PDA

View Full Version : What to do about trying to by a used car...

PHX ATC
04-09-2007, 07:54 PM
We've found a used Escalade in La Jolla that my wife really likes. I found it in cars.com and emailed the lady last Wednesday. I asked her for more pictures and she responded Thursday night with a few more pictures. I called her and left her a message Friday morning. She emails back that her husband will call me. She follows it up with an email to call her husband and leaves his number. I call him Friday night and leave a message.
Saturday morning I call him again and again, a message. He did call back (when I was cutting the grass DOH) and left me a message. I immediatly called him back within 10 minutes and again, left a message. I called him Sunday twice and left a message (I do realize it was Easter and a Sunday).
I left him a message this morning asking him to call me and emailed him that I wanted to make an offer on his Escalade, but wanted to do it over the phone instead of over email. I guess that's an old school thing. He never called back, so I emailed him the offer along with a few questions, at noon today. I have not heard back.
I hate to be a nag or irritate them, but geez, if this guy wants to sell his wife's Escalade, then the least he could do is return an email or answer his voicemail. What gives?
I'm not desparate to purchase this exact one, but it is nice and close. I want to email him or call him and ask him if he really wants to sell it as he's being a rude jackass by not returning my calls and even attempting to chat with me about it. I resorted to email and he doesn't even return those.
Are there anymore options? Any last tactics? Should I give up? Again, I'm not married to this exact vehicle, but it's sorta driving me nuts and if he's stringing me along being a prick, then it's the least I can do by filling up his voicemail and email inbox with requests!
EDIT: There's been 2 REALLY cool peeps on here that have run VIN searches and a CARFAX for me and taken time out of their busy day to help me out. I think that's what helps drive me figure this jackass out too! Thanks a million to the 2 fellas (you know who you are) who helped me out...way cool!

RiverDave
04-09-2007, 07:57 PM
Do you live down here in San Diego?
If your out in AZ, then write him an e-mail that you'd like to have a friend go buy and just take a look at the car. PM me an a cell phone # and I'll swing by and take a look at it for you to make sure it is what it is kinda thing.
Maybe he'd take it more serious and not just another tire kicker if someone offered to show up in person?
Either way I have to head down that way this week anyways, so if I can help out shoot me a PM.
RD

BajaMike
04-09-2007, 07:59 PM
Sounds like a divorce situation.....I would stay clear....who needs more drama in your life, when just buying a car.:confused:
I would go to a dealer just because of BS like that.....who needs it, pay a little more and get the confort of dealing with professionals....
And, personally, I never, ever, call someone back who does not return a phone call the first time....they no longer exist in my world.
:idea:

Jordy
04-09-2007, 08:02 PM
Ahhh, Cadillac Cowboys down in Queen Creek, and shit... :D :D :D
Then again, I'm guessing this is the MB replacement. Baller. ;)

RaceFace
04-09-2007, 08:15 PM
I read almost the same situation in the SPAM section this morning about a Suburban......and possible trade for a Toyota. I don't get it....either advertise your s**t and sell it or STFU! I have never believed in "testing the market".
If you're gonna step up to the plate and advertise, then CUT THE CORD and SELL!!
Just my .02¢

Outnumbered
04-09-2007, 08:38 PM
I feel your pain. I have not bought used in quite a few years but back in the day that was what I always did. I cannot remember it ever being this much of a pain in the ass. I think it has a lot to do with the economy slowing and people living in the past. Same thing is happening with houses. People still think it is 2005. People remember the last car they sold a few years ago and think it is still the same demand. I am at the point that I just may buy/lease new again. I just hate to drop that kind of coin on a new rig that will be worth $15k less in 12 months:(

RaceFace
04-09-2007, 08:42 PM
I feel your pain. I have not bought used in quite a few years but back in the day that was what I always did. I cannot remember it ever being this much of a pain in the ass. I think it has a lot to do with the economy slowing and people living in the past. Same thing is happening with houses. People still think it is 2005. People remember the last car they sold a few years ago and think it is still the same demand. I am at the point that I just may buy/lease new again. I just hate to drop that kind of coin on a new rig that will be worth $15k less in 12 months:(
Hey Outnumbered, you were the one that got jacked. Sorry to hear it. You are right about the economy and living in the past....but people need to realize that something is only worth what someone will pay for it....houses, cars, etc.

Outnumbered
04-09-2007, 08:49 PM
Hey Outnumbered, you were the one that got jacked. Sorry to hear it. You are right about the economy and living in the past....but people need to realize that something is only worth what someone will pay for it....houses, cars, etc.
That would be me. Although Gay4play's price was very fair he ended up being a tease with a lot of excuses on why he could not sell his rig. It sucks but I'll live:D

locogringo
04-09-2007, 08:55 PM
Toby;
This is what i would do.
Send him a new offer about 15k higher than what he wants for it. Tell him you have cash and want to buy it today.
Then, I am sure he will be calling you non-stop. This time, don't return HIS calls and let him deal with the frustration.
I'd go find one somewhere else if the guy was that hard to get ahold of.
Good luck on that. Hope teh pony riding is going well in AZ.
Daniel

Outnumbered
04-09-2007, 09:02 PM
Toby;
This is what i would do.
Send him a new offer about 15k higher than what he wants for it. Tell him you have cash and want to buy it today.
Then, I am sure he will be calling you non-stop. This time, don't return HIS calls and let him deal with the frustration.
I'd go find one somewhere else if the guy was that hard to get ahold of.
Good luck on that. Hope teh pony riding is going well in AZ.
Daniel
This wasn't Toby. This was Gay4play AKA James AKA 4Day4play. Toby (Tobtek) was cool; he made me a sweet offer to sell but I would have to put too much into it to swap out the bucket's for the bench. So I passed on his deal.
I like your idea though:devil: :D
John

Outnumbered
04-09-2007, 09:04 PM
Just realized you were directing that at Toby PHX ATC. Oh well, I must be tired. Too many Tobys around here:D

locogringo
04-09-2007, 09:06 PM
If recollection still serves me, isn't PhxATC "Toby". I know its been a while since I posted on RRX but shiat, I remembur names:D

locogringo
04-09-2007, 09:07 PM
Just realized you were directing that at Toby PHX ATC. Oh well, I must be tired. Too many Tobys around here:D
LOL, doidn't get it on on time!
You MUST be tired Silly man

ROZ
04-09-2007, 09:25 PM
We've found a used Escalade in La Jolla that my wife really likes. I found it in cars.com and emailed the lady last Wednesday. I asked her for more pictures and she responded Thursday night with a few more pictures. I called her and left her a message Friday morning. She emails back that her husband will call me. She follows it up with an email to call her husband and leaves his number. I call him Friday night and leave a message.
Saturday morning I call him again and again, a message. He did call back (when I was cutting the grass DOH) and left me a message. I immediatly called him back within 10 minutes and again, left a message. I called him Sunday twice and left a message (I do realize it was Easter and a Sunday).
I left him a message this morning asking him to call me and emailed him that I wanted to make an offer on his Escalade, but wanted to do it over the phone instead of over email. I guess that's an old school thing. He never called back, so I emailed him the offer along with a few questions, at noon today. I have not heard back.
I hate to be a nag or irritate them, but geez, if this guy wants to sell his wife's Escalade, then the least he could do is return an email or answer his voicemail. What gives?
I'm not desparate to purchase this exact one, but it is nice and close. I want to email him or call him and ask him if he really wants to sell it as he's being a rude jackass by not returning my calls and even attempting to chat with me about it. I resorted to email and he doesn't even return those.
Are there anymore options? Any last tactics? Should I give up? Again, I'm not married to this exact vehicle, but it's sorta driving me nuts and if he's stringing me along being a prick, then it's the least I can do by filling up his voicemail and email inbox with requests!
EDIT: There's been 2 REALLY cool peeps on here that have run VIN searches and a CARFAX for me and taken time out of their busy day to help me out. I think that's what helps drive me figure this jackass out too! Thanks a million to the 2 fellas (you know who you are) who helped me out...way cool!
Toby, I am working a jobs in Del Mar and Mission Beach. I can stop by if you like...

4DAY4PLAY
04-09-2007, 10:38 PM
I read almost the same situation in the SPAM section this morning about a Suburban......and possible trade for a Toyota. I don't get it....either advertise your s**t and sell it or STFU! I have never believed in "testing the market".
If you're gonna step up to the plate and advertise, then CUT THE CORD and SELL!!
Just my .02¢
You guys just cant get over it can you? Why dont you hear the real story before judging what happened. I advertised spam for trade....and poss. for sale. I was getting a killer deal on a new vehicle, and that is the only reason why i could price it low like i did. I went to work for 4 days, straight to vacation for another 3 and when i got back i found out my deal on the new car was no longer available. During the time i was at work and vaca...i got numerous emails from people, and a phone call from outnumbered setting a day to LOOK at my car. 5 days before he was to look at it, i find out my deal fell thru so i told him i cant sell my car.....whats my family suppose to ride in? I had two options, one pay 5k more for the new car than what i expected to pay) or raise the price of my vehicle for sale 5k to make up the difference. I dont know what you think, but to me taking it off the market was the easiest solution. Remember he hadnt even seen it yet, there was no guarantees. He can say all day and night on here he was GOING to buy it, well then why didnt he wire me a deposit securing the purchase beforehand if he was so sure. Put it this way, the whole time hes sending me messages and calling me hes telling me theres "another" suburban hes gonna look at too. So just how serious was he? Im sure if a better deal came around before he saw mine he would have jumped on it and had no probel calling me and saying hes not gonna come see it. so why is what i did so wrong?

PHX ATC
04-10-2007, 06:33 AM
RD and ROZ, thanks for the offer...still no word from this couple, so I will leave another message today offering to have a bud go and look at it this week/weekend and see what response I get. I greatly appreciate it (beer will be paid).:D
Jordy...the horse poops are getting bigger, so momma needs something big enough to steer clear now instead of a smooshed MB! Actually, we still haven't gotten the MB back and she's now pissed as hell being without "her" car for 5 months.
Loco...GREAT idea! Yes, my name is still Toby.
Outnumbered...All the Toby's that you meet are cool peeps! I'm just trying to be a miniTOBTEK, except about 4 model years behind him!:D
4D4Play...Please don't jack my thread as you've explained yourself in the SPAM section. I, too, am chatting with another guy in Kansas with the same model, color, trim Escalade, about purchasing it. I'm just like Outnumbered in the fact that I will be up front and honest about talking to other carsellers on what I'm looking at. Why be sneaky? Tell it like it is and be honest. I'm sorry your deal went south, Outnumbered is a stand up guy.
Overall, I don't like buying from dealers on used vehicles because they are just as quirky as sellers. Plus, you have to pay 7% or more tax on that purchase, which, I could just as well sink into the vehicle itself instead of the state's coffers. I'm not in a hurry to purchase a vehicle, but I am ready to pull out the coin to buy this Caddy and I told him that. As the song goes, "the world is full of stupid people."
Thanks guys!:)

Dan Lorenze
04-10-2007, 07:15 AM
I'd call Jay for an LTZ and be done with it... Your wife would have a new car today with no hassles... :)

Outnumbered
04-10-2007, 08:35 AM
You guys just cant get over it can you? Why dont you hear the real story before judging what happened. I advertised spam for trade....and poss. for sale. I was getting a killer deal on a new vehicle, and that is the only reason why i could price it low like i did. I went to work for 4 days, straight to vacation for another 3 and when i got back i found out my deal on the new car was no longer available. During the time i was at work and vaca...i got numerous emails from people, and a phone call from outnumbered setting a day to LOOK at my car. 5 days before he was to look at it, i find out my deal fell thru so i told him i cant sell my car.....whats my family suppose to ride in? I had two options, one pay 5k more for the new car than what i expected to pay) or raise the price of my vehicle for sale 5k to make up the difference. I dont know what you think, but to me taking it off the market was the easiest solution. Remember he hadnt even seen it yet, there was no guarantees. He can say all day and night on here he was GOING to buy it, well then why didnt he wire me a deposit securing the purchase beforehand if he was so sure. Put it this way, the whole time hes sending me messages and calling me hes telling me theres "another" suburban hes gonna look at too. So just how serious was he? Im sure if a better deal came around before he saw mine he would have jumped on it and had no probel calling me and saying hes not gonna come see it. so why is what i did so wrong?
Sorry Toby but I can't let this clown lie and get away with it...
First off, I would not drive from Phoenix to Temecula on EASTER DAY to just LOOK at a truck.
Second, you left out the part that we discussed WIRE INSTRUCTIONS TO CHASE BANK BECAUSE YOU OWE MONEY ON IT AND DON'T HAVE THE TITLE. If I was not going to buy it why would I ask for wire instructions?
Third, tell them the real story that you sold the truck to someone else for $4k more. That is great but why not just tell me this up front and I would not have wasted my time changing my Easter family plans to come buy your truck?
Fourth, you forgot to mention that I offered to set you up with a fleet deal on a new Sequoia and guaranteed to beat your buddy's deal (which turned out to be bogus anyway and changed a few times during our exchange).
I guess I mistakenly expected some kind of loyalty here on Hot Boat that you cannot find in the Autotrader or Craigs list. But Hot Boat is not as tight as it used to be so shame on me for trusting a total stranger and then getting pissed about him not following through. Lesson learned.
Again, sorry to jack your thread Toby but maybe it will help someone else out who is shopping for a used vehicle. At least it is on topic:D

RiverDave
04-10-2007, 08:43 AM
Sorry Toby but I can't let this clown lie and get away with it...
First off, I would not drive from Phoenix to Temecula on EASTER DAY to just LOOK at a truck.
Second, you left out the part that we discussed WIRE INSTRUCTIONS TO CHASE BANK BECAUSE YOU OWE MONEY ON IT AND DON'T HAVE THE TITLE. If I was not going to buy it why would I ask for wire instructions?
Third, tell them the real story that you sold the truck to someone else for $4k more. That is great but why not just tell me this up front and I would not have wasted my time changing my Easter family plans to come buy your truck?
Fourth, you forgot to mention that I offered to set you up with a fleet deal on a new Sequoia and guaranteed to beat your buddy's deal (which turned out to be bogus anyway and changed a few times during our exchange).
I guess I mistakenly expected some kind of loyalty here on Hot Boat that you cannot find in the Autotrader or Craigs list. But Hot Boat is not as tight as it used to be so shame on me for trusting a total stranger and then getting pissed about him not following through. Lesson learned.
Again, sorry to jack your thread Toby but maybe it will help someone else out who is shopping for a used vehicle. At least it is on topic:D
God I love this place... LOL :D
I heard the slap all the way from here!
RD

Steamin' Rice
04-10-2007, 08:46 AM
Toby, doesn't this guy know who you are?? :D :D

HM
04-10-2007, 08:49 AM
RD
Wow...that was ALMOST better than the turn-key Southwind dealio!!!

Outnumbered
04-10-2007, 08:50 AM
Toby, doesn't this guy know who you are?? :D :D
Ya, tell him you will go 9/11 on his ass and send a cargo plane down on his house if he does not sell it to you:D
(note: hope that does not offend anyone but it is kinda funny:D )

HM
04-10-2007, 08:53 AM
Ya, tell him you will go 9/11 on his ass and send a cargo plane down on his house if he does not sell it to you:D
(note: hope that does not offend anyone but it is kinda funny:D )
BNB might not find that funny, but since you left out blowing out his ear drums that leads to a fatality with the use of an train horn, he might get a chuckle. :D
Oh yah Toby...cut bait and run. It is a buyer's market right now. F' 'em!!

Baja Big Dog
04-10-2007, 09:20 AM
BNB might not find that funny, but since you left out blowing out his ear drums that leads to a fatality with the use of an train horn, he might get a chuckle. :D
Oh yah Toby...cut bait and run. It is a buyer's market right now. F' 'em!!
Looks like someone is wanting to get his legs broken with a baseball bat....
We got your back, but I hope someone doesnt loose an eye over this !!:)
HONK...HONK....

HM
04-10-2007, 09:22 AM
Looks like someone is wanting to get his legs broken with a baseball bat....
We got your back, but I hope someone doesnt loose an eye over this !!:)
HONK...HONK....
It is all fun and games until the fat kid gets hurt? (by the blast of a train horn?) :D

Outnumbered
04-10-2007, 09:34 AM
Damn thread-jackers:D

HM
04-10-2007, 09:42 AM
Damn thread-jackers:D
I don't know what you are talking about. :D

Ziggy
04-10-2007, 09:43 AM
EDIT: There's been 2 REALLY cool peeps on here that have run VIN searches and a CARFAX for me and taken time out of their busy day to help me out. I think that's what helps drive me figure this jackass out too! Thanks a million to the 2 fellas (you know who you are) who helped me out...way cool!;)
Could be a divorce type of deal.........which could get you a good deal if you're patient.
Or he was fielding other offers at the same time.
Or he's still fighting with his wife over the whole idea of selling.
Offering more than he expects could get a response, maybe.
Kinda strange............

PHX ATC
04-10-2007, 12:32 PM
My anger actually worked for my benefit this time (it must be a first).:D
I scribe a scathing email asking if they are serious about selling their vehicle, telling them I've acted in good faith and the art of a business deal (kinda insulting really). I then lowered my offer by $500. Within 90 seconds of hitting the send button the guy called me and accepted my offer (includng the $500 off). He is just waiting for the title to come from the bank as he just paid it off. I'm not holding my breath, but he did say he would keep in touch each week until it arrived (he expects it next week).
No deposit given and it's contigent on the old walkaround, test drive, and what she looks like (car, not wife).
We'll see how it plays out. So far a bit bumpy, but working towards the better.
Thanks fellas, I'll be in town whether or not I'm picking it up, in a few weeks.
Toby

Ziggy
04-10-2007, 12:48 PM
My anger actually worked for my benefit this time (it must be a first).:D
I scribe a scathing email asking if they are serious about selling their vehicle, telling them I've acted in good faith and the art of a business deal (kinda insulting really). I then lowered my offer by $500. Within 90 seconds of hitting the send button the guy called me and accepted my offer (includng the $500 off). He is just waiting for the title to come from the bank as he just paid it off. I'm not holding my breath, but he did say he would keep in touch each week until it arrived (he expects it next week).
No deposit given and it's contigent on the old walkaround, test drive, and what she looks like (car, not wife).
We'll see how it plays out. So far a bit bumpy, but working towards the better.
Thanks fellas, I'll be in town whether or not I'm picking it up, in a few weeks.
TobyMake sure to warn all the San Marcos residents when you are coming to town...;) :D

riverracerx
04-10-2007, 12:54 PM
tob,
You may have angered the Dodge gods.
And hey, thanks for buying my Escalade. :rolleyes: j/k

PHX ATC
04-10-2007, 01:07 PM
Ziggy...start posting the warnings on the telephone poles and lampposts, will ya?:D
Chris...why were you such a dickhead? (NOTE: Chris is NOT a prick, he's all class):) We still have our Dodge (momma's truck) and the Lexus, the MB is still in the shop...5 months tomorrow.:devil:
Maybe I'll just fly into Carlsbad, hitchhike to a certain dealership in Carlsbad/Oceanside and hang out in their showroom, eating their cookies until this guy comes and picks me up.:)

riverracerx
04-10-2007, 02:20 PM
Sure you don't want a 2005 Envoy Denali? It has a V8! :D

ChumpChange
04-10-2007, 03:20 PM
RD
What did Smokey say? :D