PDA

View Full Version : Family Reunion Tips & Idea's

Her454
04-10-2007, 03:06 PM
I am planning one in June, and it will be the first time the family has ALL been together since my mother passed away in 92. There are several new additions to the family since then, most I have never even met. We expect about 40-50. It will be at the lake (of course) for 3 days (pray for me LOL) and I need some idea's for categories for prizes....such as...the one who travels the farthest, youngest, oldest etc.... and then any other idea's you can come up with.
We are doing a potluck and family pic, with a pinata for the kids on one of the days but thats all I can think of. Anything else? I've never done this so I need all the help I can get LOL.
Thanks in advance.

racecar.hotshoe
04-10-2007, 03:09 PM
Your last one was a hoot!
http://timvp.com/bevscan2.jpg

Her454
04-10-2007, 03:14 PM
Your last one was a hoot!
http://timvp.com/bevscan2.jpg
ROTFLMFAO!!!! THANKS!:D

Mrs. Bordsmnj
04-10-2007, 03:19 PM
Jelloshots!!! :D :D

Debbolas
04-10-2007, 03:21 PM
T-shirts:D
We go to Lake Powell with some friends and 40 of their immediate family. They have "games" ......We have had "Survivor" type games and "Olympic" games.
We randomly divide all the people into 3 teams and each team competes in the games....
We have had "Fear Factor Food" where we ate things like salted plums and were told it was cockroach eggs....
We have had a game where we have to eat all the whip cream off of a paper plate and chew the bubble gum inside....first one to blow a bubble wins :D
The sponge game where the teams have to soak a sponge in the lake, pass it over the head and between the legs to a bucket...the first one to fill the coffee can and make the sparklers light up wins:D
We had a "sexy" walk game (I totally lost):jawdrop:
A relay race down the big sandy hill into the water and around the boat back up to the motorhome....
Her family is REALLY competetive......but fun!:D
(they might even lurk here ;))
For food I would do potluck (somehow it always works out, I don't know how, it's a mystery):D Or have each family bring their own meat to BBQ and you can provide side dishes

DeltaSigBoater
04-10-2007, 03:25 PM
There's always room for J-E-L-L-O-SHOTS!

Ziggy
04-10-2007, 03:27 PM
Don't have one..........I've heard about so many that end up with arguments and fights and nobody talks to one another every again.. :eek:
LOL,
Hopefully whatever you do everyone can enjoy the time together. I kinda like Deb's T-shirt idea.....or Hats maybe. Something that will last many years.

Mandelon
04-10-2007, 03:28 PM
Wet T-shirt contest! :D

Baja Big Dog
04-10-2007, 03:32 PM
Better wear some clean underware, Ive picked up some sweet puzzy at family reunions!!:D

djunkie
04-10-2007, 03:37 PM
Wet T-shirt contest! :D
I was thinking body painting for the ladies and a good photographer so we can all enjoy. :D :D

Cas
04-10-2007, 03:42 PM
Scavenger hunts are usually fun....use some family related items/pictures.
Bun Darts! that's always good for lots of laughs :D
a slide show
give each one a banjo or harmonica and have a Mullet Mountain ho-down

Debbolas
04-10-2007, 03:43 PM
made a display family tree out of 1/8 plywood and glued it to a cork backing. Then we put pictures of everyone on the tree, so we (us younger un-iformed types) could tell when person came from which part of the family. We put little halos for the departed folks.
This is a GREAT idea :D

SummitKarl
04-10-2007, 03:43 PM
I am planning one in June, and it will be the first time the family has ALL been together since my mother passed away in 92. There are several new additions to the family since then, most I have never even met. We expect about 40-50. It will be at the lake (of course) for 3 days (pray for me LOL) and I need some idea's for categories for prizes....such as...the one who travels the farthest, youngest, oldest etc.... and then any other idea's you can come up with.
We are doing a potluck and family pic, with a pinata for the kids on one of the days but thats all I can think of. Anything else? I've never done this so I need all the help I can get LOL.
Thanks in advance.
bring your YAPTOP...and share each one of your 12k+ posts with the family:D :D

CARLSON-JET
04-10-2007, 03:57 PM
This is a perfect time to gather some great family stories and other information. As we get older and lose a few family members stories get clouded and memories start to fade. Taking advantage of this special time to record some good information is a great way to learn from one of our best assets... Family.. Your title offers a great google search with unlimited potential. I did a quik search using "family reunion tips genealogy" and it results in some great information.
Has anybody documented your family history?
It sounds like you are excited about the reunion. I hope you guys have a great time.

Her454
04-10-2007, 03:57 PM
WOW, there are alot of great idea's here! I've already looked into T-Shirts and my nephew is actually drawing the pic for the shirt. He is very talented. He drew a really cool pic of a v-drive pulling a single skier (we may not be a close family, but we are all hard core old school ski freaks) and its really cool. I also dug some old pics of all of us kids (there are 6) waterskiing at some point in our life and am going to sand down one of my dads old waterski's and then gloss over the pics on the ski. I figure my brother is coming the furthest (from Ark) and he is the most sentimental so that can be for him :) That is, if I can find time to finish it. I can also get some old movie footage that has already been converted to DVD of camping (before my time even) that has the family skiing and camping etc. I guess I could play the movies on the DVD player in the trailer..... never thought of that. THANKS everyone, keep the idea's coming! :D

CARLSON-JET
04-10-2007, 03:59 PM
We had a good one a few years back. We had a shady area for the Older ones to talk, tables for pictures.
BBQ in the afternoon.
Softball tournament for younger folks. Horseshoes would be good too.
I made a display family tree out of 1/8 plywood and glued it to a cork backing. Then we put pictures of everyone on the tree, so we (us younger un-iformed types) could tell when person came from which part of the family. We put little halos for the departed folks.
At night we got together for dinner, speeches and slides and home movies.
That could pretty much go on for three days if you add a brunch, some water skiing and beer.
We have some amatuer historians so the dug up some cool stuff that was not common knowledge. That side of the family was Irish...so we thought. It turns out great, great gramma was German an used to cheer for Hitler during WWII...they kept her off the street. My great granmma was going to write the great american novel about their travel from Minnesota to LA. Se started off pretty good, a page and a half of nice prose for the first day. A short page the second day. A quick paragraph the third day. After a week she just kept writing "more mud".
Any traditions or family food favorites to include? We can't have a frickin' reunion without going to Vinces Spaghetti.
Those are some great ideas.. It sounds like your reunions are very well planned and awesome to boot. Your family is very lucky to have those types of members.

Her454
04-10-2007, 03:59 PM
This is a perfect time to gather some great family stories and other information. As we get older and lose a few family members stories get clouded and memories start to fade. Taking advantage of this special time to record some good information is a great way to learn from one of our best assets... Family.. Your title offers a great google search with unlimited potential. I did a quik search using "family reunion tips genealogy" and it results in some great information.
Has anybody documented your family history?
It sounds like you are excited about the reunion. I hope you guys have a great time.
This is a great idea, unfortunatly I don't have the time to do any more research than I've already done and don't think anyone else will volunteer LOL. I did start a site on Myfamily.com though and its been absolutly fantastic in bringing our family together after MANY years. I HIGHLY recommend it.
I LOVE THE HALO IDEA, THAT IS SO CUTE.

Cas
04-10-2007, 05:42 PM
if you don't have anyone doing the t-shirts yet, email me the artwork and I'll see what the guy I use can do for you.

3 daytona`s
04-10-2007, 05:56 PM
Thanks in advance.
The bad thing can not choose your relatives:)

Her454
04-10-2007, 07:16 PM
if you don't have anyone doing the t-shirts yet, email me the artwork and I'll see what the guy I use can do for you.
Thanks Steve, I'll send it to you in a few days, as soon as I get it from my nephew. Really appreciate it.
T

Ziggy
04-10-2007, 07:26 PM
I'd suggest a professional photog to document everything without you having to do anything but pay him/her. Digital forever memories easily shared with all the relatives.............or print them for the worldly ripened folks;)

Her454
04-10-2007, 07:58 PM
I'd suggest a professional photog to document everything without you having to do anything but pay him/her. Digital forever memories easily shared with all the relatives.............or print them for the worldly ripened folks;)
Another great idea! Thanks Zig.
Hey DILLIGAF, what about you, don't you have a reunion every year as well? Have any idea's:D

Jetboatguru
04-10-2007, 08:16 PM
Do it in the POOPER!!!
Ooops sorry, wrong thread!:D

DeltaSigBoater
04-10-2007, 08:43 PM
Beer Pong & Flip Cup :D
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g224/CRD81/WhtsYrGm.jpg

Her454
04-11-2007, 09:10 AM
Do it in the POOPER!!!
Ooops sorry, wrong thread!:D
Well hello stranger. And I mean..........STRANGE.

DILLIGAF
04-11-2007, 09:41 AM
Thanks in advance.
Well, last year we started resuming the reunions again. We decided to put together a DVD with music covering my Mother and Dads life together. We all contributed pics we had to make it special. The DVD was about 20 minutes long and one of my sisters picked out the music to play. It was very touching and my Mom really appreciated it. We had not had one since my Father had passed away so it really tugged at the heart strings.
I had it at my house in AZ and had my boat in the water to run perople out on rides and so forth. It became a little more work for me than I wanted but everybody had a good time and were happy to be together again so it made it worthwhile.
One of the bro-in-laws is very good with a camera so he took all the pictures and so forth.
Yep, good luck T :)

DILLIGAF
04-11-2007, 09:44 AM
Oh ya... DO NOT exclude anybody. Everybody is welcome regardless of inner-conflicts. You WILL check that shit at the door and come in with a good attitude. Once it is over you can go back to hatin' each other if you want. The reunion is NOT the time for selfish, drama filled behavior. You have to make this perfectly clear to everybody T.
One of my brothers did not come because he couldn't leave that shit at the door. His loss.

Sleek-Jet
04-11-2007, 09:46 AM
Make sure there is enough for all the kids... :D

DILLIGAF
04-11-2007, 09:47 AM
If there are drinking issues BAN alcohol. Simple as that!

76ANTHONY
04-11-2007, 09:49 AM
so heres my advise. wet t-shirt contest, then from there get all the kids really drunk and watch them run around puking, then get a bounce house and get a shiatload of babyoil, throw that in there and put all the sexy women in there to wrestle, while all the guys take pics and post them on hot boat...wooohoooooo when should i show up?:D :D :D
oh and there are some good REALISTIC ideas in this thread..:D

DILLIGAF
04-11-2007, 09:53 AM
More :)
We took all the costs for food, drinks, DVD's, T-Shirts, etc...and threw it in a lump sum and divided it between all attendees. It didn't really cost that much to do it this way. We excluided any kids 12 and under from this. We also decided we would start having them again but on a every two year basis and that it would rotate between Northern/Southern Ca.
We even flew in my Mothers sister from W VA as a surprise to her. That was cool to see the look on my Mom's face :)

Ziggy
04-11-2007, 10:05 AM
Oh ya... DO NOT exclude anybody. Everybody is welcome regardless of inner-conflicts. You WILL check that shit at the door and come in with a good attitude. Once it is over you can go back to hatin' each other if you want. The reunion is NOT the time for selfish, drama filled behavior. You have to make this perfectly clear to everybody T.
One of my brothers did not come because he couldn't leave that shit at the door. His loss.
Thats a great way of doing it...then nobody can cry about not being invited. Mature people have to do this on a daily basis at work anyhow, why not give it a whirl for family too. I like it.

Her454
04-11-2007, 11:11 AM
We are doing exactly that Tom, except one. My brother from Florida can't seem to let things go so his loss. Too bad actually. Thanks for the tips, I appreciate it!

DILLIGAF
04-11-2007, 11:17 AM
We are doing exactly that Tom, except one. My brother from Florida can't seem to let things go so his loss. Too bad actually. Thanks for the tips, I appreciate it!
Your welcome. That is when you tell him it is sad that his personal issues come before the family unit. Tell him he is selfish and petty if he can't let it go for a weekend. We photo-chopped my brother who didn't come into some of the pics. I didn't agree to that but I wasn't doing the work so I really just kept my mouth shut.

Baja Big Dog
04-11-2007, 12:16 PM
Bring Train Whistles......there always fun...and dont forget the baseball bats!!!:D

Tom Brown
04-11-2007, 01:56 PM
For the ladies, all you need is a box of ping pong balls and laundry basket. :cool: