PDA

View Full Version : V bottom or a Cat

eliminated1
04-09-2007, 09:06 PM
Looking at buying bigger boat love to buy a nice daytona or dcb but you get more boat for the dollar in a v hull ,Why is that? what are the advantages and disagvantages of both ?

eliminated1
04-09-2007, 09:14 PM
no opinions :eek:

76ANTHONY
04-09-2007, 09:17 PM
here on hotpontoon.com we dont have real thoughts or opinions:D :D :D

XtrmWakeborder
04-09-2007, 09:28 PM
insurance is higher on cats, but they are faster same power same size.

Run_em_Hard
04-10-2007, 04:42 AM
It also depends on where you do most your boating and how. Do you do any week long trips to Powell? Or do your just want a day boat?

eliminated1
04-10-2007, 05:52 AM
I go boating 2 days a week i live 10 minuts from the lake

Jbb
04-10-2007, 05:54 AM
Cat........superior boat......except to insure.....I wont own another vee..

Mr. Crusader 83
04-10-2007, 06:14 AM
eliminated1
Are you selling your boat? How much do you want?

shippingguy
04-10-2007, 06:15 AM
If you do not overkill the power in the cat it is very insurable and not bad. I have had two cats andwill never own another V-bottom. Like said earlier. Depends on where you boat and your boating habits.

Run_em_Hard
04-10-2007, 06:16 AM
Don't get me wrong I love cats and will own one some day, but to get the room I have in my 22' Advantage I have to step into a 26'+ cat (which I will have someday).

Jbb
04-10-2007, 06:19 AM
If you do not overkill the power in the cat
:p

shippingguy
04-10-2007, 06:32 AM
:p
:) :D

driverno8
04-10-2007, 06:36 AM
I had a v-bottom before this boat. I'll never go back to a v again. Yea, insurance sucks ass, but the ride/handling is worth it. .02ยข

Jordy
04-10-2007, 06:38 AM
Posted at 10:06 PM:
Looking at buying bigger boat love to buy a nice daytona or dcb but you get more boat for the dollar in a v hull ,Why is that? what are the advantages and disagvantages of both ?
Posted at 10:14 PM:
no opinions :eek:
You might want to have a little patience young grasshoppa... ;)

Jbb
04-10-2007, 06:48 AM
Posted at 10:06 PM:
Posted at 10:14 PM:
You might want to have a little patience young grasshoppa... ;)
Jordy.....you might want to stop hating...:D
RD SUX

Jordy
04-10-2007, 06:56 AM
Jordy.....you might want to stop hating...:D
RD SUX
That was not the hating, that was the educating... :D :D :D

catman-do
04-10-2007, 07:02 AM
For a small lake boat, I wont ever own a v-hull again. Now if i was going onto large lakes and the ocean, then i would want a v-hull. Like everyone else said, insurance is a little more. But if you cant afford a few hundred extra a year, then you shouldnt be buying a 100k+ boat.

Havasu1
04-10-2007, 07:26 AM
I have had both. I switched over to cats about five years ago. I only boat at Havasu and the cat is so much better in the chop. Me personally, I will not go back to a v-bottom as long as I am at Havasu. I have a 257 party effect and it does very well until I get into the really big chop. I am also a big fan of deck boats. As far as insurance goes, if you don't go any bigger than a 496 HO it really is not bad. I only pay $695.00 a year with $500k liablity. Not sure if that price would go up with a performance name such as Eliminator Daytona with a 496 HO. Just my .02

Havasu_Dreamin
04-10-2007, 07:42 AM
Had a 29 foot deep v and now have a 28 deckboat....won't ever go back to the deep v. Sure, the ride was great but the ride in the deck is that much better. Insurance is attainable. We've got a 525 in ours and we pay ~$700 a year...

Jbb
04-10-2007, 07:50 AM
That was not the hating, that was the educating... :D :D :D
....Noted!...

dumbandyoung
04-10-2007, 09:56 AM
***boat just had a "v-bottom or cat" issue. i suggest you find a copy. Ill sell you mine for a butterfinger.:D

Concept1
04-10-2007, 10:14 AM
I told you BUBBS, dont buy one just use mine when the new one gets here that way you dont have to tie up any loans!!!

RaceFace
04-10-2007, 10:40 AM
Had a 29 foot deep v and now have a 28 deckboat....won't ever go back to the deep v. Sure, the ride was great but the ride in the deck is that much better. Insurance is attainable. We've got a 525 in ours and we pay ~$700 a year...
Only $700? I am in the same "boat" (no pun intended...ok, maybe). I sold my boat last month and am flipping a coin on either a 28' tunnel or 28' V....I figured insurance would be alot more than that. I was paying $600 a year for a '21 jet...and I lied about my horsepower rating.

I DIG IT !
04-10-2007, 04:37 PM
I pay $500 a year for a 27 baja with a 502mpi. I allways love the cats thought I dont think that I could aford one. My 27 is pritty good size under neath. my wife and I do alot of boat camping on weekends.

Lavey29
04-10-2007, 05:35 PM
I have had 2 Daytonas previously and loved the ride and speed they provided. I now have a V bottom closed bow and it took a little while to get used to the ride. Changing water conditions affect it more and you have to be on the tabs to keep a clean level ride. It does handle big water very well though that my cats could not. I also have a very usable cabin for overnighting if needed. I was cruising at 80 couple weeks ago and the wife and kid were in the cabin watching a movie,,,little bit cold out in the morning run...Overall, I like my V bottom better then my smaller Daytona's..

Xlration Marine
04-10-2007, 06:01 PM
Let me tell ya, yes more es-periance. There is alot more time and material in a 3 piont tunnel. Go down across, up across down across up across and down across and up, thats just one layer of glass. They take an extra pull of each roll just to make one layer. Now times four pluss the resin and coring. I've done both, and a "V" is much easier. I would lay my 20' up in three days and pull on the fourth while my buddy was into the core layer on his 21' tunnel. They would lay up the sides and part of the bottum so they could stand on it to do the middle sponson. Thats why they cost more, TIME.

beaverretriever
04-10-2007, 07:17 PM
Only $700? I am in the same "boat" (no pun intended...ok, maybe). I sold my boat last month and am flipping a coin on either a 28' tunnel or 28' V....I figured insurance would be alot more than that. I was paying $600 a year for a '21 jet...and I lied about my horsepower rating.
It is a LOT more than some of the people stated. If someone is paying less than 2k a yr for Cat insurance their carrier doesn't know the whole story or the customer is not giving all the info needed.
I have contacted all these companies about Cat insurance. If they will even write you, it will be 2k or more a yr. I have been looking for a good 5+ months for cat insurance. I am in no hurry, so I will continue to look till I find the best coverage. I have not sold my V yet anyways...LOL
Allstate
Statefarm
Farmers
Progressive
Geico
American Family
Markel, who I think is part of somone else.
Allstate, my current carrier on everything I own wont even look at most high performance boats. Most insurance companies like Allstate have a GIANT, thick "do not write" book. And let me tell you, they have every boat you can think of. Allstate wouldn't even write an Ultra 23 Shadow with a 496ho.

RaceFace
04-10-2007, 07:44 PM
It is a LOT more than some of the people stated. If someone is paying less than 2k a yr for Cat insurance their carrier doesn't know the whole story or the customer is not giving all the info needed.
I have contacted all these companies about Cat insurance. If they will even write you, it will be 2k or more a yr. I have been looking for a good 5+ months for cat insurance. I am in no hurry, so I will continue to look till I find the best coverage. I have not sold my V yet anyways...LOL
Allstate
Statefarm
Farmers
Progressive
Geico
American Family
Allstate, my current carrier on everything I own wont even look at most high performance boats. Most insurance companies like Allstate have a GIANT, thick "do not write" book. And let me tell you, they have every boat you can think of. Allstate wouldn't even write an Ultra 23 Shadow with a 496ho.
That's pretty much what I had heard through the grapevine.....2k+ a year on a larger cat. I have not done any homework yet because I am still fence sitting on cat vs. V but your information seems to be more the norm of what I've heard. I am considering the 28' Magic Sceptor or Conquest Boss Cat as far as Cats. I have looked at V's but haven't come up with anything that jumps out at me and says "buy me"!
Thanks for the info Beav!! ;)

Devil's Advocate
04-10-2007, 08:39 PM
I have had 2 Daytonas previously and loved the ride and speed they provided. I now have a V bottom closed bow and it took a little while to get used to the ride. Changing water conditions affect it more and you have to be on the tabs to keep a clean level ride. It does handle big water very well though that my cats could not. I also have a very usable cabin for overnighting if needed. I was cruising at 80 couple weeks ago and the wife and kid were in the cabin watching a movie,,,little bit cold out in the morning run...Overall, I like my V bottom better then my smaller Daytona's..
Nice boat in your pic.;)

Havasu_Dreamin
04-11-2007, 06:52 AM
Allstate
Statefarm
Farmers
Progressive
Geico
American Family
28 Howard Sportdeck, 525, Progressive, somewhere around $700 per year for a $500k policy...granted it's a deckboat...

Havasu1
04-11-2007, 08:27 AM
Make an informed decision as far as insurance goes before you buy your boat. Call a few insurance companies and get quotes. Better to know ahead of time if you are going to pay $600 a year or $3,000.00 a year. Or, worse yet, no one will cover you at all. From my research, I found that staying with a 496 HO I could get affordable coverage for my Carrera 257 party effect. But you never know with those pesky insurance companies, they may just black ball some manufactures due to their performance heritage (Eliminator, DCB.....etc).