren't the only reason for that decision. Its really hard to take a bunch of people up to the river that dont want to contribute. Now Im not asking for money. Its just hard to run a 1 man show up there and entertain all your buddys at the same time. Some of them dont understand. I cant enjoy my weekend when I have people that cant even run down to the store to get ice or pick up after themselves at my house. I think Im pretty damn nice to let my friends come up stay at my house for free and sleep in a comfortable bed, Play with my toys, burn up my gas and some of the time drink my beer. I dont mind Ijust like a little help. Im sure most of you know what Im talking about. I think we all have those people that wont be back up ever again. Nothing against those people, but you just cant take them to the river.
You're starting to learn! If the guy didn't offer you know what kind of guy he really is. Do you want those kinds of friends? I think you know now. You're gonna have to change your screen name soon! :D

whiteworks
04-09-2007, 06:40 PM
you let your buddy bring his dog, its your own fault. dogs are not really known for there ability to take care of boats:D

RT21
04-09-2007, 06:43 PM
Did the dogs jump up and scratch the boat? or did you allow them to come aboard and then they scratched the boat? If it is the latter, then I think you assumed responsibility for any damage when you agreed to let the dogs on board.

RaceFace
04-09-2007, 06:50 PM
I had a good friend and fellow Hot Boater run into the back of my wifes Yukon while it was sitting in my driveway. That was 4 years ago and there's still a marble size pucker in the rear bumper.
Years later, he accuses ME of doing it by backing up and missing the boat hitch!!!
Freegin Bizzle!!!!

plaster dave
04-09-2007, 07:02 PM
I say you tell him your dog f***ed up my boat and you need to take care of it. Remember if he is a friend you wouldn't have to say shit.:D

EAZYKILLER2006
04-09-2007, 07:09 PM
roll with it...shaits gonna happen...

dumbandyoung
04-09-2007, 07:14 PM
You're starting to learn! If the guy didn't offer you know what kind of guy he really is. Do you want those kinds of friends? I think you know now. You're gonna have to change your screen name soon! :D
Am I allowed to do a name change?? I want to but I figures it was against hot boat regulations. :D haha I guess we will have to start a pole thread to see if im smart enough yet to change my name. haha
Did the dogs jump up and scratch the boat? or did you allow them to come aboard and then they scratched the boat? If it is the latter, then I think you assumed responsibility for any damage when you agreed to let the dogs on board.

RiverDave
04-09-2007, 07:22 PM
dumbandyoung, take pictures of the boat and the scratches. I'd like to see them. After you post the pictures up, you can get some advice on how to take the scratches out.
I'm not sure why, but the way you write reminds me exactly of another member that used to be here named Fat Cat..
RD

dumbandyoung
04-09-2007, 07:34 PM
fat cat?? haha The boat is at the river and I dont have pics. I will be up next weekend so Ill take some then. Ill be bringing the boat back so i can fix it. I will of posting it up in paint/fiberglass.
ohhhh Eazykiller has a new Avi!!!!:D :D :D

Chubby4Life
04-09-2007, 09:05 PM
In my best Joe Dirt voice: "Shit'll buff out"!:D
Seriously, our dogs did the same thing to our boat. Fugg'in dogs didn't even offer to pay, so they haven't been invited out since. Sorry, had to toss that in there. I don't have the patience others do so I called the detailer. Good luck,
Chris

melbatoast
04-09-2007, 09:12 PM
asking people into your home, boat, car, etc. is opening yourself up for problems no matter what type of friends you have. People get drunk their kids are stupid and pets don't know any better these are all facts. In the future think ahead dogs are good for one thing, to bring chicks over, if that is not on the top of the list remember it is YOUR BOAT put your foot down stand like a man tell your friends to leave their muts at home. PROBLEM SOLVED!!

RT21
04-09-2007, 10:01 PM
Yikes, the way that went down makes me cringe. I would be pretty pissed about that. You could do what some suggest and let it slide. That would probably not be my route though. I always keep my dog on a leash when he is outside just so stuff like that doesnt happen. Good luck.

riverbound
04-09-2007, 10:08 PM
A real "friend" would have offered money ar at least made an attempt to fix it themselves ( I know mine would).
If these people wont make any attempts to fix damage done by them or their family (in this case a dog). then I dont think they should question why they never get invited back or are allowed on your boat.
I know Sh!t happens, its what a person does after the fact in an attempt to remedy the situation, that determines their character. It doesnt have to be $$ just a gesture would be nice.

C-2
04-09-2007, 10:28 PM
Dogs
People who smoke
Chicks with red vines or red leaks - all come with an inherent risk of damage.:D

EAZYKILLER2006
04-09-2007, 10:29 PM
:hammer2: fat cat?? haha The boat is at the river and I dont have pics. I will be up next weekend so Ill take some then. Ill be bringing the boat back so i can fix it. I will of posting it up in paint/fiberglass.
ohhhh Eazykiller has a new Avi!!!!:D :D :D
thanks for noticing:)

dumbandyoung
04-10-2007, 02:39 PM
:hammer2:
thanks for noticing:)
How could I not? ;):D